Tuesday 15th September 2020

Pawn Of Prophecy

Youth Team Sub
CCL Premier

Egham Town 2 Knaphill 4

Attendance - around 100. T&T - Door Sentinels. Didn't work on my phone and apparently not on a lot of other phones as well.

A pretty decent match this. Knaphill went ahead on 18 through Alabi with a goal that appeared to go through three Egham defender's legs. Egham equalised on 27, an utterly needless penalty converted by Kehinoe. An OG on 33 and another from Danny Taylor on 44 put Knaphill in command.

A fourth from Taylor on 51 appeared to be match over but then Egham suddenly remembered they were playing a football match. They upped the stakes and were on top for the last half hour. They got one back on 78 through sub McCarthy but they'd given themselves too much to do.

Knaphill stay top of the table and look a good skillful team. Veteran striker Jacob Lambe playing up front for them, which was a surprise.

Karb

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Sunderland AFC,
Keighley Cougars RLFC
United Counties League Division 1
Melton Town 8 Birstall United 1
Attendance 115
Admission £5
Programme £1

Well a bit of everything here. Four penalties awarded to the home side (2 missed), 9 goals although it could have been more with the woodwork also rattled twice, one sending off and plenty of good football played by the home side. Despite the scoreline the visitors didn't give up but Melton are a good side at this level. They scored 15 goals in the first two games.

This was my first visit since the start of last season. It was nice to see a new covered wood terrace alongside the pitch. It looks homemade so has some character. It also looks like a few more picnic tables have been added behind one goal. Hot food and driink is available with beer & fizz available in cans.

As usual the clubs small sized square programme was on sale at the turnstile.
Also at this one. My headcount was 130.

Plan A had been Oxhey Jets v Harpenden Town but, with the train connections being fairly tight, I decided not to risk it when I saw signalling problems being reported earlier in the afternoon, so Plan B came into action.

Melton looks to be the place to see goals this season, having won their only previous League game 7-3. They certainly play very attractive football - both full backs are very attack minded and, with quick passing and pace throughout the side, they were far too good for their opponents, It will be interesting, though, to see if better teams are able to punish them on the counter attack, where they look to be vulnerable.

Melton were ahead after 4 minutes, 2 up after 10 minutes and 4 up inside 25, by which time the game was over as a contest. On 36 minutes came the first of two identical missed penalties, both skied over the bar by number 18. Birstall pulled one back on 42 minutes - their keeper made a fine double save following a free kick, then launched the ball downfield, where number 11 latched onto it and lobbed the ball over the Melton keeper.

With the slope in their favour in the second half, it wasn't difficult to imagine Melton getting double figures, especially when they got a second penalty in the opening minute of the half. Number 18 again skied it over.
In fact, it took until the 72nd minute for Melton to increase their lead, with further goals following on 75 (a penalty), 86 (another penalty) and 90+1. Number 9, who had opened the scoring, completed his hat-trick with the two late penalties.

Pre match refreshment was taken in the Noels Arms, and post-match in the Boat, before catching the train back.

villan

Junior Team Starter
Hellenic 1 east. Penn & Tyler's Green 2-0 Abingdon Town ADM £3 programme online only which I cannot view/download on my browser.

Basic step 6 ground with small area of cover on 1 side containing bench seating in 1 half & terraced in other. Hard standing behind near goal & sign saying spectator no access to far side which has no hard standing but a grass slope giving an elevated view which some people took advantage off on a nice evening. Pitch is close to clubhouse & good floodlighting, Car park with overflow just about adequate for tonight' s attendance of approx. 100. New ground for me as it is railed all round & on lower level than pitch I previously visited.

Game was hard fought & evenly contested but hosts just stronger up front & deserved win with a goal in each half. A good night out & good to see Bob Lilliman again.

revandyw

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
West Bromwich Albion / Havant & Waterlooville
Combined Counties Premier
Sheerwater 1 Camberley Town 0

A first visit for me to Woking's Kingfield. Bought my ticket online for £7 (although you could pay cash at the turnstile). Temperature checked on the way in. Programme £1.50. Only the stand on the dugout sidewas in use, but good social distancing in evidence.

Sheerwater were very much on top in the first half and deserved their half-time lead, which came thanks to a 27th minute goal well taken by Rideout. Camberley were much better after the break resulting in an entertaining second half. Sheerwater still looked the more likely to score and would have done but for two instinctive saves from the Camberley keeper.

The game was topped off by a late sending off for the Camberley No 6, who reacted to a reckless challenge on one of his team-mates.

jbattheground

Junior Team Starter
Also @ Bourton Rovers.

Certainly the most basic Step 6 ground I've seen for some time - 2 sided & no cover or seats (although as stated above it looks like a stand will be installed soon). Nice clubhouse.

Would expect them to struggle this season although I expect little or no relegation at this Step this season.

Again lucky with traffic both ways & indoors by 23:20.
Also at Bourton and agree with both reports so far. Bourton certainly look like they'll be one of the weakest teams but I have seen far worse 'grace' this division in recent years. Although, given Tytherington's early results don't indicate hopelessness and New College Swindon aren't in this league any more, a slightly higher standard might be required to avoid the nominal drop zone this year. I thought Sarries were a good watch though.

FatCat

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Witham Town, Rochdale and West Ham United.
Witham Town U18’s 2-0 Long Melford U18’s (HT: 0-0)
Thurlow Nunn / Eastern Counties Youth League – South Division

Kick Off: 17.45
Admission: free with first team season ticket, otherwise £4
Programme: n/a
Attendance: 50 h/c

A winning start for our U18’s although with the score 0-0 at half time I thought my year long run without seeing a goalless game was coming to an end.
As the second half wore on I feared the worst but Town broke the deadlock on 71 minutes with a good goal.
They sealed victory with a second a minute from the end.

Dave the Glassboy

Junior Team Sub
Central Midlands League South Division
Pinxton 1 Hilton Harriers 1
Admission £3, programme available

Can't say it's the greatest ground I've been to but it has a certain rustic charm. Probably the first venue I've been that's down the hill from the local graveyard.

Hard standing all round There is a seated area but it's to the side of the dugouts so didn't give a great view so I watched from the opposite side.

Good end-to-end game with the visitors 1-0 up at the interval with the home side equalising from the penalty spot early in the 2nd half.

Pleasantly, no delays on the M1, M42 or M6 on the way home.

Dr Love

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Halifax Town
Tring Athletic 2-3 Crawley Green
Spartan South Midlands Premier

First visit for 12 years, I'm not sure too much has changed (possibly the small area of cover on the far side), but it's a decent and well kept ground. The carpark was full on arrival as the rugby club were also at home. It didn't take Crawley Green long to open the scoring, by which point they'd already hit the bar and had a penalty saved. Tring got into the game and levelled half an hour in, but could only maintain parity for a couple of minutes, before their defence parted allowing a run through it. A second equaliser eventually arrived with a little over ten minutes to go. Thereafter Tring generally looked the more likely to score, but with their one decent chance it was Crawley Green who netted a 90th minute winner.

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
Hampshire Premier League Senior Division (7:30pm)
Hayling United 1-0 Clanfield
Attendance 128 official, my headcount was 176.
Admission Free, Monthly Programme £4

First win of the season for the hosts, the goal coming in the 58th minute when a through ball found George Rough on the right side of the penalty area, the keeper got a foot to his shot but could only divert it through his legs into the corner of the net.

Programme had 4 less pages than Clanfield but cost £1 more and didn't have any visiting squad lists unlike the latter. This was my second visit here, last time a November night when the Humbugs were in the Wessex League, at least this time got to see the ground in daylight arriving before sunset. Since then the covered stand has disappeared, sold to AFC Stoneham apparently, so a nasty surprise if you visit expecting cover and it rains! The only cover left is the school bike shelter next to where the stand used to be set back from the pitch but this was out of bounds to spectators as it was being used to store the players' kit bags. Home around 10:30pm after dropping Spud off at Havant Station.

Planet Gong

Ball Boy / Girl
UCL Div 1
St.Andrews 2 v 1 Holwell Sports
At Canal St.Aylestone
In £6
Prog £1
Att 100 circa
A meaty encounter between 2 Leicestershire sides with some challenges that made me wince.Result a fair reflection.
Ale Stone still not open planning on doing so mid October.

Vince

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
Everton
Blidworth Welfare
South Normanton Athletic v Mansfield Hosiery Mills
2020/21:
game no: 6
Tuesday 15th Sept 2020
Lees Lane South Normanton
Competition: CMFL
Kick off 19:45
ADM £3
Programme: Yes Limited Print £2
Snack kiosk open serving the usual tea,coffee, not & cold snacks.
Bar also open for alcohol
Parking: Fairly decent sized carpark at the ground, Shared by Bowls & Cricket club too when they have matches on.
Track & trace upon entry done online

Half time 0 - 0
Full time 1 - 0

paulh66

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
Hellenic One West
Rissington Road
Bourton Rovers 0(0) Cheltenham Saracens 4(1)
Admission: £4 No paper Attendance: 80
Just to add that Bourton do produce an e-programme, accessible here: https://bourtonroversfootball.com/programmes.

Strange that they show a price on the cover if they're not issuing paper copies, though I suppose I've encountered far stranger things with e-programmes!

Last edited:

Royals26

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Reading FC
Hellenic 1 East.

French School Meadows

Penn & Tyler's Green 2-0 Abingdon Town

ATT
: official 77
+1 for here

ADM £5
- programme online "only which I cannot view/download on my browser."

...worked fine for my cranky old Desktop - which just about carries Chrome - had to 'fiddle about' with settings to get it the right way round - which , for once, I seemed to manage!

Directions: very windy narrow route up - Sat Nav took me E off A404M nr Marlow via Wooburn Gn;
on the A4094 and then further north east on the B4440 across the A40 onto Whitehouse Lane - followed by a couple of miles along roads where they'd have widen them,to put a white line down the middle!

NOTE to self: check someone hasn't altered default route finder setting to - 'W!lts Tractor Mode'
🤭

Facilities : arr about 19:30 ish got a space in the overflow Car Park

T&T - sign-in at bar and again at the ground entrance - lots of 'one-way signs about, to move around bar but easily ignored as it is quite small.

My first time back since the long-awaited lights were put up: as reported they are now on the pitch nearest to the club.
Shiny new plastic barriered surround - v. small covered stand with some bench seats limited to c 18?

Match: 'Abbots' line up looked very young and a bit lightweight; they didn't cope well when pressed but a big improvement is in prospect on last season if this squad stay together.
- probably need an old head in midfield.
They looked neat and well-coached but never really tested the home keeper nor present any danger from close range until v. late on.
P&TG looked strong and doubtless may challenge for the upper spots.

Return journey: more conventional (initially) down into Wycombe and up out again on A404 to Handy Cross.
Not for the first time, I was caught out by the M4 West night closure 8-10. Didn't check beforehand and there were no signs on the outward leg.
There was just ONE sign S'bound on A404M and it would have helped considerably if it were NOT placed just north of the Cox Gn turn .... when it's too effing late to head west on the A4 and requires a lengthy double-back! 🤬🤬

...still indoors by about 22:40 via Kings Chef....

dtr1989

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Bury FC
New Ground 89
Nelson 1-1 Accrington Stanley u23
Friendly
Victoria Park
Admission - £5
Attendance - 200ish

First visit to Victoria Park in Nelson. Difficult parking on a dark road with limited footpath, the ground is hidden away down a dead end road. Track & Trace and sanitising done, the ground was surprisingly quite pleasant, contrary to what I had been told.

The pitch is fully railed, there is one seated/standing stand, set slightly back from the touchline. There was a beer tent and a portacabin social club which was being used as a changing room for Accy. The best part of the ground is the backdrop of the old mill houses. I had a look at half time, and despite the front of the houses facing the pitch, they do not have any path or road access. They are literally on the pitch, so I guess these days, their back doors are their front doors!

The game was pretty non descript really. Accy as expected had the better quality players. The 2nd half saw a pour down of rain leaving me drenched.

Bagman

Youth Team Regular
Toolstation Western League Premier Division

Keynsham Town (3) 3-1 (0) Cadbury Heath

Admission: £4 OAP
Programme: On Line
Attendance: 241

New Grounds : 2020/2021 =4
Last New Ground : Keynsham Town 15th September 2020

hemelhopper

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Hemel Hempstead Town; Trust Portsmouth FC and the Reds of Cincinnati
Wellington FC 4-1 Cirencester Town Development (Hellenic League, Division 1, West)
- played at Wellington Playing Fields, just off the A49 in Wellington from 7.45pm

Att – 51 (official); Entry - £5 and £1 the prog; Cuppa for a pound .. badge £3.
Weather – lovely calm evening with no breeze.
Travel – normal A34, M4, A417, A419, M5, M50 and the back roads to the north of Hereford in 3 hours (each way) .. three road blocks coming home.
Colours – Wellies in all blue .. young Centurions in red tops with black stripe and black shorts.

So a final trip out to Hereford .. the Bulls, Westfields, Pegasus and Lads all enjoyed .. and tonight, after reaching their car park to find a fogged off game last December, a return to see the Wellies, who brought a feast of goals and soundly won this fixture. Although the visitors did score first on 12 but the hosts took care of things once they got going, with goals on 16, 44, 61 and finally on 90.

A lovely pitch to play on .. the ground with two seated stands at opposite corners, a neat Clubhouse with kitchen hatch open .. good track and trace in place .. plenty of signage and parking .. yes, all in all, the Club is well set up and made the evening a very enjoyable trip .. thank you to all in (and around) Hereford .. a delight to visit you all, over the last three seasons.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks