Wednesday 26 February 2020

FLOYD FIRECAN

Junior Team Sub
Wednesday 26th February 2020

National League Alliance Academies - North Division

Chester 7 - 0 Alfreton [H.T. 4-0] Kick off 1.00 p.m.
Admission - F.O.C. Att 24 [h/c]

The game was transferred to a 4G pitch at Vauxhall Motors and, has too often been the case recently, a strong wind was in attendance which was in favour of the hosts as the game got under way. Chester took immediate control of proceedings with early efforts on goal being blocked by visiting defenders. Extra pressure was applied by a succession of long throws but Alfreton held out until the 37th minute when their keeper parried a 20 yard free kick resulting in a Chester tap in. Within 2 minutes Chester doubled their lead by heading in a left wing corner and the flurry of goals continued when they added nos. 3 and 4 just before the break.
Alfreton enjoyed a greater share of the play during the 2nd period but it was still Chester who were making the greater inroads with the 5th goal arriving following a smart move in the 65th minute. Problems increased for the visitors shortly afterwards when being reduced to 10 men through injury after using their only available substitute. A superb long range shot produced a 6th goal for Chester and shortly before the end, another team effort completed the scoring against opposition who never gave up.

Last edited by a moderator:

hantslondoner

Junior Team Star
I'll add to this post, since it's clearly the right date, despite the lack of thread title (assume mods can fix):

Hampshire Premier League Cup Semi-Final @ Locks Heath

Colden Common 3 Infinity 1

admission/programme none (whiteboard used) attendance est 65

9th (games in hand) v 1st (undefeated)
Surprise here - Infinity's first defeat by a HPFL side this season. Common were superb in the first half, and did enough after the break despite an improved performance by Infinity.
Common took the game to their opponents, who left three of their best-known players on the bench, from the start and New (looking like a slimmer Alan Sunderland, for those who can remember him) had an early shot over. A long shot from Adams then forced a decent save by Boyle. After 15 mins, Infinity's first venture upfield resulted in a penalty as the ball hit a Common hand from a very short distance - little chance to get out of the way - but Wilkinson's spot kick was easily saved by Hixon, diving to his left. Common came back and took the lead after 19 mins, a good run and cross from the left saw Callard control the ball and set up Paskins to score. Adams had another shot over before Common doubled their lead on 32 mins, a good cross from the right saw Richards bursting through the middle to hammer the ball into the roof of the net. A third came on 42 mins from a corner, it looked like Callard running in to head powerfully into the net, although some people there, reckoned it was an own goal. Boyle also had to save well from Ashton before the break, HT a stunning 3-0.
In the second half, Common still looked dangerous on the break, an early shot by New going over, but Infinity slowly came into the game, helped by Boud and Phillips coming on at half time. Phillips had a shot over, Cripps headed a corner onto the top of the bar, and White produced a good turn but his shot was just wide. On 66 mins they were given a lifeline as a similar penalty to the one in the first half was given (again IMO more ball to hand) and this time Boud sent Hixon the wrong way to reduce the deficit. Incidentally, according to his father, tonight saw Boud's 500th appearance (with 124 goals from midfield) in what has been an impressive career. Common could have increased their lead again shortly after as a good run from New on the right set up Adams, who hesitated and the chance was gone. Phillips had a header just over for Infinity, but they were unable to break down the Common defence - just one chance for Phillips, wide - and were increasingly vulnerable to the break - one long ball saw Adams head over the onrushing Boyle, but the ball was cleared from the line by a defender. New had a shot over the bar and there were a couple more shots wide. Near to full time sub White was clear through for Common but Boyle came out well to save with his legs.
A great evening for Common; the final against Bush Hill is scheduled for May 6th at Hythe and Dibden. A surprisingly good pitch at Locks after all the rain, who hosted the match in their usual friendly way, with tea bar and bar in full swing.

Last edited:

Dave 56

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Leatherhead
EMCFL. Admission £5/£3. Programme available. Crowd 21.

Ingles 1 v 3 Sherwood Colliery

My first visit to Shepshed for 32 years. Brian Clough was watching the match that day. Tea bar and bar both open but only hot drinks, no food.

A slow start to this game but eventually on 26 minutes the visitors took the lead from a slightly deflected free kick and added their second four minutes later with a crisp volley to lead by two at the break.

The second half started slowly as well but on 61 minutes Colliery added their third to close out the game. On 66 the visitors got a consolation but in truth were never going to trouble Sherwood who took over the top spot in the league with this result.

SimonUpNorth

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
North West non-league
Mid-Season Friendly
Manchester Eagles 3 South Manchester Athletic 11 (HT 2-9)
St Anne's Academy 3G, Middleton
KO 8pm (actually kicked off at 8.18pm)
Free, no facilities at all, including no changing rooms in use
Crowd : 1 (me)

New venue for me - the St Anne's Academy is on Hollin Lane, Middleton, on the road that approaches Junction 19 of the M62. The 3G pitch is at the back - there is lots of parking at the front of the school with a straight forward walk down behind the school. Players all got changed at the side of the pitch.

The pitch was in use with a youth game before the 8pm KO. Manchester Eagles were there from about 7.30 warming up in a segment not being used for the small pitch youth game. South Manchester Athletic only turned up around 7.55 so KO was delayed until 8.18pm.

So, Manchester Eagles are a new team playing in the TotalFootball Manchester Sunday League, which is a brand new league that plays Feb to May, so Eagles had played 3 games in Feb so far (having had no friendlies) and so this was their 4th ever game, having won 1 and lost 2 league games

South Manchester Athletic are bottom of the bottom tier of the Stockport Sunday League with 1 win, so I wasn't expecting much from them to be honest.

However, Manchester Eagles were short of some of their best players on the night, including a keeper, and it showed as SMA raced into a 6-0 lead on 25 mins !

0-1 3 mins; 0-2 4 mins; 0-3 8 mins; 0-4 16 mins; 0-5 22 mins; 0-6 25 mins

Then came a comeback of sorts
1-6 35 mins; 2-6 37 mins

But then...
2-7 39 mins; 2-8 40 mins (penalty); 2-9 44 mins and the whistle went for HT just as it KOd off again

The ref said the score was 2-10, but when I asked if he was sure, he checked his notes and confirmed the HT score was 2-9.

Then...
2-10 52 mins; and it stayed that way until 2-11 88 mins; 3-11 89 mins

So that equalled my biggest ever goal tally in a game (with the 7-7 Catforth League game last year)

This was my 3rd ever game of me being the only spectator - along with Wardle in 2016 & Deans in 2018.

Tales From The Riverbank3

Junior Team Sub
….And another episode in the never ending Parkside soap opera....

Grays Athletic 1 v 2 AFC Sudbury - Isthmian League Division 1 North
Door wedge(seriously) 76 pages £2.00 - Admittedly a double issue with previous Saturdays game - Admission £10.00 - Att 166

…..Unlike their landlords, (the occasionally) Super Blues of Grays Athletic are having what is best described as a mediocre season and even though they appear clear of the bottom positions, after what was a disastrous opening, there were the pessimists who were envisaging a race to the bottom of the league and a Play Off fixture against one of the more ambitious local Level 5 teams to attempt to preserve their IL status.

On the basis of the opening twenty minutes, you could fully understand the misanthropic nature of the home stalwarts, however it did improve and OK I may be al little biased here but IMHO the hosts were unfortunate not to garner a point from a dramatically improved second half.

The opening minutes for the hosts were a total shambles, the marking was non existent as a Callum Harrison struck a low corner from the right and Adam Bailey-Dennis placed with ease past Danny Sambrook from close range and the lead was quickly doubled as Maycock half rounded Sambrook taking out of position and sensibly laid back to Harrison to loft into the gaping net with the outside of his boot. In between the goals, Sambrook made three important saves and then was fortunate as he hared off his line but Alfie Adams went past him, but his goalbound shot was deflected for a corner by the outstretched boot of Ryan Sammons. At this stage, anything apart from a healthy away win looked the most likely outcome.

Grays though dramatically improved as the first half progressed. It did not start promisingly as Ruben Soares skewed a decent chance wide, but in first half stoppage time a free kick from MacAuley Joynes was turned into his own net by Ryan O'Malley.

The curious aspect of the second half was how we failed to increase the goal tally beyond three, plenty of chances for both teams as Adams and Ben Hunter missed opportunities for the visitors and a 4g rubber crumb cutter of a shot from Harrison was held onto by Sambrook. At the other end, Grays were genuinely unfortunate not to level as firstly a drive from Nathan Fox struck the bar and they went even closer soon after when a shot from distance by Steve King rebounded remarkably off the underside of the bar and just stayed the wrong side of the goal line. The hosts cause was not assisted by the straight red given to King who hacked at Harrison's ankle as he bore down on goal. Contest reffed by Kirsty Dowle who gave the impression that she is a no nonsense type of gal when it comes to dealing with the male miscreants on her pitch. In the final minute of stoppage time with Sambrook in the opposite penalty area to where he should have been saw a scramble which saw a header off the line from a Carlos shot, but Ms Dowle conveniently blew her whistle signalling the end as Sudbury were breaking away in the direction of the empty Grays goal. Overall an enjoyable contest.

To break with the norm, experimented on the outward route by walking from Ockendon Station. Not a travel option to undertake on a regular basis as fully forty minutes of long strides arriving just twenty minutes before kick off. The walk instils into the psyche what an expanse of area Ockendon covers. Normal TFL 372 (and on time Routemaster Graham!!) service in place for the return journey....

Westberkspalace

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Palace/Didcot T/Epsom and Ewell.
Championship KO 8pm. Reading 0-3 Wigan Athletic, attendance 10,088, admission £10 (mates rate), programme £3, coffee £2.60.

Only the the second time I've seen the Royals this season and with my Reading born wife in attendance with me I was looking forward to a competitive game. However the relegation threatened visitors were far to organised, threatening and frankly 'up for it' than the lame hosts. A lovely back heel flick from Kieffer Moore put the visitors ahead in the first half, and while Reading with the introduction of veteran Charlie Adam pushed in the second half they lacked cohesiveness, and struggled to create chances. So it was no surprise Jamal Lowe added a second with a 15 yard half volley. On 90 minutes we had a very nasty injury to Wigan's Dunkley, both sets of players immediately waving for the physios/doctor to come on, strange one as it looked perhaps a non contact injury but subsequently heard it was a suspected broken leg. In 90+9 with the stadium half empty Michael Jacobs dinked the ball over the keeper for a third. On this form Reading could get dragged into the relegation scrap, Barnsley at home this Saturday looks like a six pointer.

prorege

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
King Cup Round One
Stirling University Reserves v Kinnoull, P-P.

Driving across to this I remarked that I would not be surprised if it was a late postponement. Stirling Uni had indicated earlier I the day that it would go ahead but given recent rain and hard frost I had my doubts. And anyway, the Uni had other things on their mind with the first having a massive Brtish Cup Quarter Final at home to Nottingham in the afternoon.

That went ahead on the Astro and Stirling won 3-0. When referee Jordan Curran arrived for the evening King Cup tie he had no hesitation in declaring the pitch unplayable. Most of it was ok but there were areas that were dangerous on one side. Tall trees shelter the south side of the pitch and areas were still frozen hard from the previous night’s minus five temperatures.

Such is life and I wasn’t greatly disappointed as it would have been a very cold watch. For those who are familiar with the Stirling Uni grounds, then you may not be as familiar as you think. The main Gannochy Building which housed changing rooms and reception, accessed by steps down from the main entrance road to the Uni, has been demolished. Building work has begun on a new sports hall facility of some sort.

Access is now from further up towards the University, next to the main car park. It’s quite a steep path down through the woods to the entrance now and an even steeper walk back up.

penny banner

Junior Team Sub
Contest reffed by Kirsty Dowle who gave the impression that she is a no nonsense type of gal when it comes to dealing with the male miscreants on her pitch.
[/QUOTE]

Good to find a fellow Kirsty fan. I bet the game kicked off on time.

Reactions: Les

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Nice smile Penelope -

Image result for Kirsty Dowle photos

TrevorT

Junior Team Hopeful
Eastern Counties League First Division South

Benfleet 3 v. Newbury Forest 0
Admission £5 with Programme - was for the original postponed game but that was only 11 days ago!
Played at Canvey Island FC (groundshare). Att 36

A match up of two passing sides with one of them being better at it than the other. Benfleet dominated from start to finish with the first goal coming from a long range deflected and looping effort from Ben Foord which caught everyone watching by surprise when it dropped in under the bar - including the Newbury Forest keeper. The second came just before half time via a superb 25 yard free kick from the very impressive James Brown. Brown added the third just after half time when again the Forest keeper may have made a better job saving another long range effort.

I'm not saying I wasn't totally enthralled by the nights action, but it dawned on me during the first half that the passing style both sides adopt meant that the first free kick for a foul wasn't awarded until the 22nd minute of the match. In fact Benfleet's second goal scored from a free kick was only the third awarded in the whole of the first half. The ref had a quiet night

Interesting to hear conversations around the ground discussing whether certain Benfleet players should be considered for the first team! They may be called Benfleet and play in that clubs traditional light blue..but they are Canvey Island Reserves in all but name

paulh66

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
Eastern Counties League First Division South

Benfleet 3 v. Newbury Forest 0

Played at Canvey Island FC (groundshare). Att 36

Interesting to hear conversations around the ground discussing whether certain Benfleet players should be considered for the first team! They may be called Benfleet and play in that clubs traditional light blue..but they are Canvey Island Reserves in all but name
Or do they just have a few players on dual registration? I don't know but, while dual registrations are allowed, it can be a fine line at times.

Dribble!

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Ipswich Town
Kingstonian 3 Corinthian Casuals 1
Isthmian Premier
St George's Field

Admission: £10
Programme: £2- original from postponed game in December but with a 15 page insert/update
Attendance: 397

Tenant v Landlord meant it was a game with a good sized crowd and plenty of banter between the two sets of fans. Kingstonian had most of the play however casuals were sharp on the break and took an early lead, Kingstonian got back on terms with a cracking individual goal before the break.

Kingstonian had far more of the play in the second half but did not take the lead till very close to the end with a disputed penalty, they added a third in injury time.

TrevorT

Junior Team Hopeful
Or do they just have a few players on dual registration? I don't know but, while dual registrations are allowed, it can be a fine line at times.
Yes Paul, I’m sure that probably most Benfleet players are dual registered with Canvey Island. What I found interesting was the view of the supporters who themselves see Benfleet and Canvey Island as reserves and first team. In addition if you look for a Benfleet FC website you won’t find one. If you look at Canvey Island’s website and click on ‘teams’, that’s where you’ll find all of Benfleet’s fixtures and results. Or that could be because they are ground sharing

The F.A. see them as a separate club (which Benfleet always have been at step 7 or lower), but these days they are at best described as a feeder club if not full blown ressies.

Cleeve

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Bristol City
St Albans City
Verulam Cycling Club
BUCS Men's League - South Eastern Conference Cup Semi-final
Middlesex University 1st v UCFB 2nd (Wembley) 1-4 (ht 0-2)
Venue: St Josephs Catholic High School, Great Strand, Colindale, London NW9; kickoff 1945hrs
Entry: Free, no programme
Attendance: circa 30

A brand new 3g facility at this school which faces the Royal Air Force Museum. There was plenty of parking on-site at this time of night, but on-street parking may be required for their 1815hrs kickoffs. There is an entrance at the back of the school buildings which leads to the changing rooms, toilets and sports hall. The pitch is significantly higher than the car park with steps (and tarmacked slope) leading up to the floodlit cage. Spectators have a railed off area on the side nearest the road with the usual sight impediments of various goal posts and the home 'bench' standing in front of them.

There was good support for both teams tonight plus a few hoppers. UCFB stands for University Campus of Football Business and so you would assume that all their students like football even if they don't play. I have seen their presence at various non-league games honing their skills in the media aspects of twitter, videoing and producing match stats. They are currently based at Manchester City's ground and Wembley Stadium and although tonight's team are officially UCFB Seconds they are Wembley's First team. They have apparently had four consecutive promotions, and are favourites to win their division this season as well, and are now one tier above tonight's opponents.

The match didn’t start until nearly eight o’clock because a women’s game was still using half the pitch, although this certainly wasn’t the Middlesex women's scheduled 1815hrs kickoff against Caterbury CC (which would have also overlapped the men’s 1945hrs kickoff time). Middlesex certainly took the game to UCFB but lacked their touch or composure and couldn't make their possession count. The visitors showed them how to do it with two quick goals midway through the first half. The first was from an excellent through ball for Ollie Stevens to convert, but the second looked like Stevens kicked the ball out of the keeper's hands before scoring.

An even first half was followed by a second half dominated by the home team, at least in terms of possession. UCFB soaked it all up and wrapped up the tie in the 61st minute. Steven's completed his hattrick on 82 minutes and Middlesex finally worked out how score on 90 minutes.

Sungater

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
None
"Good to find a fellow Kirsty fan. I bet the game kicked off on time.”

Yes it did which is almost unheard of for an evening game in this neck of the woods.
She did have a good game although her use of the cards was, I thought, rather inconsistent.

Dr Love

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Halifax Town
Woodley United 2-5 Holyport
Hellenic 1st Division East

Holyport started strongly and by the time they had opened the scoring in the 2nd minute they already had one poor miss and managed to hit the post twice. As the half wore on Woodley did get into the game more, but Holyport always looked the more likely to score which they managed just before half time. The second half was more lively, with Woodley scoring twice midway through the half to level. Parity didn't last long as Holyport soon regained the lead. Two goals in added time eventually making the game safe.

On arrival I noticed a couple of areas on the pitch which looked fairly poor, but overall it played fairly well. Sky were due to have some of their cameras at the ground for this game to shoot a feature on the Wycombe manager Gareth Ainsworth who is playing for Woodley. As he is currently out injured, they'll have to wait.

Mek

Junior Team Starter
Wyvern Combination Challenge Cup
Downton Res 2 Totton & Eling Res 2 (4-5 on pen)

Took a punt on this one after my original plan of Warminster had been waterhogged off earlier in the day. Relieved to see the lights shining brightly as I headed down the valley to Downton.

Plenty of action in the first half. The goals:
T&E in front after 7 mins. Ball over the top, forward clear on goal who made no mistake from 10yds. On 22 mins, the equaliser. A freekick floated was punched clear to the edge of the box to a Downton player who fired the rebound home. 37 mins T&E were back in front, ball neatly through the middle splits the defence and the onrushing no 10 made no mistake from 10yds. Downton levelled again before the break with a 30yds strike into the top left corner.
Lots of Downton chances in the 2nd half but they couldn't convert.
The first 8 penalties were on target. Downton 's 5th was saved with T&E scoring their 5th to win the tie.

Royals26

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Reading FC
Championship KO 8pm. Reading 0-3 Wigan Athletic, attendance 10,088,
+2 on ST duty

Match: dire insipid shapeless, guileless tosh.

We were that bad we made Wigan look the equal of WBA -which on this weekend's showing probably wasn't far wrong?

No excuses though - poor selection , puzzling formation and no-one deserved more than 3/10 for effort.

Wigan thoroughly deserve the spoils and I hope their lad badly injured at the end, is back playing soon.

Crowd must have Ben well below the official 10k - were barely 150 visiting fans though tbf I doubt we'd take many more up to their place on a cold damp Feb midweek.

Chris1963

Junior Team Regular
Turkey (1. Lig) 4.30 pm

Altinordu 2 BB Erzurumspor 1 (H/T 0-0)

Entry – I paid 100 TL (about £13) for the best available seat, not sure about other parts of ground

Crowd – c. 900 -1,000

My flight from Hatay arrived at Istanbul’s new airport, intended as a replacement for Istanbul’s Ataturk airport which will eventually be demolished. The new airport, although not yet fully built, is absolutely stunning and more spacious than even Heathrow’s new Terminal 5. After snatching a few hours sleep in the domestic transit area, I boarded the 07.00 am flight to Izmir. The match I was attending this day was at the Aziz Kocaoglu Stadyumu, although this is more commonly referred to simply as the ‘Bornova Stadyumu’ after the district of Izmir in which it is located. This stadium was built only a few years ago and has been used by Goztepe while their new stadium was under construction. Other local clubs have used it as well, but now that Goztepe have now moved into their new home, Altinordu (whose name translates as ‘Golden Army’) are currently the biggest club using it. They do have their own training ground with a small elevated stand elsewhere in the city and might conceivably play first team games there if they are relegated.

I left my luggage in a locker at the airport before catching a train into the city centre and changed trains there for the metro, alighting at Ege Universitesi station. This is the nearest metro station to the Bornova stadium, being around 45-50 minutes walk away although there are buses available from elsewhere. Arriving ridiculously early, I found the Passolig ticket office outside the stadium and bought a ‘virtual’ ticket for the game, which at 100 TL was the most I have ever paid below the Turkish top flight. With a few hours still to go until the kick-off, I walked some distance back in the direction of the metro station and had a look around an indoor shopping centre located about halfway between the two. The stadium is in the middle of an industrial estate and there is absolutely nothing of interest in the vicinity. The stadium, as already mentioned, is quite new with covered cantilevered stands on three sides. A main stand stretches for the full length of the south side, while another stand of similar design does not quite stretch for the length of the north side. In the remaining space on that side is a huge banner featuring a portrait of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk. This may be a political gesture by the local council who presumably funded the new stadium and want to make it clear that they want nothing to do with Erdogan (Izmir is the most anti-Erdogan city in Turkey and voters there tend to support the ‘Kemalist’ parties.) Behind the west goal is a temporary uncovered seated stand which was the only part of the stadium not in use for this match. Behind the east goal is another seated stand, but a permanent covered one which was occupied by visiting fans. Although Erzurumspor were second in the table, I was surprised by the number of fans they had brought with them, perhaps 300 or so which is no mean feat considering that Erzurum is nearly a thousand miles away to the east. Of course, it is possible that some of those fans are exiles living in the Izmir region. Altinordu, in contrast, appear to be poorly supported and only a handful of their fans were wearing scarves, unlike the visiting fans who were all wearing their team’s blue and white scarves. The stadium’s total capacity is probably somewhere in the region of 8,000 and I would imagine that the only time it has ever been filled anywhere near capacity would have been when Goztepe were playing their home games there.

For my 100 TL, I had a very comfortable seat in the main stand, padded with armrests. However, it was not as centrally located as I would have liked, as the VIP area was a little wider than it is at most other Turkish stadiums. The main benefit of paying 100 TL was that the standard TFF teamsheet was available to spectators in this area, unlike most grounds where the teamsheets are restricted to the VIP area (I did manage to get teamsheets at the other two games, but only by asking people in the VIP area to pass a copy to me) The game ended in a surprise victory for the home side, given that they were struggling near the bottom of the table. After the game had ended, I walked back to the metro station and got back to Izmir airport in good time for the 21.50 flight to Ankara, after having a vegan meal in the airport’s excellent self-service restaurant.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks