Wednesday 21st July 2021

FatCat

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Witham Town, Rochdale and West Ham United.
White Notley 2-3 Chelmsford City Reserves (HT: 0-3)
Friendly

Both sides Essex & Suffolk Border League Premier Division (step 7)
Kick Off: 18.29
Admission: Free
Programme: n/a
Att: 48 h/c

A youthful Chelmsford side turned up at Oak Park this evening but were three goals to the good at half time against their more senior opponents, scoring in the 11th 19th & 37th minutes.
Both sides made several changes at the break and Notley gave a better account of themselves netting on 64 & 70 mins.

Digdagdog

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Lancashire CCC, Wigan Warriors
Pre Season Friendly
Gassons Lane - new tick
Somerton Town 2(2) Castle Cary 2(1)
F&N Attendance: 17 at peak

Only a 35 mile hop down the A361 beyond Shepton to the lovely little town of Somerton and the sports hub in the town. Small football clubhouse (inc snooker club) with gazebo'd terrace and a fully railed pitch, hedged on 3 sides. It all looked glorious in the sun. Step 8 hosts versus Step 9 visitors (both Somerset County).
A really good game, where the hosts started strongly and looked like they were going to run away with it. They led with a great drive into the roof of the net and were pegged back from a back-post tap-in. They led again with a near post chip over a diving keeper but were pegged back again 2nd half with a sweet volley. The home keeper had to make two very good saves to keep them in it as CC finished the stronger; although a last-minute clearance off the line could have told otherwise.
A great evening and home in 60 via Shepton and Frome

Last edited:

Bigaitch

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
None in particular
May & Baker EC 2 Ipswich Town U18 2
PSF Att; 85 (H/c)
Admission £3 No paperwork, although home team displayed on window of the bar

This was a thoroughly enjoyable game with the two contrasting styles making for a fascinating evening. May & Baker, a strong step 6 team against a very young Ipswich side who played some lovely football but lacked a cutting edge in the box.
We got off to a fast start with M&B leading after a minute with a towering header following a long throw in from the left but Ipswich equalised on 15 with a low penalty following a foul. I felt the hosts shaded the first half but couldn’t add to their tally but the second half was a different story. Ipswich dominated but always wanted to take a touch too many or found their finishing was awry and were also met with some excellent defending. That’s not to say May & Baker didn’t threaten, as they did and it took a superb save from the Ipswich sub keeper to keep the scores level not long after he had come on. Ipswich eventually took the lead on 82 with a close range header the home keeper saved but could not hold onto, and as a visiting forward was about to tuck home the ball spun in anyway off the Aveley 3G turf. However about a minute from time the hosts levelled following a good run and shot, the keeper saved but the rebound was driven into the roof of the net.
It was a shame there were few people to watch the game as it was enjoyable but I guess a former works team from Dagenham playing a few miles away in Aveley without great transport links could be an issue. May & Baker deserve credit though, as they have an excellent youth system and their officials seem a friendly bunch.

philglossop

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Saltash United
PSF Wadebridge Town 4 Foxhole Stars 0. Bodieve Park.
SWPL W v East Cornwall Premier (2 step difference)

Headcount around 35

Wadebridge surprised a few teams last season and gave Saltash a hell of game last October. On tonight's showing make no mistake they'll be up there again. Foxhole clearly were not as fit or have the turn of speed but I like the terrier approach of Wadebridge, run, defend and hassle. It worked well for them tonight. The two forwards were excellent although the number 9 had a bit of a mare with some open goal misses.

Foxhole played their part and played some good stuff especially towards the end of the match and I think they'll hold their own in their league on this showing.

I'll finally say and stick my neck out- but Wadebridge could well be top 6 on their play alone and they were much better than the Liskeard side I saw last night.

Bit of a mare coming back, due to tractors (haymaking) and a serious incident in Bodmin Town centre. Apparently police helicopter landed on Bodmin Towns ground of Priory Park and the whole area was sealed off. Found a back way which brought me out by Morrisons and on the road to A38.

The Forester

Junior Team Sub
HANDSWORTH 1 WORSBOROUGH BRIDGE ATHLETIC 1
OLIVER'S MOUNT
ADMISSION £5 (OUCH)
ATT: 123

While I used to go to Oliver's Mount fairly regularly nine or ten years ago, I haven't been since then and things have changed significantly in the meantime. What was the main pitch is now unrecognisable with the only remaining thing from those days (from memory) being one of the two stands.

A new stand has been added along with a section of modular checker plate terracing. The pitch has been replaced with a plastic one with both 1.2m high pitch perimeter fencing and and high stadium perimeter fencing. The thing which got them kicked out of the NCEL years ago and led to the merger with Parramore and the move to Sandy Lane was the long walk to the dressing rooms. This has now been addressed with a new changing room/office building behind one of the goals. The only drawback is that according to the signage, spectator facilities (refreshments and toilets) are still in the original clubhouse which is a bit of a trek from the pitch, especially when the referee only allows a nine or ten minute half time break.

The game itself was a nip and tuck affair and NCEL Division 1 Athletic can be much happier with the result than can Premier Division Handsworth. Opportunities were limited to a couple of off target shots for Worsborough while Handsworth tended to rely on crosses which were nearly always too close to the keeper.

Nevertheless, Handsworth took the lead when James Oliver latched onto a pass and chipped the ball over the advancing keeper a couple of minutes before the interval. The lead only lasted until two minutes into the second half when a not too powerful low shot from captain Luke Francis beat the keeper for the equaliser.

Both sides got forward an any number of occasions but the nearest either came to a goal was when Handsworth managed to hit the foot of a post about four minutes before the end.

I thought the admission for a friendly match was a bit steep at a fiver, Dronfield Town who play in the division below Handsworth was free admission last night with spectators asked to buy a raffle ticket for a quid or three tickets for two quid which is what I elected to do. Staveley Miners Welfare who play in the same division as Handsworth charged £2 admission on Friday last week.

Mark

Junior Team Star
Castell Alun Colts 3-9 Lex XI
North East Wales League Premier Div
Attendance: 35
F&n

A ding dong battle ensued in the opening half as the Colts thrice levelled before going behind for a fourth time just before the interval, and then taking a bit of a beating in the second period. Lex had a tall, strong striker who posed particular problems for the home defence.

The Hope Sports Centre venue at the local high school is nothing out of the ordinary, just a pitch in a sports field. It’s fully railed with white-painted metal railings, there’s hard standing on the near side and grass banking behind one goal. No dugouts though and no refreshments either, and I guess in normal times the changing rooms would be in the sports centre. Two car parks were in use, accessed from Fagl Lane and Stryt Isa.

prorege

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Midlands League
Dundee St James v Coupar Angus, 6-0, H.T. 2-0, Att c.100, Admission £6, Paper questionable, Pie and Irn Bru £2.50
At Midmill (Fairfield) Park, Dundee

Headed to Dundee with two games in mind. One was at Lochee Harp – I’ve never ben to their new “ground”. The other was the first home game for new boys Dundee St James, playing at Fairfield Park (or Midmill Park as it used to be), where I’d previously seen Dundee St Josephs and Women’s football.

The St James game looked like a more attractive proposition all round. The ground was always known as Midmill Park until it was renamed Fairfield Park in honour of ling-serving St Josephs Secretary Charlie Fairfield. Confusingly, the adjoining playing fields at Drumgeith, should more correctly be called the Fairfield Pavilion. Mr Fairfield was also a local councillor and the pavilion there was named after him. Very confusing and much simpler to forget Charlie Fairfield and just refer to Midmill and Drumgeith. It looks like it will get even more confusing soon as a brand new Astro pitch is under construction next to the narrow lane running down from the main road to St James’ ground. Who knows what that will be called? And who knows if St James might adopt it as their home ground?

Locating the ground for the first time will not be easy for anyone. The address is Happyhillock Road but you could drive back and forward along there for hours without finding it. Look for the wee shopping precinct with a Subway / Indian / Chippy and directly across the road is a narrow lane leading downhill. Head down there and as it turns to the right you will fins the ground and a small car park.

The park is fully enclosed and the pitch is railed on all four sides. The pavilion is behind the near goal and includes an excellent pie shop. The steep banking on the south side is now heavily overgrown and not really suitable for spectating.

Watching the teams warm up I suspected we would get a good game of the “two poor sides” sort. St James had lost 0-10 to title favourites Broughty at the weekend. Coupar Angus had gone down 2-3 to newcomers Letham. Coupar looked like a very young team whilst St James had plenty old stagers. They used to be Fintry of the Sunday leagues, one of the most feared sides in Scotland, but effectively took over St James Amateurs a couple of years ago.

I wondered if the referee, Miss Abbi Hendry, would be up to the task. Sending her into deepest schemie Dundee without linesmen was harsh but she coped magnificently. That included a tremendous salvo of a yellow followed by two reds to a Coupar Angus player for a single incident midway through the second half.

St James were far too good for Coupar Angus. 2-0 at half time and 6-0 by the end – Coupar had given up by that stage and had the game lasted another fifteen minutes I have no doubt we would have seen double figures. Some of the goals were excellent – the best a sublime lob by the St James number 5.

Very good pies and sausage rolls were available from the servery in the pavilion. Leeds Phil failed to notice this on his arrival but on being made aware, just after half time, he scurried off to sample the fare. Upon his return he bore not only pastry goodies but a programme. Or not as the case may be. He had seen some bloke with what looked like a programme as he headed to the pie place. he asked a committee person if they had programmes only to be told that they didn’t do one. He then asked the chap with a programme where he had got it. The answer was that it was a “pirate” done by himself. Phil purloined one. It didn’t look like a pirate issue with adverts for club advertising boards etc in it. Very odd, but not something to worry me.

Unfortunately my camera died after five minutes so not many decent pics.

St James in the Hoops, Coupar in lilac and the Lady in Red

1.JPG

2.JPG

Last edited:

Dribble!

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Ipswich Town
May & Baker EC 2 Ipswich Town U18 2
PSF Att; 85 (H/c)
Admission £3 No paperwork, although home team displayed on window of the bar

This was a thoroughly enjoyable game with the two contrasting styles making for a fascinating evening. May & Baker, a strong step 6 team against a very young Ipswich side who played some lovely football but lacked a cutting edge in the box.
We got off to a fast start with M&B leading after a minute with a towering header following a long throw in from the left but Ipswich equalised on 15 with a low penalty following a foul. I felt the hosts shaded the first half but couldn’t add to their tally but the second half was a different story. Ipswich dominated but always wanted to take a touch too many or found their finishing was awry and were also met with some excellent defending. That’s not to say May & Baker didn’t threaten, as they did and it took a superb save from the Ipswich sub keeper to keep the scores level not long after he had come on. Ipswich eventually took the lead on 82 with a close range header the home keeper saved but could not hold onto, and as a visiting forward was about to tuck home the ball spun in anyway off the Aveley 3G turf. However about a minute from time the hosts levelled following a good run and shot, the keeper saved but the rebound was driven into the roof of the net.
It was a shame there were few people to watch the game as it was enjoyable but I guess a former works team from Dagenham playing a few miles away in Aveley without great transport links could be an issue. May & Baker deserve credit though, as they have an excellent youth system and their officials seem a friendly bunch.
Also at the game, good write up - pleasing display for Ipswich as most of the players were 1st year scholars so majority only 16 or 17 - thought they stood up well against an adult team, made easier as May & Baker like to play football, it was not that long ago a PSF between an Academy team and a non-league team would have seen at least one younger player kicked up in the air at every opportunity. Good news is that attitude is changing and hope May & Baker get the support they deserve.

The Moose

Youth Team Hopeful
PSF: YORK CITY 1 SUNDERLAND 1

TKT: £12. PROG: £2.50. ATT: 2,000 (sell out)

Part two of my mini Northern jaunt, was to do the new LNER stadium on the way back from doing South Shields last night. As expected, I preferred the ground in the North East, but each & every etc. For now tiz shiny & sexy, with around an 8,000 capacity when fully open. For such a new stadium, I was surprised at the amount of dust & cobwebs around on the multi coloured seats.

I parked around ten minutes away, on the Priory Wood Way estate. Nought closer possible, unless you want to pay £5 in the club car park. You can also take your chances in the adjoining retail therapy park, but I expect there’s time limits there. I think I read, they’ll be charging £20 for a seat for NLN matches! Seems extortionate for step two of non-league, but York are clearly setting up for being back in the ‘billy big biscuits’ league soonest.

Usual plethora of changes throughout, which made the match disjointed, but that’s what happens in PSFs. The Mackems played some neat quick pass & move footy, although to be fair York also had their moments. A saved pen near the end, meant honours were even.

Not sure how successful print at home tickets are, as not for the first time mine refused to work in any of the manless turnstiles. Much consternation from the Hull stewards (don’t York have any?), before after several minutes of faffing, I was let in through their gate. Needless to say, the ticket office were incapable of printing another one, but hey ho!

Successful mini trip completed & the two most Northern English grounds done on my radar. Not home till nearly 02.00 hrs, I’d clearly forgotten what a joy it is, to endure motorway junction closures at night! There was a time you used to concern yourself with the weather re games off. These days you tend to be more concerned re the pingdemic being the reason. All was well thankfully, & dearly beloved was keeping me posted, bless her!

KRTM 😎

LeedsPhil

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Leeds + groundhopping
Midlands League
Dundee St James v Coupar Angus, 6-0, H.T. 2-0, Att c.100, Admission £6, Paper questionable, Pie and Irn Bru £2.50
At Midmill (Fairfield) Park, Dundee

Very good pies and sausage rolls were available from the servery in the pavilion. Leeds Phil failed to notice this on his arrival but on being made aware, just after half time, he scurried off to sample the fare. Upon his return he bore not only pastry goodies but a programme. Or not as the case may be. He had seen some bloke with what looked like a programme as he headed to the pie place. he asked a committee person if they had programmes only to be told that they didn’t do one. He then asked the chap with a programme where he had got it. The answer was that it was a “pirate” done by himself. Phil purloined one. It didn’t look like a pirate issue with adverts for club advertising boards etc in it. Very odd, but not something to worry me.
Shiver me timbers - 'ere be a pirate.
Complete with greasy finger mark, courtesy of the excellent steak peh (CowdenAndy's recommendation) and proper sausage roll (LochgellyJimmy's recommendation).

Attachments

• DundeeStJamesPirateProg_outer.pdf
    510.9 KB · Views: 22
  • DundeeStJamesPirateProg_innards.pdf
    633 KB · Views: 13

BA21

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Yeovil Town
Sherborne Town 3 Laverstock & Ford 3
Pre-season friendly
Admission - pay what you want
Refreshments - tea bar and bar open
Attendance 48 h/c

Western League met Wessex League at Raleigh Grove, a venue that has undergone a number of improvements during the break including the refurbishment of the dressing rooms, bar and a new covered shelter in front of the clubhouse. This was a nice local game for a change as the trip over the county border into Dorset takes little more than a quarter of an hour.

Laverstock & Ford led twice before Sherborne eventually took a 3-2 lead, the Salisbury based outfit grabbing a last gasp equaliser. On this evidence neither will struggle at step six based on the fact the visitors would probably have been promoted before football was stopped.

Reactions: Tim

willesden

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Scarborough Athletic, Hull City & Hendon
Harrow Borough 0 QPR XI 4
Friendly - Ticket: £12 - Programme: £2 - Attendance: c320

There's something I really like about Earlsmead. It's a tidy set up, Boro always seem a well organised and friendly club. £12 is a bit on the high side for a friendly but clubs need a lift after the last 18 months. Hopefully they'll be boosted by their link up with local youth side Ruislip Rangers both on and off the pitch to augment their loyal but aging fanbase.

220558123_327990825671764_3066943854594081421_n.jpg

There was a touching minutes applause for the late Spencer McCall and a cameo from Rangers' Albert Adomah, a lad who started his senior career at Harrow and has gone on to enjoy an excellent career. His attitude was superb as he came across as an absolute top fella, signing autographs and posing for photos with fans most of the evening. He even had a brief chat with me as he passed. A credit to his profession.

The R's fielded their u23's alongside Adomah, putting on an excellent professional display and scoring some fine goals as Sean Adarkwa netted a brace alongside efforts from Charley Kendall and Aaron Drewe. Boro kept going and were in it for the first half hour until the superior fitness and strength from the bench told.

The hosts brought on a centre back for the second half who they somehow fitted into his kit. He stood on the ball trying to play out from the back to concede the third and was a second late in nearly every challenge. I presume he was a trialist, or perhaps he won the half time draw?

222567628_4121931674591173_8341369996968783006_n.jpg

Just one moan. I mean there has to be at least one from a Yorkshireman. There's always space at Earlsmead, even in a relatively big crowd. I found a usual space along the side at the back of the covered steps maintaining distancing. Two lads in their early twenties rocked up after about twenty minutes and virtually stood on my feet. I suppose it took me back to being marked in Sunday League football, but not ideal. I had to move.

On to the JDW establishments in Rayners Lane and Kingsbury post match for a natter and fine ale. Now in football lockdown on late shift for a week or so.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock