Test cricket alive and kicking

Dribble!

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Ipswich Town
Great test match final day - Australia v India - a win for India, a series win for India and Australia defeated at the Gabba for the first time since 1989.

Good point on ABC Radio commentary- 20/20 cricket probably made the last day possible - players willing to attack and go for the win - not concerned about the number of runs to be chased down

jon b

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Sheffield Utd/Wed/FC
Yes, a famous win.

Were spectators allowed to attend?

Dribble!

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Ipswich Town
5,000 in on last day - a number of Indians

buncranaboy

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Bostock Stanley, Barnstoneworth United
"We can't wait to get you to the Gabba" sledged Tim Paine last week. 🤣

Barnsley Dave

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Barnsley, Yorkshire CCC, Non-league in general
Pujara certainly will know he's been in a game judging by the times he got hit. Superb performance from India

Ropemaker

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Hailsham Town
I watched up til lunch (2am) with India 83-1 at that point. At one point before lunch a calculator of "win chances" (or something) came up, with India at 1% and the draw at 70%!

oftenscore6

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
FC United of Manchester, St Pauli, Hammarby, Hawthorn (AFL)
Watched until 2 aswell, recorded the rest, only for the recording to run out with 10 runs to go... fortunately I had a series record on which included the highlights!

Both the last two tests in the series have had captivating 5th days. Hopefully it puts to bed any thoughts of moving to 4 day Tests.

jbattheground

Youth Team Sub
I don't think there's an appetite for four day tests between the major nations any time soon, and I really hope not. There have been a couple of four day tests recently (SA v Zim, Eng v Ire) and that is probably the model, giving the three minor test nations the odd 4-day test against bigger opposition without standing up players/officials/broadcasters for a potential 5th day that probably wouldn't be needed anyway.

Part-Timer

Reserve Team Hopeful
Arguably the best series played since the 2005 Ashes. India lost the first match after being bowled out for 36, stormed back to win the Boxing Day Test and held on for a remarkable draw in the third before the final, astonishing victory. What a shame the coverage it got in this country was so meagre when there is so little else going on.

buncranaboy

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Bostock Stanley, Barnstoneworth United
Arguably the best series played since the 2005 Ashes. India lost the first match after being bowled out for 36, stormed back to win the Boxing Day Test and held on for a remarkable draw in the third before the final, astonishing victory. What a shame the coverage it got in this country was so meagre when there is so little else going on.
I tuned into Sky Sports news the day after, expecting to see a brief run-through of the day's events but it wasn't even mentioned with all reporters more interested in the latest from Frank Lampard's Chelsea.
I assume Sky didn't televise the test, so who did ?

Kirby Knitters

First Team Regular
I watched bits of the 2nd Test from the SCG (which got plenty of coverage over here but for all the wrong reasons) it was on BT Sport so assume that they also had the 3rd as well.

jbattheground

Youth Team Sub
Yes BT currently have UK rights to all Aussie home cricket including internationals & Big Bash. That deal ends this season, so the Ashes next winter are up for grabs with Amazon rumoured to be very interested.

Meanwhile, for those that haven't clocked on, the forthcoming India v England series is on Disney Plus, due to Disney's global ownership of India home games. Time to reach out to whichever relative is banging on about the Mandalorian and seeing if they'll give you a login...

Mr. T

Reserve Team Hopeful
Where would England have been without the much-criticised Root? He scored 55% and 57% of runs off the bat in the two first innings – shades of Steve Smith at Brum in 2019.

A statto moment: England's seamers took all 10 wickets in Sri Lanka's first innings, the first time that's been done by any team at Galle and the first anywhere in SL since Pakistan (the two Ws) at Kandy in 1994.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks