Tuesday 27th April 2021

Tim

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Stourbridge, Welton Rovers
Bruton United 4 Pen Mill 6, Yeovil & District League Division 1, Att: 15, Admission/Prog: No

What more could you want? Goals, scenery and good company were all on offer at this fabulous little ground which is overlooked by Bruton Dovecote. The pitch itself is on a plateau above the changing rooms and is bordered along one side by a high, overgtown stone wall in front of which is a raised grass bank providing an elevated view of proceedings and the village beyond. The dovecote sits on a hill immediately behind the goal to the right while a rope on the opposite side was the only football furniture. The game, pitching together the bottom two sides in Division 1 was entertaining from the off, three goals in the first 13 minutes saw the visitors 2-1 ahead and it was 3-1 at the break. The goals continued to flow in the second half, the home side never quite managing to get back on terms. Good to catch up with fellow part-time Dorset resident Tim as well as Martin B. Thotoughly good fun.

As sn aside, Bruton appears to have the most inappropriately-named school in the world.... Sexey's.
A perfect description from Andy D. What could be better than silly season football in a place like this? A perfect evening.

Lord Lucan

Reserve Team Regular
6.30pm
Mid Lancashire League, Div 1
Tarleton Corinthians 0 Standish St Wilfrids reserves 0 (att 17 h/c)
See Tarleton played yesterday then. 'Couldn't raise a team' on Saturday but apparently 8 of the players then turned up to watch the reserves who also had 6 subs. o_O

Yesterday I watched their scheduled opponents from Saturday in a cracking top of the table game in the same division at Worden Park - Leyland Town 2 Bickerstaffe 1

Staffe could have scored twice in the opening few minutes - excellent save and goal line clearance - but it was Divisonal leaders Leyland who were deservedly 2-0 up by half time with two well taken goals.

Second placed Staffe deservedly pulled one back with another excellent strike, direct from a free kick, 20 mins from the end, but could not find the equaliser despite the keeper going up front in the last couple of minutes.

The quality of play was a huge step up on the Wigan & District League the night before. I would watch more games in the Mid Lancs but many of the locations are out of range by public transport midweek and the league does seem to have a worryingly large number of walkovers awarded - 17 listed for this week already up to and including Saturday.

andy smith

Junior Team Sub
Isleham United 3 Fordham 1
Isleham Recreation Ground
Cambridgeshire League, Kershaw 30 Years Senior Cup

F & N
Attendance; 69 h/c

Pleasant evening, light showers stopped as game kicked off. Open recreation ground/ Village Green feel with roads on two sides - large, modern community hall/sports facility in one corner ( closed) and a cricket square behind one goal.

Rumour has it, the football will move to a further field closer to larger new housing development about 100m to the west of current pitch.

A number of hoppers at the game - so good to catch up with a number of them and chat about Spanner, Serbia and dodgy lifts!

Game was also a local derby and was very entertaining, home side took an early lead from a header and had most of the play but away team were never out of the game and got back on terms. Isleham then went ahead in the second half with a badly deflected goal. Last few minutes were all Fordham, who had a number of corners - keeper came up and Isleham caught him out, as they broke away and got their third goal in the 93rd minute.
Also at this game, I thought maybe a draw would have been a fair result, easily the best game I've seen since the restart....

mids

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Arsenal, Newport IOW, Weymouth
Yeovil & District Premier
Village Hall Rec
Odcombe 1(0) Martock United 1(0)
F&N Attendance: 40+ at its peak

Looks like I missed the rain in Wiltshire! Held at a small village Rec 3 miles SW of Yeovil off the A3008, the ground and village are on a hill. Open with no furniture; a big grass bank behind one goal affords a good viweing point of both the ground and Yeovil itself (the floodlights at New Huish were on for Solihull Moors). 3 or 4 old codgers, the crowd were mainly whipper-snappers and mates of the players (Martock is only a few miles away so a local derby).
For Step 10 (bottom v 2nd from bottom), this was an entertaining watch but with no great quality; these two have only 3 victories all season between them. I was impressed with the visitors who were more dynamic and had the running angles and basic skills down to a T; much more so than the home team who were a bit too 'hoofy'.
A straight red card for the visitors on 30 livened things up; just a poor tackle, no malice. Despite the many half chances being created by the visitors, I had a feeling I was facing a pair of spectacles. Then a really good move and cross was headed home on 63 for the visitors; they followed this up with a couple of 1-on-1's but failed to score. They paid for this as a penalty was awarded to the home side on 85 (from where I was stood it looked harsh) and despatched; a very popular goal scorer who seems to have just come back from a 10-match ban...goodness knows what he had done to deserve that!
A very enjoyable evening and home in just under 60 via Shepton and Frome.

Also at this game - I like your description. Since I'm not a whipper-snapper, then I guess that makes me one of the old codgers! If you were up on the grass bank, then I was the guy in front of you with the camera.

Odcombe were a young side, and just seemed a touch lightweight for this division. I was amused to hear their 'keeper urging them to 'get the ball down and play' when he spent most of the game punting the ball as far down the pitch as he could. An unusual end to the game, when the referee blew the whistle bang on 90 minutes, just as Odcombe were about to take a corner. Not quite a 'Clive Thomas' moment, but heading that way.

As you say, a popular goalscorer. More match photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ianmiddlebrook/albums/72157719101136075/

DSC_2774_048_thum.jpg

GroundhoppingFC

Junior Team Sub
Last night I made the trip into South Leicestershire for the Leicestershire Senior League Restart Trophy Group Stage match between Division 2 South and West sides AFC North Kilworth and their visitors Dunton and Broughton United at the North Kilworth Sports Club. A real hidden gem of a ground!

Digdagdog

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Lancashire CCC, Wigan Warriors
Also at this game - I like your description. Since I'm not a whipper-snapper, then I guess that makes me one of the old codgers! If you were up on the grass bank, then I was the guy in front of you with the camera

I was the guy sat cross-legged almost directly behind the goal until the last 5 minutes...nice pics

Steveb

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
See Tarleton played yesterday then. 'Couldn't raise a team' on Saturday but apparently 8 of the players then turned up to watch the reserves who also had 6 subs. o_O

Yesterday I watched their scheduled opponents from Saturday in a cracking top of the table game in the same division at Worden Park - Leyland Town 2 Bickerstaffe 1

Staffe could have scored twice in the opening few minutes - excellent save and goal line clearance - but it was Divisonal leaders Leyland who were deservedly 2-0 up by half time with two well taken goals.

Second placed Staffe deservedly pulled one back with another excellent strike, direct from a free kick, 20 mins from the end, but could not find the equaliser despite the keeper going up front in the last couple of minutes.

The quality of play was a huge step up on the Wigan & District League the night before. I would watch more games in the Mid Lancs but many of the locations are out of range by public transport midweek and the league does seem to have a worryingly large number of walkovers awarded - 17 listed for this week already up to and including Saturday.
Some Mid Lancashire League teams (Preston Wanderers for one) have in effect gone into abeyance until next season, but for some reason their fixtures are still on Full Time.

Also, I don’t think there’ll be any promotion or relegation this season, so I guess the league are taking a laidback approach if teams are struggling to get a side out. Doesn’t account for Tarleton players being unavailable to play but available to watch their reserves though.

Westberkspalace

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Palace/Didcot T/Epsom and Ewell.
Hellenic Chairman's Cup
Watlington Sports Ground
Watlington Town 2-0 Stokenchurch
Attendance: 24

A decent contest in a local derby, deservedly won by Watlington thanks to two well-taken goals. More in my blog here

Also at this Russ, not that it matters, but I counted 32 watching, five minutes into the game. I also spoke briefly to Farnborough fan Mark Hardy right near the end of the game. Good to read your blog, accurate report, and certainly a good ground for Step 7, one I'd past about half dozen times in the past. My journey was 15 miles from Didcot via Wallingford and Benson. My fifth Step Seven game in two weeks, and already my enthusiasm for this standard is starting to wane, a higher level is soon to be available hopefully. During the second half I enjoyed the family of Red Kites swooping high and low over the cricket field as the light faded and my attention from the football drifted.

Tyke Traveller

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Scarborough Athletic
Scarborough FC
Sculcoates Amateurs 2 Hornsea Town 4
Humber Premier League
Behind closed doors but 20 or so spectators were watching through the open cage door and fence.
A great game to watch, despite it being played on an artificial surface in a school sports cage. Some excellent football was on display and the chance to have a chat with Hull City legend Dean Windass, who is the Scully assistant manager.
Full feature, pictures and report are here – Tyke Travels

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks