Who will be the next high street chain to bite the bullet?

Kirby Knitters

First Team Regular
It's companies like the above that started driving people (no pun intended) to the out of town shopping centres years ago, helped of course by local authorities who charge to park for someone to nip in a shop for a couple of minutes. They will not be missed.

Belushi

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Coventry City
In March 1976 the Brent Cross Centre, the UK's first out-of-town shopping centre, was opened.

The beginning of the end for High Street shopping.

Tykeoldboy

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Doncaster Rovers
Everton
NCP wants rent cut but will fine a motorist an exorbitant amount for overstaying by 1 minute.

007Dale

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Leicester City, St Albans City
Some positive news for the high street, Wendy’s fast food chain is to open 400 stores in the UK and create 12,000 jobs.

Not my bag, but some rare good news.

Tykeoldboy

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Doncaster Rovers
Everton
Some positive news for the high street, Wendy’s fast food chain is to open 400 stores in the UK and create 12,000 jobs.

Not my bag, but some rare good news.
Any news of new jobs is great, no matter who is creating them. I can see some High Streets having a McDonalds, Greggs, Wendy's, KFC and Burger King side by side. At least it will fill empty outlets

Climate Change

Reserve Team Sub
Some positive news for the high street, Wendy’s fast food chain is to open 400 stores in the UK
They had one by Oxford Circus in mid 80's......much better than Maccy D etc.

Manchester Warrior

Reserve Team Sub
Always thought that the fine dining experience was far superior at a Wimpy's, which apparently still has 71 outlets up and down the country, albeit none near me.

And it still surprises me that MuckyD's still represent themselves as being a "restaurant". At a restaurant, I normally expect my freshly cooked food to be served by a waiter or waitress, and for cutlery and crockery to be provided. ;)

Cowden Andy

Reserve Team Hopeful
Always thought that the fine dining experience was far superior at a Wimpy's, which apparently still has 71 outlets up and down the country, albeit none near me.

And it still surprises me that MuckyD's still represent themselves as being a "restaurant". At a restaurant, I normally expect my freshly cooked food to be served by a waiter or waitress, and for cutlery and crockery to be provided. ;)
I used to like Wimpy as a kid. We had one on Cowden High Street.
Last time I had one was in Dingwall when we played Ross County.

Kingsmere

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Rampant Rangers
There is one in Bicester Market Square, it's not very good. Not that I like burgers and there are loads of other fast food outlets nearby probably 15 or 20.

LeedsPhil

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Leeds + groundhopping
Only three in Scotland. Dingwall, Kilmarnock and - erm - the go to footballing location that is Fraserburgh.
The football is by far the best thing to be going to Fraserburgh for, so it is a "go-to footballing location". Highly recommended - lovely 1921 wooden stand, iconic view from the far side looking towards that stand and the tall-steepled church behind.
There is a large display board on the far side onto which are hooked the names of those local fishing vessels that are out at sea - keep in mind those members of the community putting their lives at risk out there whilst you're sitting comfortably on dry land.
So whenever I'm in Fraserburgh, I eat fish, not burgers!

bakis

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Kidderminster Harriers
Indeed, lemon sole at Findlay's in Fraserburgh is about the best fish & chip (sorry, fish supper) experience there is. In contrast to Peterhead, where I've resorted to a pizza as, unless I've missed something, there's only one chippy and it didn't look very promising.

Manchester Warrior

Reserve Team Sub
In contrast to Peterhead, where I've resorted to a pizza as, unless I've missed something, there's only one chippy and it didn't look very promising.
Made do with Morrison's supermarket café the last couple of times I've been to Peterhead!

007Dale

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Leicester City, St Albans City
A small bit of more positive news, the large Debenhams store at the ‘Roaring Meg’ Retail Park in Stevenage is being taken over by M&S (subject to planning permission).

I’m not sure this is going to be replicated up and down the country, as most likely M&S already exists in most places where a Debenhams is closing - but it’s another 80 jobs saved / created.

Cowden Andy

Reserve Team Hopeful
A small bit of more positive news, the large Debenhams store at the ‘Roaring Meg’ Retail Park in Stevenage is being taken over by M&S (subject to planning permission).

I’m not sure this is going to be replicated up and down the country, as most likely M&S already exists in most places where a Debenhams is closing - but it’s another 80 jobs saved / created.
That’s something positive for the area.
Debenhams had a 2 level shop in the kingsgate shopping centre in Dunfermline.
Be a hard sell trying to get someone to take that over, M&S are already in the centre so it won’t be them.

Oxpete

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Pompey
Short piece here...

Broadmarsh shopping centre demolition

...about the planned demolition of the now empty Broadmarsh shopping-centre in Nottingham, along with the Nicholson shopping-centre in Maidenhead.

These sorts of shopping-centres seem to be a death's door now...

The one on East Bargate in Southampton city centre was supposed to be rebuilt, redesigned and reopened in time for 2019 - instead they just knocked it down and have now left a large space of empty land.

There's one in Stockton-On-Tees that the local council plan to demolish and turn into a park.

The Clarendon Centre in central Oxford is now empty apart for TK-Maxx and a Costa Coffee.

The Cascades in Portsmouth is almost empty as all the businesses have gravitated to Gunwharf.

The Meridian Centre in Havant: half-empty.

The Broad Street Mall in Reading: half empty.

The Quadrant in Swansea: almost empty. And the St.David's Centre being demolished.

Mek

Youth Team Starter
Surprised Pete you didn't mention the Tricorn Centre, long departed now of course.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock