Where are you going/Where did you go - Other sports

Wheelbarrow

Youth Team Star
Saturday 24th October, 2.30pm
London Senior Hurling Championship group stage
Kilburn Gaels 3-13 Thomas McCurtains 2-09

The last remaining game of the group stage and a straight shoot out for the last remaining semi final place, with both teams on 2 points from four games prior to throw in. There was a strong wind blowing not quite straight down the pitch, and McCurtains had this behind them for the first 30. The game was clearly played with something at stake - tense, frantic at times and very close to boiling over once or twice.

McCurtains did indeed score first but then Kilburn defied the elements to reply with three points and were keeping their noses in front 0-05 to 0-04 after the first 15 when a couple of minutes later McCurtains got a penalty which was converted to edge back in front by a couple. The teams traded a couple of points each when McCurtains really should have scored a second goal but the ball cannoned back off the face of the cross bar and back into play. They did score another point but were caught out by a sucker punch just before the break when Kilburn broke and scored a goal, leaving the score tied at 1-07 a piece at the whistle.

It was a different story in the second half when Kilburn had the wind as they both took full advantage and really tightened up at the back to stem almost all of McCurtains attacks. Having looked like going into the break three points to the good, within ten minutes of the restart the East London team were facing a ten point deficit as Kilburn converted both a penalty and a goal from play as well as sending over some fine points from distance in tricky if not extreme conditions. McCurtains only managed two points in the second half. They did score a goal with about 15 minutes to go, but couldn't get enough of the ball to really threaten any more so couldn't eat into the deficit fast enough.

So the semis will be between Bros Pearce (100% record so far), defending champions Robert Emmets, losers of last year's double extra time epic St Gabriels, and Kilburn. Not sure if there is a draw or a formula of e.g. 1v4 & 2v3. Games should be next weekend. Also not sure if nul point Fr Murphys go straight down to Intermediate or if they get a relegation play-off against McCurtains.

Wheelbarrow

Youth Team Star
Knockout fixtures for the London GAA championships have been announced.

Sat 31/10 Intermediate Hurling Championship semi-finals
Fulham Irish v Cu Chullains, Ruislip, 12.30pm
Sean Treaceys v St Gabriels B, Ruislip, 2.30pm

Sun 1/11 Senior Hurling Championship semi-finals
Brothers Pearse v Kilburn Gaels, Ruislip, 12.30pm
Robert Emmets v St Gabriels, Ruislip, 2.30pm

Sat 7/11 Football Championship semi-finals
SFC: Tir Chonnail Gaels v Neasden Gaels, Ruislip, 12pm
SFC: Fulham Irish v St Kiernans, Ruislip, 2pm
IFC: Dulwich Harps v St Josephs*, Greenford Pitch 1, 12pm
IFC: St Brendans v Eire Og, Greenford Pitch 2, 12pm
JFC: Wandsworth Gaels v Harlesden Harps, Greenford Pitch 1, 2pm
JFC: St Clarets v Tara, Greenford Pitch 2, 2pm
* St Josephs participation subject to an eligibility protest

Sun 8/11 Hurling Championship Finals
IHC Final, Ruislip, 12pm
SHC Final, Ruislip, 2pm

All Championship semi finals are finish on the day with extra time and, if necessary, a penalty shoot out - five penalties each, then sudden death.

The Fixture Page of the London GAA website is the best place to pick up venue or time changes. Their Twitter Account is getting better at flagging postponements more quickly too.

Wheelbarrow

Youth Team Star
Sat 31/10 London Intermediate Hurling Championship semi-finals at Ruislip
12.30pm Fulham Irish 1-12 Cu Chullains 1-06
2.30pm Sean Treaceys 1-14 St Gabriels B 2-08

Two excellent semi finals in the Intermediate Championship. The first started in steady rain which eventually died out about half way through. It was understandably slow to get going with handling errors and slips and trips on the soft but otherwise very good quality pitch. After about 20 minutes there had only been three or four scores including a goal for Cu Chullains. A flurry of scores as the conditions began to improve left the score level at 0-05 to 1-02 as the whistle went. Fulham stepped up a gear in the second half and gradually pulled clear and were never headed again. The goal, a close range effort batted in from in front of his face, largely settled things.

The second game was played in much better weather including some sunshine later on. Treaceys had topped the table with a 100% record and St Gabriels second string were in fourth place so I was expecting a comfortable win for Treaceys. This looked to be on the cards as they stretched out a formidable lead during the first half. A goal and a point for Gabriels was the last action of the first half which narrowed the gap to six. This was halved as Gabriels got a second goal early in the second half and then closed to the bare minimum for a period. Although Treaceys got a couple more points to restore a three point gap, Gabriels had Treaceys rattled and the latter could not get an insurance point with some very poor wides, and missed a couple of very good goal chances to kill off the game. Gabriels were desperately close to the goal they needed on a couple of occasions including right at the death but efforts went just wide and Treaceys hung on.

Senior semi finals tomorrow, and then we wait and see if the finals (and the football semis at all three grades) are going to take place or not, and if they do will we be allowed in to Ruislip to watch.

Wheelbarrow

Youth Team Star
then we wait and see if the finals (and the football semis at all three grades) are going to take place or not.
Obviously they didn't and the County Board have decided to mothball the outstanding games and re-fix them in the new year.

In the meantime I'm strolling down to Kempton for tomorrow's re-start fixture. Better look out the thermals.

mxhornet

Reserve Team Regular
Monday 19-04-21 7pm
Red Hot Chillies - 31 Rackheath - 26
Friendly
Thorpe St Andrew School

After a 14 month hiatus, back to umpiring, rather rusty as expected, so much so I forgot to collect my scorepad and timer back after the game, so final score might not be quite as I remember. An enjoyable game to involved in and just a week until next appointment, same place next Monday for RHC v Norwich Medics then league netball resumes next Thursday.

Barnsley Dave

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Barnsley, Yorkshire CCC, Non-league in general
Fri 16th July London Skolars v Doncaster 7pm New River Stadium Rugby League
Mods, sorry I know it's miles in advance but it's so long since I posted in any Where are you going thread I needed to do this to bring a touch of normality to my life. Fully understand if you want to delete the post :)

Wheelbarrow

Youth Team Star
Can't quite match July for sports planning, but I do have a ticket for Kempton's first evening race meeting back on 19th May, and did just this morning risk booking music concerts for July, November & December.

More pressingly, London club GAA fixtures start this weekend with League fixtures. Last years championships - the hurling finals and football semis and finals - will be finished off probably sometime in May. I've seen one of the Junior football semis listed for 9th May

This weekend's fixtures are here:
https://www.londongaa.org/news-details/10070604/

There is a double on Saturday at Greenford (Div 2 football at 2.30 and Div 1 hurling at 4.00) as well as the first games at St Kiernan's new Barnet Lane ground (two football games at 2.30 & 4.00).

There are trebles (1.00, 2.30 & 4.00) at both Greenford pitches on Sunday as well as a double (1.00 & 2.30) at Goodmayes.

Greenford is certainly a public park, as I'm pretty sure Goodmayes is too.

Last edited:

Sewnapart

Junior Team Regular
Yan Bingtao 2-6 Shaun Murphy (part of match)
Crucible theatre, Sheffield, world snooker championship
Admission £47, attendance 240ish

A welcome return to the home of snooker, and this one was some sublime stuff (including a 144) mixed in with some bad mistakes, mainly affecting Bingtao who looked totally gone at one point before rallying to take the final frame of the session. Clearly very talented and one for the future, it just felt that the difference was mentally here.

The main thing notable at the crucible with 2 table set up is quite how tight it actually is, barely room for the players to swing a cue back. Although it is in part this intimacy that makes it such an amazingly intimate experience for snooker, even when as last night, less than a quarter full. The curtain between tables was down for the last 4 frames as Higgins/Williams had finished.

The pallaver of getting in was interesting, a test before leaving the midlands on Friday night (result back about half an hour later) had to be produced with photo id and a consent form saying we knew we were part of a government testing programme for the return of sport before it was even showing the tickets.

Game finished at 1010, before the biggest pallaver of all, the fact that only self contained accommodation is available, which in practice means around 2.5x the price of cheap b&bs.

But my god it's good to be back

mxhornet

Reserve Team Regular
Monday 26-04-21 7-15pm
Red Hot Chillies - 7 Norwich Medics - 35
Friendly
Thorpe St Andrew School

Myself and the players still getting used to the modified rules ready for Thursday, when league matches start. As a suggested by the score a comfortable win by the away side.

mxhornet

Reserve Team Regular
Thursday 29-04-21 8pm
L&B Vixens - 25 Rackheath Black - 18
Central Venue League
City Academy Norwich

After two friendlies a recent to umpiring competitive netball under the modified rules which are due to be in place until 21st June. A reasonably close and quite low scoring game particularly the second half (6-8) having been 19-10 at half time.

mxhornet

Reserve Team Regular
Thursday 06-05-21 8pm
Rackheath Black - 27 Norwich Medics - 38
Central Venue League
City Academy Norwich

Another reasonably close game involving Rackheath, who I have now umpired 3 times since the restart and Norwich Medics for the second time. I am covering Rackheath's fixture next week too.

mxhornet

Reserve Team Regular
Thursday 06-05-21 8pm
Rackheath Black - 27 Norwich Medics - 38
Central Venue League
City Academy Norwich

Another reasonably close game involving Rackheath, who I have now umpired 3 times since the restart and Norwich Medics for the second time. I am covering Rackheath's fixture next week too.
Thursday 13-05-21 8pm
Norwich City Flyers Black - 20 Rackheath Black - 28
Central Venue League
City Academy Norwich

Pretty close again this week with quarter scores of 5-6, 10-13 and 14-21 before Rackheath sealed the win. To add the familiar feeling the other side was umpired by the same umpire I had been paired with last week too. As mentioned elsewhere on this forum, no match for me next week as my mentor isn't available.

mxhornet

Reserve Team Regular
Thursday 27-05-21 8pm
Norwich City Flyers Black - 15 Norwich Medics 1 - 32
Central Venue League
City Academy Norwich

Not the closest of games, quarter scores of 5-9, 9-19, 12-26 and finally 15-32. Another blank week to follow due to half term, but later in June I'll be far busier with umpiring.

mxhornet

Reserve Team Regular
Thursday 10-06-21 8pm
Panthers - 41 Rackheath Black - 11
Central Venue League
City Academy Norwich

Umpiring resumes with a rather one sided game, Panthers in control right from the start. Quarter scores 11-4, 20-6, 32-9. After games coming in dribs and drabs I am due to umpire three games next week.

pokal02

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Barnet, Cockfosters
Horse Racing

Pontefract Mon 7th June 17:45.

Adm £20 Pie & Mash 4.45 Coffee £2 Winnings £1.20.

First meeting I've got to since Nov 2019 - the least far-flung of the 5 British courses I'd yet to visit.

Pleasant afternoon wandering round the town and seeing the castle - the course is on the northern outskirts with good parking on course.

Two old-fashioned grandstands (one not in use due to covid protocols) with a newer one I think for owners etc nearer the entrance. Meeting was a sell-out - I assume this means 4,000 but not sure.

A night for favourite punters with four of seven winning and the other three second. Covid restrictions not onerous on a sunny evening, although the choice of food was very restricted.

Multiple A1 closures going back including near Grantham, Peterboro and Biggleswade, so not indoors till 00:45. My own fault for not bothering to check the Highways Agency site!.

mxhornet

Reserve Team Regular
Wednesday 16-06-21 7-10pm
Trowse Tigers - 30 Moreton Hall Juniors - 16
West Suffolk Junior League
Culford Sports & Tennis Centre

A new venture for me with Trowse Netball Club competing in this league and needing to supply their own umpire I volunteered to take all but two of their fixtures last Wednesday being the first of those. I have visited Culford School before many years ago for cross country. But I am not sure if this facility existed then.
After a low scoring drawn first quarter (4-4), Trowse were on top 13-8 at half time and then 22-13 by three quarter time.

Wheelbarrow

Youth Team Star
A contrasting couple of days racing entertainment:

Tuesday
Royal Ascot, Queen Anne Enclosure, £77, att 12,000, racecard £5

After missing last year it was great to be back on my usual spot on the steppings chatting with a bunch of folks I never see for the other 364 days of the year and, quite frankly have little in common with! The racing was the usual excellent fare with the scheduled returned to the usual three group one races on the first day and all five cards extended to seven races. We were off with a bang as Palace Pier confirmed his status as the best miler around with a comfortable victory in the Queen Anne. Frankie (naturally) was utterly motionless onboard until the pack reached 2 furlongs out, a quick shake up and he was gone. Other highlights were Oxted winning the Kings Stand and Poetic Flare succeeding Palace Pier as winner of the St James. I hope the two of them meet later in the season, maybe in the Sussex Stakes. All very well organised as part of the event pilot programme, got in quickly despite staff needing to check various tickets and results on my phone. Once inside it was all very familiar, just less crowded - a blessing if truth be told! The Royal Enclosure had encroached a bit further down the atrium inside the grandstand but since they were a higher proportion of ticket holders that made sense and the viewing of the course was unchanged. Best result of the day was free parking which meant I was home barely half an hour after getting out of the gate.

Wednesday
Uttoxeter, general admission £20, att not mentioned but maybe a couple of thousand, racecard £3

Different code, different standard, but another pleasant day out. Uttoxeter were also well prepared albeit for a more modest crowd. Plenty of facilities open that you'd need and few queues at those. Mercifully there was plenty of shade on the steppings too. Five hurdle races and two chases with some good entertainment from them. The day's absolute banker did indeed romp home in the opener at 9/2 on but after that only one favourite won. The main drama was Gennady refusing to line up in the first chase and they went without him. The course is a sort of kidney shape with hurdles on the inside, fences on the outside with a small rise and fall at the far turn before a long home straight with three hurdles and four fences in it. My main disappointment was seeing the shutters down on a unit proudly decrying that "raceday is pie day"

mxhornet

Reserve Team Regular
A double helping of umpiring

Thursday 17-06-21 7pm
Norwich Medics 2 - 26 L&B Vixens - 35
Central Venue League
City Academy Norwich

Vixens having the better of the first quarter and then gradually easing slightly further ahead, quarter scores of 7-12, 13-19, 20-28 and final score of 26-35.

Thursday 17-06-21 8pm
Thoroughbreds Ponies - 13 UEA Blue - 38
Central Venue League
City Academy Norwich

UEA started better and in the second quarter did something I can't remember seeing often at this level, they prevented Ponies scoring. An even third quarter followed before UEA were scoring freely again the last quarter. Quarter scores 4-9, 4-19, 10-26 and 13-38.

First time I've doubled up in a while which was quite tough, particularly after a game on Wednesday evening too, though I'll be doing the same again next week with potentially a friendly to add on Monday.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock