Digdagdog

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Lancashire CCC, Wigan Warriors
EFL Youth Alliance South West
Hillside Gardens, UWE
Bristol Rovers U18 0 Swindon Town U18 4
F&N Attendance: 23 (h/c)

My new employment status (own business) means working when I have work and when I don't...watch football. Today I was faced with the prospect of non-fee earning paperwork in the office, but opening my Twitter feed at breakfast I spotted that the Town youth were away to Rovers at 11am on the 3G at Hillside Gardens (where many have been to see Rockleaze Rangers play); too good an opportunity to get a new tick. Into the car...
The game was a cracker despite the efforts of Brendan..having seen a creditable effort by Town on Saturday, they were more impressive today. Rovers looked a young side and a bit lightweight; their U23 side had a game at Stanely Park in Chippenham away to FGR at 1300 in the Central League so maybe they were stretched a little thin?
No matter, Town played some good stuff against the wind in the first half and were rewarded with a volleyed finish by Case on 11 from a cross that held up in the wind. Town were untroubled by Rovers; although Parsons should have had a goal for Town on 33 when clean through but the home keeper made a fingertip save to push the final touch onto a post and round. HT 0-1.
With the wind, Town were even more dominant. On 48, Holland cut in from the right and eased a placed shot into the top corner. This was followed on 55 with a free-kick on the left, bent skilfully to the egde of the 6yd box and Parsons beat everyone to it to toe poke it home. Rovers had one chance, on a through ball, but this was smothered well. The scoring was completed on 70 by Holland, once again cutting in and hitting a curler into the net from 20yds.
A bitterly cold day; with horizontal rain for most of it. Glad I went, as even by the time I type this all my WL options for tonight have been chalked off.

Dr Love

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Halifax Town
Windsor 0-3 Flackwell Heath
Hellenic Premier

Decided this was the best chance of seeing anything on grass this evening, plus close enough to Bedfont to divert should their be a problem here. As usual there wasn't any problem with the pitch, which coped very well with the rain. It was rather windy, though the two teams served up a reasonable contest. It was Windsor's poor form in front of goal which cost them as they probably did have more chances throughout the 90 minutes. First half with the win behind them, it was the hosts who started brightly, but many efforts were well over the bar, and corners generally hit long with no-one coming in to the back post. Flackwell got into the game as the half wore on, and had one chance put wide to open the scoring. Windsor came closest rattling the underside of the bar just before half time. Flackwell opened the scoring within two minutes of the restart, and goals in the 90th and 92nd minutes sealed the win. Windsor seemed to struggle to actually get shots in from near the edge of the box, and giving time for defenders to get back.

The usual outside tea bar was closed (it wouldn't have been suitable with the hatch facing into the wind, a rare opening of the one inside instead. No changes to the ground, and it's still a good place to visit and very reliable.

stingray

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Step 4 - 6 local football
South Midlands Premier
CRAWLEY GREEN 2-2 WEMBLEY
Admission £6.00 Prog sold out on gate, but managed to snaffle an insert from the bunker while getting my second-half cuppa
Tea, Coffee £1.00 each
Attendance 43 (all under cover, natch.)

Maybe it's just me but every time I pencil in a Crawley Green game, the weather decides to turn nasty even though the game is almost always guaranteed to happen. In addition, there was no parking for us humble plebs so we got nice and wet walking back to the ground.

Anyway, first blood to Wembley after only four minutes when the home keeper gathered the ball (or so he thought) only for it to slip out of his hands into the path of a Wembley player who seized his chance with alacrity. Midway through the first half, Crawley Green did equalise, only for Wembley to retake the lead while I was in the Bunker getting my tea. No worries - a direct free kick on the edge of the area was parried and eventually bundled in to ensure that honours were even.

Further to my previous post on here which appears to have ignited a debate on the General section, I should point out that tonight's equivalents (who were independent of each other) were accompanied by adults, sat in the stand, were no trouble at all and appeared to pay attention. Which is how it should be as they might learn something if they ever aspire to play for either of tonight's teams.

Finally, whatever opinions one may have on artificial/plastic/3G/4G/5G pitches, they don't half save a fortune on laundry bills.

Wiretown.Editor

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
Cheshire Senior Cup Second Round
Sandbach United 1 Warrington Town 4 (switched from Warrington)
Admission pass, was £5, prog £2
Bar open, hot food and drink on sale
Att. 76

Town fielded seven with first team experience in this, those being newcomers or players returning from injury and suspension. They started slowly though and SU looked more up for it in the early stages, and indeed took the lead with a well worked passing move. Town levelled right on half time and led within two minutes of the restart, enforcing their prescence on the hosts. It soon became three and from thereon was end to end but only Town added to the tally as the academy players replaced the semi regulars. All in all a good game to watch.

Post match saw a call in at The George (Spoons) in town and The White Bear in Middlewich. Plenty of ale choice in both and all seemed in fine form.

Good to come out of a county cup tie with a win too.

Tales From The Riverbank

Junior Team Hopeful
....Circa 16.00 Tuesday and there is no way that I am going to spend the evening playing the Storm Brendan PP Lottery, therefore time to make a departure and head once again in the direction of 4g certainty (37:112) for a wind buffeted contest between....

Maidstone United 1 v 1 Hemel Hempstead Town - Conference Division 1 South
Prog 36 pages £2.00 - donated 30p for a teamsheet - Admission £15.00 - Att 1278

Something never seen before was the stewards in front of the stand had rolls of heavy duty paper towel and were on request giving wads to those sitting down to wipe down their seats.

....As stated in a previous posting, 4g pitches do save on the laundry bills and they are a godsend for those of us who are intent on seeing a game, but when the wind is ferociously blowing west to east then it can make for a very predictable contest, This was especially the case here with either team dominating the half when they had the gusts to their back.

First half was when HHT had the wind advantage and of course helped along the way by a number of clearances from defenders/Chris Lewington (Maidstone keeper) which were punted upwards and then were taken by the blow far far away from the intended destination. The hosts also conceded a number of fouls in and around the penalty area and the free kicks taken by Jake Howells proved problematic to deal with and one took a thick outside edge off of Lewis Knight and it needed a spectacular clearance over the bar from Gaving Hoyte to prevent an oggie.

Playing into the wind was proving to be a difficult task but Zihni Temelici strode purposefully forward for Maidstone and was met by a non challenging defence, pity that the shot veered off target and was made worse by the wind. However, with most of the play in the Maidstone half, there was little surprise when HHT took the lead when another free kick was conceded twenty yards out and Sam Ashford curled on over the wall nestling perfectly in the corner far beyond the reach of Lewington. Almost certainly the only shot of the first half that was not wind assisted.

With the wind n' rain in Maidstone's favour there was a predictability about the second half apart from a rare Hemel attack early in the half when Isaac Galliford was the recipient of some lax home defending and his angled drive, which from this angle was heading for the far corner was touched wide by Lewington. As was the case in the first half you had to question the rationale of some of the players actions especially when Sam Beasant attempted an early second half drop kick of the type that would normally reach the half way line at least, but on this occasion blew upwards and then sideways ending up out of play twenty five yards from the byline. On the plus side, Beasant had a very good second half with a succession of important saves from he likes of Justin Amulazor x 2, Dan Wishart and Ibby Akanbi. Another flying save from Beasant from Temelici resulted in a corner which was launched into the area by Noah Chesmain and was met by a firm George Elokabi header which found the net just under the bar and just over Rob Sinclair's attempt to head clear.

Maidstone continued to press forward in the latter stages but a massed HHT defence was effective in slowing the pace of the contest down meaning that the hosts had to rely more on wind assisted strikes from distance, though one such effort from Ross Marshall skidded off the surface and was narrowly wide of the far post. Overall given the teams respective positions in the division and the way that the wind completely dominated proceedings, it would have been unwise at 19.45 to predict any other outcome but a sharing of the points.

The Gallagher Stadium is one that is only rarely on the midweek agenda, virtually always when weather conditions eliminate other choices, the stand has been extended meaning that unlike a couple of previous trips when seating was only available for season ticket holders only, there was more space. Predictably, it was a lower than expected crowd, however the attendance was healthy for such a foul evening and the fact that in terms of new(ish) builds it is situated so close to the town centre does help with the logistics of travel.

Quick pre and post match sojourns to the equally conveniently situated Society Rooms (JDW) for a very palatable Mary Jane from the Ilkley Brewery stable and remarkable given the prevailing conditions that every train whether it be from London Victoria to Maidstone East or in the reverse direction or the Liverpool Street to Grays leg ran to time. Indoors at a very damp RM17 at 00.33...

Mark

Ball Boy / Girl
Tottenham Hotspur 2-1 Middlesbrough
FA Cup 3rd round
Attendance: 49,202
Admission: £20
Prog: Think it was £3.50

No problem getting a ticket for this one - on general sale, didn't need to be a member etc. All seats behind the goals and in the corners appeared to be £20, although every seat along the side that I looked at seemed to be pushing on for £150!

A watchable game, helped by Boro's late goal and by comparing the execution levels of the passy-feely game attempted by both teams, this approach directly leading to the visitor's going behind in the second minute when their keeper made a right pig's backside of a pass that was never on.

For games such as this, my usual approach would be to park in a pleasant area about 30 minutes from the ground and walk in. Not a problem at West Ham, Reading etc which also have substantial matchday exclusion zones for parking. In Tottenham's case, the surrounding areas didn't look particularly inviting and I didn't want to be walking through unfamiliar, high crime areas late at night, so I parked in Ponders End - free street parking and not far from the M25 - and caught one of the regular buses going directly south to the ground. The return journey was a bit more tricky as some buses are re-routed away from the ground, but a swift exit from the ground meant I was in the car less than half an hour after the final whistle.

As for the ground, IMO it's the best new build amongst UK professional teams in the last 30 years, and certainly better than Wembley. Simple things, most notably keeping spectators close to the pitch, have been addressed here and suggest that the architects either listened to fans or may even be regular fans themselves. I was in the upper tier in the north stand and felt much closer to the action than at comparable new grounds. Three sides of the ground comprise 3 overhanging tiers - large lower & upper tiers with a smaller middle (corporate?) tier that is quite common at US venues, while the south end is an impressive, single tier that adds a sense of scale, though of course would be even more impressive if it were a terrace. Things like sweeping curves, the cockerel on the roof and plenty of leg room all add very positively to the design.

There were 3 levels of checks on the way into the ground, none of which were time-consuming; friendly staff inside the ground; and no cash payments once inside the ground, but you can use cashless payment with debit/credit cards for progs and food & drink; the latter was not too pricey - £5 for a beer that tastes of something, but I went for a very nice veggie pie at £3.50.

Ashtree RockBee

Junior Team Hopeful
Tottenham Hotspur 2-1 Middlesbrough
- - - - - -

Admission £20 plus £3.50 booking fee, 84-page programme / book £3.50
Pint of Beavertown Neck Oil (filled through the bottom of the glass) £5

A fine critique from Mark, who beat me to it while i was honing my first draft.

Averse to hopping a new League ground in London on a Saturday, this cup replay was nectar for Ropemaker and me.

An easy three-minute walk from White Hart Lane station (but let’s just say it took longer on the way back), the new build’s impressive as described earlier, and it’s the first time I’ve been to a ground where the perimeter lighting changes colours and shade to build the pre-match atmosphere, no doubt assisted by the pitch black sky.

Ropemaker got good seats well under cover on the second tier behind the goal Spurs defended in the first half, from where we could make out the rise of seats at the other end which must reach Base Camp height-wise. The pint glass filling procedure at the bar was worth watching – the glasses have a large counter covering the base which gets moved initially by the jet of lager from below.

No doubt you’ll have read about or seen the highlights of this match. Basically, Boro’s keeper passed the ball to a Spurs forward inside his own area for 1-0 within two minutes, an easy midfield rob resulted in a run and shot for 2-0, Spurs should have been four up at half time, the second half trundled along, then Boro skimmed the bar followed by a shot from outside the box which evaded the keeper’s outstretched arm for 2-1 and an uncomfy last eight minutes plus stoppage time for the homesters and a rousing end for the 3,700 away fans drenched in the uncovered lower tier to our left.

It wasn’t a bad night overall, but so many aspects reinforced my love of non-League Football: the £3.50 booking fee to print your own ticket, the body search, the bag search (I only took a carrier bag containing a brolly and programme folder which is about all you can get away with), the inability to buy anything in the ground using cash, the horrendous train journey both ways and the 15-minute cattle stop wait on the way back before we could get near the train station. Looking forward to rocking up to a game on Saturday, using a note and standing / sitting where I want.

BDA_85

Youth Team Sub
South Midlands Premier
CRAWLEY GREEN 2-2 WEMBLEY
Admission £6.00 Prog sold out on gate, but managed to snaffle an insert from the bunker while getting my second-half cuppa
Tea, Coffee £1.00 each
Attendance 43 (all under cover, natch.)

Maybe it's just me but every time I pencil in a Crawley Green game, the weather decides to turn nasty even though the game is almost always guaranteed to happen. In addition, there was no parking for us humble plebs so we got nice and wet walking back to the ground.

Anyway, first blood to Wembley after only four minutes when the home keeper gathered the ball (or so he thought) only for it to slip out of his hands into the path of a Wembley player who seized his chance with alacrity. Midway through the first half, Crawley Green did equalise, only for Wembley to retake the lead while I was in the Bunker getting my tea. No worries - a direct free kick on the edge of the area was parried and eventually bundled in to ensure that honours were even.

Further to my previous post on here which appears to have ignited a debate on the General section, I should point out that tonight's equivalents (who were independent of each other) were accompanied by adults, sat in the stand, were no trouble at all and appeared to pay attention. Which is how it should be as they might learn something if they ever aspire to play for either of tonight's teams.

Finally, whatever opinions one may have on artificial/plastic/3G/4G/5G pitches, they don't half save a fortune on laundry bills.
+1 here.
Very close to home but was always put off by parking horror stories! Was directed down the track and then told I'd have to turn around as parking was for players/officials only. Parked on the road without issue. Lots of cars parked a short way down the dead end road which is where I'm told many people park to avoid excessive airport parking charges.

Warwickian

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Leamington
Leamington 1 Kingstonian 0
FA Trophy 2nd Round.Replay

I don't normally post on Leamington home games but I'll make an exception for this one!
I was surprised when the club announced the game was on at 3pm but despite the wind and the rain the pitch held up very well and there were no problems for the players.
After Saturday's closely fought match this was more of the same with Leamington scoring on the half hour mark through Jack Edwards.This was enough to win the match with Kingstonian playing the ball around well but lacking a cutting edge in front of goal.
Attendance of 308 on a foul night including a coach load up from Kingston. The Brakes now await the winners of the delayed Bath City/Concord Rangers match for their first time in the 3rd Round of the FA Trophy since 1983/84 season!

Burgesshillbee

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Brentford
- - - - - -

Admission £20 plus £3.50 booking fee, 84-page programme / book £3.50
Pint of Beavertown Neck Oil (filled through the bottom of the glass) £5

A fine critique from Mark, who beat me to it while i was honing my first draft.

Averse to hopping a new League ground in London on a Saturday, this cup replay was nectar for Ropemaker and me.

An easy three-minute walk from White Hart Lane station (but let’s just say it took longer on the way back), the new build’s impressive as described earlier, and it’s the first time I’ve been to a ground where the perimeter lighting changes colours and shade to build the pre-match atmosphere, no doubt assisted by the pitch black sky.

Ropemaker got good seats well under cover on the second tier behind the goal Spurs defended in the first half, from where we could make out the rise of seats at the other end which must reach Base Camp height-wise. The pint glass filling procedure at the bar was worth watching – the glasses have a large counter covering the base which gets moved initially by the jet of lager from below.

No doubt you’ll have read about or seen the highlights of this match. Basically, Boro’s keeper passed the ball to a Spurs forward inside his own area for 1-0 within two minutes, an easy midfield rob resulted in a run and shot for 2-0, Spurs should have been four up at half time, the second half trundled along, then Boro skimmed the bar followed by a shot from outside the box which evaded the keeper’s outstretched arm for 2-1 and an uncomfy last eight minutes plus stoppage time for the homesters and a rousing end for the 3,700 away fans drenched in the uncovered lower tier to our left.

It wasn’t a bad night overall, but so many aspects reinforced my love of non-League Football: the £3.50 booking fee to print your own ticket, the body search, the bag search (I only took a carrier bag containing a brolly and programme folder which is about all you can get away with), the inability to buy anything in the ground using cash, the horrendous train journey both ways and the 15-minute cattle stop wait on the way back before we could get near the train station. Looking forward to rocking up to a game on Saturday, using a note and standing / sitting where I want.
Also here as was Bagman and Chatham Bee, who i met at the top of the West Stand, despite the booking fee of £3.50 i thought it was still cheap to tick the ground. Arrived a bit earlier than planned and was able to take advantage of one of the meal deals on offer for early arrivals when i had a tasty pie and coffee for £4, if you wanted a pint instead of a soft drink it was £5.50. Also you can walk around the whole of the Level 1 concourse apart from where the away fans are situated. There are loads of places to eat and drink in the stadium and they have their own micro brewery on site. My £20 ticket was at the top of the West Stand level with the penalty area where all the goals were scored, nothing more to add re the game as very well covered by others, glad we didnt have extra time as the 20.05 kick off meant it was approx 22.00 when it finished, however was on a train at Northumberland Park at 22.25 and back at London Bridge via Stratford by 23.05.
Overall i was impressed and would agree better than Wembley, also the food and drink was fairly priced and decent. Would do a revisit sometime in future if tickets were cheap again.

Bagman

Junior Team Sub
FA Cup 3rd Replay

Tottenham Hotspur (2) 2 v 1 (0) Middlesbrough

Admission £15 OAP, Programme £3.50pm) Attendance 49202 (Away fans 3700)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Grounds : 2019/2020 =21
Last New Ground : Tottenham Hotspur 14th January 2020

Steveb

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
Also here as was Bagman and Chatham Bee, who i met at the top of the West Stand, despite the booking fee of £3.50 i thought it was still cheap to tick the ground. Arrived a bit earlier than planned and was able to take advantage of one of the meal deals on offer for early arrivals when i had a tasty pie and coffee for £4, if you wanted a pint instead of a soft drink it was £5.50. Also you can walk around the whole of the Level 1 concourse apart from where the away fans are situated. There are loads of places to eat and drink in the stadium and they have their own micro brewery on site. My £20 ticket was at the top of the West Stand level with the penalty area where all the goals were scored, nothing more to add re the game as very well covered by others, glad we didnt have extra time as the 20.05 kick off meant it was approx 22.00 when it finished, however was on a train at Northumberland Park at 22.25 and back at London Bridge via Stratford by 23.05.
Overall i was impressed and would agree better than Wembley, also the food and drink was fairly priced and decent. Would do a revisit sometime in future if tickets were cheap again.
Plus one at Tottenham ... well, plus two in fact as my Spurs-supporting partner was always going to join me to tick this one.

We had a logistical headache though. The late kick off and lack of parking meant it would be stupidly-late by the time we got home, and work commitments meant taking an extra day off wasn't an option.

We solved all that by staying overnight at the Travelodge in Wood Green, and working out of our employers' London office on Wednesday (we both work for the same organisation). It meant we could park the car securely for free, and it was an easy walk back after the game.

Tremendous stadium, I can't think of a better one in the British Isles and it's up there with the best in Europe. Food and drink at reasonable prices, and no queue for a pre-match beer 30 minutes before kick off. If only all visits to new Premier League/Football League venues could be as enjoyable.

Still baffled by the number of people leaving well before the end though. I know it was a late kick off, but fans near us were leaving as Middlesbrough scored, and they barely looked up to register the fact as they headed for the exits. What's the point of even going?

Anyway, somewhat belatedly I've also written some words for my blog.

The vulture

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Groundhog
Another one at Tottenham, again 20 sovs but only a £1.75 booking fee. I was in the South Stand above a corner flag in one of triangular wedged sections : a great view and an ideal spot for getting out at the end.

Unlike most new grounds this one I would suggest visiting for an evening game rather than in daylight. My 1st visit was in daylight and I thought it decent, seeing it under lights (and the pre-match stadium illuminations) it certainly has a wow factor....I had told a closet Spurs supporting friend that the Emirates is better, I now concede that it isn't.

Did my travelling via Tottenham Hale, which is around 25 minutes walk and I would imagine easier to use than Seven Sisters as the tube trains stop at T.H. first.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks