Wednesday 23rd June 2021

Dave 56

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Leatherhead
Burton & District Division 3. KO 18:15. Crowd 10.

TS Sports 0 v 7 T L Darby

The Maurice Lea Memorial Park is a very agreeable location to watch football. Well planted and laid out, the trees and shrubs provided a pleasant backdrop.

Match was 12th against 4th and pretty much went as expected. Three first half goals, the last in the 5th minute of stoppage time, finished the game as a contest. Goals at regular intervals in the second half, the last of which raised the biggest cher as 14 finally got on the scoresheet. Could have had eight or nine before finally converting one.

Nice evening and good to chat with Simon from Long Eaton who has been dipping his toe in this league for the last few weeks. Season ends on Sunday.

LeedsPhil

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Leeds + groundhopping
Littletown 4-3 Ryburn United
Yorkshire Amateur League, Supreme Division

at Beck Lane, 'eckmondwike

f&n
h/c 54

About time I did this famous ground, only 6 miles from where I lived for 18 years.
Back at my folks' place for a couple of weeks' visit, it had to be done.
Famous for being where a 16 year old Denis Law drew a crowd of 5,000 for Huddersfield Town's 1957 FA Youth Cup semi-final, his performance causing him to be signed by Matt Busby.
But it's not that which a plaque commemorates. Rather that this was the ground where a record all-scored penalty shoot-out took place - it was 17-17 when bad light stopped play in January 2002 and the shoot-out was halted. The full match was replayed.

The best ground in this league.
Beware satnav taking you to the wrong side of a one-way narrow railway bridge. You could leave the car there as some after me did, and walk through to the proper gated entrance. There was nobody else parked there when I was caught out and this isn't the best of areas, so I detoured round and parked inside the ground. The remaining space forced me to leave my car right behind the goal. Hmmm. Thankfully the forwards' shooting was all on target this evening, so my windscreen was safe.

The chairman was telling us that a wall got pushed over by kids breaking in to set fires. And during the match there was a strong smell of burning rubber - had a hopper's car parked outside been torched? I hope not. There were several here tonight.
Good conversation had at a match again.

Fully railed, with covered standing on the right side and raised grass banking on the left side. A club official stands on that side, with a fishing net on a pole for ball retrieval - behind that side is the River Spen, although only narrow, i.e. a beck.
Doing the circuit would be easier with a machete, since it's a bit wild in the far corner, but the determination of several of us to do so forged a path that others may follow - they're Home again this Saturday.

The ground dates back to the 1880s when it was home to Heckmondwike Rugby Club, who switched to the round ball game in 1903, including competing in the FA Cup until the War.
Huddersfield Town owned the ground from 1933, then it was falling into disrepair until Littletown took it over.

Littletown's normal colours are claret & blue, as per corner flags. But they originally played in white & black, and with this being their 50th Anniversary season, they're back playing in that kit just for this term.

On the pitch, the lower-placed visitor's 11 opened the scoring on 21, only to see his effort pegged back four minutes later. But three after that he gave Ryburn the lead again and so it remained until the hour when Littletown again equalized. A pen on 72 would have given the hosts the lead for the first time, but it was saved. No matter - six minutes later they did go in front for the first time. And doubled their lead four minutes after that. A stoppage time Ryburn goal made the final score look close, but it was only a consolation.
Littletown move up to 4th, but the league had already been won.

Well worth a visit - make the effort if you're doing nothing this Saturday. A good ground for this level, and friendly folk too. The chairman rustled up some cuppas for those who had a longer journey home than me.

Comedy moment :
The short drive there took me through Batley where there'll be a bye-election in a week's time. Self-publicist George Galloway is amongst the candidates. One of his campaign posters that I passed declared "I won't stay longer than I'm welcome." He'd best leave NOW, then!

prorege

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Friendly
Lochgelly Albert v Tayport, 1-6, H.T. 0-4, Att c.60
At Purvis Park, Lochgally

“The best laid plans of mice and men gang aft agley”. I was just finishing off my tea of haggis, neeps and tatties, looking forward to Crossgates Primrose v Arbroath, when I got a text to say the game was off due to unforeseen circumstances. Presumably the circumstances were Covid related.

Fortunately it’s wall to wall football across Scotland these days and there were plenty of other games to pick from – I opted for a wee trip up the A92 to Gardiners Park, Lochgelly. Except, it is not Gardiner’s Park any more. The club have renamed the ground Purvis Park in hono0ur of long-term supporter and sponsor John Purvis – apparently it isn’t a sponsorship renaming but a permanent one.

The ground was looking as good as I’ve seen it for years. It’s another temple of faded grandeur that any groundhopper should visit. The massive bankings comfortably held 12,000 for a Junior Cup tie against Bo’ness in the late 1940s – this is a football ground on an awesome scale. The only improvement since those days is a small covered enclosure on the north side. It was supposedly out of bounds. With a threat of rain we opted to stand on the opposite side under the trees that divide the park from farmer’s fields.

The Albert have struggled badly in recent times. On the evidence of this performance I don’t think 2021/2 will be their year to rise to the top. Tayport have also plummeted from the times 2o years ago when they were the top Junior side in Scotland – however, they could be in line for better things.

Albert play in the East of Scotland |League Conferences (tier 7). Tayport, by staying with Tayside clubs despite being in Fife will join the “Pyramid” at tier 6 in the Midland League. If they had stuck to the geography then they would have come in at tier 8.

From the kick off it was clear who would win. Tayport tore up the field and caused big problems for a rather pedestrian looking Albert defence. The shock was that they survived with their goal intact for more than 20 minutes. However, by half time it was 4-0 with some fine finishes from the visiting team. Two more goals followed just after 9. Tayport’s number 9, Robertson, was running riot so a contract was placed on him and he had to hobble off after a dreadful tackle with 4 goals to his name. The only further scoring was a late consolation goal for Albert from the penalty spot.

New Name, Old Ground

7.JPG

Isn't that a Dynamo Dresden 1988 kit?
1.JPG

The slopes of Lochgelly's Happyland
6.JPG
It might not look like it but this free kick is going in

3.JPG

Cowden Andy

Reserve Team Sub
Also at this after missing out on Crossgates.

Easy to spot the Rangers fans house backing onto the ground with the Union Flag flying.

Looking at the Albert side last night I think they would struggle against their amateur neighbours United.

Also apart from a few bairns there wasn’t any spectators there under 40, not a good sign.

prorege

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Also at this after missing out on Crossgates.
Easy to spot the Rangers fans house backing onto the ground with the Union Flag flying.
Butchers Apron Alert!

8.JPG

dtr1989

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Bury FC
Manchester Saturday Morning Football League Division 2

Beechfield United Aces 5-1 Manchester Rovers
Attendance - 9

Venue: Salford Sports Village - A large complex in Kersal, Salford with multiple facilities including a 4g pitch with dugouts and unusually railed hard standing around all 4 sides. The game tonight was on the grass pitches formerly known as Littleton Road Playing Fields. There is a steep grass banking around 2 sides of the playing fields which gave a good view of the game tonight.

Game: Not much quality, a couple of decent players, especially for Beechfield. The better team overall were Beechfield and fully deserved their win. It was the final game of the season for both sides. Beechfield have a locally famous youth side who have a reputation for passing players on to clubs much higher up the chain including recently capped Icelandic youngster Isak Bergmann Johannesson. The adult sides aren't as famous with the 1sts being rooted to the bottom of the Manchester League Premier Division and an 'A' team playing in the Manchester League Division 4. They have 2 x Saturday morning league teams, 1 in Division 1 and the other which was tonights team, in Division 2. There are also ladies teams. Manchester Rovers also have a few teams - todays Saturday morning team, 2 x Sunday teams (1 in the Cheshire & Manchester Sunday League and 1 in the East Cheshire Sunday League) and a womens team in the Cheshire League.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock