Tuesday 29th September 2020

Mek

Junior Team Star
Western One
Bishop Sutton 0 Calne Town 3

Calne pressed straight from the off and were rewarded with 3 goals in 13 minutes.

On 11 mins, a cross in from the right, the home keeper could only parry, a ball across the goal and the net found from 8 yds at the back post for the opener.

5 mins later a corner was swung over to the back post, a pass back and a shot was slammed home from appx 12 yds for No 2.

The third on 24 mins was a cross in from right with a free header into the opposite corner.

Bishop Sutton were chasing the game after that and created a few chances of their own, but Calne always looked in control.

An entertaining game which seemed to whizz by quickly, compared with last weeks game at Bristol Telephones. I felt that the homesters were a better side than both teams last week.

Glad finally to get to Lakeview after an aborted effort 2 years ago when my car played up at Frome and I diverted to Westbury instead.

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
Wessex League Division 1
Andover Town 5-2 Andover New Street
Attendance 289
Admission £5 with Free programme

Feisty local derby which swung one way then the other and saw the visitors finish the game with 7 men following two red cards and two sin bins after looking in complete control for the first 50 minutes. They took the lead with a deflected shot midway through the first half and doubled their advantage with a header from a corner just before the break and early in the second half a third goal looked more likely than a route back for the hosts but, on a counter attack, they pulled a goal back and levelled with a penalty on the hour, took the lead on 80 minutes then, as the visitors were depleted in numbers, added two more goals in injury time which lasted a further ten minutes.

My first visit to Portway since a 0-5 defeat to Winchester City on a Friday night in April 2005, technically a bracketed tick as this is a different club to the original Andover who wore red and black and folded in 2011. The new club wear all blue and the railings and framework of the stand have been repainted to reflect the new club's colours. There is also a new covered standing area behind the goal by the entrance since my last visit. At the tea bar, not only did all hot food run out by half time they also ran out of milk so had to have a hot chocolate instead of tea:(.

pilgrim46

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Plymouth Argyle, any non league team in Devon & Cornwall
South West Peninsular League Premier Division East
Elburton Villa 1-2 Millbrook (1-0 HT)
Att 73 - Adm £5 - Coffee £1

Millbrook maintained their 100% start to the season with a comeback victory this entertaining & feisty derby game. Elburton took the lead on 32 minutes with a 25 yarder that screamed into the top corner. The MIllbrook manager must have a few words to say at half time because in the 2nd half they came out a different team & finally got the equaliser with 12 minutes to go. They then went for the winner & 5 minutes later got it from a corner. My first visit of the season to Haye Road but no changes to the ground since last season.

Bagman

Youth Team Regular
Northern Premier League South East Division

Wisbech Town (0) 0 v 3 (1)Worksop Town

Admission £6 OAP , Programme On Line , Attendance 210

New Grounds : 2020/2021 = 7
Last New Ground : Wisbech Town 29th September 2020

InvictaBuck

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC Telford United, Gillingham, Folkestone Invicta, Witham Town, Woking, Fisher.
THE ROYAL OAK
HARWICH & PARKESTON 1 Holland 1

Excellent evening at one of my favourite venues, now looking very tidy indeed. They also managed their virus requirements very well too.

A draw a fair result on the night.

Pre match drinks at the local Wetherspoons, where a cask serving of Theakstons Old Peculiar was most welcome 😋

Tim

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Stourbridge, Welton Rovers
Western League Division One @ Moor Lane :
Wincanton Town 1 Welton Rovers 1.
Entry £6.

A close fought game, Wincanton edged the opening half and Welton the 2nd half. Despite having the better of it it took until the 43rd minute for the hosts to grab the lead, as much as I wanted to celebrate being at the game with the Stourbridge branch of the Welton Rovers Worldwide Supporters Association I thought better of it. HT 1-0.

Welton spent most of the 2nd half chasing a goal that didn't look like coming, often leaving themselves open to the counter attack. Then on 84 minutes a ball swung and a headed OG provided the equaliser. However looking at their goalcam the Welton forward claiming the goal might actually have a case....I await confirmation from the WRWSA.
Also at this, to see a little of Rovers' best start to a season for 50 years. Goal was indeed scored by Alex Wych, as shown on Goal Cam. A most enjoyable evening with The Vulture..

Royals26

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Reading FC
Combined Counties Division One

Memorial Ground

Farnham Town 3-0 Sandhurst Town

Adm :
£7 - might well have been less - entrance hut was v. dark - possibly 'lost' some change
... progs on line only.

Att: h/c 120 plus

Directions: regular here - down A33 via H.Wintney & Fleet - up to Church Crookham then head east on A287 which forks right by the Shell garage down Folly HIll to Castle St - follow one way system round to rejoin the A287 westbound.
Plenty of road closures for re-surfacing works and some development ongoing close to the Golf Course ...
- B3011 N beyond Hartley was closed on return journey, so continued west & came back on the old 'A32' route up via Hook, Heckfield & Riseley to A33.
- A32 now de-classified at this point to the B3349 - apparently it used to run on North from where it starts/ends nr Alton, right up to Loudwater (nr Wycombe!)

Facilities: T&T at turnstile which is quite narrow/cramped - bit of a queue formed.

Bar was open for alcohol, food and Hot Drinks etc but table service only - mostly outside.
- metal garden furniture with 'fixed' chairs probably designed for 8 yr olds - so 'slightly larger' gentlemen which are commonly found within the hopping variety, had to take great care getting in and out of the contraptions - particularly as everyone was probably wearing extra layers for the sudden cold snap?
- I moved back to a handy wooden bench, as any movement was tricky whilst sat down and I was beginning to lose feeling in my legs! 😄

Other minor gripe on the night: they only had the entrance at the club house side open down Mead Lane - v.narrow v. dark (look for the Farnham Tandoori opposite the Plough - directly off of the A325)
- Memorial Hall side hut & gate were locked, meaning a long walk round from the free parking in the retail/commercial areas over that side.
They did at least open it after the game - though by then my mate, for reasons known only to him, had decided to amble off back out the long way round - and not follow me.

Match: very routine win for the table toppers over the struggling 'Fizzers' : Charlie Oakley hat-trick.

Considerable upheaval at Sandhurst: seem to have lost nearly all of last season's squad
(overheard some say they'd shifted over to one or other of the Fleets)
I think they are made up largely of some fringe and youth 'Robins' - from looking at the team list.

They are also currently sheltering at Bracknell's Larges Lane - whilst Bottom Meadow is re-built/re-shaped into a larger 'hub'; hopefully for for both clubs to continue as separate entities?.

Back home by about 22:30

Last edited:

Dr Love

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Halifax Town
Badshot Lea 2-0 Knaphill
Combined Counties Premier

A game of two halves. The first was good, with both sides playing some positive attacking football. The first goal came early with a penalty just before the half hour. Plenty of action leading up to the interval. The second half didn't live up to the first. Lots of fouls and a lack of flow. Knaphill reduced to ten men for the later stages (second booking) andaside from one good double save from the visiting keeper, it was the ten men who had more of the play. However, it never looked like a comeback was going to happen.

New ground with plenty of space to spread out.

Burgesshillbee

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Brentford
Merstham 3 v 0 Corinthian Casuals Isthmian League Premier Division Admission £10 Prog £2 Coffee £1 Att 252

Met up with Dorking Keith for the first time since lock down. Despite the club Covid Risk Assessment saying it was card payment only, it was actually Cash Only and the track and trace was nowhere to be seen outside, the NHS posters were on the inside, one behind the programme seller and one in the far corner (there may have been others) however no one bothered to make sure you used them and there was no pen and paper check either and it appears this was the same last week, also the programme seems to have shrunk in size as confirmed by Dorking Keith, we watched the game on the far side of the ground, Merstham scored after 33 minutes and added 2 more in the second half, the first of these goals was down to a mistake from the Casuals keeper and the second was a cracking shot from the edge of the area. Journey home by train was disrupted at Haywards Heath due to a one under south of Burgess Hill, which meant Mrs BHB had to collect me from Wivelsfield to get me back to my car parked in Burgess Hill.

villan

Junior Team Starter
Wessex league 1 East Cowes Victoria 0-3. Newport IOW ATT 288 ADM concession £3(advance ticket).

Isle of Wight & groundsharers derby. "Visitors" looked the stronger side throughout but it was goal less at break. However Port stepped things up afterwards to take points with goals on 65. 81 & 87. A good atmosphere in ground with friendly stewards.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks