Wednesday 21st October 2020

hantslondoner

Reserve Team Hopeful
Hampshire Premier League

Locks Heath 3 Clanfield 0

admission/programme none (whiteboard used) attendance est 75

5th v 13th/16
Three good goals, two of them in the first five mins, settled this match, and continued the improving home team's good run, seven unbeaten now. This win pushes them up to third, although other teams have games in hand.
As said, two very early goals, the first in Locks' very first attack, a lovely curling shot by Whiteley from outside the area finding the top corner. Four mins later the ball was played again into Whiteley. who this time showed good feet to fashion himself a shooting chance, and an accurate shot found the corner. After that things calmed down, and the visitors worked hard to get their way back into the game, despite having to make an early substitution, passing the ball well at times. Morais had a half chance as the ball fell to him with the keeper off his line, but his attempted chip was over the bar. He also had a (disputed) free-kick saved by Schneider. At the other end, Cuthbert had a shot saved by Wright. Near to the break, Morais had a header from a free-kick saved, but it was a half of few chances after the goals, HT 2-0.
The visitors started the second period well, and Hughes had a shot saved. But Locks grew stronger and became more dominant. One dangerous corner was cleared off the line, another one saw centre-half Kent fire over from six yards out. Dugan then produced a brilliant run from his own half, beating several defenders on the way, but unfortunately he sliced his shot wide at the end. But we did see another good goal on 70 mins, sub Sales curling one into the net from 25 yards. His introduction certainly added something to the home attack. Sales then caught a great cross from the left perfectly with his instep and Wright made a very good save, then another good move set up sub Bull for an effort, which went over. Wright also came out well near the end to deny Whiteley his hat-trick, as Locks finished comfortable winners.
A regular at Locks Heath Rec; a surprisingly big crowd tonight, despite the rain, the pitch played well.

Last edited:

pokal02

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Barnet, Cockfosters
Handsworth 5-1 Bottesford T
NCEL Prem
Adm £5 Att 167.

3G with hard standing throughout and two seated stands and small covered area along one side. All facilities (bar/tea hut/loo) are in a building at least 5 mins walk away but there is access during the game.

Handsworth scored in the 2nd minute from close range, having already missed a 1v1. Bottesford came into the game later in the half and equalised on 47 from close range, but were 2-1 down on 49 when a shot trickled into the keeper's left corner. A long range strike made it 3-1 on 59 and a pen 4-1 on 67. A fifth was added from wide on the right on 86.

Unusually, a trouble-free M1 & indoors at 00:05. Plenty of rain on both legs of journey but dry during the game.

Tales From The Riverbank3

Junior Team Regular
....After a very wet day it was a case of keeping 10% of an eye on what had succumbed to Warthogs whilst attempting to deal with the travails of the w*rking day. Left heading in the direction of Kingstonian v Potters Bar, but enroute changed track in the direction of Bayliss Avenue SE28 with the thought of better transport connections and the hope of a rousing North West Kent SCEFL derby. Thoughts partially realised....

Welling Town 1 v 2 Erith Town - SCEFL Premier Division
Prog 24 pages £2.00 (by far the best presented in terms of design seen this season - Admission £7.00 - Att. 65 (looked more but of course you have to factor in that have not paid admission) - NHS QR App on entry, but Bayliss Avenue being run by a public body means that the bar was shut and there was no food or polystyrene cups o' rosie available.

....A contest where the memories are receding quickly into the ether of the mind. The hosts started the season giving the impression that they would challenge the Chatham's, Corinthian's and Sheppey's of the SCEFL world but after 4 wins and a draw, they have run up 4 straight defeats. There was little evidence here to show that this run will be reversed as one of the few talking points was why the margin of victory for the visitors was not greater. Hosts cause was not helped by a raft of late bookings and an inevitable sin binning that from this angle was long overdue.

A first half that was not one for the 20-21 SCEFL box set. Plenty of initial effort but little else. As the first half minutes ticked away, the visitors started to gain the ascendancy with Steadman Callender proving to be the principal threat, though he should have hit the target on at least two occasions angling one wide and then sending a much more straightforward close range opportunity into the car park. Also assisting the visitors growing dominance was the huge wind assisted kicks from Nick Taylor in the Erith Town goal but the visitors were failing to capitalise and the first half ended with a goalless outcome which reflected the character of the contest.

Difficult to see at half time if either net would bulge during the second period, the mystery of the opening minutes after the break were that we had three goals in quick succession. Erith Town took the lead with a pass forward from Josh Jackson that would have been totally out of place in the first half and Fred Osaba tucked his shot wide of Jack Moore. Swift response from the hosts with Sam Bailey laying inside and Jacob Kalonda placed his shot perfectly just inside the far post leaving an almost certainly unsighted Taylor static. It was then a matter of minutes before Erith Town retook the lead with Taylor McDonagh's deft header down being forced over the line by an untidy but effective finish by Michael Power.

The temporary excitement was not maintained and the rest of the contest reverted to first half type. The visitors were the more effective, clearly the case as the lack of confidence in much of Welling Town's play was plain to see, but both Osaba and Callendar sent half chances high out of the ground, plus they were both being caught offside. Overall against a home team bereft of collective self belief, the visitors were worthy winners.

With a later than anticipated start due to repairs having to be made to one of the nets, plus numerous delays during the course, it was like being transported back to the pre Covid era with a nearly 21.45 finish. As previously stated Bayliss Avenue is well served public transport and one aspect of the heightened state of anxiety is the decreasing number of people on London's transport system who are failing to wear some form of face covering, it does give the impression that we are living through surreal but dangerous times and the mind keeps wandering back to dystopian novels of the 'Truly a Work of Fiction' type that were read many decades ago. Thankfully in the non fiction world, c2c are continuing to run a four times an hour late evening service to Grays with 8 coaches where social distancing is never an issue. Indoors at the regulation 23.25...

Football Shorts

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
neutral
nwcfl pd
WINSFORD UNITED 1-1 WARRINGTON RYLANDS
att - 158
ground# - 79 - 10th visit

game of two halves, hosts dominated the first, visitors the second. two decent teams who could be in the running at the end of the season.
winsford missed two glorious chances before one of their forwards scored with a nice flick past the keeper. second half rylands came out and had a go, getting back in it with a miss-hit shot that fooled the keeper and bobbled over the line. just! they then missed and absolute sitter to win it. probably a fair outcome overall

memory of the match - nothing to do with the match, on my previous visits here i have always been impressed by the food and in particular the pies sold. must have changed supplier, not bad, just very disappointing when you are expecting something special. great welcome as always at this place.

BA21

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Yeovil Town
Slimbridge 4 Melksham Town 2
Southern League Division One South
Admission £8.00
Programme - online only
Attendance 126

This was the first time I had come across Slimbridge home or away. All doubts about travelling due to the weather were dispelled by the clubs excellent Twitter and Facebook accounts that provided a great service throughout the day. Regular checks on the M5 from work proved needless as the trip from Bridgwater took under an hour and was as smooth as it could have been. Parking at the ground was free and I parked up in good time before heading for the tea bar along with a fair few who had travelled from Melksham.

Thornhill Park in nearby Cambridge has everything in place to allow 'The Swans' to play at this level although let's not pretend these grounds are Rockingham Road, Brooklands or The Eyrie. A seated Atcost stand straddles the halfway line with a nice section of covered standing (pictured) at the car park end where the clubhouse and tea bar are. There is hard standing all around the pitch which was in excellent condition.

Attachments

spireite1866

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Chesterfield
Handsworth 5-1 Bottesford T
NCEL Prem
Adm £5 Att 167.

3G with hard standing throughout and two seated stands and small covered area along one side. All facilities (bar/tea hut/loo) are in a building at least 5 mins walk away but there is access during the game.

Handsworth scored in the 2nd minute from close range, having already missed a 1v1. Bottesford came into the game later in the half and equalised on 47 from close range, but were 2-1 down on 49 when a shot trickled into the keeper's left corner. A long range strike made it 3-1 on 59 and a pen 4-1 on 67. A fifth was added from wide on the right on 86.

Unusually, a trouble-free M1 & indoors at 00:05. Plenty of rain on both legs of journey but dry during the game.
Also here so very little to add. Shout out to the Pie, Peas and Hendos sauce for £2.70. Even though I'd had tea I couldn't say no to that.

Quite enjoyed my trip so will try and revisit definitely. I was home for 10:05 though so slightly shorter journey than you!

Steveb

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
8pm
Lancashire League
Clitheroe Wolves U21 2 Fulwood Amateur U21 5 (att 43 h/c)
Free admission, no progs

The Lancashire League has a long history but looked to be on its last legs as the number of competing sides dwindled. It's now been reborn (not for the first time) as an under 21 league.

Clitheroe Wolves don't have an open age team, so in effect the under 21s are the nearest they have to a first eleven. They're based on a newish 3G at Roefield Leisure Centre, on the edge of Clitheroe. It's on the opposite side of Edisford Road from a grass pitch where I'd previously seen Clitheroe RBL in the East Lancashire League.

Typical 3G set up, although a bonus is a wide spectator area that runs the full length of one side. Lively game on a damp night, with Fulwood's youngsters running out comfortable winners.

So ... should I have travelled from tier two (until Friday) Manchester to tier three Lancashire to watch the game? Grassroots Lancashire clubs have been told not to encourage spectators, but neither club encouraged me, I just turned up (as did 42 others). The Government advises against travel into or out of a tier three area, but it's just advice, not the law, and if I followed every piece of Government advice I'd consume fewer units of alcohol and my diet would contain more fruit and veg.

Different words and some photos of a 3G cage are on my blog.

Andy D

Youth Team Regular
nwcfl pd
WINSFORD UNITED 1-1 WARRINGTON RYLANDS

memory of the match - nothing to do with the match, on my previous visits here i have always been impressed by the food and in particular the pies sold. must have changed supplier, not bad, just very disappointing when you are expecting something special. great welcome as always at this place.
If you have been for an 1874 Northwich game previously, they use a local supplier in Northwich called Birtwistles, whose pies are always excellent. Fairly sure Winsford have their own supplier.

noprogs

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
nonaligned
Yorkshire Amateur 3 Thackley 1
Northern Counties East
Admission £3, programme £1

A while since I've been to Bracken Edge, and it has been tidied up quite a bit, coinciding
with the team being at the top of this league, having long been one of its' poorer relations.
Not much change in the low - less than 100 - attendance though.
Thackley led after about 10 minutes but conceded twice in quick succession late in the half. Their goalie made a string of good saves, as he continued to do in the second period. Ammers added another to reflect their superiority in the last 5

pilgrim46

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Plymouth Argyle, any non league team in Devon & Cornwall
South West Peninsula League Premier Division East
Ivybridge Town 3-0 Cullompton Rangers (0-0 H/T)
Adm £5 - Att 80-100 (hc) - Coffee £1

Another enjoyable evening at Erme Valley for this one. Despite no goals in the first half Ivybridge hit the woodwork twice & Cullompton once. The home side took the lead 5 minutes into the 2nd half with a penalty & 5 minutes later doubled their advantage. Only a couple of minutes later Ivybridge were reduced to 10 men after a rash challenge but Cullompton never made use of the extra man. The win was secured 20 minutes from time when Ivybridge got their 3rd & comfortably saw out the game. Watched the game in the excellent company of Hoofhearted of this parish.

bluearmybob

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Ipswich Town since April 11th 1966.
Groundhopping since 1st January 1983.
A drive to Thornhill Park. KO 19.30 pm.

Southern League Division 1 South.

SLIMBRIDGE AFC 4 (2) v (1) MELKSHAM TOWN 2.

Scorers.

Home. J White (10) W Hawes (45) E Mbunga (49) J Martin (90+3)

Away. F Barcelos ( 16 & 50)

Admission £8. Programme on line. Pin Badge £4. Attendance 126.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks