Which ground is this?

Chris1963

Reserve Team Star
Regardless of the identity of the ground, the first thing that I noticed was the gable on the stand, which is very similar to the one on the old main stand at Anfield.

prorege

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Not convinced.

Here is the pre-World War One Tynecastle stand.

1603974052266.png

The picture in the original post definitely isn't the stand that was there from 1913-2017.

1603974182218.png

Chris1963

Reserve Team Star
Unlikely, because of what appears to be houses high above the stand in the team photo. Kilmarnock's ground is on flat land.

Mr. T

Youth Team Regular
The only other arched gable* that I have found was at Ibrox in the 1920s. Use your imagination when examining Piehut's photo and you can see a low white wall and cinder track behind the players. The buildings beyond are...well...almost a match. The problem with the Ibrox arch is that it is open-fronted and has no decorative finial on it, so not that convincing...

What is the writing on the roof of the mystery photo?

*Is it a gable or is there another term?

Ibrox 2.jpg

Ibrox 3.jpg

prorege

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Fife clubs
1603982163976.png

Quite similar to this. Original photo seems to have an anchor motif above the roof.

LeedsPhil

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Leeds + groundhopping
I was up half the night searching through historic photos of various Scottish grounds, without any successful snap. I also found those Ibrox photos but it clearly isn't that - the OP's gable is tighter-arched (so for the same reason it isn't Anfield either) and has fewer uprights to the end of the stand. And as Chris also noticed, the buildings outside the ground imply it's one that's not on flat ground.

I was hoping the fount of all knowledge prorege would put me out of my torment when he got up for his breakfast! That it's stumping even him shows what a toughie this one is...

prorege

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Fife clubs
jiib5w.jpg
A better view of Ibrox. Not the same stand as the original post.

Mr. T

Youth Team Regular
That's a painting with the height of the roof greatly exaggerated.

Mr. T

Youth Team Regular
Original photo seems to have an anchor motif above the roof.
I thought at first it might be a cross but an anchor is more convincing. I haven't found one amongst club emblems.

johnr

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
NUFC (retired)
Could it be Ayresome Park, coming from the NE friendlies over the border have always been common??

prorege

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Fife clubs
So the team is Hibs, sometime between 1914 and 1928. It was unusual to have 16 men stripped for a game at that time.

The "new" main stand at Easter Road was built in 1922. It's not that stand, and what was there beforehand wasn't as big as that.

Definitely an anchor motif.

aaaa.png

prorege

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Fife clubs
ayresome.jpgaresome.jpg

Ayresome Park

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks