The Politics Thread

SteveW

Site Admin
Staff member
I'm going to have one last go at opening this Topic on the Forum. I really do mean it's one last go.

It doesn't matter what your political persuasions are this thread is to discuss the politics of the day and NOT to dicuss the person posting it.

We don't want to hear 'lefty communists' or 'right wing nazis'. We don't want personal arguments between two posters... you can take that to private messaging.

I am hoping this new thread works. If it doesn't it will be pulled from the Forum PDQ so its over to you guys.

buncranaboy

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Bostock Stanley, Barnstoneworth United
I'm going to have one last go at opening this Topic on the Forum. I really do mean it's one last go.

It doesn't matter what your political persuasions are this thread is to discuss the politics of the day and NOT to dicuss the person posting it.

We don't want to hear 'lefty communists' or 'right wing nazis'. We don't want personal arguments between two posters... you can take that to private messaging.

I am hoping this new thread works. If it doesn't it will be pulled from the Forum PDQ so its over to you guys.
Where are they ?

Hoddy1.

First Team Regular
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
shhh.gif

jon b

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Sheffield Utd/Wed/FC
The political development that most surprised me recently was the re-igniting of the bust up within the SNP between the Sturgeon and Salmond factions.

With the SNP comfortably ahead in the opinion polls and their long, long desired Independence seemingly within reach, to the joy of Unionists, they turn on each other in a way that might just snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Months of Sturgeon's daily Covid briefings succeeded in portraying her as a serious statesmalike national leader. Then she allows herself to be dragged into this internal mud slinging. :rolleyes:

spen666

Junior Team Star

I love your eternal optimism

Chris1963

First Team Starter
The political development that most surprised me recently was the re-igniting of the bust up within the SNP between the Sturgeon and Salmond factions.
Much as I would love to have a go at Ms Fishy, the blame must fall on Mr Fishy (are they related?) for allowing himself to get into a situation where all these women were making allegations against him, even though he was not convicted of anything.

Aswani

Junior Team Starter
Is this the forum to discuss or express an opinion on Council's handing over grants to Hunt's?

Last edited:

prorege

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs

With the SNP comfortably ahead in the opinion polls and their long, long desired Independence seemingly within reach, to the joy of Unionists, they turn on each other in a way that might just snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Months of Sturgeon's daily Covid briefings succeeded in portraying her as a serious statesmalike national leader. Then she allows herself to be dragged into this internal mud slinging. :rolleyes:

The SNP has always been split between fundamentalists and gradualists. It is that conflict which is being played out through the Sturgeon / Salmond fracas.

Salmond is arrogant enough to think that he can come back into mainstream politics. He is a fundamentalist who adopted gradualism as a means to an end - to ease the way towards am independence referendum. I'm sure he thinks that if he can discredit Sturgeon then he might come back into play in the political world.

Sturgeon has always been more of a gradualist but will make fundamentalist noises when necessary to generate support for the party.

The division is further complicated by Peter Murrell's role. Understandably Sturgeon doesn't want to fling him under a bus when that would be the most obvious way out of the situation.

There are also elements who are happy to stoke the flames of rancour within the SNP - the BBC, much of the print media, some of the Civil Service, the Scottish Office and the Government in London.

007Dale

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Leicester City, St Albans City
If Scotland was ever going to vote for independence, it’s now; Brexit, Tory Government, Covid crisis.

However, it’s hard to see a legitimate vote being agreed to by Westminster.

prorege

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
The SNP intend to use the 2021 Scottish Parliament elections to try and gain a mandate for a referendum.

It will be clear and explicit in their Manifesto that they are seeking an independence referendum and that a vote for the SNP will be taken as a vote for independence.

Should they win a Parliamentary majority they will adopt whatever tactics they can, both at Holyrood and at Westminster, to force the issue.

Should they gain a majority of the popular vote they may consider moving towards independence without a further referendum.

There are some within the Conservative Party who would quite happily see Scotland leave the UK.

007Dale

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Leicester City, St Albans City
Should they gain a majority of the popular vote they may consider moving towards independence without a further referendum.
I suppose that assumes that nobody would vote for the party that didn’t support independence, however, my understanding is they’ve picked up broad support due to the fall of the Labour Party. As a governing party, they can ill afford to be a single-policy party.

Clearly anyone voting for them realises that they are potentially voting for another referendum at least, in the same way that the Tories picked up votes beyond the leave support last year.

However, I am no expert on the political goings on North of the border.

prorege

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
See paragraph 2 of my post.

Yes, some Labour voters have switched to SNP but would not have supported independence. It will be made clear that anyone voting SNP in 2021 will be voting for Independence. It is up to Labour and others to persuade people against that.

My feeling is that many who have moved to the SNP without being convinced by independence, would now support separation from rUK.

Barbie

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Barry Town United
Support for leaving the union is also (according to a recent poll, that I find myself unmotivated to find a link for) growing in Wales, and amongst English Tory voters (which rather brings into question the title, "Conservative & Unionist Party").

Ronsdog

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Lowestoft Town
Crystal Palace

Lord Lucan

Reserve Team Regular
After all the fuss about a hard border between Northern Ireland and the Republic, it looks like the Welsh want to set up a border in Britain with warnings of any English found in the far West being ‘confronted’ by locals.
Unsurprisingly, Sturgeon has been quick to express her support.

Perhaps Trump’s wall builders can help with modern versions of Offa’s Dyke and Hadrian’s Wall.

Aswani

Junior Team Starter
After all the fuss about a hard border between Northern Ireland and the Republic, it looks like the Welsh want to set up a border in Britain with warnings of any English found in the far West being ‘confronted’ by locals.
Unsurprisingly, Sturgeon has been quick to express her support.

Perhaps Trump’s wall builders can help with modern versions of Offa’s Dyke and Hadrian’s Wall.

Is this to do with the Welsh government's concern about folk from Tier 3 places going into Wales, seems reasonable to me?

If the Tory government want to play fast and loose with the health of those they serve, it is only right that other governments with a more people centric approach ot things don't have to suffer the consequences.

I don't live in a Tier 3 area yet wouldn't dream of travelling anywhere, anyone in those areas should stay local unless abosultely necessary, that's not too much to ask. I guess folk are taking their cue from Dominic Cummings.

jon b

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Sheffield Utd/Wed/FC
I don't live in a Tier 3 area yet wouldn't dream of travelling anywhere, anyone in those areas should stay local unless abosultely necessary, that's not too much to ask. I guess folk are taking their cue from Dominic Cummings.

The failure to penalise the breaking by Cummings, Jenrick, Corbyn etc of restrictions designed to contain the spread of Covid 19 has seriously undermined the attempt to retain a united front in tackling the pandemic.

The argument being if they don't suffer sanction for not complying with the rules why should anyone else?

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks