Where are you going/where did you go - Cricket

Wheelbarrow

Youth Team Hopeful
Wednesday 22nd July Surrey Slam group game
Ham & Petersham v Punjab Royal XI
H&P 228-5 (20) PR 104ao (16.2)
H&P won by a country mile

Another day, another sunny evening on the boundary, this time at the very pleasant and well to do Ham Common, home to the 205 year old club. Although bounded on one side by the busy road between Kingston and Richmond, the pitch is sufficiently far away from that side that the noise isn't a problem.

Punjab Royal appear to be based at Osterley CC which is a bit of a surprise for a Surrey competition, but I think the exceptional circumstances of the year mean that things are more relaxed to get as many people playing as possible. They were a noticeably more mature side than their hosts, with a consequent effect on some of the fielding :)

But H&P put on a fine batting show starting with a 21 run opening over and the opener Rupert Reddish scoring 45 off 16 balls. They kept up the pace throughout, being on 125 after at the half way point. They finished 5 wickets down with two others having to retire having made 50s. Punjab were never in it in their reply, but kept going and almost lasted the 20 overs. They would have been out a few balls earlier had a fine catch not been off a free hit, conceded after a delivery bounced not twice but three times on the way down the wicket after the bowler just missed the moment to release the ball! Pick of the bowlers was Imran Afzal with 4 for 13 from his 4 overs. The official scorecard on playcricket has them only scoring 94 but three figures definitely went up on the portable scoreboard. Either way, no impact on the result.

Parking was a lot easier than I thought it would be, just pulling up to the side of the A307 Richmond Road. There was also lots of unrestricted spaces on Ham Common along the south-west side of the pitch but the square boundaries are very short there and whilst it didn't happen last night, it would be easy to imagine a firmly hit four denting a door panel were it to skip up off a stick or stone.

Last edited:

Wheelbarrow

Youth Team Hopeful
A word of warning to anyone visiting Ashford (the one near Heathrow). After a recent visitation by travellers they are taking to locking the gates after all the players have arrived and only opening it at the end of the game. I had decided to pop along to the first innings but leave then to get a few things done. The gate was very grudgingly opened just about wide enough to get my car out with a cheery "and you won't be let back in - I'm going back over there". Not the most pleasant set up anyway with huge open expanses and the clubhouse yards from the boundary but previously at least welcoming.

Stoodley Pike

Youth Team Star
Inevitably, the weather in northern England has taken a turn for the worse since cricket resumed so yet to get off the mark. Tomorrow's forecast is pretty unpromising. Don't particularly want to 'waste' ECB Premier League ticks on what is effectively merely a bunch of filler fixtures. Should the rain relent tomorrow afternoon (as forecasters indicate), might pop across York to watch Dringhouses host Carlton Towers in West 1 of the York & District Senior League. Not far to go if there's an abandonment. Sunday's weather looks much better. Tempted by the National Village Cup game at South Yorkshire Senior League Houghton Main, where 2019's beaten finalists entertain reigning Craven League champions Crossflatts. Crossflatts, incidentally, will step up to the Bradford League in 2021.

Sewnapart

Junior Team Sub
Inevitably, the weather in northern England has taken a turn for the worse since cricket resumed so yet to get off the mark. Tomorrow's forecast is pretty unpromising. Don't particularly want to 'waste' ECB Premier League ticks on what is effectively merely a bunch of filler fixtures. Should the rain relent tomorrow afternoon (as forecasters indicate), might pop across York to watch Dringhouses host Carlton Towers in West 1 of the York & District Senior League. Not far to go if there's an abandonment. Sunday's weather looks much better. Tempted by the National Village Cup game at South Yorkshire Senior League Houghton Main, where 2019's beaten finalists entertain reigning Craven League champions Crossflatts. Crossflatts, incidentally, will step up to the Bradford League in 2021.
Hopefully a weekend cricket double for me also. Aiming at pershore v belbroughton tomorrow. Then cumnor v oxford downs on Sunday. The former is very much weather permitting

ThorsHammer

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Derby County . St Johnstone
Saturday 25th July 2020
Hertfordshire ECB Premier League
West Herts v Radlett

A brisk 15 minute walk from home to watch West Herts score 160 for 6 from 37 overs before the heavy rain forced the game to be abandoned.
Oh well, it is summer

Sewnapart

Junior Team Sub
Wem v Wolverhampton for me ultimately. Around 100 people there in spite of an iffy weather forecast that never quite materialised.

Although the early leaden skies questioned the home sides decision to bat first as the ball was doing plenty and they slipped to 21-3. And an early finish looked highly likely as that became 77-7. But a last wicket partnership that almost doubled the score set wolves a target of 184.

Other than being 6-1 off 5 overs, the visitors never really looked in danger, though on losing their 5th wicket they needed 36 off 36 balls. But ultimately only lost 1 more wicket in reaching it with 8 balls to spare.

Thoroughly pleasant afternoon in the Shropshire countryside and only 5 minute walk from the station and after a jog for the train, I'm already halfway to shrewsbury. Apparently the bar is doing better trade than last year as an outdoor drinking area with a vast array of space is suddenly very appealing

Wheelbarrow

Youth Team Hopeful
Friday 24th July, Surrey Slam group game
Kew Green Giants v Hounslow Leopards
Hounslow 163-8 (20) Kew 158-4 (20)

A very pleasant evening on Kew Green watching what ended up being a close run game between debutant teams in this competition, lured in from outside Surrey presumably to help the demand for playing time from club members. The clubhouse bar was doing a roaring trade in drinks as many people came watched for a bit or simply used it as another pub and sat and chatted - all money in the bank for the club!

Hounslow batted first and got off to a good start, and were close to 100 for 2 at the half way point. A few more wickets and some better bowling in the second half meant a rather lower total than might have looked possible.

Kew gradually increased the tempo despite losing a few wickets along the way and ended up falling only just short at the death in the gathering gloom - the chimes for 9pm rang out as I reached my car on the far side of Kew Green.

I tried to find out where Hounslow Leopards are playing their home games but of the two guys I asked one "was just a guest player" and the other had been invited along by "that guy over there" who had seen him bowling to his mates in the park.

Kew are at home to Ham & Petersham next Friday and I could be tempted to retrace my steps then.

Saturday 25th July, Surrey Challenge Cup, Group 1
Esher v Sunbury
Esher 105-8 (20) Sunbury 106-2 (10.1)

Given the weather forecast this was my choice simply because they were starting at 12pm so I assumed I'd get an hour's more cricket than at a 1pm start before the mid afternoon deluge arrived. With a degree of admirable pragmatism the two teams had, on seeing the same forecast, agreed to play a T20 rather than the 40 over game which was a wise move.

Esher went into bat and the first player made the return trip just 4 balls later. This rather set the tone with the side just hanging on to complete the overs with 8 down but only 105 on the board - at 47-6 in the 11th over (a 2 wicket maiden) this was far from certain. Sam Burgess and Alex Hughes with three wickets apiece for the visitors. Sunbury weren't hanging about and had 46 on the board by the end of the third. A couple of wickets slowed their progress but only to the extent that they took 10 overs to reach their target.

A very pleasant ground in a well to do area between Esher and Claygate. The road by the entrance to the club is a private road so parking in the club car park is advised - I saw one snotty note on a tucked under a windscreen wiper! There is more space beyond the clubhouse, though you are at more risk of impact. The clubhouse was very well organised with a one way system for visitors, and ordering and pick up at opposite ends of the bar. A cafe was doing hot drinks and bacon rolls as well.

After the prompt ending to proceedings I popped along the road to Claygate to see what was going on there and watched the best part of an hour of their innings against Teddington Town. Two players reached their half centuries in that time, with Tom Sapsed still there on 81 when the by then steady drizzle become a downpour and a retreat was made. I doubt they got back on. A standard village rec with some big trees inside the boundary but a decent size. There is a building in mid construction on one side which appears to be a local recreation centre in the making. Not sure if it will include facilities for the cricket club who currently change in shipping containers.

Last edited:

Stoodley Pike

Youth Team Star
Saturday 25th July 2020
Dringhouses versus Carlton Towers (40-over match, 1pm start)
York & District Senior League, West 1
Dringhouses won the toss and elected to field
Carlton Towers 268-8 off 40 overs (4pts) beat Dringhouses 188 off 37.2 overs (0pts) by 80 runs
Free admission, no programmes
Attendance 35 (h/c)
Clubhouse bar open (didn't visit) but no food available

Hardly a great game to launch what little remains of my 2020 cricket season. After a showery morning, at least the rain stayed away. Take a bow, weather forecaster Sarah Keith-Lucas.

Carlton Towers, put in on a muggy, cloudy afternoon, set a challenging total (220 is a decent score here) Dringhouses never looked like overhauling. Mark Holmes, who hit 71 then took 5-30, was key as the visitors extended to two matches their 100 per cent start.

Tom Collins (73) and Henry Bayston (32) figured in a first wicket stand worth 116. Collins struck two sixes and 12 fours. Once he and Bayston had gone, Carlton's rapid scoring slowed noticeably. After Holmes's departure, Marcus Thandie (27 not out) and Josh Cruise (20) added useful late runs. Theo Walton took two wickets in an over on his way to figures of 4-78.

Despite the visitors conceding a stack of extras, Dringhouses' reply got off to a slow start, which set the tone for their innings. Liam Hancey (80) kept them in it but he lacked support. Daniel Snaith (23), Paul Milner (22) and George Wilson (21 not out) were the pick of his fellow batters.

Dringhouses Cricket Club share Dringhouses Sports & Social Club with Dringhouses Football Club, members of the York League. The pitches are laid out end to end, with a four-track section of the main east coast railway line a noisy neighbour, immediately beyond a line of tall evergreens on the west side. The clubhouse, a modern, brick, single-storey structure, occupies the northeast corner. A stream flows along the east edge of the site. The only benches are in the vicinity of the clubhouse.

Considerable recent investment has included provision of impressive all-weather nets, in the southeast corner, next to the football 'ground', whose only permanent infrastructure is its dugouts. I had a stroll on the football pitch during the tea interval. It felt lumpy and bumpy! St Helen's Road, which leads to National Conference League York Acorn Amateur Rugby League Club's ground, the other side of the railway, a couple of hundred yards away, bounds the site to the north. One Dringhouses six ended up on the road. Biggest hit of the afternoon.

Little sign of social distancing amid punters perched at picnic tables outside the clubhouse. Apparently, for the football on TV this past midweek, the place was shoulder to shoulder.

Last edited:

Stoodley Pike

Youth Team Star
Sunday 26th July 2020
Houghton Main versus Crossflatts (40-over game, 1.30pm start)
National Village Cup, Round One (Group Five, West & South Yorkshire)
Crossflatts won the toss and elected to bat
Crossflatts 97-9 off 22.3 overs lost by 10 wickets to Houghton Main 100-0 off 14.5 overs
Attendance 65 (h/c)

As dull as a goalless draw. South Yorkshire Senior League Houghton Main, beaten by Ribblesdale League Read in the 2019 final of this competition, eased aside reigning Craven League champions Crossflatts, who arrived a player short. Apparently, the missing man couldn't get anyone to mind his dog. To me, that sounds like somebody who woke up on a Sunday morning, possibly with a hangover, and simply didn't fancy a drive from mid-Airedale to the dark side of Barnsley.

Electing to bat, Crossflatts, who had tied with Haworth the previous day, offered token resistance. Wasim Hussain hit 26. The next best score was extras, 13. Usman Khan took 5-19 and Michael Bates 2-14. Houghton Main's reply was dominated by chunky wicketkeeper Simon Ward, whose 65 not out included a down-the-wicket six onto Middlecliff Lane. Captain Michael Brown was unbeaten on 24. The previous day, Houghton Main had been hammered at Cleethorpes.

Houghton Main Cricket Club share Houghton Main Miners Welfare - in Little Houghton - with Houghton Main Football Club, of the Sheffield County Senior League. The pitches are side by side. Though a neat, tidy set-up, it's hardly inspiring. A typically utilitarian miners welfare, really. The footballers have an impressive all-seat stand, a modern propped cantilever, flanked by perspex dugouts. Their pitch - in great condition - is railed on three sides. Everything decked out in orange and black. Very nice. With the addition of floodlights, Houghton Main FC would be good to go in the Northern Counties East League.

The clubhouse (undergoing extensive internal refurbishment) is at the north end of the site, next to a small car park, accessed via Middlecliff Lane. It's a red-brick, single-storey structure, with an armour-plated roof designed with protecting against stray cricket balls in mind. The scorebox is an integral gable. There's another scorebox, in the northeast corner, redundant apart from storing the groundstaff's equipment. Trees at the west end of the cricket square offer shade. A hedge runs along the east end. Benches and picnic tables are provided in front of the clubhouse.

As you'd expect in what used to be coal country, the locals are earthy and friendly.

At Dringhouses yesterday, we were asked to leave our names and contact details. Nothing like that this afternoon. If anything, lack of social distancing was even more prevalent this afternoon than yesterday. What is it about COVID-19 these people don't understand?

I asked one of the Crossflatts players about the club's decision to move up to the Bradford League in 2021. He said the preferred option had been the Airedale & Wharfedale League. However, with the Aire-Wharfe unable to give Crossflatts a straight answer, they leapt at the opportunity to join the Bradford League when a vacancy arose. The Crossflatts player reckoned the Bradford League would be "a lot different to what we're used to". On this evidence, Crossflatts will need to raise their game substantially if they are to be competitive. Oh, and put cricket before canines.

Last edited:

Wheelbarrow

Youth Team Hopeful
Sunday 26 July: Surrey Slam group game
West End Esher v Teddington Town
TT 174-3 (20) WEE 104-9 (15.2)

Whereas I got unexpected drama in Surrey.
The home club was founded in 1875 when the tradesmen of Esher Cricket Club split from the gentlemen of that club and moved to the common at West End. If that gives you the idea of downtrodden folks playing on a barren pitch in the wrong part of town then think again. They are not exactly slumming it on a very pretty village green with church, pub, ponds and some nice houses all around.

Teddington went into bat first in the tail end of some drizzly rain that had arrived about 20 minutes before the start but was clearly blowing through. In some trouble early on, with wickets falling at 6, 17 and 39, the ship was steadied and a 50 (with retirement) and the final pair unbeaten on 48 and 26 accelerated things with some fine slogs. The first non-meteorological drama of the day came in the third or fourth over when Ella Old came on to bowl and from her fourth delivery stopped a very firm drive with her lower shin/ankle. Obviously in some considerable discomfort, though at least able to get up and be assisted off the pitch, she took no further part,and I hope she is recovering well.

We'd had a brief interruption near the end of that innings as the drizzle which had been falling for 2 or 3 overs got just too much, but again it passed and we got to the turn around.

After losing an opener on 16, the second fell at 32 and he was followed immediately back to the boundary by the third. A fourth fell at 42 part way through the ninth over. Then James Townsend decided to have a go and by the end of the 10th over the score was 60-4 and it was 87-4 an over after that. At this point there was the main talking point of the day when a shot flew high to the cover boundary and was taken high above his head by a fielder right on the boundary, and the umpire raised the finger. There was immediate mutters of dissent on the pitch and boundary from the home side, and indeed questions raised by some of the other fielders. There was no rope or paint, just a ring of plastic flags so he held his pose while his captain came over, but he signalled a six. At this point the fielder started shrieking for the umpire to come over but he didn't and the batsman started to walk, albeit slowly. At this point there was some heated debate between the Teddington team and the appeal was indeed withdrawn and things eventually continued. Another contentious decision came when one lad was given out caught behind when most people didn't hear anything. West End didn't help themselves with a couple of silly run outs but were well beaten in the end. Townsend made his fifty and had to come off, but there was time for him to make a return at 8 down with Ella absent, but it only lasted a couple of balls and he was left on 52 not out from 25 balls. Just in time as well as the rain had started again before I even got to the car at the side of the Green. The players seemed to have forgotten their disagreements as it was elbow bumps all round as they applauded each other off the pitch.

The bar in the cricket pavillion was open and had been doing food earlier in the day with the now customary one way system in operation. An ice cream van on the opposite boundary completed the scene. A very pleasant spot to watch a game.

norwich6

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Saturday 25th July
East Anglian Premier League North Group 50 overs a side
Horsford v Cambridge at Manor Park Horsford
Score Horsford 292 for 5 off 50 overs Cambridge 226 for 5 off 40 overs
Admission free Attendance peaked at about 60
Cambridge won by 5 wkts on Duckworth Lewis Stern method
Though I have passed through the games at Manor Park just
over 100 times until Saturday I had never seen an EAPL match here.
The match was an intriguing one and we were lucky to see as many overs as
we did. The match was 15 minutes late starting due to rain and we had
another rain break after Horsford had batted 42 overs. Jason Reynolds
119 and Will Rogers 83 provided the backbone of Horsford's innings.
In reply Cambridge started off at a cracking pace at over 7 and half runs
per over and when the Duckworth score was first put on the scoreboard
were 50 runs ahead, We were then very fortunate to miss a thunderstorm
which passed over Norwich city centre and the south though we did go off for
thunder and a bit of rain but only for 15 minutes or so.
Cambridge's innings was reduced by 3 overs and they were set a revised
target of 280. Horsford brought on spin bowlers Chris Brown and Ryan
Findlay and they pegged the Cambridge score back so much
so that Cambridge's Duckworth lead was reduced to single
figures. In ever worsening light and with the return of light rain
Horsford even went ahead very briefly but once the spinners had finished
their allocated overs Cambridge again went ahead on the Duckworth
score. Finally after the completion of the 40th over and with the rain
getting heavier the umpires decided enough was enough and abandoned the
match with Cambridge adjudged the winners, Horsford were a bit upset by this
as they felt they would have won had the remaining 7 overs been completed
however I feel that the umpires made the correct decision.

totallyuntamed

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Solihull Moors
Northampton Saints have disappeared (or at least the first team has) whereas Brigstock are sitting the season out.

norwich6

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Sunday 26th July
Cricketer Village Cup 40 overs a side
Hethersett and Tas Valley v Overstrand at Station Rd Flordon
Score Hethersett 284 for 3 Overstrand 214 for 9
Admission free Attendance peaked at about 40
A ground I had previously visited in 2017 for a mid Norfolk Cup match.
Hethersett built up a formidable score of 284 thanks mainly to opener
Tom Collinshaw who carried his bat in making 148 not out. However
he was dropped three times two of which were relatively straight forward
chances. It was far too big a target for Overstrand although they were
91 for 1 at one stage but well below the asking rate. Ben Reedman was their
top scorer with 57 not out. I think Hethersett will find it much tougher
against Foxton in the next round.

As mxhornet reported on the old forum this is a pleasant venue to watch cricket
at and its possible to get a really good view of proceedings from a grass bank
at one end of the ground.

totallyuntamed

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Solihull Moors
Saturday July 25th Warwickshire League North Warwickshire Group A

Pak Shaheen 117 all out 33.4 overs Water Orton 119-5 24 overs

A very dodgy weather forecast ruled out my intended trip to Boston - a decision proved correct as they had considerable disruption there - so the logical thing to do was to find a game near my home; rain is never quite as bad when you have only driven a few miles and I always try to do one Warwickshire League game a season. When we arrived we discovered that the heavy rain an hour earlier had pushed the start back to 1.10 with the number of overs reduced to 40. The ground is situated on Burrow Hill Lane, directly opposite Keresley RFC (which houses one football pitch) and technically is in Corley as it is a few hundred yards outside the Coventry boundaries. It is an attractive ground , high up above Coventry,with rolling Warwickshire countryside all around and the Pakistani heritage club have worked wonders here on a ground that was formerly agricultural land which they purchased in 2007 and started playing on in 2011. There is quite a drop from the clubhouse down to the pitch but the rest of the ground is flat. The car park here is quite small so if there were to be a sizeable crowd you would struggle to get a place.
Water Orton are very much fallen giants in this league and eventually proved much too strong for the homesters who fielded several players most definitely not in the first flush of youth. However, they were rocking earlier in their innings before an excellent 50 by Grant Roscorla steadied the ship. Obviously not as high a standard as the Premier League but a decent enough game and the venue is recommended.

Stoodley Pike

Youth Team Star
Saturday 1st August 2020
Gildersome & Farnley Hill versus East Leeds (40 over match, 1.0 start)
Bradford League, Covid Division Three (tier four)
G&FH won the toss and elected to bat
G&FH 79 off 28.3 overs (0pts) lost by seven wickets to EL 80-3 off 16 overs (20pts)
Attendance 46 (h/c)

Another poor game, on a cloudy, breezy afternoon. Not very warm for August! Electing to bat, Gildersome & Farnley Hill were feeble. Only opener and captain Richard Bedford (28) stuck around for any length of time. Extras (13) was the next best score. East Leeds skipper Shamoon Mushtaq (3-13), Ben Wilkinson (3-16) and Abid Tarvas (3-28) did the damage.

Openers Zahid Tarvas (26) and Dean Atkinson (24), the wicketkeeper, put on 49 for the first East Leeds wicket. Ben Clay took 3-31 but blotted his copybook by conceding a number of extras (wides and a no ball). The wayward medium pacer had a couple of overs that extended to nine deliveries.

Despite having to drive back to York, we were home before five o'clock. Think I'll let my wife choose next Saturday's game. She can't do any worse.

After today, 12 of the 48 Bradford League grounds remain to be ticked. Getting down to the less interesting ones now. Gildersome & Farnley Hill play at Gildersome Sports Club, home also to Gildersome Spurs FC (judging by the size of the goals stored behind the scoreboard, it's a junior club).

The single-storey clubhouse, located along one half of the south side, opened in 1978. Replacing two wooden huts, it was built partly by club members. The electronic scoreboard (not in use this afternoon owing to COVID-19 restrictions), one of the first in the district, was installed around the same time, as was the narrow access off Street Lane and a drive to a small parking area. Post-war, red-brick semis fringe the east end, with a row of mature trees opposite. Beyond are open fields, and there cannot be many of those remaining between the steadily converging concrete jungles of Leeds and Bradford.

Gildersome Sports Club, off the A62 and two minutes from Junction 27 of the M62, is owned by the cricket club. In the 1950s, Gildersome CC were given the title deeds to the ground by a local family who had a big interest in cricket and were keen to preserve the well-being of the village club.

The Gildersome and Farnley Hill cricket clubs joined forces in summer 2017. Farnley Hill were struggling at their former base, a pretty if tiny ground adjacent to the Greyhound pub in nearby Tong. Gildersome, whose traceable history goes back to 1873, have played most of their cricket in the Leeds and Central Yorkshire leagues. The latter merged with the Bradford League in 2016. Farnley Hill (whose origins have a link to their village's Methodist church) were members of the Dales Council's 'A' Section. They joined the Dales Council in 1969.

A news item: East Leeds Cricket Club are unable to use their own ground this season. Apparently, Leeds City Council undertook some improvement work on the pitch. So big a mess did the local authority make, the surface won't be playable until 2021.

Last edited:

Wheelbarrow

Youth Team Hopeful
Saturday 1 August
Surrey Challenge Trophy Group 1
Reigate Priory v Esher, 40 overs, 1pm
Reigate 252ao (39.3) Esher 123ao (32.2)

Reigate elected to bat in glorious conditions. A steady start came to an end on 24. This brought Angus Dahl to the crease. He was last out just shy of the full allocation having scored an excellent 119 off 120 balls including 11 fours. It was just as well he was there, as shortly after that they were 30-4 but the next two partnerships lasted 64 (with Jordan Bunyan) and 56 (with Richard Stevens) made their innings. Another 50 run partnership for the ninth wicket helped put the game further beyond Esher. Though Esher hardly helped themselves with some wayward bowling, the bottom line of the scorecard reading Extras 78 (14b, 4lb, 59w, 1nb ) - yes, checked for typos, I mean 59 wides, the first over of the day went into double digits of deliveries. The umpore was overheard at the changeover saying "no, they were WIIIIIDDE" presumably in response to an enquiry about how harsh he had been.

The visitors got off to a shaky start, falling to 16-2 and the only real partnership of note was 41 for the third wicket. Only two batsmen broke 20 runs, and only some dogged resistance by the tail spun the game out till the 33rd over. Some excellent fielding helped Reigate including a very smart slip catch almost behind his head at face height, a run out at the non strikers end deflecting a straight drive onto the stumps, and a quick stumping as the batsman pirouetted after attempting a reverse sweep.

Reigate have an impressive set up just south of the town centre, but walking distance to the shops during the self-catering tea interval. An omnisports venue with tennis courts, a bowls club, the dug outs of the namesake football club fringing the boundary, and even a couple of gents playing croquet on a well manicured pitch. Bar service was the now familiar table in front of the pavilion doors where orders were taken one side and dispensed the other, and a steady trade was done all day, accelerating markedly when the 5th XI arrived back to HQ to celebrate a seven wicket victory over Hook & Southborough. There was even a programme - a first for me in club cricket down here. A single sheet of heavy paper with match details on the front, a history of Reigate v Esher and an advert inside, and line ups and club fixtures for the day on the back.

A fine day out, and now to ponder which boundary to sit on tomorrow, Village Cup or Middlesex County League Cup.

Last edited:

Sewnapart

Junior Team Sub
elsecar v appleby frodingham
Yorkshire premier league south
Appleby frod 225-6 beat elsecar 212-9 by 13 runs

Combined this one with Wombwell town by missing overs 11-40 of first innings (about 6 mile drive). And a bar crawl of Sheffield

Beautiful setting for cricket, but a postage stamp ground made for some fun here. Both sides scores were founded on big opening partnerships and struggling down the order. Elsecar did look in a very strong position at 51-0 off 10 but were suffocated in the middle overs and actually got closer than it looked like being with some gung ho hitting from their number 11 (13 off 5). Very impressed by Appleby frodingham attitude, fielding (probably saved 20 runs by being as tight as hell) and captaincy, exemplified by the second wicket where the batsman kept trying to switch hit and he subtly adjusted the field and bowled for it.

Wheelbarrow

Youth Team Hopeful
Sunday 2nd August
National Village Cup 2nd Round, Group 25 (Berkshire)
Wraysbury v Pinkneys Green, 40 overs, 1pm
Pinkneys Green 165-8 (40) Wraysbury 168-4 (24.3)
Wraysbury win by six wickets

Another lovely day here so too good an opportunity to miss heading along to this. Choice of fixture made more by time remaining after a few jobs, but a good choice none the less. Wraysbury play at a very pleasant ground on The Green just down and across the road from the football ground.

Pinkneys Green went into bat first. No-one really got going and wickets fell at regular intervals. Whilst they batted out the allocation, their total never looked enough. The home side lost their first wicket to the second ball of the over but then made a brisk start at about 5 an over for the first 5 or 6. Two more quick wickets and a strong shout for a third strangled the rate a bit, but as they reached the middle of their overs, they had got back ahead of the pace and then pushed the button. The 20th over went for 19 including a six onto the tiles of the pavilion, and the next two for 13 and 11. They coasted home after that with both settled batsmen making their half centuries. One was out just before the end but with little effect to the proceedings or result.

The clubhouse was well set up for current measures - a one way system to use the loos using one door to go in and another to exit to corridor that led to both ladies and gents. The welcoming bar upstairs had a signing in book and the new balcony expanded over the winter had about 6 or 7 bar stools set up at intervals. This was a great place to watch the game from an elevated place, only reluctantly surrendered when the sun got too hot! Plenty of other benches around the perimeter to watch from and a healthy crowd watched some or all of the game.

I overheard someone say they will be away in the next round to the winners of today's other group game between Cookham Dean and Peppard Stoke Row.

Last edited:

Stoodley Pike

Youth Team Star
Sunday 2nd August 2020
Carlton Towers versus Frickley Colliery (40 over match, 1.0 start)
National Village Cup, Round Two (Group Four, North Yorkshire, South, Semi-Final)
CT won the toss and elected to bat
CT 344-3 off 40 overs beat by 189 runs FC 155 off 32.3 overs
Attendance 55 (h/c)
Clubhouse bar open only for soft drinks (didn't visit)

Easy for Carlton Towers (named after a country house) as York & District Senior League trumped Pontefract & District League. I think they now meet South Holderness, another York & District League side, after Nidderdale League Alne conceded Group Four's other semi-final. An Alne player had tested positive for COVID-19. I'd expect Carlton Towers, who the previous day had crushed by 10 wickets league visitors Osbaldwick, to hand a similar pummelling to Hedon-based South Holderness.

Frickley Colliery, from South Elmsall (their ground is next to Frickley Athletic FC's), were left to regret dropping run machine Tom Collins off the second ball of a progressively sunnier, warmer afternoon. A sharp chance was put down at second slip. Collins went on to score 162 (24 fours, four sixes). He received strong support from Rob Holah (85 not out) and Mark Holmes (67 not out) as Carlton Towers piled up a daunting total. Louis Baker took 2-55.

Arthur Scargill's boys looked on course for a hell of a beating when they lost two wickets in the first over then slumped to 32-6. But Lewis Binns (68) and Jason Mills (50) added 65 for the seventh wicket. Their commendable effort merely delayed the inevitable. Binns was the last man out. Carlton Towers used 10 bowlers. They didn't take things particularly seriously once the outcome was obvious. A bit of bowling practice, essentially. Matthew Torn finished with 3-16, Joe Romaniw 2-12.

Carlton Towers' attractive ground is alongside the A1041, amid crop fields between the village of Carlton and the small town of Snaith. Drax Power Station - fuelled by biomass these days - is close by but its platoon of cooling towers is hidden by trees at the north end. A tidy clubhouse occupies the northeast corner. The good-size pitch is bordered by a chicken wire fence; a minor irritant when once is perched low in a fold-up chair. Plenty of spare turf - for parking - on the west side and at the north end. This being the Humberhead Levels, there isn't any scenery.

Arguably the most exciting incident of the afternoon was the high-speed arrival of a group of teenage yobs, driving a banger with one of those daft noisy exhausts. They raced through the gates and charged round to the west side, where the driver executed a handbrake turn before fleeing whence he had come. The loon pulled straight onto the main road without pausing, almost colliding with a 4x4. One of the Carlton Towers boundary fielders passed on the registration to an umpire, who made a careful note. Don't suppose anything will result. Unfortunately, behaving like a twat isn't a criminal offence. If it were, 75 per cent of the population would have a record.

Last edited:

totallyuntamed

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Solihull Moors
Sunday 2nd August 2020
Carlton Towers versus Frickley Colliery (40 over match, 1.0 start)
National Village Cup, Round Two (Group Four, North Yorkshire, South, Semi-Final)
CT won the toss and elected to bat
CT 344-3 off 40 overs beat by 189 runs FC 155 off 32.3 overs
Attendance 55 (h/c)
Clubhouse bar open only for soft drinks (didn't visit)

Easy for Carlton Towers (named after a country house) as York & District Senior League trumped Pontefract & District League. I think they now meet South Holderness, another York & District League side, after Nidderdale League Alne conceded Group Four's other semi-final. An Alne player had tested positive for COVID-19. I'd expect Carlton Towers, who the previous day had crushed by 10 wickets league visitors Osbaldwick, to hand a similar pummelling to Hedon-based South Holderness.

Frickley Colliery, from South Elmsall (their ground is next to Frickley Athletic FC's), were left to regret dropping run machine Tom Collins off the second ball of a progressively sunnier, warmer afternoon. A sharp chance was put down at second slip. Collins went on to score 162 (24 fours, four sixes). He received strong support from Rob Holah (85 not out) and Mark Holmes (67 not out) as Carlton Towers piled up a daunting total. Louis Baker took 2-55.

Arthur Scargill's boys looked on course for a hell of a beating when they lost two wickets in the first over then slumped to 32-6. But Lewis Binns (68) and Jason Mills (50) added 65 for the seventh wicket. Their commendable effort merely delayed the inevitable. Binns was the last man out. Carlton Towers used 10 bowlers. They didn't take things particularly seriously once the outcome was obvious. A bit of bowling practice, essentially. Matthew Torn finished with 3-16, Joe Romaniw 2-12.

Carlton Towers' attractive ground is alongside the A1041, amid crop fields between the village of Carlton and the small town of Snaith. Drax Power Station - fuelled by biomass these days - is close by but its platoon of cooling towers is hidden by trees at the north end. A tidy clubhouse occupies the northeast corner. The good-size pitch is bordered by a chicken wire fence; a minor irritant when once is perched low in a fold-up chair. Plenty of spare turf - for parking - on the west side and at the north end. This being the Humberhead Levels, there isn't any scenery.

Arguably the most exciting incident of the afternoon was the high-speed arrival of a group of teenage yobs, driving a banger with one of those daft noisy exhausts. They raced through the gates and charged round to the west side, where the driver executed a handbrake turn before fleeing whence he had come. The loon pulled straight onto the main road without pausing, almost colliding with a 4x4. One of the Carlton Towers boundary fielders passed on the registration to an umpire, who made a careful note. Don't suppose anything will result. Unfortunately, behaving like a twat isn't a criminal offence. If it were, 75 per cent of the population would have a record.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks