Wednesday 16th June 2021

dtr1989

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Bury FC
Cheshire & Manchester Sunday League Division One

Manchester Maccabi 2-1 River Plate Reds

Attendance - 12 (all hoppers!)

Venue: Maccabi Community & Sports Club - A private facility based in Prestwich, Manchester, not far from Heaton Park. The Maccabi club and centre is a Jewish facility and has many Jewish players however is welcoming to anybody. There is a 5 a side facility and two 11 a side pitches, both with a wooden rail down one touchline each, and the pitch this game was on also has a wooden rail behind one of the goalines. The pitch is on slightly raised land to the other pitch. There was a great looking Kosher restaurant on site also which smelt incredible.

Game: Maccabi were much the better team and had some impressive players, especially in attack, for a Sunday league side. Their front 3 caused allsorts of problems, especially their number 8 who was on the right wing. The first goal came in the first half for Maccabi from the 8 who ran at his man and struck home. River Plate equalised early in the 2nd half with Maccabi getting a deserved winner with about 15 minutes to go.

a few hoppers decided to stand behind the goal with no fencing and following River Plates equaliser were ordered to move by the referee. I can imagine that riled! If the 2 hoppers who spent the whole game making notes use this forum; can I ask what you make notes on? Just curious!

Last edited:

Tim

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Welton Rovers
Chawn Hill Church 1 St Andrews Netherton 1 (West Midlands Christian League Division 1 Cup) Att: 15 h/c f&n

Was intending to join Mr 56 on a trip Up North, but Ancient Wolf flagged this one up last night and I couldn't resist a tick within walking distance of home. Th game was rarely more than moderately entertaining, thanks in the main to two excellent goalkeepers, who were by some distance the best players on the pitch. Probably a fair result. Three officials for this, but they didn't have a lot to do.

Little point in describing the pleasant but rather basic Swinford Common/Stanley Road Playing Fields/Mary Stevens Park in Stourbridge as Dave The Glassboy did so a few days ago. It hasn't changed since then. A lovely sunny evening.

RussWWFC

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Wycombe Wanderers
With several fine members of this parish at

Rotherfield United 1
Wargrave 4
Thames Valley D1
Attendance: 33
Free Entry - Homemade programme donated by fellow hopper

Wargrave needed to win all three games for the title, also hoping that rivals Reading YMCA slipped up in their last game. It was 1-0 to Wargrave on 28 minutes, a drilled shot from the edge of the area by Sam Wild finding the bottom left-hand corner. Wild got his second on 33 minutes, this time a high shot into the net from outside the area. The game was fairly equal and the hosts had plenty of chances but they were wasteful with them. Rotherfield ended up having a player harshly booked for a tackle. Later on, his teammate accused the tackled player of milking it in an attempt to get the player a £15 fine and in return got called a 'little bitch'. Wargrave were awarded a penalty on 53 minutes following a trip and Stuart Moss converted the spot-kick with aplomb. Rotherfield United pulled one back on 58 minutes, a back-post header right on the line by Kane Bateman following an excellent cross. Wild completed his hat trick on 70 minutes following a neat run and finish. The visitors had a fair few chances towards the end as they looked good value for their lead. The Rotherfield #9 hit the bar with a great shot but it ended on a sour note for #10 after he got frustrated at the referee refusing to tell him how long was left. The game ended 20 seconds later amid drizzle. I made a hasty retreat, leaving at 8.50 and got home 40 minutes later.

More on my blog here:

Steveb

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
6.30pm
Yorkshire Amateur Lge, Div 4
Farnley Sports 5 Toller reserves 5 (att 29 h/c)

Terrific entertainment on a lovely evening in a leafy part of Leeds. Away side went in front, but were 3-1 down by half time. They got it back to 3-3, before yet more goals and a final score of 5-5. None of it mattered very much, with both sides in mid table, but you'd never have guessed that from the commitment shown.

Farnley Sports play at Old Farnley Recreation Ground. It's just a public park, but there's a single pitch and it has a very enclosed feel. It's a different ground to the one used by ex-West Riding County Amateur League side Farnley FC. Enjoyable evening, which was also enjoyed by the 'other' SteveB.

Have I ever mentioned my blog?

DSCF8118.JPG

Cherryhopper

First Team Starter
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
Saints Cup
Testlands 6-2 Hedge End Rangers
Attendance 32 h/c - F + N

Entertaining game albeit a comfortable win for the hosts who led 2-0 at half-time before scoring a further four in the second half and were 5-0 up before Hedge End pulled a goal back. The hosts 6th goal was a penalty which completed a hat trick for number 11 Pattison who plays in the Wessex League for Andover Town, not sure if it was Adam or Tom who both scored when I saw them beat neighbours New Street back in September. The hosts were awarded another penalty soon after, this time inviting their keeper to come forward and take the kick but his effort was a good height for the visiting keeper to save and the visitors scored a second just before the end to bring a but more respectability to the score but it is Testlands who advance to the Semi-Finals on Saturday where they will play whichever reserve team came top of the other group, probably at Testlands as the other semi involving Bush Hill is likely to be at Mansel Park. Plenty of hoppers in attendance.

Testlands Hub is less than half a mile North East of Mansel Park in Green Lane on the playing fields of what used to be Millbrook Secondary School which closed in 2008. The building is still there, now a sports centre. A good set up which could easily grace the Hampshire Premier League, railed off on three sides, the exception being the far end but still plenty of room behind there. There are also two unusual shaped dugouts with round corrugated roofs.

Mark

Junior Team Star
Garforth Rangers 3-3 Savile Utd
Yorkshire Amateur League Div 3
Attendance: 26
F&n

Enjoyable evening as promotion-chasing Savile went two goals clear in the opening stages and ought to have had the game wrapped up by half-time. The home side surprisingly fought back to set up an entertaining close as Savile pressed hard for the winner.

Garforth’s home is Micklefield Rec which is very impressive for this level. I saw the ground many years ago, possibly first noticing it from the A1, but never got around to seeing a game there during Garforth’s unsuccessful spell in the West Yorkshire League. The venue presumably has a bit of history as Micklefield Welfare were members of the Yorkshire League in the 60s, finishing just below Harrogate Town in their final season.

The ground is on the far side of the rec and its main feature is a good-sized covered terrace, about 35 yards long. It looks as though it’s been re-roofed in recent years and also incorporates two small, roof-less dugouts. This side of the ground offers good views as it’s raised a few feet above pitch level. The whole pitch is railed off, except for the area directly in front of the stand.

prorege

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Berwick Charities Cup Preliminary Round
Alnmouth United v Prior Wolfs, 10-0, H.T. 4-0, Att c.60, Collection taken for charity
At The Stanks, Berwick upon Tweed

It’s always good to go to a game in this wonderful tournament which reaches it’s Centenary next year. The number of entries this year is the lowest for a long time – hopefully post-pandemic things will recover and more teams will come back in future years.

This is “renegade” football. It’s not authorised or sanctioned by any FA, local or national. You’d be well advised not to ask for team lines unless you want a punch in the pus. Ringers are mandatory and in years gone by The Stanks has featured players from a surprisingly high level. Back in the 1950s, during National Service, top Scottish players tended to be assigned to the King’s Own Scottish Borderers and stationed at Berwick, and full internationalists were known to have turned out in The Stanks tournament.

Nowadays the teams are a variety of pub elevens, rugby clubs, social groups and workplace teams. The tournament regularly features entrants from as far north as Dunbar and as far south as Alnwick. Matches are all played on the same pitch in the shadow of Berwick’s stunning Elizabethan walls. This place should be a World Heritage Site – I suspect if it was closer to London then it might well be so designated.

In a normal year the players use changing rooms built onto the walls. This year they have to turn up stripped. The standard was variable – waist measurement is often a good indication of ability. If really fat blokes still want to play then they are usually fairly talented.

For 25 minutes this game looked very even. We were even conjecturing if there had ever been a goalless draw in the history of the tournament. However, once Alnmouth United got their noses in front there was no stopping them. It was 4-0 at the break and further goals came at regular intervals through the second half.

Prior Wolfs were desperate to simply score. At 0-9 down they won a corner and even their goalkeeper went up to try and get the elusive goal but to no avail.

It’s impossible and pointless to assign a crowd to a game like this with so many passers by stopping and watching part of the action. There might have been around 50-60 who watched the whole game but it is hard to say. The best view of the entire pitch is from the unwalled side. If you watch from the wall then you cannot see the near side of the pitch. In these days of health and safety it is surprising that there are no protective fences to stop you falling to your almost certain death – just notices warning of a sheer drop. Don’t be the first groundhopper to do so min search of the perfect photo!

An ice cream van attended for the first half and half time - £2.50 for a pokey hat.

This was my third visit to the The Stanhks and I enjoyed itso much that I might be back for a second game before the tournament finishes. Plenty of pubs and chippies in Berwick to satisfy those needs.

Back to the town through the tunnel

1.JPG

30 foot sheer drop
2.JPG

And again
3.JPG

A game of football like any other in a place unlike any other
4.JPG

Photo nicked from Jimmyb
5.jpg

Cleeve

Youth Team Star
With several fine members of this parish at

Rotherfield United 1
Wargrave 4
Thames Valley D1
Attendance: 33
Free Entry - Homemade programme donated by fellow hopper

Wargrave needed to win all three games for the title, also hoping that rivals Reading YMCA slipped up in their last game.
And, with Wargrave being awarded the points for their penultimate game that should have taken place this Saturday, their final game happens to be a "winner takes all" away to Reading YMCA.

Lord Lucan

Reserve Team Regular
6.30pm
Yorkshire Amateur Lge, Div 4
Farnley Sports 5 Toller reserves 5 (att 29 h/c)
Had considered that game but instead went to the other side of Leeds for a match in the Premier Division of the same league:

Mount St Mary's 3 Shire Academics 1

Not as many goals, but another entertaining game. The lowly visitors took a deserved lead midway through the first half but the third (now second) placed team had the better of things in the second. The second home goal was scored from a seemingly impossible angle and no one, including the striker, seemed quite sure how it had gone in.

Since the restart, St Mary's have been playing at Fearnville PFs on the edge of Gipton. The action took place on Pitch 1, which is one of four on the lower level with another two (one rugby, one football) on the higher level. The many trees on the bank between the levels means it is not possible to see all of Pitch 1 from the raised area.
The players changed in their cars parked on the opposite side of South Parkway Approach - not sure if this would be the arrangement in normal times, but I did not spot any changing rooms in the vicinity.
M.JPG

Warwickian

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Leamington
Reeth & District Athletic 6 Catterick Garrison Football Centre 4
Wensleydale League.

A short break in North Yorkshire enabled me to see my first ever match in the Wensleydale Creamery League and it was very enjoyable. The standard wasn't the highest with both teams awful in defence but alot better going forward.
The lead changed hands a few times with the score being 3-3 at thebreak. Reeth eventually pulled clear in th second period.
Reeth play at the Athletic Field which is to the south of the very pleasant village and accessed by the caravan park road. The setting of the pitch is stunning set deep into Swaledale. There is a decent sized pavilion behind one goal which is set on stilts.The River Swale is behind the far goal which suggests there might be some flooding possible in winter.
Attendance of 11 including Len S.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock