Wednesday 21st April 2021

Sewnapart

Junior Team Regular
Brockworth Albion 3-0 Bibury
Mill lane, f/n
Gnsl cup, attendance 33 (HC)

A routine win for brockworth who led in the first minute through a howler from the visiting keeper in punching the ball into his teammate to leave a tap in. The main surprise was it took until 65 minutes to extend the lead, through some very wasteful finishing although Bibury themselves had a couple of chances, the main one being a one on one straight after the 2nd goal

Nice backdrop of Gloucestershire countryside albeit quite a cold evening for football, the ground is a short walk from the number 10 Cheltenham to Gloucester bus and consists of a railed pitch and not much else

Digdagdog

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Lancashire CCC, Wigan Warriors
Reg Davis Memorial Cup
Memorial Playing Fields
Charfield 1(0) Dursley Town 1(0)
F&N Attendance: 29

A nice setting in a small village straddling the old LMS Bristol-Brimingham main line and 6 miles NW of Chipping Sodbury. a village hall and a roped off and gently sloping pitch and the (almost) obligatory kiddies play area and cricket pitch. This was D2 (Step 9) hosts against D1 (Step 8) visitors and they produced a good competitive game.
Charfield had the better chances and the away 'keeper was the busier of the two. However at 90 we were still goalless when a free kick was awarded off to the left front of the box and the Charfield striker arrowed a shot just inside the post for the lead. My 0-0 was saved! However at 90+2, Dursley did exactly the same from a similar position to huge groans from the home support. A fair result methinks. Home in 55 via Sodbury.

hantslondoner

Reserve Team Starter
L4 Teamwear Hampshire Premier League Challenge Cup Group 6

Locks Heath 1 Fleetlands 0

admission/programme none (whiteboard used) attendance est 45

2nd v 5th in the abandoned season
I saw the League game between these two, my last before the second lockdown. That was a very close game, won by Fleetlands with a late penalty. Tonight was another very close game, this time won by Locks with a penalty.
In the first three mins the visitors had a chance when Andrews set up Robinson, whose shot was deflected wide, then at the other end Kent headed a free-kick over for Locks. The game then became a midfield battle and very little of note happened until about the half-hour mark when Archbold's cross-cum shot from the left was tipped over well by keeper Boggild, who is normally a forward, and in fact he played there on Saturday. He filled in between the sticks as regular keeper Hunt was working, and did an exemplary job, his handling in particular from crosses was excellent. He then saved a header from Robinson. Locks had a shot over from S.Stone when a free-kick was played to him on the edge of the area. Another ball through saw visiting keeper Shortt clear against his own player Easton, but the ball went just wide of the post. On 35 mins a good cross from Johnson on the left saw Whitely head just wide under pressure. Shortt then inexplicably sent the goal-kick straight to Whitely's feet, ten yards out. Whitely must have been surprised as we were as his attempt on goal was easily saved by the keeper. One more shot before the break, by the home team's Dugan, and it was HT 0-0, and looking like it might stay that way.
Fleetlands started the second half energetically, and a shot by Adams went over. Johnson then broke through for Locks but was foiled by a great last-ditch tackle by Easton. Adams then had another effort wide from a tight angle. On 63 mins Locks broke down the right and Chalcraft's cross was pawed away by Shortt. Locks got the ball again and were lining up for another shot on goal but a defender lunged at Johnson and conceded a penalty. Whitely converted to put Locks into the lead. The visitors came back with a cross-shot narrowly wide, but the home team defended well. However, they nearly conceded an equaliser with 10 mins to go as an error saw a cross from the right which Robinson headed over from close range. Robinson also nearly glanced in a free-kick but Boggild saved easily. Near the end Locks had a break and Shortt saved well from both Johnson and Chalcraft. A sin-bin for Johnson in the dying stages proved unimportant as Locks saw the game out.
This win puts Locks four points clear of Moneyfields Res with two games to play. They only need a point to finish in the top 2 and qualify for the last 16. Fleetlands still have a chance of qualifying if they win their last two.

Ciderjon

Junior Team Regular
Lakeside 1 Barnwood United 1

Reg Davis Memorial Cup, Group Phase
Attn h/c 27 f + n

Gloucestershire does seem remarkably popular these days! A veritable panoply of The Gentlemen of the Grounds gathered here at Lakeside's new home. No furniture as yet, the pitch is of open aspect. There is a good take off to the east, allowing a scenic view of the Cotswold escarpment.

All very socially distanced, all persons standing a good kebab-chuck apart. Least said about the game the better though not a good advert for this league, which really is a lot better than this.

Andy D

Youth Team Star
AFC Alsager 3 Leek CSOB 0, Staffordshire Senior League Premier Division, Att: 85, Admission: No,Prog: £2

Following a call off on Saturday when AFC Alsager was one of my options, a quick second chance tonight for a comfortable home win against Leek CSOB. Three goals in the first half settled this as a contest as the home side were quicker and stronger against the visitors who struggled on a hard, sandy surface while the second period was much scrappier as neither side looked like scoring as the evening got chillier. Alsager play on a railed pitch which is part of the Alsager Sports Hub. As well as the railed pitch, there are two other open pitches and two caged pitches which were fully occupied tonight by the usual kids training sessions. A decent turn out of locals along with a few familiar faces including the two Daves - Woodings and Cox - the former struggling a little with his ever more dodgy knees which unfortunately don't prevent the usual corny humour. A bonus tonight was an excellent programme available at all home games for £2, this issue originally produced for the cancelled Eastwood Hanley game from Saturday with a single sheet inserted with tonight's opponents and team line ups.

Pinewoodste

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Not Ipswich
Essex & Suffolk Border League Tommy Thompson Cup 1st Round
Ramsey & Mistley 10 (53 seconds, 4, 25, 38, 63, 69pen, 79, 84, 86 & 89, SB 77)
Oyster 0
KO: 18:15 Att: 19 h/c Cost: Free Saw no progs

Venue: Ramsey War Memorial Recreation Field, Wix Road, Ramsey

Match: 8/16 Div 3 (v) 14/16 Div 2 when season was stopped.

Weather: Chilly with a breeze. Sunny.

Report: Apparently OYS had an outfield player in goal & he conceded 2 early goals. It was comfortable for R&M with a 3rd goal & then they hit the post. OYS had a shot saved by the gk & a minute later R&M added a 4th goal. OYS then hit the post from a header. Shots 8-4.

H/t lasted over 7 mins. A penalty was converted by R&M for the 6th goal. They then had a free kick but before it was taken they had a player in the SinBin. A flurry of goals at the end included a 10th which I wasn’t expecting. OYS never gave up & hit the bar from a very close range header & also were denied by the gk. Shots 12-7.

Ben Allington scored 5 goals & Chris Stratton got 3. Clinical finishing by R&M but OYS never gave up & deserved a goal for their efforts. They now play away to Tiptree Heath reserves or Rowhedge in the 2nd Round.

One of the busiest people tonight was the guy retrieving balls using his fishing net from the river down one side of the pitch.

My 4th biggest home win ever & my 1st 10-0 although I have seen one 0-10.

My other visit here was in December 2012 when Harwich Rangers were the home team when I came with a mate & the attendance was 2.
Tonight I watched the game with Frinton Keith & mate from Colchester. Also watched part with Groundtastic Paul.

IAN S

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles & Kendal Town
Snydale Athletic 0 Beechwood Santos 2
Wakefield & District Premier
h/t 0-0
h/c 11
@ Haw Hill Park, Normanton

Both these clubs are at opposite ends of the table and it showed but only in the second half. Real grassroots stuff with plenty of wayward shots sailing over the bar.

Snydale normally play here in a public park, very open with loads of street parking, in fact you could watch it from your car parked on the street, such is the openess of the venue. The said hill is no more than a mound in the park that also has a kids playground and some long abandoned tennis courts.

Beware, some of Snydale's games are moved to Mill Lane in Streethouse about twenty minutes away from here.

buncranaboy

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Bostock Stanley, Barnstoneworth United
Reg Bosanquet Cup : FC Lakeside 1 Barnwood United 1. f&n; attendance 24 (hc)

As referenced by ciderjon, this wasn't great fare on the south-west extremities of Cheltenham. Two sides from the lower division of the GNSL huffed and puffed and, on chances missed, Barnwood should have had a come-from-behind win but honours even on another cool dry evening.
Lots of hot air on the touchline among some faces not seen for a long time and the evening made all the more enjoyable for it. This was only the third competitive game Lakeside have played at their new home and there's plenty of space to develop should they be so minded although some of the neighbouring housing developments look a little upmarket, so much so that you won't be able to view them on Streetview so perhaps lights etc would be tricky.
No amenities noticed in the immediate area , just lots of new housing, so maybe their clubhouse could become a focus for the community, assuming it does open to the public at some point.
Slightly longer journey home than getting there as there's no access to M5N from the A40 out of Cheltenham. You'd think that one of my passengers - karb and the Town Crier - would have noticed signage warning of diversions as the driver didn't spot anything, but no; they had one job..................:unsure:

mxhornet

Reserve Team Regular
Celt Rangers - 7 AC Mill Lane Reserves - 2
Offside Trust Return To Norfolk Football Minor Cup
Mill Lane pitch 2
Attendance - 20

A very local derby, with AC playing away on the pitch next door to their home venue. Early on I thought a repeat of Sunday's 19-0 might be on, with CR 3-0 up after 9 minutes before having a penalty saved two minutes later. AC improved following a reshuffle and held out until 25 minutes before conceding again and then got a goal back after 36 minutes. 4-1 at half time, no further goals until 68 minutes when CR made it 5-1, then after 77 and 87 minutes they increased the lead to 7-1 before AC made it 7-2 on 88 minutes.
Match was under way at 1826 (4 minutes early) and with no added time and a brief half time interval the final whistle was blown at 2000.

John Treleven

First Team Starter
Brocken (U13) Cup Semi-Final

St. Paul's 2, Wanderers 2 AET (2-2) 2-4p

They now meet St. Clement in final on Sunday 25th

HampshireLad

Junior Team Starter
Hampshire Premier League Supp Cup 6.15ko
Kingsclere 1 Winchester Castle 5
Div 1 v Prem tonight, I'm not sure about anyone else but I have struggled to find the tables for these supp Cups on full-time, not that it matters, football is back, but it does add more interest to the game.
Another relative newbie to the league it's a good addition, the Fieldgate centre has a very large changing room , village hall style hub for its cricket , football and rugby (that has floodlights) pitches. The football pitch feels semi enclosed with trees at both ends and the previously mentioned building along its side.
Half decent game Winch Castle scored 3 near identical goals in the first half from long throw one, Kingsclere could have made it 2-2 but missed a pen.
No alcohol since NYD for me but two pub visits tonight in Kingsclere for two car companions in the village The George and Horn has Young's and London Pride on and very quick outdoor service. The Crown doesn't open until 6pm in the evenings but also had the same two beers on.

hantslondoner

Reserve Team Starter
Hampshire Premier League Supp Cup 6.15ko
Kingsclere 1 Winchester Castle 5
Div 1 v Prem tonight, I'm not sure about anyone else but I have struggled to find the tables for these supp Cups on full-
Look under 'Hampshire Premier League Senior Cup' on the competition list top right. Yours was group 4.
Castle won their three-team group as a result of last night's win so get a home tie in the last 16, due to be played 8th May.

andy smith

Junior Team Starter
Kershaw 30 Year Senior Cup
Sawston Rovers 2
Cambridge University Press 2
F&N
Att' 30 ish

Rovers had the better of the first half with their first goal coming from a penalty in the 25th minute, a second goal came from after 31 minutes.... 2-0 half time.
C.U.P. were the better team in the second half scoring their first goal in the 48th minute and levelling in the 66th minute... A draw being a fair result

Mark

Junior Team Star
Lyndhurst 1-6 QK Southampton
Hampshire Premier League Senior Cup
Attendance: 12
F&n

Struggling top division hosted strong lower division, and the result was never really in doubt. The ground is enclosed and next door to the village rec, with the pitch fully railed and club buildings in one corner. It’s a pleasant rural setting in a beautiful part of the country but the ground could do with a bit of tlc.

I’d read that parking in the ground and neighbouring streets is limited, but it’s only a four minute walk from the free New Forest car parks on the edge of the village, so I dumped the car there before heading for a couple of hours walk and then grabbed a bag of chips and beer in the village centre before the game.

Steveb

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
6.30pm
West Yorkshire League, Div 2 President's Challenge
Howden Clough 2 Tingley Athletic 3 (att 42 h/c)
No admission charge, no progs

I've finally got to the bottom of these West Yorkshire League fixtures. The league campaign has been scrapped and instead they're starting again with a 'President's Challenge' for each division in which the clubs play each other just once. Some clubs are sitting it out, and I don't think it's yet been decided whether promotion and relegation will follow.

I doubt whether either of these clubs will be in the running for promotion, and as they're in the bottom division they shouldn't have to worry about relegation either. Tingley were ahead in the first minute but their lead didn't last long. They had control by half time though, with a 3-1 lead.

Their third goal, just before the break, was controversial, as it was scored into an empty net while the home keeper was lying injured on the ground. Tingley had a player sent off in the second half, and faced a nervous end when Howden Clough got a goal back. Sadly they couldn't equalise, as it would've kept annoying elements among the Tingley followers quiet.

Howden Clough are based at a sports and tennis centre in Batley. The pitch, one of two that are side by side and both railed off, is hidden from view from the car park and quite a walk away. It had a surprisingly rural feel for the middle of West Yorkshire.

Usual content on my blog.

Tim

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Stourbridge, Welton Rovers
Reg Bosanquet Cup : FC Lakeside 1 Barnwood United 1. f&n; attendance 24 (hc)

As referenced by ciderjon, this wasn't great fare on the south-west extremities of Cheltenham. Two sides from the lower division of the GNSL huffed and puffed and, on chances missed, Barnwood should have had a come-from-behind win but honours even on another cool dry evening.
Lots of hot air on the touchline among some faces not seen for a long time and the evening made all the more enjoyable for it. This was only the third competitive game Lakeside have played at their new home and there's plenty of space to develop should they be so minded although some of the neighbouring housing developments look a little upmarket, so much so that you won't be able to view them on Streetview so perhaps lights etc would be tricky.
No amenities noticed in the immediate area , just lots of new housing, so maybe their clubhouse could become a focus for the community, assuming it does open to the public at some point.
Slightly longer journey home than getting there as there's no access to M5N from the A40 out of Cheltenham. You'd think that one of my passengers - karb and the Town Crier - would have noticed signage warning of diversions as the driver didn't spot anything, but no; they had one job..................:unsure:
Also at Cold Pool Lane for the Reg Dwight Cup. Indeed not a good advert for the GNSL - two poor teams and a lot of bleating. I thought the visitors were the main offenders. The evening was redeemed by the Cotswold backdrop and lots of good company, including the Vulture, Warwickian and Mr Smallman in addition to those already mentioned. League re-completed, until Charlton Rovers move to their new ground....

thegroundhog

Junior Team Sub
Hope Valley Premier League
Bamford 0 Doveholes 1 (90) Att: 40
F/N

Another Hope Valley venue with amazing views and like Furness, with regular trains running past. Bamford is beyond Hope, but only geographically speaking. No rail or rope but there was a wooden stand of sorts, which was a bonus. Bamford have a real problem with burst balls with their pitch being surrounded in parts by thick thornbushes. At least two balls had to go off injured and it seems their current batch of balls were in a sorry state.

The first half was scrappy with virtually no chances. Doveholes turned the screw in the second, but just couldn't find the final touch and it had the inevitable air of a 0-0, especially after a wonder save from the Bamford keeper and then a dodgy offside decision for a well worked goal. However, in added time, a long shot hit the post and bounced back on to the feet of a Doveholes striker, who buried it in the corner, to squeals of delight (from the hoppers that is!).

Cleeve

Youth Team Star
GNSL - Reg Davis Cup 2021 - Group C
Berkeley Town v Chalford 0-2 (ht 0-2)
Venue: Canon Park, Station Road, Berkeley (ko 1380hrs)
Attendance: 58 h/c

In a group of eight teams, with everyone playing each other twice, these two First Division teams, along with second division Dursley have already pulled away from the pack. In this game, third place Chalford took all three points and leapfrogged the hosts into second place.

Berkeley started the better but Chalford grew into the game and scored a couple of excellent goals before halftime. After 23 minutes Luke Benneyworth scored directly from a corner which certainly looked intentional. And just before the break the home keeper made a poor clearance directly to Chalford's Jordan Measures who beat a defender and curled a shot past the keeper's outstretched glove.

Berkeley took the game to the visitors after the break but rarely managed to shoot on target while Chalford were constantly, and usually correctly, caught offside. Overall, this was a competitive and entertaining affair.

The ground is viewable from the road on two sides, and is mainly railed off. There is a small area of covered standing by the main road. Beyond the main pitch, there were two junior training sessions in progress and a pavilion that appeared to be open. A pleasantly sunny, if chilly, evening.

Reactions: Tim

GroundhoppingFC

Junior Team Sub
Last night I was at the Hampshire Premier League Senior Cup Group 8 match between Headley United and Liphook United at the Headley Playing Fields.

mids

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Arsenal, Newport IOW, Weymouth
Cranborne 0-2 Stalbridge
Dorset Senior League Cup - at the Mick Loader Memorial Ground (att. c25)

Cranborne have spent several seasons in the Dorset Premier League, though without much success. They dropped to the Senior League in 2017 after failing to finish above 15th place in the previous eight seasons. But it does mean their ground is nicely set up for that standard - fixed railings on three sides of the pitch and a tiny little stand tucked away in the far corner of the field.

Their opponents, Stalbridge, came into this game with just one point from their four League Cup group matches to date, but they started the game much brighter than their hosts. Two goals in the first ten minutes set them on their way to victory - both times beating Cranborne's offside trap. To be honest, the rest of the game was fairly uneventful. It was competitive enough, played at a decent tempo, but lacking creativity - both sides relying heavily on the ball over the top.

Match photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ianmiddlebrook/albums/72157719005801372

DSC_1386_002_thum.jpg

Reactions: Tim
AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock