Test cricket alive and kicking

Mr. T

Youth Team Star
Would be interesting to see his stats pre & post captaincy

_Root.jpg

His average as captain dropped to 39 after the 1st Test in NZ in Nov 2019 where he made 2 and 11 and England lost by an innings. He's averaged 70 since then, although that includes some very mixed scores: 228, 226, 186, four 50s and not much else.

Mek

Youth Team Sub
Yes, 14 wickets during the day. Kagiso Rabada is one away from 200 wickets at an average of under 23.

R.S.Cavendish

Junior Team Star
Regarding a comment above, does it mean that the India v England series will not be on satellite television?

Mr. T

Youth Team Star
From today's Daily Telegraph:

It is still unclear who will broadcast the series in the UK. As Telegraph Sport revealed in December, the tour is set to be shown on Disney's Hotstar streaming service, although the final arrangements have yet to be confirmed.

Star Sports, part of the Disney empire, has exclusive rights to broadcast cricket within India and sells on its access to broadcasters in other territories, such as Sky or BT.

But the explosion in popularity of streaming services, such as its Disney+ channel, has led Disney to seriously consider retaining the rights, worth around £20 million, and screening matches in this country via one of its own digital platforms rather than selling them on to a traditional broadcaster.

jbattheground

Youth Team Sub
View attachment 8247

His average as captain dropped to 39 after the 1st Test in NZ in Nov 2019 where he made 2 and 11 and England lost by an innings. He's averaged 70 since then, although that includes some very mixed scores: 228, 226, 186, four 50s and not much else.

It's interesting, for a lot of his career Root while averaging around 50 was criticised for not converting to 50s to 100s enough (meaning he got from 0 to 50 in a fairly incredible proportion of his innings). It would be a bit ironic if he was now criticised for the exact opposite - not getting decent scores often enough but inflating his average through the odd mammoth score.

Of course there is no right or wrong way to average 70 - the key is that he has support because all test batsmen get out cheaply much of the time, its the nature of the sport. I'm encouraged by the approach under Silverwood - there is nobody else in the team anywhere near the talent of Root (although I have high hopes for Pope eventually) but the players around him do appear willing to graft for runs.

jon b

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Sheffield Utd/Wed/FC
Root is a fantastic batsman but not a particularly astute captain

We'll see his captaincy skills properly tested in India.

At least he is definitely astute and discerning in his choice of football team to support. 🙂

Mr. T

Youth Team Star
IIt would be a bit ironic if he was now criticised for the exact opposite - not getting decent scores often enough but inflating his average through the odd mammoth score.

Of course there is no right or wrong way to average 70 - the key is that he has support because all test batsmen get out cheaply much of the time..
It was an observation.

jbattheground

Youth Team Sub
I wasn't having a go at you for your observation, apologies if it read that way. I just noticed that the way you described his scoring pattern was the mirror image of something he'd been criticised for throughout his test career.

Mr. T

Youth Team Star
Averages can be misleading (of any kind when the samples vary so greatly). Root's clearly declined with the captaincy, yet if you look at the number of 50+ scores as a %age of starts, they're quite similar: 39 and 36.

70 since Mount Maunganui isn't a very useful indicator given his scores.

oftenscore6

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
FC United of Manchester, St Pauli, Hammarby, Hawthorn (AFL)
Going back to Oz v India, I'm not sure Australia got their bowling tactics right. Warne was apoplectic re the field for Lyon not having enough people around the batsman whilst the pace bowlers failed to get anything like the movement and unpredictable bounce that India managed, preferring the short length ball. Whilst this was aggressive towards the batsmen - Pujara hit 11 times - it perhaps wasn't as attacking as it could have been, particularly when Lyon was bowling. Whilst it kept runs down, except when Mitchell Starc bowled, it proved not enough.

For all the comments re Root and captaincy, Tim Paine will for sure be in the firing line himself.

What an absorbing Test and series though.

LeedsPhil

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Leeds + groundhopping
Ah! Explains why I'm getting bombarded with marketing messages wanting me to sign up to a phone contract that has Disney+ thrown in. Why on earth would they be pushing a kiddies' cartoons channel to a 50-something?!, has been my reaction. Didn't realize that it's because they've got the India-England cricket.

Worse, though, is that there'll be no TMS - Talksport have got the radio exclusivity.

SimonUpNorth

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
North West non-league
Ah! Explains why I'm getting bombarded with marketing messages wanting me to sign up to a phone contract that has Disney+ thrown in. Why on earth would they be pushing a kiddies' cartoons channel to a 50-something?!, has been my reaction. Didn't realize that it's because they've got the India-England cricket.

Worse, though, is that there'll be no TMS - Talksport have got the radio exclusivity.

Disney Plus seems to be full of Marvel and Star Wars-related programming. I think the times of Disney = just children's cartoons may have gone. Not that any of the other stuff would make me want Disney Plus... Hopefully BBC or Ch5 will get highlights. Depending on the interest in watching it streamed live in the UK, I bet Amazon will be after any England test tours going up for grabs

Scotty BUFC

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Boston United
TMS normally do the "Cricket Social" don't they? Same commentators, just not ball-by=ball

Mr. T

Youth Team Star
The Sri Lanka Tests were an interesting exercise for TMS – studio-based commentary from a live TV feed. Does Talk Radio's deal prohibit the BBC from doing that again?

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks