Tuesday 14th September 2021.

The vulture

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Groundhog
Northern Premier League East Division @ Bracken Moor :
Stocksbridge Park Steels 2 Tadcaster Albion 0.
Entry £8
Att 154

This had 0-0 written all over it, not because it was poor (it wasn't), just the finishing was atrocious.

Plenty of chances in the opening half but the keepers hardly troubled. Tadcaster's best chance saw good build up play to create a 1 on 1 and the forward choking and tamely putting it straight at the keeper. For Stocksbridge just about the only effort on target was superbly headed over by a defender. HT 0-0.

The game swung on a call by the Referee after 57 mins, a coming together : a foul/obstruction/possible retaliation, hard to work out who was to blame and the Ref gave a straight red to a visitor.
Steels gained the upper hand and 2 goals in quick succession on 69 & 73 sealed a just about deserved 3 points.

The fog came in after the break getting pretty bad with about 20 to go, although that may have been deceptive, watching the last 5 minutes from behind the goal it appeared to be nowhere near as bad as when sat in the wonderful stand.

TheMortyVicker

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Gillingham
National League
Dagenham & Redbridge 4 Weymouth 2
Admission £15 Programme £3, Tea £1.50
Attendance 1,240 (50 visitors)

A highly impressive performance from the Daggers which suggested they are worthy of their place at the head of the table, despite a sloppy opening that saw them concede on six minutes.

The home side patiently worked their way back into game, lots of nice triangles and real quality on the flanks, both from open play and set pieces. They equalised through a close range header from a whipped corner, and then carelessly shipped a second goal from the penalty spot.

Dagenham controlled the second half, Myles Weston's pace and teasing crosses causing havoc. Skipper Will Wright drilled a low drive through a crowded penalty area for the second equaliser and then scored directly from a corner with 12 minutes remaining. Goal of the match was McCallum's diving header from yet another brilliant Weston centre which clinched the contest on 84 minutes.

The quality of play was significantly higher than a lot of the League One fayre I've witnessed this season. Dagenham will be real contenders if they can keep everyone fit and tighten the defensive wobbles that meant Weymouth remained dangerous on the break throughout the evening.

The only unimpressive part of the outing was the prospect of trundling almost the entire length of the District Line to get home to Twickenham. As it was, a brisk turn of pace and a couple of lucky connections got me home just after 11, about half an hour earlier than I expected.

LeedsPhil

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Leeds + groundhopping
Newport County 0 Northampton Town 1 (HT 0-1)
League Two (7.45)
Admission £22 (Bisley Stand seat)
Programme £2 (20pp)
Attendance 3,168 (161 away)
Didn’t bother looking for refreshments

I’m not sure how Newport failed to pick up a point from this low quality encounter. The Exiles, who looked very short on confidence for much of the game, failed to test Northampton keeper Liam Roberts with any one of four decent second half chances.

Wide man Robbie Wilmott went close twice. In the 62nd minute, he saw an 18-yarder deflected by a defender just over the crossbar then, two minutes later, when better placed and unpoliced, fired a low effort fractionally wide.

In the 77th minute, Cameron Norman headed straight at Roberts after being picked out by a cross from the left. Two minutes later, Timmy Abraham flung himself at a ball from the right, but succeeded only in diverting it past a post.

Northampton absolutely were no great shakes. Jon Guthrie, one of two tall lumps in the middle of the Cobblers’ defence (the pair won almost everything in the air), hammered home their winner from close range in the 44th minute. It followed a free-kick, floated in from the right, conceded by Aneurin Livermore, who struggled to cope with a poor pass. Newport failed to clear and the ball fell kindly for an unmarked Guthrie.

In the 66th minute, home keeper Joe Day reacted superbly to claw away an eight-yard Nicke Kabamba header. Having collided with Kabamba, Newport’s Scot Bennett was stretchered off with what appeared to be a serious injury. The delay for treatment and removal led to 12 minutes of stoppage time.

The first half was terrible. Thankfully, the spectacle bucked up after the break.

This was my second visit to Rodney Parade. The ground has been modernised on three sides since I watched Newport’s kick-and-clap team 20-odd years ago.

The all-seat Bisley Stand occupies the site of the covered terrace from which I spectated previously. The stand opposite, traditional in layout, with a standing paddock in front of a single seating tier, is a venerable structure. The most impressive element of Rodney Parade is its part grass, part plastic pitch, laid over the summer.

Looks very much like the football club are the junior partner in a fraught sharing arrangement,

Good conversation with the bloke sitting next to me. He’d followed County since 1959. Interesting to learn he married a Cardiff lass, who insisted they live in the Welsh capital. “I’m a Newport boy,” he said, “but I’m ashamed of the place. It’s a dump now.” The Northampton fans agreed.

The 20-mile journey back to our holiday HQ near Govilon managed to feature two diversions: an A4042 closure resulted in a trip through unlovely Cwmbran (how many roundabouts?); the second, for an entirely predictable A465 closure, meant describing a tortuous circuit through rather prettier Abergavenny.

Gwent Premier League, Premier Division stuff for me tomorrow evening - at either Blaenavon Blues or Wattsville. Best take a torch.
Also at this.
My folks had returned from their holiday home to join us at their house, therefore I took advantage of their 'babysitting' of the lad, to make the trek from Leeds to finally get Rodney Parade done.
I only ordered the ticket at lunchtime but still got a prime spot on the front row of the central block of seating above the terrace in the indeed venerable Compeed stand. Uprights are a bit of a nuisance though. Same £22 as you paid on the opposite side.
The pitch was so perfect that it was only at HT when the groundsmen were actually forking some divots that I realized it wasn't a 3G carpet. Perhaps the rugby season hasn't started yet.
The access concourse beneath had two bars of fizz, plus a food bar. No pies, the equivalent was pasties, proving that this is the South West !
£5 for a bacon cheeseburger. Walking out past there at the end they had loads left, and were knocking them out at £2, then as the crowd thinned the price dropped to £1, and eventually they were giving them away! Lots of hot dogs left, unappealing even when free.

I had set off at 2pm for the '3-&-a-half hours' journey. Glad I factored in that much since taking over an hour to do one mile of the M42 near the NEC was an utter pain - a massive load had crashed, squeezing us all into one lane to get past. So no time for sightseeing or any 'refreshment' pauses, just get parked up and go collect the ticket.
The streets immediately by the stadium are a bit run down, and understandably residents only. I tried on the other side of the railway line, where there were spaces, but oof! Even more shabby of a neighbourhood - white poverty, including some living in caravans. One in black with large Motörhead gothic font Iabelled "Motörhome" ha ha!, very good! I didn't expect the car to still be there post-match though if parking on those streets - lots of shattered car glass about. So back across to the run-down residential area by the stadium, the railway line dividing the white poor from the immigrant poor, and excuse my positive discrimination but I felt that despite their own poverty that South-Asian-heritage community would be more likely to be respectful of other people's property, so least likely to nick / break into the car. I eventually found a street that wasn't residents only, and parked outside a terraced house that had been turned into a mosque. The car was indeed untouched when I eventually returned to it at ten past 10 - "a minimum of 12 minutes" had been the longest added time that I have ever experienced.
With such a late start back, I could have done without the hassle of the M42 being closed, so it had to be up the M5 side of Brum and across the top on the M6, coming off at spaghetti junction for the A38 way back to the M1. But that too was shut, just before Burton-on-Trent. Oh come on! You can't shut both the M42 and the A38 at the same time! How am I supposed to get from SW to NE?! So a convoy was snaking its way along narrow country roads around the back of Burton well after midnight, before being able to get back on to the A38 further up. So not 'home' in Leeds until 2am.
Glad I got this one done though, and am getting a bit nearer to recompleting the 92, which I have allowed to lapse.

The Forester

Junior Team Regular
ARNOLD TOWN 1 HOLBROOK St MICHAELS 2
EAGLE VALLEY
CENTRAL MIDLANDS FOOTBALL LEAGUE PREMIER SOUTH DIVISION
ADMISSION £3 CONCESSION*
ATT: 40**

I felt that three pounds was a tad excessive upon reflection. Not that I object to paying three pounds admission for a non-league football match. it is more of a comparative thing. Handsworth and Staveley MW, both two levels above Step 7 Arnold Town in the NCEL Prem charge concessionary admission prices of £3 and £2 respectively and Staveley only charge a pound more for full price admission to watch Step 5 footy.

** I actually counted 48 people around the pitch. These included the guy on the turnstiles and a couple of other obvious functionaries, plus there were quite a few young men with wearing tracksuit bottoms and rain proof tops with the Arnold Town logo on the chest so I am guessing that they were non-playing squad members.

I thought this was going to be a high scoring game when St Michaels scored in the third minute direct from a free kick outside the right hand side of the penalty area and continued to dominate. This never happened and after surviving the first half hour or so, Arnold started to come back into the game. The equaliser came in the 60th minute when the ball was crossed in from the right and ended up in the goal,

Holbrook got the winner five minutes from the end of the 90, although there were five or six minutes time added. Sadly I actually missed the goal as I was making my way towards the exit ready for the sprint to the car park at the final whistle when it was scored and wasn't looking in the right direction.

Windy

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Required
1.0 - UEFA Youth League - Chelsea 3 Zenit 1 - Admission free (behind closed doors) - Teamsheet online - Attendance approx 150 (played at the training ground in Cobham)

7.45 - Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division - Risborough Rangers 3 Ardley United 2 - Admission £7 - Programme online (free 4 page insert given out with admission) - Attendance 104

First week of the UEFA Youth League and a visit to Chelsea’s training ground where a complimentary ticket was arranged for me. The public sadly aren’t allowed in to matches there. Zenit took the lead against the run of play just after the half hour when Evgeng Kim beat two before unleashing an excellent low shot into the right corner from just outside the area.

Chelsea equalised on 52 minutes when a corner wasn’t cleared and Charlie Webster capitalised to rifle the ball home from 8 yards out. On 67 minutes, Artem Kasimov brought Jude Soonsup Bell down in the area, received a red card for being the last man, and Harvey Vale put the penalty down the middle to make it 2-1. Vale then set up Soonsup Bell to make it 3-1, before Joe Haigh was fouled by Aleksandr Sandrachuk in the box and the referee pointed to the spot again. Haigh wanted to take the penalty but Vale took the ball off of him and proceeded to send his spot kick high over the bar.

Choices for the evening and my original decision was to see the FA Vase match between Melton Town and West Bridgford until I spotted that the match was being played in Nottingham, although I haven’t seen the reason why the venue was switched. Instead I chose to go to Princes Risborough, which again was a new ground for me. They have a programme online but give out a four page supplement which covers the fixtures, squads and league tables. It’s exactly what I, and many others, have said that clubs should print if they can’t be bothered to print a full programme so full marks to Risborough Rangers.

The match was lively. It started off at a good pace with three goals in the first 15 minutes. Ardley took the lead after 2 minutes with a cracker from the much travelled Elliott Osbourne-Ricketts from the edge of the area which flew into the top right corner. Rangers were soon on level terms when a run down the left was pulled back to Adam Morris to equalise and they were soon ahead when a Morris corner found the unmarked Josh Urquhart whose header seemed to go through the visiting keeper.

Ardley got back on level terms on 69 minutes when Anachet Odhiambo scrambled the ball home but Rangers soon won a penalty when keeper Freddie Lapworth sliced a clearance and in trying to retrieve the situation, he bundled over Marcus Wyllie, who got up and sent the keeper the wrong way from the spot to get the winner.

Henfield Bee

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Brentford
Sheppey United (2) 4 Lordswood 0 - SCEL Prem - admission £7 prog £1 - att 292

Impressed with the set up here on the island. 2 bars, cover on 3 sides, perfect 3g playing surface and a good crowd in to watch the joint league leaders. It was an easy home win although the Ites spurned a host of 2nd half chances until two late goals made the scoreline more realistic. Good atmosphere throughout.
Parking was supervised and they crammed as many cars in the smallish car park as possible resulting in a 10 minute delay in leaving. C

gcnc

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Newport County
Also at this.

The streets immediately by the stadium are a bit run down, and understandably residents only. I tried on the other side of the railway line, where there were spaces, but oof! Even more shabby of a neighbourhood - white poverty, including some living in caravans. One in black with large Motörhead gothic font Iabelled "Motörhome" ha ha!, very good! I didn't expect the car to still be there post-match though if parking on those streets - lots of shattered car glass about.
Although you are correct in your description of the far from salubrious nature of the surrounding area at Rodney Parade, it's probably good to point out that the area you describe on the other side of the railway line is where I always park and have done ever since County have been at RP. Never so much as a scratch!

HampshireLad

Junior Team Star
SCEFL Div 1
Meridian VP FC 3 FC Elmstead 2
Adm £6 paper prog available £2.50 HC31
Half decent game played at a ridiculously erratic pace. It bewilders me that players don't for once, stop and put their foot on the ball, even if just for a split second to assess their next pass, just moving it on to anyone and anywhere seems to suffice.

The Sports Club has a pay car park. £1 from 16:00(?) to 23:59, the social club was busy upstairs with a kids karate session and the 3G was busy all evening. The football team must come way down the pecking order of importances and income for the site.

Nice enough ground, big trees along one side, hardstanding-ish all around and an adequate atcost seated stand.

Tales From The Riverbank3

Junior Team Star
.....On an evening where there was too much choice (a 'tick' at Risborough Rangers was considered), however as is so often the case, w*rk intervened narrowing the choices and ended up just a few miles down the A13 at....

East Thurrock United 1 v 1 Folkestone Invicta - Isthmian League Premier Division
Prog 40 pages £2.00 - Admission £12.00 - Att. 232

....Reasonable contest which Folkestone largely controlled but in a frantic and ETU dominated final few minutes were very fortunate to retain what is now after Kingstonian's reverse at Wingate & Finchley is the only unbeaten record in the ILP.

Arrived after a leisurely but humid walk from Stanford Le Hope station to the final minutes of daylight, however it was not long before the mist started to form eerily on the pitch and at the start with it being very difficult to see the far side there were doubts as to whether the contest would be concluded. As is so often the case though with mist it had almost disappeared entirely by half time.

Through the early murky conditions, ETU had the better of the early play and were unfortunate not to take a first few minutes lead when Johnny Ashman's drive came back off the far post with Tim Roberts in the Folkestone goal rooted to the spot. Roberts though showed more of a reaction coming swiftly off his line to thwart the advancing Ashman soon after.

After the initial ETU early burst, it was only a matter of minutes before the visitors asserted themselves in midfield and started to dominate proceedings. The impressive David Smith nearly gave Folkestone the lead but saw his shot curl the wrong way around the post and then a low cross from Alfie Paxman on the left seeing Ashman completely slice an attempted clearance far too close to his own net and no doubt he was relieved to see that the ball ended up travelling high over the angle for a corner. Soon after an angled shot from Jordan Wright struck the metal surrounds of the perimeter fence giving the illusion through the mist and murk that the shot had struck the post. Just before half time the visitors took what was at the time a deserved lead with Paxman locating space on the left enabling him to send a low cross into the middle and Smith was able to emphatically side foot past Chiedozie Nwoso from a distance of six yards.

During a thankfully mist free second period, Folkestone were largely in the ascendancy but their possession failed to translate into many opportunities to double the advantage and given the nature of the contest ensure the three points. Decent rising shot from Smith with minimal backlift which just cleared the bar, but the chance that I am sure that the visitors were ruing not converting arrived with Smith unselfishly laying off to the better positioned Paxman, clear that the latter was aiming for the far corner but the choice of angle was awry and the effort missed it's intended target by some distance.

There was little threat from ETU during the second half, a well placed free kick from Alex Hernandez resulted in a relatively straightforward push over the bar by Roberts. However, with a matter of minutes remaining a low cross from Callum Robinson picked out Hernandez who in a similar fashion to Smith's earlier goal sidefooted into the net and this was the incentive for a frantic last few minutes in which ETU could easily have gained a dramatic winner. Hernandez lofting over Roberts struck the bar and then had a further shot which came off Roberts' thigh and narrowly over the bar. With a further shot this time from Robinson heading just inside the far post taking the slightest of deflections wide, it was clearly a sense of relief that the visitors heard the final whistle and a case of what the outcome had been if ETU had generated their response earlier.

Of all the local venue's personally I find Rookery Hill the most homely situated very close to a number of listed buildings around the old centre of Corringham village, near the picturesque St Marys Church and also near the equally picturesque Bull pub, though in past visits the ale range from a hostelry that advertises ale on its website and outside the choice is very much limited to the likes of London Pride and Doombar.. Plenty of cover with three seated stands - though the two on the far side are off centre and rarely frequented by spectators.

Suitable return trip after the long walk back between Corringham and Stanford Le Hope and indoors at 22.57...

Wiretown.Editor

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
Warrington Town 2 Buxton 2
Pitching In NPL Premier Division
Admission pass, prog £2
Refreshments available
Att. 417

Cracking game from the start. Jordan Buckley finished brilliantly to give Town a lead. Buxton levelled with another good finish even if he did look well offside. Buxton looked sharp but Town defended really well. HT 1-1

The second half was end to end and Town went 2-1 up with a goal of the season contender. Check it out on social media if you can when it goes up. JB controlled the ball near half way and turned to beat the defence. He ran thirty yards, cut inside to wrong foot the last defender and drilled a shot to the bottom left corner. Town missed three or four easier chances and Buxton had one headed off the line. The equaliser came in the seventh minute of added time when a shot was deflected in off Mitch Duggan. A shame as he had played really well. Almost certainly Town's best performance of the season. Highly entertaining.
Buxton looked a really decent side but very much got away with one here. Ominously South Shields cruised to another win and what about Matlock Town 9 Witton Albion 0. Some interesting results in the NPL that evening.

1631692061481.png

Stoodley Pike

Reserve Team Star
If it makes any difference I went to BB two weeks ago and they do a free printed programme, you need to ask at the bar in the clubhouse. And yes, take a torch, it was a 6.15 ko and dark by the end. Gawd knows what time they will need to start now to finish in daylight.
At Pentwynmawr last Tuesday, it was pretty murky by the final whistle. That one started at 6.17.

I see Pill YM are asking their players to get to Wattsville for 5.0 this evening. I guess that might kick off before the advertised 6.0 start.

LeedsPhil

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Leeds + groundhopping
Although you are correct in your description of the far from salubrious nature of the surrounding area at Rodney Parade, it's probably good to point out that the area you describe on the other side of the railway line is where I always park and have done ever since County have been at RP. Never so much as a scratch!
Thanks @gcnc , that's reassuring to hear. It was the tell-tale broken car window glass that put me off - evidence that others have not been as lucky.

Bigaitch

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
None in particular
Sutton United 1 Hartlepool United 0
Football League 2, Att : 2,484 (251 in the visitors section)
Admission £20 standing Programme £3 for 52 pages that was a little heavy on ads but okay.

This was not a bad game between the two promoted sides from the VNL and it is a surprise it was only the one goal. Sutton dominated the first half but only had the one strike to show for their efforts whilst Hartlepool unsurprisingly made a go of it in the last half hour but were unable to make the breakthrough. The only goal came from a corner on 25 minutes that was bundled home by Goodliffe at the back post after visiting keeper Killip came for the cross and got nowhere near it. The corner came about after Killip made a very good save to keep out a looping effort. For all their dominance Sutton seemed to lack something up front and were almost made to pay near half time when captain Eastmond demonstrated the value of having a defender on the line for a corner. The second half saw Sutton enjoy decent possession without ever really looking like threatening whilst at the other end home keeper Bouzanis made two very good saves and visiting defender Sterry saw a late header flash wide. In the end however I think it would have been slightly harsh on Sutton had they not taken the three points.
I was very grateful to referee Mr Hooper, who started the game a minute early by my and others around watches, and a sensible amount of stoppage time allowed me to comfortably make the 2152 from West Sutton station.
This was a first visit to Gander Green Lane / Borough Sports Ground / VBS Community Stadium since 1987 and it has changed a bit since then albeit not too drastically. Both ends are now squared off and have cover albeit the home end is still some distance from the pitch and I stood on the terrace next to the stand at the Gander Green Lane end. The view was okay is, albeit slightly back and the terrace is not raised massively, it seemed the best option. However just as the second half started the heavens opened (Contrary to the forecast - one day I will learn) and I got soaked. The amount of cover at the ground was never going to cater for everyone so many of us just suffered it including one bloke in shorts! One ingenious chap watched the game from the gents as there was a window by the basins - top marks for ingenuity.
It was strange walking up to the ground from the nearby station just over an hour before kick off. It seemed there were very few folk about and it did not really feel as though a FL match was about to take place. However a reasonable crowd had assembled by the start and kudos to the visitors for their turnout.
Interestingly (Or maybe not!) I think this was the first time I had seen brown worn in a league match since seeing Coventry in their much maligned kit of that colour in the early 80s.
Journey home was good, bumping into an old work colleague I had not seen in over 20 years and also finding out I was no longer part of a record. In 1986 I was one of 741 supporters who saw Orient lose to Brentford in the LDV, which was the clubs lowest ever crowd. Last night 107 fewer turned up watch Southampton U21...
Connections all good and in before midnight.

Barnsley Dave

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Barnsley, Yorkshire CCC, Non-league in general
Hayes and Yeading Utd 1 Kings Langley 0 Southern League Premier South
Admission £6 old codgers rate
Programme £2.50 32 pages
Attendance 206
50/50 draw 3 tickets for £2.50 saving 50p on the £1 cost as it was programme and 3 tickets for a fiver. Was 30 out numbers wise from winning £105 so no joy there
Cheeseburger £3 Can of coke £1 free hot dogs available 10 mins from time as man walking round the pitch to save throwing food away and offering them to anyone who wanted one
Didn't seem like a top v bottom game as KL played their part in an entertaining game decided by a 30 yard bottom left hand corner shot directly after half time
Only here as there were a couple of issues on the A40/A4127 and after a torrid day at work decided for the easy option at Hayes, arriving just after 6pm reading my book and listening to Classic FM rather than heading to Rayners Lane for the Broadfields game
Home just after 10pm and counting down the days to October 8th retirement date

Gills

Junior Team Starter
ARNOLD TOWN 1 HOLBROOK St MICHAELS 2
EAGLE VALLEY
CENTRAL MIDLANDS FOOTBALL LEAGUE PREMIER SOUTH DIVISION
ADMISSION £3 CONCESSION*
ATT: 40**

I felt that three pounds was a tad excessive upon reflection. Not that I object to paying three pounds admission for a non-league football match. it is more of a comparative thing. Handsworth and Staveley MW, both two levels above Step 7 Arnold Town in the NCEL Prem charge concessionary admission prices of £3 and £2 respectively and Staveley only charge a pound more for full price admission to watch Step 5 footy.

** I actually counted 48 people around the pitch. These included the guy on the turnstiles and a couple of other obvious functionaries, plus there were quite a few young men with wearing tracksuit bottoms and rain proof tops with the Arnold Town logo on the chest so I am guessing that they were non-playing squad members.

I thought this was going to be a high scoring game when St Michaels scored in the third minute direct from a free kick outside the right hand side of the penalty area and continued to dominate. This never happened and after surviving the first half hour or so, Arnold started to come back into the game. The equaliser came in the 60th minute when the ball was crossed in from the right and ended up in the goal,

Holbrook got the winner five minutes from the end of the 90, although there were five or six minutes time added. Sadly I actually missed the goal as I was making my way towards the exit ready for the sprint to the car park at the final whistle when it was scored and wasn't looking in the right direction.
Also at this one after arriving at Gedling M W v Belper Utd which was called off at 18.45 due to a waterlogged pitch.
Decent programme for a £1. The goal you missed was a really fine effort by the No 10 I think it was who chipped the keeper from distance.
The chap on the gate sold me his badge for £3 which was decent of him.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Western League Division One
Gillingham Town 1-1 Wells City
Admission £5. Programme £2. Attendance: 97
Pie £2.50, Tea £1.50

A good day out this, with some decent football in the second half leaving Wells to wonder how they did not come to take all three points. Perhaps a bit more concentration on hitting the targets and a bit less on appealing to the officials would help

The original meet was with Minion and the Pizzaman (my boy's designations) at Hillingdon Station. I arrived almost exactly at the appointed time, so did not have the chance to go into the Swallow and get a pint there. If I had done, it would have been my first (at that pub) since I have been legally allowed to drink. The pub being close to where I went to school, but not the first choice of pupils for underage drinking. Not sure if that made it a choice of the teachers?

A generally straight forward run down to Gillingam, so we parked up in the town centre, next to a postbox with a knitted paralympic styled hat
20210914_170421 m.jpg

Time for two beers, one in each of the pubs within site. At the second pub, The Phoenix, I had a pint of Hattie Brown's Swanage Nut Brown - delicious. The programme notes say that The Phoenix was the meeting place when the club was initially established in 1879. It does not say what the founders were drinking

We then made our way to the ground, Woodwater Lane is barely more than a track as it goes past the old ground, still very much in situ and I believe usable (artistic impression by using a camera phone without sufficient zoom for a close up, when I had more suitable equipment in my bag)
20210914_185306 m.jpg

The new ground is about par for the course, a couple of modular stands, one seated (with viewing blocked by the away team bench), one standing (behind the goal). The rest of the buildings, all of which have a temporary feeling to them are all on the same side. I suspect little will have changed if I go back in five years.

20210914_190211 m.jpg

P1110104 m.JPG

The game was a little sterile in the first half as neither team were making the most of their opportunities. Gillingham managed to take a lead, just a few minutes before the break with Aaron Rodriguez scoring the goal - a brilliantly taken free kick that the keeper got fingers to, but could not keep out. The second was really very good, with a lot of chances at both ends and both sides hitting the post early. Wells, which had been blasting the ball wide and/or high of the goal in the first half were now forcing saves from the keeper, and appeared to be the better side - but they could not make it count. Gillingham had enough chances to have made it save before Wells finally got the equaliser, through Charlie Crook in the 74th minute.

Still, plenty of football played in the final quarter hour, and it was almost a surprise that neither side added to their tally.

P1110102 m.JPG

I think three more car loads of hoppers were there, mainly coming down the A303 from the East. This allowed me the chance to blag a ride to Wales for the Wednesday and a Gwent League match, probably, but not certainly at Llanhileth. When I mentioned this on the way back, Pizzaman asked how I pronounced that. I replied "badly".

So it looks like I will follow my visit to complete the Western League with my first match in division two of the Gwent County League

prorege

First Team Starter
Team{s}
Fife clubs
SPFL League One
Airdrieonians v Alloa Athletic, 2-1, H.T. 1-0, Att c.650, Admission £18, No Programme issued
At the Penny Cars Stadium

I realised that despite having been to this ground at least once a season, I hadn’t seen an Airdrie home game since 2007. Long overdue another look at them . . . and the chance to see how Alloa are shaping up under the mismanagement of Barry Ferguson also appealed.

Waysiders: Max Currie, Rico Quitongo, Callum Fordyce, Rhys McCabe, Craig Watson, Scott Agnew, Dylan Easton, Adam Frizzell, Gabby McGill (Sub Rhys Caves), Calum Gallagher (Sub Kalim Ouider-Assa)
Wasps: David Hutton, Scott Taggert, Jon Robertson, Fernandy Mendy, Kevin Cawley (Sub Daniel Church), Stefan Scougall (Sub Andy Graham), Adam King, Mouhamed Niang (Sub Connor Sammon), Euan Henderson, Steven Boyd.
Ref: Chris Foryce

Airdrie names to note include Rico Quitongo, son of Jose, and Adam Frizzell, formerly of Killie. Alloa included former Kelty player Fernandy Mendy, a Guinea Bissau internationalist and had Irish striker Connor Sammon on the bench. Bazza and Big Boab the Bigot seem to be in the process of clearing out the long-serving Alloa players which is very much their style – they don’t seem to like folk that have been at the club longer than them.

Everyone is accommodated in the main stand with home fans at the north end and away fans towards the south end. Hard to tell how many Waspies were through – but there was a reasonable cheer when they scored. Airdrie’s fans are a miserable bunch – a high proportion of older folk and not much in the way of vocal support for the team. The bloke behind me fancied himself as a comedian. I didn’t.

League One is really open this year. Literally anybody could win it with the possible exception of East Fife who are gash. Traditionally Airdrie should be a Championship level side but decades of mismanagement see them in League One. Of course they are not really Airdrie, they are Clydebank, but that’s another story.

The first half saw Alloa play a typical; Barry Ferguson game. Interminable passing sideways and backwards with sod all incision up front. Airdrie were sharper going forward and fully deserved their half time lead which came courtesy of a 12th minute Callum Gallagher header.

When Adam Frizzell unleashed an arseholewinder to make it 2-0 in 51 minutes it appeared to be that Alloa’s goose was cooked. Credit to Barry this time, as he made a tactical switch and a double substitution that paid dividends. Within minutes of entering the fray big Connor Sammon worked an opening for himself and placed a brilliant shot into the corner of the net. Alloa pressed high and Airdrie were restricted to quick breaks. It made for entertaining viewing although I’m sceptical of whether it was worth £18 or not.

Add in £2 to park the car and I was very glad that Airdrie don’t do programmes these days - £20 + pie money is more than enough to give to the North Lanarkshire Diamonds. Airdrie have tried monthly programmes and match by match programmes but sales were poor whatever format they tried. They don’t bother with a digital edition.

A draw might have been a fair result but if either team was going to win then it was fir enough that it was Airdrie. Alloa’s first half performance was disappointing.

Green Onions

Junior Team Star
AFC Portchester 5 Laverstock & Ford 2 Att 103
Admission £7 including programme.

An entertaining Wessex League Cup tie with the hosts comfortably winning their way into the last 16 and a trip to Hamble Club or AFC Stoneham.

Portchester dominated from the start and were 2-0 ahead as early as the 8th minute. The goals were of high quality but the stand out effort was from Kieran Roberts with a superb shot from outside the area after 30 minutes. This was his 13th goal in 11 games this season. Credit due to Laverstock & Ford who did not throw in the towel against their opponents from a higher division and were rewarded by ‘drawing’ the second half 2-2.

Mention must be made of the excellent 28 page programme titled ‘Royals Mail’ which is available online as well as in printed format at the ground. Teamsheets were also freely available to supporters.

Pawn Of Prophecy

Reserve Team Sub
Isthmian Division 1 South Central

Chertsey Town 6 Chalfont St. Peter 1

Attendance - 290. Entry - £7 (conc). Wethaer - cloudy but dry.

CSP took the lead on 7 after a horrendous defensive bloomer where the Chertsey keeper and defender left it for each other and CSP no.11 nipped in to score. CT didn't panic and responded by scoring on 9, 12 ( a great strike from Baxter) and 20 to take a decisive lead. They added a fourth on 58 through Abisogun ( his fourth in 4 games) and then two more at the end - 87 and 90+2, the latter a penalty.

Score was a bit harsh on CSP as they contributed to the match and weren't 5 goals inferior, but it's goals wot count. My last two visits to Alwyns Lane have seen Chertsey win 8-1 and 7-2. Perhaps I ought to go more often.

Dribble!

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Ipswich Town
A drive down to Portman Rd. KO 7.45pm.

Papa Johns Trophy. Southern Group A.

Scorers.

Home. J Norwood (2)

Away. K Appiah-Forson (12) A Okoflex (89pen)

Admission £10. Free for season ticket holders. Programme £2. Attendance 4231. Away Fans 150.
also at Ipswich Town- West Ham game - Not looking great for Cook - can't buy a win at the moment

Some comedy goalkeeping and a poor ref did not help the team

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks