Wednesday 21st April 2021

InvictaBuck

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
AFC Telford United, Gillingham, Folkestone Invicta, Witham Town, Woking, Fisher.
DESBOROUGH ISLAND
HERSHAM 2 Lightwater United 1

Easy to see why this venue is a notable one in non league circles. Plenty of character, being located on an island with only a waterworks for company.
Immaculate pitch and plenty of branding and signage with green and yellow fencing along one side.

Not the most convenient for public transport, I chose to walk back to Weybridge.

sheffgeoff

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Colchester United
Stocksbridge Park Steels
Borussia Dortmund
Cranborne 0-2 Stalbridge
Dorset Senior League Cup - at the Mick Loader Memorial Ground (att. c25)

Cranborne have spent several seasons in the Dorset Premier League, though without much success. They dropped to the Senior League in 2017 after failing to finish above 15th place in the previous eight seasons. But it does mean their ground is nicely set up for that standard - fixed railings on three sides of the pitch and a tiny little stand tucked away in the far corner of the field.

Their opponents, Stalbridge, came into this game with just one point from their four League Cup group matches to date, but they started the game much brighter than their hosts. Two goals in the first ten minutes set them on their way to victory - both times beating Cranborne's offside trap. To be honest, the rest of the game was fairly uneventful. It was competitive enough, played at a decent tempo, but lacking creativity - both sides relying heavily on the ball over the top.

Match photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ianmiddlebrook/albums/72157719005801372

View attachment 11966

Also at this one in Dorset excellently summarised by mids.

I saw the reverse fixture at Stalbridge earlier in the month when the two teams could not be separated. This tie was similar after the first ten minutes. Unfortunately by then Cranborne were trailing 0-2 after their keeper and defence were caught napping and Stalbridge scored With two tap ins.

A pleasant location to spend a couple of hours on a sunny but cold April evening.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks