The Politics Thread

pitch 63

Reserve Team Starter
Almost certainly the Belarusian President, who has been in power since the break up of the Soviet Union, lost last year's election, but he is Putin's puppet and thus safe.

007Dale

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Leicester City, St Albans City
If there is even a hint of regime change in Belarus, Russia will be in like a shot. It’s already a puppet of Russia, so it won’t take much. Look at East Ukraine, Crimea, South Ossetia etc for historic examples of this.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
So any one popping over to visit and stopping at Leo‘s will need new documentation that Leo needs to provide.

There are two points.
1) Leo's is a hotel - so you can book to stay with me through booking.com which cancels the need to register
2) Rules is rules and application is something else. Anyone staying more than 3 days in a private home in China must register with the police, but I never bothered.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
I could be wrong about this, but I think the rules are
Visa free for stays of up to 90 days in the EU.
Visa free is limited to 180 days in a year

If the EU institutes an ESTAC style entry permit, which I believe is the intention, then this is for the Visa free visitors, but would extend for several years - as per the USA one.

The UK has announced an intention to follow suit, but are years behind the EU in implementation.

These on-line permits are going to become the way of the world. I expect fewer visits to consulates and more time on the computer will be required prior to future travel.

johnr

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
NUFC (retired)
Yes, I remember the thing about stays under 90 days, but I'm not sure if this conflicts with the information that has been quoted in post number 877 on this thread.
Yes I was getting 2 different things mixed up, by 2025 an EU citizen on a short stay will have to pay and fill out the form so the UK can check whether they are undesirable, assuming OK they can come for 90 dyas without issue. The EU are doing the same for amongst other people, the short stay UK visitors, probably at an earlier date, so more cost for trips abroad, hopefully Covid testing costs will have stopped by then!!

LeedsPhil

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Leeds + groundhopping
My neighbour's husband was one of the international observers at last year's Belarussian election. He had the common sense to wait until he had got out of the country before he filed his report on who had actually won...

johnr

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
NUFC (retired)
I take it these people interviewed were living in exile? If not you'll probably not be hearing from them again!

How many times do we hear of sanctions being imposed on the likes of Belarus, Russia, North Korea, China etc? It's a token gesture and means nothing. Regime changes are the only answer and they cannot be carried out from within and of course any outside 'interference' will only have one ending and the price in the cost of human lives is simply not worth considering.
Basically until Western Governments just accept we have the Soviet Union back and treats it accordingly as though we are back in the Cold War rather than some naughty boy who sometimes kills our citizens. Their wealthy oligarchs are possibly their achilles heal, how much dirty money from Putin and his gang downwards is swishing around the world, thats the only real way to hurt them by freezing their assets (painful). Othersise like the Soviet Union 1 we wait for people to pass on and their economy to crumble, which it should do so when no one needs their gas and oil.

Chris1963

First Team Starter
And meanwhile, in Texas they are passing a new law that with effect from 1st September, allows anyone over 21 to carry a handgun without background checks or a licence, effectively giving criminals control of the streets. Texas will soon really be like the Old Wild West!

Unicorn

Reserve Team Sub
And meanwhile, in Texas they are passing a new law that with effect from 1st September, allows anyone over 21 to carry a handgun without background checks or a licence, effectively giving criminals control of the streets. Texas will soon really be like the Old Wild West!
About four years ago i was talking to an American in a pub in Margate.
I asked him how many US states had he been to. He said 49.
I asked which one he had missed. He replied Texas and i am never going there.
Says it all.

007Dale

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
I thought Andrew Neil’s interview with Rishi sunak last night on GB News was excellent. A proper good in-depth questioning, without the need for the presenter to jump in and points-score.

Rishi came across OK, if not spectacular. Quite evasive on the pension triple-lock, just staying it was still Government policy, without confirming he would keep it in the Autumn.

jon b

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Sheffield Utd/Wed/FC
I gave GB News a try on opening night and unfortunately ended up watching the segment hosted by Dan Wootton. I found his anti lockdown ranting incoherent and unimpressive.

Andrew Neil on the other hand is a formidable interviewer able to expose weaknesses in the arguments of whoever is willing to face him, irrespective of their political affiliation. In that context I'm impressed Sunak was prepared to undergo a grilling from him. Johnson, of course, hid away from Neil during the last election campaign.

I watched some of the GB News early morning show yesterday and enjoyed it. Hopefully, the channel will provide a much needed challenge to the Beeb.

BDA_85

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
AFC Dunstable
Johnson has given Hancock the dreaded vote of confidence.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
If he gets sacked, I expect to read he is in the running for the Spurs job, (everyone else is)

jon b

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Sheffield Utd/Wed/FC
Last night's by election in Bucks saw a 16,000 Tory majority turned into an 8,000 Lib Dem majority in a seat that's been a Conservative stronghold since its creation in 1974.

After all the Tory triumphalism over the Hartlepool result, it turns out taking tribal loyalties for granted isn't just an issue for Labour.

prorege

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Last night's by election in Bucks saw a 16,000 Tory majority turned into an 8,000 Lib Dem majority in a seat that's been a Conservative stronghold since its creation in 1974.

After all the Tory triumphalism over the Hartlepool result, it turns out taking tribal loyalties for granted isn't just an issue for Labour.
Very interesting result. The BBC News this morning was spinning it as being down to local issues - HS2 and deregulation of planning amongst them. I wonder if it also had anything to do with traditional Tory voters being hacked off with the direction (or lack of it) of the party under Johnson's leadership. The Tory Party of the last few years might appeal to the Brexit-voting, anti-immigration, English / UK Nationalist types, but does that come at the cost of losing support in their traditional heartlands? Does their opportunist populism of recent times sit well with their long-term support?

007Dale

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Very interesting result. The BBC News this morning was spinning it as being down to local issues - HS2 and deregulation of planning amongst them. I wonder if it also had anything to do with traditional Tory voters being hacked off with the direction (or lack of it) of the party under Johnson's leadership. The Tory Party of the last few years might appeal to the Brexit-voting, anti-immigration, English / UK Nationalist types, but does that come at the cost of losing support in their traditional heartlands? Does their opportunist populism of recent times sit well with their long-term support?
Terrible result for the Tories, interesting though the spin is HS2, I’m pretty sure it was Tory policy 18 months ago in the General Election, so what’s changed?

I’m not sure Brexit is the cause, as Amersham & Chesham was 55% leave in the Brexit referendum and has voted in the past in great numbers for UKIP.

Probably it’s local issues of some sort. Perhaps it is HS2, I don’t know. I suspect however that the good people of Amersham and Chesham voted Lib Dem, safe in the knowledge this was a by-election, with no risk of a Labour Government.

Come the next General Election, and if there is a surge in Labour support nationally, I’d expect this seat to turn back blue.

AdBlock Detected

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks