Women's Super League & Championship 2021-22 (tiers 1 & 2)

mxhornet

Reserve Team Star
Why are there so many three-week breaks in the calendar? International breaks in the Men's game are only two weeks.
League Cup is in a group format for the earlier stages and has been played at weekends in past seasons.

rambler77

Youth Team Regular
Leicester City will not be playing out of Quorn FC.
I have not seen anything confirmed but heard that they will be @ the Leicestershire & Rutland FA ground @ Holmes Park, Whetstone.

Swindon Addick

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Charlton Athletic, Cambridge City
Ground changes:

Bad news for hoppers as Sheffield United have moved in with Chesterfield FC so no longer offer a chance to tick a non-football ground.

Leicester City have been tight-lipped about where they're playing this season, with venues showing as TBC on their opponents' fixture lists. They've been using the old LCFC training ground at Belvoir Drive, Aylestone for pre-season games but I don't think that meets the grading for WSL.

Meanwhile, just to confirm it will be one up one down for both WSL and Championship this season, which is the normal arrangement. The winner of the playoff between the winners of the two tier 3 divisions gets the one promotion slot into the Championship, if they meet the licence conditions.

007Dale

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Leicester City, St Albans City
Ground changes:

Leicester City have been tight-lipped about where they're playing this season, with venues showing as TBC on their opponents' fixture lists. They've been using the old LCFC training ground at Belvoir Drive, Aylestone for pre-season games but I don't think that meets the grading for WSL.

It’s been announced that the majority of games will be played at the King Power Stadium.

Any that can’t be staged due to clashes with the men’s teams will move to Burton Albion. I believe two games at the Pirelli have already been confirmed.

Big move this for the women’s game. Knowing the owners, they’ll be targeting some top-end four figure crowds.

Swindon Addick

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Some ground updates. Everton are playing their first game of the season at Goodison, as a one-off. Leicester are playing 3 times at Burton Albion, with the rest at the King Power. Meanwhile Watford have moved 5 of their 11 league games, including the first 3, to Vicarage Road, with the remainder at Kings Langley as previously advertised.

It looks like tonight's Friday WSL game is a one-off, but games in the rest of the season will be scattered across the Saturdays and Sundays for the benefit of Sky and the BBC. Check times and venues on the FA website before travelling!

Another change I missed at the time - Coventry United have joined Charlton in going full-time. I think that makes 7 full-time and 5 part-time in the Championship (but don't quote me on that - it isn't easy to find out, as clubs aren't required to confirm anything other than that they're meeting the minimum 18 hours per week.

The BBC have announced their TV, radio and streaming plans for the first couple of months. The TV games seem to be mainly Sunday lunchtimes on BBC 2, with occasional Saturday lunchtimes on BBC1 instead. Also a fair few games on 5Live commentary. The FA Player site should have everything WSL that isn't going to be on TV, plus one Championship game per week (the latter on FA Player only).

Sat 4 Sep 13.30 Everton v Man City BBC1
Sun 12 Sep 12.30 Chelsea v Everton BBC2
Sun 26 Sep 12.30 Man United v Chelsea BBC2

SimonUpNorth

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
North West non-league
When Man United Women joined the Championship in 2018, this was the press release Man United put out : https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...ens-championship-after-successful-application

"...will be based at The Cliff, the club’s historic training ground in Salford, once redevelopment work has been completed."

So is the redevelopment work done, and are they based there? Are there plans to play home games there rather than miles away in Leigh?

Swindon Addick

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
There was briefly a lot of excitement at the prospect of being able to watch games there, but as far as I know the idea was dropped pretty much immediately. I think they worked out it was going to need too much work to meet the grading for WSL.

bcfcdave

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Bristol City, Yate Town, Chipping Sodbury Town
It's quite a big site so the footprint might be different to pitches used previously. Does that re-interest anyone?
It should, it’s a completely separate new build two fields over from the training pitches that they used to use at QEH. If Dundee and Dundee Utd are treated as separate venues then so should this, it’s a similar distance 👍

007Dale

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Leicester City, St Albans City
Leicester City’s first match at the KP drew a rather impressive crowed of nearly 4,500, even if the result didn’t go to plan.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks