Where are you going/where did you go - Cricket

AndyE

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
None.
That's a great bit of research. Apart from the obvious case of Dean Park, what was the 'other' ground in Bournemouth that Dorset used?

Kinson Park, which was the home of Bournemouth CC until it moved out of town to Chapel Gate in around 1990.

The traditional Dorset / Hants border goes through the middle of the Bournemouth Sports Club site at Chapel Gate, so I'm not actually sure whether the new Bournemouth CC ground should be a third Dorset ground that has been in Hampshire, or whether it was always in Dorset. Dorset first played there in 2001.

Chris1963

First Team Starter
Thanks for the above information. I should have checked Wikipedia first, although the entry for Dorset venues does not mention Kinson Park. I expect it's been built over since?

AndyE

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
None.
Thanks for the above information. I should have checked Wikipedia first, although the entry for Dorset venues does not mention Kinson Park. I expect it's been built over since?

Unfortunately, that list on Wikipedia doesn't look especially accurate. It has Dorset using the Chapel Gate ground some time before it was built!

The Kinson Park ground does in fact still exist. If you ask Google Maps (other mapping services are available) to find Kinson Manor Playing Fields, that is the same place. These days it's used mostly for low level football, but Suttoners CC in the lower divisions of the Hampshire League still play some of their home games there (and the others at Dean Park).

Cousse

Junior Team Regular
Tuesday 15 June 5.30pm @ Radlett Cricket Club
Vitality T20 Blast South Group
Middlesex 217-7 (19.4) beat Hampshire Hawks 215-6 (20)
Admission, don’t know as used my Brother’s Membership but think £20 if purchased
Scorecard free (can’t charge for them or issue a programme apparently as everyone would die if they did, plenty of temporary bars open though).

First visit to the basic but very pleasant Radlett CC which is a short walk from the centre of this very affluent looking town/village.

Very entertaining game for the neutral that Middx recovered from 30-3 and the loss of the two Irishmen Stirling & Morgan to win with 2 balls remaining.

Chris1963

First Team Starter
Tuesday 15 June 5.30pm @ Radlett Cricket Club
Vitality T20 Blast South Group
Middlesex 217-7 (19.4) beat Hampshire Hawks 215-6 (20)
Admission, don’t know as used my Brother’s Membership but think £20 if purchased
Scorecard free (can’t charge for them or issue a programme apparently as everyone would die if they did, plenty of temporary bars open though).

Also at this one but it wasn’t my first visit to Radlett as I am a Middlesex member and have seen them play there before at least once or twice. As I am currently working in Barnet, I was able to get there from the office by catching the 107 bus - which can also be used from Edgware - and alighted at Elstree Hill North, from where it is almost exactly 30 minutes walk to the cricket ground (passing Belstone FC’s ground, which is halfway between the two points) and I arrived about 15-20 minutes before the start of play. The entrance I used was well to the south of the ground, unlike previous visits where I had used the main entrance further north. I’m not sure if the public were allowed to use the main entrance for this match, or if it was reserved for players and officials. Spectators were restricted to the east side of the ground, which wasn’t very pleasant as it was a very sunny day. I ignored the block number on my print-at-home ticket and sneaked into the block furthest north, where there was some limited shade available. A crowd figure of 800 has been quoted on the Middlesex website.

The scorecards, as you have mentioned, were free and were easily available from the temporary Middlesex club shop. Unlike the one I got at Lords for the Varsity match last month, these were printed on both sides and on stiff paper. Agree with you that the match was very entertaining. A special mention must go to the Middlesex player Nathan Sowter, who was injured while unsuccessfully attempting to make a difficult catch. After five minutes treatment he limped off but surprisingly was able to bat in the Middlesex innings, being run out for eight runs.

Middlesex are also playing at Radlett today (against Gloucestershire in the same competition) but despite having booked a ticket, I won’t be attending this time because it has been raining in North London this morning and there is a risk of heavy showers later today.

Another Retro mention (who doesn’t like them?) for the 40th anniversary as mentioned a couple of days ago. Wednesday 17th June 1981 - On this day I attended the first day’s play of Essex v Middlesex at Ilford, which was my first visit to the Valentines Park ground. This also gave me the opportunity to tick all the Central Line stations after Leytonstone, up to and including Gants Hill, which is about 10-15 minutes walk from the ground.

It’s amazing how much I can remember about that day 40 years on. As my free travel pass would not have been valid until 9.30 am, I would have timed my journey accordingly and so could not arrive particularly early. I sat in a temporary stand which had been erected in the north-west corner of the ground, and it may have been a fairly cloudy day as I don’t think the sun was a problem. The scorecards were not easy to find on my arrival, but about ten minutes before the start, I saw a queue for them near the pavilion at the north end. The scorecards were rather inky on one side and it was difficult to avoid smudging them, so they may have been printed in a shop nearby and rushed to the ground as soon as the teams were known. The reverse side, which was pre-printed, had an advert for Martins newsagents and this was a drawing of shoppers outside a branch of the store, including a woman wearing flared trousers, which had more or less gone out of fashion by then.

Jeff Thomson was playing for Middlesex and the umpires were the legendary HD Bird and Shakoor Rana, who was involved in a much-publicised dispute with Mike Gatting some six years later. I remember a six-hit landing fairly close to me, on some steps of terracing (I’m not sure if these are still there today) along the west boundary. I also remember seeing some schoolboys in uniform entering the ground for free at around tea-time. Essex won by 95 runs on the third day.

Last edited:

Chris1963

First Team Starter
Too late to edit the above post, but I have just remembered that free tube travel did not begin until October 1982. Therefore I would have paid the tube fare, but I am pretty sure this was very cheap, perhaps as little as ten pence if you showed your disabled pass (same presumably for pensioners)

I could have travelled free by bus though, as the 144 route ran all the way from Muswell Hill (where we lived at the time) to Ilford. So in theory I could have left home at around 9.25 am and taken the first 144 bus after 09.30 am which would probably have got me to Ilford in time for the start of play. While it is true that the cricket ground is much further away from Ilford town centre than it is from Gants Hill station, this is something I could have done.

A useful website for old London bus routes is;

Last edited:

Wheelbarrow

Youth Team Star
T20 Blast Southern Group
Middlesex v Gloucestershire at Radlett CC
Adm £20, parking £5, scorecards free
Middx 179/5 (20) Glos 157/5 (18) Glos win by 2 runs, D/L method

A very slightly curtailed game, but very entertaining none the less at Radlett's very pleasant and well set-up ground.

Middlesex started off slowly, only getting 44 in the powerplay and reaching 66 at half way. The upped the rate thereafter and posted a more respectable 179, Joe Cracknell's 67 off 41 the highlight.

Glos on the other hand clearly had an eye on the weather and set off much faster, almost matching Middx's 10 over score in the powerplay alone, hitting 61. They were well ahead of the par score for a long time until some miserly overs and a few wickets allowed things to creep closer to parity. Middx edged ahead for the first time in the 15th over leading to a loud chorus of "call it off, umpire". There had been some conversations about the light earlier in the game but a long talk after 16 overs led to Paul Stirling taking the 17th over to many peoples surprise, with lots of calls for Steve Finn to be allowed to bowl. He only conceded five runs though. Finn did indeed bowl the 18th over, however, but two sixes in the final three balls, the final blow by Ian Cockbain to leave him on 62no off 39, tipped the balance back in Glos favour by a tiny margin. The rain then started in earnest (we'd only had a few spots until then), the game was called off as everyone scarpered for the car park pausing only to hear the official result as the umpires officially called the match off.

Chris1963

First Team Starter
How can a cricket team win by two runs when they've batted second? The D/L method has really plumbed the depths of absurdity today. Couldn't they at least just say "Gloucestershire won by five wickets"?

Part-Timer

Reserve Team Sub
How can a cricket team win by two runs when they've batted second? The D/L method has really plumbed the depths of absurdity today. Couldn't they at least just say "Gloucestershire won by five wickets"?
I have always thought that the description of wins by wickets in limited over games is odd. It would be better to say that the team batting second won the number of balls remaining. Balls remaining is the key resource and describes how comfortable (or otherwise) the victory is. In proper cricket wickets are the key resource hence the description of victories by the number of wickets remaining.

Chris1963

First Team Starter
I have always thought that the description of wins by wickets in limited over games is odd. It would be better to say that the team batting second won the number of balls remaining. Balls remaining is the key resource and describes how comfortable (or otherwise) the victory is. In proper cricket wickets are the key resource hence the description of victories by the number of wickets remaining.
The description of winning by the number of wickets remaining is a tradition that dates from the days when there was no such thing as limited overs cricket, so it's not really a good idea to change that now as everyone is used to it. I didn't have any problems understanding it when I first started following cricket in 1977, although I remember my brother getting confused over how a team could win by wickets as opposed to runs. He also once said that he thought that spectators at cricket matches supported whichever team was batting! (To be fair to him, he never attended a cricket-playing school, unlike me)

Hopefully one day D/L will be ditched. It was introduced without consulting the fans and they should be asked whether they want the old system of a faster run rate to be brought back.

Cousse

Junior Team Regular
‘Proper Cricket’??

Stoodley Pike

Reserve Team Star
Saturday 26th June 2021
Bolton Percy versus Dringhouses
York & District Senior League, Division One, West (50 overs, 1pm start)
Dringhouses won the toss and elected to field
Bolton Percy 225 off 46.5 overs (30pts) beat by 87 runs Dringhouses 138 off 47.3 overs (7pts)
Free admission, no programmes
Attendance 70 (h/c)
Slice of homemade chocolate cake (bake sale to raise funds for the junior section) £1

A short trip - 15 miles - to one of North Yorkshire's prettier grounds, overlooked fetchingly from its east end by the tower of fifteenth century All Saints' Church.

Bolton Percy won a tier two derby with 15 balls to spare thereby registering back-to-back victories for the first time this season. Given the fixture was 11th versus third, I guess the result counts as a surprise.

Put in, Bolton Percy, at 12-2, were immediately in trouble. But Ed Noble (57) and Tom Atkinson (57) put on 106 for the third wicket. Dringhouses struck back, reducing the hosts to 150-7 from 140-4. With the cock-a-hoop visitors suddenly looking to bowl out the opposition for circa 170, Matthew Howden (30) and Tom Anderson (27) added 38 for the eighth wicket then Howden and Richard Lindsay (12) put on 31 for the ninth. George Wilson (3-52) and Tom Storr (3-65) had the best bowling figures.

The erratic Tom Anderson (4-43), plagued initially by wides and no balls, destroyed Dringhouses's upper order before Danny Whyte (5-27) did the same to the south York team's lower ranked batters. Anderson's haul included two wickets in two balls, leaving the visitors 58-4. Tom Owen (32) and Daniel Snaith (29) figured in a fifth-wicket partnership worth 43. Oddly, Dringhouses didn't show any inclination to shut up shop and hang on for a losing draw. Not something they do, one of their supporters observed.

Bolton Percy, big winners at Thirsk last weekend, climb to eighth, Dringhouses drop to fourth.

Last edited:

Cousse

Junior Team Regular
Sunday 27 June at 11am
National Counties Trophy Group 2
Herefordshire 185 all out (48.5) lost to Dorset 194-8 (50) by 9 runs
At Brockhampton Cricket Club
Scorecard & yearbook free, they wouldn’t accept any ££s for them.

I had intended to watch Berkshire’s trip to Newport to play Wales but with the weatherman predicting heavy rain mid afternoon I decided not to risk it and head a bit further north to Brockhampton instead.

I’m glad I did to be honest as what a lovely if slightly quirky venue seemingly in the middle of nowhere. Outfield was very undulating and the sight screens were black tarpaulins on washing lines but did the trick. As with a lot of Minor Counties games the spinners really do come into their own and dominate proceedings. Though I’m not sure if that’s because the pitches offer appreciable amounts of turn or the batsmen aren’t very good at playing spin, it’s probably a combination of both to be honest but the spinners on both sides held sway today.

All in all a lovely day and I would definitely recommend a visit, although how you’d get here by public transport especially on a Sunday I’ve no idea. There are some lovely walks and views all around which I enjoyed during the break between innings.

Oh and Berkshire won by 3 wickets with no interruptions, so much for the weather forecast!

norwich6

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Saturday 26th June
East Anglian Premier League 1100 am start
Swardeston v Horsford at the Common
Admission free Raffle £1 Attendance 150 to 175 at peak
Scores Swardeston 195 all out Horsford 196 for 7 Horsford won by 3 wickets

At the start of play Swardeston were top of the table whilst Horsford were bottom.
Horsford though turned the form book upside down to record a gripping 3 wicket win.

Swardeston were 18 for 2 but Jordan Taylor 57 and Joe Gatting 40 added 75 for the
third wicket. Callum Taylor then made 25 but Swardeston lost their 5 wickets for 34 runs
Spinners Ashley Watson with 5 for 45 and Ryan Finlay with 3 for 41 were the main
wicket takers.

When Horsford batted they were in real trouble at 115 for 7 and a Swardeston win looked
on the cards, however an unbroken 8th wicket partnership of 81 between Stephan
Marillier 89 not out and youngster Ewan Metcalf 27 not out helped Horsford
to a shock victory. Marillier ended the game in style with two huge sixes off the
bowling of Joe Gatting. Callum Taylor with 4 for 44 was Swardeston's best bowler.

As a result Swardeston slipped to third in the table three points behind new joint leaders
Great Witchingham and Sawston.

Horsford remained bottom as Frinton chased over 300 to win at Cambridge however
only 3 points now separates the bottom 4 sides.

totallyuntamed

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Solihull Moors
Saturday June 19th West of England Premier League Chippenham 167-9 45 overs Bridgwater 168-4 32.4 overs

Bottom of the table Chippenham were always struggling in this one, against an impressive Bridgwater outfit and the result was in little doubt from the start which made for a distinct lack of tension. The ground is part of a sports complex and is close to Chippenham Town FC's Hardenhuish Park home. The most impressive feature of the set up is a huge two storey clubhouse/pavilion complete with top floor balcony. This would have provided an excellent vantage point, although I preferred to remain at ground level at the other end of the pitch. I have seen quite a few West of England Premier League and imho is a fair to middling league. The gap in class here was very evident and on this performance Chippenham look certs for relegation.

norwich6

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Sunday 27th June 1230 delayed start
NCCA Trophy Group 3
Norfolk v Suffolk at Manor Park Horsford CC
Admission Norfolk 2021 member £35 else £3.50 Oap Scorecard free
Attendance around 200 or so at peak
Scores Suffolk 211 for 8 off 47 overs Norfolk 194 all out 47 overs Suffolk won by 17 runs.

Heavy early morning rain in the area led to a wet outfield and the scheduled 1100am start
was first put back to noon and then finally 1230 with the match being reduced to 47 overs
per side.

Norfolk had Suffolk reeling at 11 for 2 and looked to be even more in command when
they were reduced to 29 for 4 , however Joe Gatting 54 and Ben Shepperson 31 steadied them
Even so a score of 200 looked remote when they were 150 for 7 but Darren Batch who made 64
not out took them to a final score of 211. Ashley Watson with 3 for 42 was Norfolk's best bowler.

During the interval I looked over the fence and saw a Ladies football match with a decent crowd
and 3 match officials taking place at the Nest and guessed fellow poster mxhornet would
be attending there.

Norfolk got off to a slow start when batting but Sam Arthurton and Tom New had put on 49
before New was brilliantly run out by Shepperson. There was then a middle order collapse
and once Norfolk's best batsman Sam Arthurton was lbw to Batch for 55 the writing was on the
wall for Norfolk. A lot then rested on Stephan Marillier who the crowd hoped could repeat his heroics
of the day before however once he was caught on the boundary for 39 the game was effectively over.
Some late hitting by Norfolks tail enders took them to 194 but many of the crowd had long since
departed by then. Tom Rash with 3 for 34 was Suffolk's best bowler.

totallyuntamed

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Solihull Moors
Saturday June 26th North Staffordshire and South Cheshire Premier League 45 overs per side with a 12.30 start. Cheadle 133 all out 39.4 overs Whitmore 136-5 25.5 overs

A huge shock here as top of the table Cheadle were well beaten by bottom but one Whitmore. This game provided the first example of coloured clothing I have seen in an ECB accredited league. Cheadle is a small market town in the Staffordshire Moorlands and represented quite a challenge to get to, although well worth it when we arrived as you have some glorious hills on two sides of the ground.. The small ground is just outside the town centre, next to the park, and within a 5 minutes walk of the GBG listed Bird in Hand, which is well worth a visit between innings. There is a pavilion next to the tiny car park.
It was hard to tell if it was a difficult pitch or Cheadle's batting was just inept but they made really hard work of it and never looked like posting a substantial score and although a well supported Whitmore team lost wickets at regular intervals they eventually cruised to victory. I have only seen a handful of games in this league but from what Iittle l have seen I would judge it one of the weaker ECB Premier Leagues.

totallyuntamed

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Solihull Moors
Saturday June 26th North Staffordshire and South Cheshire Premier League 45 overs per side with a 12.30 start. Cheadle 133 all out 39.4 overs Whitmore 136-5 25.5 overs

A huge shock here as top of the table Cheadle were well beaten by bottom but one Whitmore. This game provided the first example of coloured clothing I have seen in an ECB accredited league. Cheadle is a small market town in the Staffordshire Moorlands and represented quite a challenge to get to, although well worth it when we arrived as you have some glorious hills on two sides of the ground.. The small ground is just outside the town centre, next to the park, and within a 5 minutes walk of the GBG listed Bird in Hand, which is well worth a visit between innings. There is a pavilion next to the tiny car park.
It was hard to tell if it was a difficult pitch or Cheadle's batting was just inept but they made really hard work of it and never looked like posting a substantial score and although a well supported Whitmore team lost wickets at regular intervals they eventually cruised to victory. I have only seen a handful of games in this league but from what Iittle l have seen I would judge it one of the weaker ECB Premier Leagues.

totallyuntamed

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Solihull Moors
Sunday June 27th National Knockout Trophy Group Final (Last 32) Cavaliers and Carrington 229-6 Kimberley Institute 227-8 40 overs Played at the Carrington Oval Mapperley (the former Police Headquarters ground).

The club was formed in 2018 with the former West Indian Cavaliers moving to what is now called the Carrington Oval (formerly known as Birchwood Park) in Mapperley, just north east of the city centre when they amalgamated with the former Carrington CC, which had been based in the nearby Hyson Green.
A really entertaining game, although the result makes it look a lot closer than it really was as Kimberley were always struggling to reach the required run rate and were able to get a lot closer than they should have thanks to some woefully wayward C and C bowling (10 wides in all). A funereal over rate (11 in the first hour of Kimberley's innings) meant that proceedings weren't completed until 7.15.
The ground is situated in the Mapperley Park Conservation Area and is surrounded by huge Victorian and Edwardian villas and as well as being an oval is also in a bowl with raised banks on three sides of the pitch. A narrow entrance off a cul-de-sac just off the main road could easily be missed without the benefit of satnav. There is a very modest pavilion here but unusually there is no bar (probably due to the fact that most of the players and supporters are Muslims).
C and C are previous winners of this competition but they will need to tighten up on their pace bowling if they are to go much further in this year's competition - they did not have the look of trophy winners to either myself or lordcleeoftilehill. In the next round they are away to Sandiacre - also previous winners.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock