• Welcome... you are currently viewing the Forum as a Guest. If you create an account or log in if you aleady have one you will see less adverts and will have the opporunity to remove the adverts altogether for just £1.50 a month by upgrading in your Profile screen... the Ads and Upgrades provide the funds to keep NLM online.... Thanks

Where Did You Go? - Rugby Union 2021/22

R.S.Cavendish

Youth Team Regular
Saturday 9th October 2021

ABERCYNON 21 MOUNTAIN ASH 17

@ Park Road
Attendance : circa 2,200

A local derby in the true tradition of rugby in the valleys. Last night the reserve teams played in front of a crowd exceeding one thousand with £6,000 taken at the club bar. Today it was the first teams in action with a crowd suggested by the gatemen of being around 2,200; and the chairman estimating that today's bar profit will be in the region of £15,000.
The ground in the Cynon Valley is as picturesque as any with the rock-face eastern side rising high above the main pitch. The grandstand was full with the long raised terracing holding at least half of the crowd. The temporary bar by the pitch side had queues all during the match while the refreshment hut was civilised enough to have cappuccino available.
After each side had exchanged early penalties with Cynon then adding two more, Mount hit back with a try from John Cushion which was duly converted. Mount went further ahead three minutes after the break with Rob Davies having his try converted by the excellent Callum Hall. Then Cynon started to fight back.
It had been eight years since they last entertained their neighbours from three miles up the road. Two league divisions separated them. Valley pride was at stake. Fifteen minutes from full-time Kieran Hawkins ran down the left channel to score: James Dixon converted. There was now only one point between the sides.
With the crowd roaring them on Cynon finally got the winning try three minutes from time when Daniel Wilson went over on the very far left side. Dixon's attempted conversion smacked against the crossbar but in the end it didn't matter. The final whistle saw the very unusual rugby sight of a pitch invasion by joyous Cynon fans.
It had been a wonderfully tense game of rugby played in the right spirit. A terrific advertisement for the game.

fatbear

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Brighton, Crawley, Oxford City, Thame United
Chinnor 20-23 Darlington Mowden Park
Attendance : 400 approx
National League One

A deserved win for DMP who made less errors and forced Chinnor into conceding far too many penalties. On this evidence both sides are unlikely to be in the top half of mid-table.

Full match report attached for anyone interested

R.S.Cavendish

Youth Team Regular
BRYNMAWR 62 ABERGAVENNY 12

@ Blaenavon Road
Attendance : 430

Brynmawr is situated by the peak of the Heads-of-the-Valley road and is accessible with ease from most parts of South and East Wales. The town is in two parts: the old mining village with a depressing number of shops boarded up, and the new town which contains most acceptable and pleasant housing along with the rugby club. The ground borders on being picturesque with a well seated stand and banking for standing built into the southern and eastern sides.
With only local pride to play for, both sides gave their all in this most entertaining and enjoyable round-robin cup fixture. The game started to the sound of the Abertillery Male Voice Choir and finished to the noise of a standing ovation given to both teams for a tremendous afternoon's effort.
The match saw twelves tries, ten of which went to Brynmawr with Mitchell Rankine getting a hat-trick and Liam Butler successful with six conversions. Bradley Amphlett scored the try of the game when he used his enormous bulk to charge through the visitor's defence with players seemingly just bouncing off him.

mxhornet

First Team Hopeful
Saturday 16th October
Norwich Union - 22 Newmarket - 22
London 3 Eastern Counties
Sprowston Cricket Ground
Attendance - 50ish
Admission - free
Programme - none

As with a fortnight ago my options were very limited and again relying on 3pm kick off within a few miles of home. My second visit to this venue for rugby union, last visit was for cricket on August bank holiday and many years ago I did visit for football (Sprowston Wanderers), it is still in use for all three sports.
Newmarket broke the deadlock with a 16th minute penalty, then scored a converted try after 24 minutes before NU hit back with a converted try 8 minutes later, 7-10 at half time. NU scored a try 3 minutes in to second half to then lead 12-10, Newmarket hit back 6 minutes later with another converted try to make it 12-17 and extended their lead with another try after 63 minutes (12-22). Newmarket had a player sin binned after 68 minutes during which NU scored a try and added another well in to stoppage time to tie the game up at 22 a piece with another missed conversion costing NU the win. My first ever rugby union draw.

PaulC

Reserve Team Starter
Keswick 13-17 Anselmians
Northern - North Two West
Davidson Park
Attendance 150 Free admission.

On holiday in the area and didn’t fancy Keswick Reserves in the Westmorland League.

A highly entertaining game in which the visitors from Birkenhead just managed to hang on and maintain their 100% league record. Mind you, they made it hard for themselves with three separate sin bin episodes.

Daveh

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
St Ives Town
Sat 16 October
National Div 1
Cambridge 22 Caldy 22
Attendance 350-400
Adm £10
prog - online only

First ever club union match. No idea of the laws but a most enjoyable afternoon. Cambridge 15-3 up ht, but Caldy the better side 2nd half.

Hard standing with the clubhouse down one side. 1st team pitch isn’t enclosed and there’s several surrounding pitches. Cambridge 3rds we’re playing on the adjacent pitch.

Daveh

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
St Ives Town
Did you spot Jeffrey Archer there? He is a regular at Cambridge home games.
I didn’t see him and I was keeping an eye out for him. My wife has seen him there before as she’s a season ticket holder.

fatbear

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Sat 16 October
National Div 1
Cambridge 22 Caldy 22
Attendance 350-400
Adm £10
prog - online only

First ever club union match. No idea of the laws but a most enjoyable afternoon. Cambridge 15-3 up ht, but Caldy the better side 2nd half.

Hard standing with the clubhouse down one side. 1st team pitch isn’t enclosed and there’s several surrounding pitches. Cambridge 3rds we’re playing on the adjacent pitch.
Attendance given as 433.

Cambridge are at Chinnor this week-end so there is a fair chance I might go and watch them !

Ostrich

Junior Team Star
23/10/21: Tribute Somerset 3 South
Wincanton RFC vs Midsomer Norton III
F&N, attendance 32

Wincanton have been on my bucket shop list for at least the last four years, during which time they’ve folded, reinvented themselves and changed location. Previously up at Dancing Lane, using the secondary school’s pitches and changing rooms, they are now down at the Wincanton Sports Centre (Moor Lane) on the other side of town, with their pitch behind the Maddocks Pavilion and Wincanton FC’s main stadium. There’s no furniture, not even a scoreboard, but there is what at first sight appeared to be a pair of medieval stocks on the side-line but turned out on closer inspection to be an extremely ancient scrummaging machine …...

The first problem was to find on arrival that only half the car-park was in use, with the other half set aside for a travelling funfair, which was just cranking up to open. Having managed to wedge the Ostrichmobile into a corner, I wandered over to the Pavilion, the main door of which was, due to the burgeoning pandemic cases, festooned with Somerset County Council Covid pronouncements - Nobody allowed in except on business, Facemasks shall be worn, so on. I didn't bother entering.

The second problem was Midsomer Norton. Had they turned up? No obvious sign until they emerged from the changing-room complex at 14:52. Who ever heard of a rugby union team not spending at least 40 minutes out on the pitch warming up? Wincanton had been out there for at least that time. The referee gave Midsomer a short time to practice a few set pieces and we commenced at 15:04. At 15:06, a Wincanton player went down in midfield and didn’t get up – it didn’t look good. A neck injury, I subsequently learnt, and (understandable in the circumstances) nobody wanted to move him off the pitch. In the light of that, I decamped through a hole in the hedge to go watch Wincanton Reserves in action (see FDYG thread).

At half-time in the soccer, I returned to the rugby pitch to see if the fixture had been formally abandoned - and found that not only that they’d resumed play, it was now 7-7! Dilemma – return to the rest of the rugby game or continue watching the soccer. Eight minutes of watching the rugby indicated it was going to be a pretty scrappy affair, so I opted for the second half of the football. The rugby game eventually finished 19-19, according to the RFU website, and I’ll have to pencil in yet another attempt to see Wincanton RFC later in the season. :rolleyes:

R.S.Cavendish

Youth Team Regular
Saturday 23 October 2021

PENYGRAIG 21 WATTSTOWN 26

@ Tylacelyn Road
Attendance : 302

Wherever I go in the Rhondda Valley I come across superb rugby grounds and the one in Penygraig is no exception. It has large stands facing each other along each touchline with some covered standing areas adjacent to the dressing rooms behind one end. The clubhouse is opposite the main entrance gate with car-parking in two parking areas or on-street. There is a refreshment hut outside the ground which serves coffee and hot food while inside is a tea-bar for drinks and sweets. Everything moved in military precision and even the matchday programme was one of the best seen this season.
The match, which had nothing on it in the WRU Plate final table, was fought for local pride. It was a splendid game of club rugby which kept the spectators on their toes until the final whistle. After swopping penalties Wattstown took the lead with a James Stewart try followed by one from Cai Mays. Cory Coomber replied before the break after which Callum Hutton restored the visitors twelve point lead.
Then the tempo went up and a number of yellow cards were shown. Dylan Smith dived over to narrow the score and penalties were swopped. With ten minutes of added time Penygraig gave their all but could not force a decisive try. At the end the players embraced, and so they should have done for this was high-class rugby played in a sporting way. A lovely day in the valley.

fatbear

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Chinnor 30-32 Cambridge
Attendance : 400 approx
National League One

A deserved win for Cambridge who should have won by a much greater margin. Chinnor scored a converted try in added on time to give them the 4 try bonus point and as well bringing them the losing bonus point. After a first half in which the lead changed a number of times, Cambridge controlled most of the second half, and earned penalties at just about every scrum

Attached is a full report for anyone interested

Skyblue tat

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Coventry city
Leicester Tigers
Leicestershire ccc
Saturday 23rd October 2021.
National 2 South .
Hinckley v Guernsey .
Admission £ 10
Programme . Free with Admission.

My first rugby match since February 2020. That was also at Hinckley although hinckley were playing in national 2 north.
Today sees hinckley plying there trade in national 2 south having been moved .
Guernsey had flown in to Manchester this morning before boarding a coach to leicestershire. Today's game was kicking off at 2pm. With the visitors needing to leave hinckley at 4.30pm.
Hinckley started the day in 14th place , with the visitors in 3rd but it was the home side who started brightly scoring the first try of the game after 6 minutes. A penalty on 19 minutes gave them an 8-0 lead. Guernsey got there first points on the board on 36 minutes with a try which was converted. 8-7. Hinckley responded with a try of there own on 39 minutes to lead 13-7 at the break.
3 minutes in to the 2nd half Guernsey went down to 14 having a player sin binned . Hinckley missed the penalty . The first points of the 2nd half came on 63 minutes when Guernsey got there 2nd try but the conversion was missed. On 64 minutes it was Hinckley's turn to have a player shown yellow. Although it didn't effect the home team who extended there lead on 67 minutes with a penalty. 16-12. With 4 minutes remaining Guernsey got there 3rd try and took the lead for the first time. With a minute to go Guernsey's had their no 14 sin binned . Hinckley then went looking for the win but Guernsey held on for a 3 point win.
Final score . 16-19. Hinckley had to settle for a losing bonus point while the win for Guernsey put them top of the table.

R.S.Cavendish

Youth Team Regular
Wednesday 27 October

VARDRE 13 CRAWSHAYS 68

@ Hebron Road
Attendance : 960

A lovely night in the Clydach Valley as Vardre opened their centenary celebrations with a match against an all-star Crawshays invitation side which contained mainly Welsh Premiership players. The pitch was in perfect condition and the club's committee should be praised for organising a perfect evening. The souvenir programme was full of interesting articles and relevant photographs.
Vardre took an early lead with a penalty from Tom Bevan. Crawshays replied with a David Dalaville try and then the floodlights fused. It looked liked Sod's Law but somehow the electricians on site managed to conduct a quick repair after which the game restarted. The visitors then managed four more tries before the interval to one from Vardre. After the break it was mainly one -way with five more Crawshays tries to one in reply.
The match was a perfect way to start the club's planned events with another invitation game, this time against West Wales, scheduled for two months hence.

R.S.Cavendish

Youth Team Regular
Saturday 30 October 2021

NARBERTH 32 TENBY UNITED 10

@ Spring Gardens
Attendance : 295

Narberth is a delightful Pembrokeshire country town. Although all of its banks are now closed it still contains many independent food shops with butchers, a bakery, greengrocers, ironmongers and various clothes outlets. It is a magnet for city dwellers to have their country retreats which is reflected in the prices of property.
The grockles were staring in amazement today as the Cresselly Hunt wandered into town for a meet. They would have been even further amazed had they known of the senior Parliamentarian who was riding with them.
The rugby ground is sited just off the main street and comprises three pitches. Around it is the cricket ground, tennis courts and three five-a-side football areas, all of which were being used by local children.
Today's match was the first round of the Pembrokeshire Cup, a competition which fills the weekends when Wales are playing Internationals and no league fixtures have been scheduled. The game started with a burst from the visitors who scored two tries and should have scored many more points but for their indiscipline and sloppy play. The Otters pulled themselves together after the first of five major fights which took place on the field and spent the second half camped in Tenby's half of the field.
The result became clearer as Tenby lost players to the sin-bin, one being for twice querying referee Joseph Kiff's decision within ten seconds. Stupidly reigned as the player, Lloyd Thomas, walked from the field laughing. Overall this was a good game of rugby on a sunny autumnal afternoon.

R.S.Cavendish

Youth Team Regular
Friday 5th November 2021

KIDWELLY 0 CARMARTHEN ATHLETIC 16

@ Station Road
Attendance : 212

The final group game of the WRU Plate competition saw a superb expansive game of rugby with both sides giving their all. The ground has excellent viewing facilities and tonight was the first occasion the new floodlights had been used for a competitive match.
Kidwelly dominated the opening moves but two quick Carmarthen penalties rather put them on the back foot. The only try of the game came two minutes before the interval when Tom Gravelle darted down the right flank, dodging opponents on his way to diving over by the right post. The conversion was an excellent effort. Following the break Carmarthen scored another penalty and after that numerous replacements rather spoiled the flow of the game.
Referee Carwyn Williams gave a perfect display of refereeing with all of his decisions explained to the players and loud enough for the spectators to hear. He sin-binned three players all of which were perfectly justified.

Ostrich

Junior Team Star
Like Pokal02 (last Tuesday’s WDYG), I had car troubles this weekend – amber engine light warning lit up – so by necessity, travel was reduced to the barest minimum distance from home, giving me a choice of Gillingham Town vs Devizes Town in the Western League, which finished 9-2, or this epic at the local rugby club:

06/11/21: Tribute Dorset & Wilts 2 Central
North Dorset II RFC (aka the Badgers) 119 Warminster II (aka the Pirates) 0
F&N, Refreshments: tasty veggie-burger with accompanying rabbit food from the clubhouse hatch £3, far better offering than the chips previously reported on up-thread.
Attendance: 41

I chose this fixture as Warminster’s prior results this season have been …..

Bath Saracens 60-0 Pirates
Bradford-on-Avon HWO Pirates
Combe Down II HWO Pirates
Pirates 0-61 Melksham II

….. and I have an interesting sense of the macabre ;) The only potential problem was that Warminster might not have been able to raise a team, but they did, so game on with a 14:30 kick-off on the lower pitch, farthest away from the clubhouse.

This result exceeded my previous highest aggregate score of 97 (Sutton Coldfield’s 86-11 demolition of Banbury back in 2011) and I actually scored this one as 125-0. The problem was, once the Badgers had notched their first 5 tries (16m), they started trying to forfeit the conversion attempts; the referee got cross and insisted they must perform the ritual, so it devolved down to the try-scorer making the attempt, usually a dropped goal effort. The touch judges gave up retiring behind the posts so there was no confirmatory flagging, and the referee didn’t always signal the result of the conversion, so that’s probably the area where my scoring effort went wrong. Hey-ho!

North Dorset’s fourth try was actually a penalty try – a very harsh-looking award for reasons not clear, but possibly a high tackle on the line. Shortly after, a home player, to much hilarity, got confused and touched down just behind the 10 yard line, but that “non-try” was brought back for a forward pass anyway.

67-0 (by my reckoning) at half-time, a couple of home substitutes switched shirts and attempted to put a bit of steel into Warminster’s defence, with some positive results; indeed one of the lads got injured stopping a score. I was surprised the team captains played the full 80 minutes; I have known a gentleman’s agreement to end games early in similar circumstances, but we went the full term.

For all the one-sidedness, it was an enjoyable game played in very good spirit. Excellent craic on the side-line with a fellow spectator, who had also done the rounds of local clubs, and the touch-judges throughout the match. Late in the second half, one of the senior Warminster players came over our side and took over the flag.
“A well-earned rest?” I asked.
“I’m 61, I need it!” was the reply. :ROFLMAO:

fatbear

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Chinnor 36-41 Plymouth Albion
National League One
Attendance : 321

Plymouth recorded a highly improbable come-back victory by scoring three tries in the last 5 minutes after Chinnor had appeared to be coasting to victory after a see-saw first half.

The main talking point though will be the performance of the touch-judge as a replacement for referee Veryan Boscawen who had to leave the field with a hamstring injury with just over 20 minutes to go, and preceded to give a rabbit in the headlights performance. Not that Chinnor should blame this for their defeat, which should have been totally avoidable with better decision making........

A full write-up is attached for anyone interested

R.S.Cavendish

Youth Team Regular
WELSHPOOL 14 WREXHAM 41

@ Maesydre
Attendance : 142

A perfect autumn day in Mid-Wales for the start of the rugby union league season. After three months of cup fixtures both sides offered up a feast of fast, free-flowing play. The ground is to the west of the Waterloo Rovers football pitch and offers scenic views from the main stand.
Welshpool coach Dave Roberts had to bring quite a few fringe and veteran players into his team as business commitments had meant a number of withdrawals. At one time his side lead by 14-8 but pressure from a very fit Wrexham saw four breakaway tries which completely split the home defence.
For some reason referee Colin Scott allowed nearly a quarter of a hour injury time - in which the visitors scored twice - but in the end it made little difference to the outcome.

mxhornet

First Team Hopeful
Wednesday 17th November
North Walsham Raiders - 31 RAF Marham - 8
Friendly
Scottow
Attendance - 120ish
Admission - free
Programme - none

A rare chance to see local floodlit rugby union and despite Raiders being North Walsham's second team I went along. Raiders are currently top of Eastern Counties 1 North, having won all 6 games and conceding just 5 points, Marham won the Warrington Morris Shield in September beating RAF Benson. Pre-match I wasn't sure how closely matched the teams might be.
Raiders were dominant in the first half, leading 12-3 by midway and then when Marham were reduced to 14, they went further ahead and led 24-3 at half time. Marham made more of a game of it second half after an early try had made it 24-8, Raiders scored a converted try just after an hour to conclude the scoring. Marham had their best spell after this but couldn't get past the strong defence of North Walsham.

AdBlock Detected

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks