Walthamstow Avenue FC (the original)

Sandy Lane

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Tooting & Mitcham United FC
Interesting thoughts, thanks all.

And, as so often happens, an original post expands to encompass several other stories worth telling so I shall look into the stories of Romford and Willesden FCs. As always, any info appreciated.

essexian

Junior Team Starter
Up thread somewhere, some one mentioned the grounds in East London which are now lost. These include Romford (lost to football now a dog track but for how long?), Ilford, Leytonstone and Walthamstow (all now under "housing").

To that list, you could add the Boleyn Ground... housing, Highbury (yes yes, not East London but hey, its my post) and perhaps the Dog and Duck Leyton.... I believe the ground is still there but in a right state.

One final ground which hasn't been mentioned is the old Barking town centre ground: Vicarage Field. As I understand it, Barking left the ground in 1973 after, according to WIki, the council forced them out. I never went there but understand from chats with my late father that it wasn't a bad ground and could hold quite a few thousand. I am sure when I went past on a train some 10/15 years back, there was still some sign of the ground visible. Having checked on Google maps, it seems its all under a retail centre now.

I am sure there are other football grounds lost across London: I can think of Sandy Lane Tooting, Kingstonians wonderful old place and Southbury Road Enfield. There are loads of other sports venues also lost including Walthamstow Dog Track (it is "criminal" what they did to that place), Hackney, West Ham and Clapton dogs etc etc.....perhaps we need a new thread in "History" call "Lost Grounds of London/UK...."

Sentinel

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Ground hopper
Up thread somewhere, some one mentioned the grounds in East London which are now lost. These include Romford (lost to football now a dog track but for how long?),

There are loads of other sports venues also lost including Walthamstow Dog Track (it is "criminal" what they did to that place), Hackney, West Ham and Clapton dogs etc etc.....perhaps we need a new thread in "History" call "Lost Grounds of London/UK...."

Romford played at Brooklands which was built on in the 1970's. Romford greyhound stadium is seperate and has had a major refurbishment and will be around for quite some time to come. As for what happened at Walthamstow dogs, the Chandler family sold it for housing even though they have plenty of money as it is (think millions and you're in the right area). Wimbledon stadium was also a devastating loss as that was the last multi-purpose stadium hosting dogs, banger racing speedway etc.

Anyone know what's going on at Romford with Glen Tamplin in charge? Is there a new ground on the horizon or not?

essexian

Junior Team Starter
Romford played at Brooklands which was built on in the 1970's. Romford greyhound stadium is seperate and has had a major refurbishment and will be around for quite some time to come.

As for what happened at Walthamstow dogs, the Chandler family sold it for housing even though they have plenty of money as it is (think millions and you're in the right area).

I stand corrected regarding Romford. I always thought the dog and football grounds were the same. Thanks for the information. There is a photo of the ground here https://www.footballgroundmap.com/ground/brooklands-stadium/romford which makes it look very impressive.

Ah yes, the Chandlers.... I knew them well as I used to work at the dog track in the 1970's and knew their daughter. They had no reason to sell the track apart from for the cash as, as I understand it, it was still profitable until the end.

mxhornet

Reserve Team Regular
Romford played at Brooklands which was built on in the 1970's. Romford greyhound stadium is seperate and has had a major refurbishment and will be around for quite some time to come.

Having been local to the greyhound stadium for many years but too young to attend (though I did go there once or twice once old enough) I can confirm it is a different venue to Brooklands and may be familiar to rail travelers as it clearly visible from the rail line between Romford and Chadwell Heath on the same side and close to Westland's and West Ham United's training ground.

Romboro35

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Romford
Up thread somewhere, some one mentioned the grounds in East London which are now lost. These include Romford (lost to football now a dog track but for how long?), Ilford, Leytonstone and Walthamstow (all now under "housing").

To that list, you could add the Boleyn Ground... housing, Highbury (yes yes, not East London but hey, its my post) and perhaps the Dog and Duck Leyton.... I believe the ground is still there but in a right state.

One final ground which hasn't been mentioned is the old Barking town centre ground: Vicarage Field. As I understand it, Barking left the ground in 1973 after, according to WIki, the council forced them out. I never went there but understand from chats with my late father that it wasn't a bad ground and could hold quite a few thousand. I am sure when I went past on a train some 10/15 years back, there was still some sign of the ground visible. Having checked on Google maps, it seems its all under a retail centre now.

I am sure there are other football grounds lost across London: I can think of Sandy Lane Tooting, Kingstonians wonderful old place and Southbury Road Enfield. There are loads of other sports venues also lost including Walthamstow Dog Track (it is "criminal" what they did to that place), Hackney, West Ham and Clapton dogs etc etc.....perhaps we need a new thread in "History" call "Lost Grounds of London/UK...."
Just a small observation to say that Romford dog track in westbound London Road is and has always been just that while the still sadly missed Brooklands football stadium was situated off North Street! 😊

Davetherave

Reserve Team Hopeful
Things have gone very quiet at Romford with Glenn Tamplin in charge. Has he got the ambitious plans that he used to have at Billericay?

As for the old Willesden FC, they didn't own the stadium which is still used for hockey I think. But the football club had a clubhouse bar there if I remember correctly

Ricardo

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC wimbledon
Things have gone very quiet at Romford with Glenn Tamplin in charge. Has he got the ambitious plans that he used to have at Billericay?

As for the old Willesden FC, they didn't own the stadium which is still used for hockey I think. But the football club had a clubhouse bar there if I remember correctly
I remember the 1986 hockey World Cup was held at Willesden Stadium

Romboro35

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Romford

Glenn Tamplin (when games are on) is mostly concerned with Romford player/team matters and his other interests whilst also liaising with the club Chairman Steve Gardener and Vice Chairman Colin Ewenson on ongoing general club matters including the building of a new football stadium at Westlands Playing Fields in London Road on the western outskirts of the town.

igmc

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Tranmere Rovers, Hendon, New Brighton (RIP)
"And, as so often happens, an original post expands to encompass several other stories worth telling so I shall look into the stories of Romford and Willesden FCs. As always, any info appreciated."

There was a recent thread on Football in Willesden at https://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/forums/index.php?threads/foootball-in-willesden.3173/

Started by user thecoldend who was writing an article on Willesden FC and heading off into some interesting sidetracks.

Romboro35

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Romford
Not many these days, someone I know was at the 1947 Amateur Cup semi final but even he’s getting on a bit
I saw them play Romford a few times in their four quarter kit and they were an impressive team to watch especially Kavanagh! 😊

Ricardo

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC wimbledon
You're obviously a master of understatement! Someone who was at a match 74 years ago is "getting on a bit" ?
Who'd have thought............. :cool:
He was 10 then so is late 80s now but quite well preserved for his age!!!

Cockney Rebel

Junior Team Sub
I was born in Walthamstow in late 40's and although I followed Tottenham I often went down to Green Pond Road when Spurs were on a long away trip.

My memories of Dave Andrews playing who went on to play for Leytonstone, Ilford & Redbridge and finally Dagenham where he became Chairman for many years (1992-2013) and sadly passed away in Nov 2018.

His father ran a shoe repair business in Church Road Leytonstone next door to my uncle's florist shop.

I've still got some old programmes from those days locked away somewhere.

Went to school in Leyton (Leyton County High) and for a part my PE teacher was Phil Woosnam who went on to really launch football in America.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks