The Politics Thread

Steveb

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
Only very recently and only the two top men (yes, I know how that reads!).

'What is behind them' is the attitudes that are deeply ingrained in the heads of departments and their subordinate editorial staff. That's a lot of people for the chairman and the DG to work on.
Care to provide any actual examples of left wing bias in BBC news coverage? Geuninely interested.

Mr. T

Reserve Team Hopeful
Care to provide any actual examples of left wing bias in BBC news coverage? Geuninely interested
Care to provide any actual examples of right-wing bias in BBC news coverage? Genuinely interested.

hamlet

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
anyone non league
It is, but when you make a claim which other people dispute, such as that of Nicola Sturgeon's xenophobia, people who disagree can reasonably ask you to supply some form of proof for your opinions, or supply evidence themselves.
She's a one trick pony cock who could only bluster when tied down on the financing of an independant Scotland in the future,if the EU was to accept their membership,unlikely given Spains position on the matter,they would lose their hard fought independence overnight and be dictated to by the Franco/German rulers of the EU.It's an interesting debate with many varied opinions

Sale Holmfield

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Altrincham
That's not the best answer. I have already given the example of Laura Kuenssberg's "This is him here" when she found the father of a sick child who berated and embarrassed Boris Johnson.
Care to provide any actual examples of right-wing bias in BBC news coverage? Genuinely interested.
That's not the best answer. I have already given the example of Laura Kuenssberg's "This is him here" when she found the father of a sick child who berated and embarrassed Boris Johnson.

Sale Holmfield

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Altrincham
She's a one trick pony cock who could only bluster when tied down on the financing of an independant Scotland in the future,if the EU was to accept their membership,unlikely given Spains position on the matter,they would lose their hard fought independence overnight and be dictated to by the Franco/German rulers of the EU.It's an interesting debate with many varied opinions
What on earth is that to do with her allegedly hating English people?

Steveb

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
I think the BBC sometimes gives the current UK Government an easy ride, and it failed to adequately challenge politicians who made rash claims about the benefits of leaving the EU.

But if you read my earlier post properly I said that overall BBC does a good job of maintaining neutrality. I’d not suggested there was any right wing bias.

Sale Holmfield

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Altrincham
That's where we differ.
The fact many Scots want to break away from the United Kingdom does not mean they hate English people.
I have a suspicion you wanted to break away from the EU. Assuming I am right, that doesn't mean you hate all European people, or at least I hope it doesn't.
Genuinely, I hope you can see my point.

Mr. T

Reserve Team Hopeful

An example? The Emily Maitlis Show on the Cummings affair was a real low point.

TBF, I care less that it allows its presenters to demonstrate their bias than it persists in pretending they're not. It has a duty to impartiality that it struggles to perform, shown by the treatment of many interviewees.

Listen to Radio 4's 'Today' to get a good idea of the worst of the BBC mindset. This contrasts markedly with some of its evening programmes such as 'File on 4' and 'Analysis'. These are still worth listening to.

Last edited:

Mr. T

Reserve Team Hopeful
I think the BBC sometimes gives the current UK Government an easy ride, and it failed to adequately challenge politicians who made rash claims about the benefits of leaving the EU.

But if you read my earlier post properly I said that overall BBC does a good job of maintaining neutrality. I’d not suggested there was any right wing bias.
The BBC doesn't maintain neutrality! That's the point.

jon b

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Sheffield Utd/Wed/FC
Apart from a couple or three national dailies the media is far from tory which is why GB News is being started up to redress the balance of left wing bias coming out of the BBC and Sky since it has been taken over.
Most of the people who dislike Boris the most reside in the media,they are woke left leaning metropolitan liberals and remainers
Well its led to an interesting discussion about the media in general but when I mentioned "the Tory media" I actually meant the Tory media.

i.e. the Express/Mail/Telegraph/Times/Sun, all of whom declared for the Tory party in the 2019 GE.

There is also Non Tory media but I don't think they tried to emphasise an "SNP failure" in the Thursday election.

Steveb

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
The initial question, in its faux innocence, was a statement of contempt. It got what it deserved.

An example? The Emily Maitlis Show on the Cummings affair was a real low point.

TBF, I care less that it allows its presenters to demonstrate their bias than it persists in pretending they're not. It has a duty to impartiality that it struggles to perform, shown by the treatment of many interviewees.

Listen to Radio 4's 'Today' to get a good idea of the worst of the BBC mindset. This contrasts markedly with some of its evening programmes such as 'File on 4' and 'Analysis'. These are still worth listening to.
No idea how you perceived my question as a ’statement of contempt’.

If your example is Emily Maitlis on Newsnight then it‘s a poor one. She was dropped for the following night’s edition by the BBC. Hardly an indication of BBC left wing bias.

hamlet

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
anyone non league
That's where we differ.
The fact many Scots want to break away from the United Kingdom does not mean they hate English people.
I have a suspicion you wanted to break away from the EU. Assuming I am right, that doesn't mean you hate all European people, or at least I hope it doesn't.
Genuinely, I hope you can see my point.
Of course not.
l did vote to leave on the basis we joined the ECC not a European Political Union,one of the pluses of holidays in Europe is talking to people from all over and getting their views of the world,the one question l always ask is"do you want your old currency back the vast majority say yes for what it's worth,one of the most interesting and funny was a Belgian Eurostar driver who knew more about the back streets of East London than l did when it ran into Waterloo.So no l don't in any shape or form.
l can and we can beg to differ.

Sale Holmfield

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Altrincham

If your example is Emily Maitlis on Newsnight then it‘s a poor one. She was dropped for the following night’s edition by the BBC. Hardly an indication of BBC left wing bias.
Was Emily Maitlis dropped from the programme under the new Conservative BBC management? I think she was, but am not sure.

Mr. T

Reserve Team Hopeful

I edited that out but too late, obviously. Post in haste and all that...

Maitlis was an indication of all that was wrong and had been for too long.

hamlet

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
anyone non league
Yet we’re still waiting for an example of it’s supposed institutional bias :unsure:
We were treated to a cream tea in the Landmark Hotel one of the beebs drinking holes on their exes or mine and your tax pounds, there were a couple of faces off the news along with their editorial team,the conversation would not have been out of place if they were running as hard left candicates for election,they were joined by others from the newsroom in the bar,a tenner won't get you much,and the conversation wasn't very complementary to the Tories or people on the right of the Labour Party journos are noisy and like a few sherberts so it wasn't hard to overhear their conversation.If some of their so called comedians are anything to go by with their ranting about Boris and the nasty Tory Party,Have l got news for you is a case in point,it's childish in my opinion you may disagree as is your right

MattRam

Youth Team Sub
Yet we’re still waiting for an example of it’s supposed institutional bias :unsure:
Brexit coverage, proven biased to remain cause by the official analysis, in their choice of guests.
They are so left leaning in pc ness that most Labour viewers ( or many now ex) are turning off.

town ender

Junior Team Starter
Is this the same BBC which fails so miserably to hold the government to account? I would describe it as ‘right leaning’ and that’s being charitable.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock