Sunday 9th May 2021

Dave 56

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Leatherhead
Lichfield & Walsall. KO 10:30. Crowd 25.

Burntwood Victoria 0 v 1 Burntwood Lions

Burntwood Leisure Centre hosted this fixture. There are 3 pitches, all quite separate from each other across the complex. The game featured 5th and 6th in the table and sadly was not of the quality of the other games seen in this league. Indeed, it was 75minutes before there was a shot on target, which came to nothing.

Then, with the inevitable feeling of 0-0, the ref awarded an 89th minute penalty to the visitors. Needless to say, on what we had seen so far, we expected it to be blazed over the bar. As it happens it was a well struck penalty, just imside the post. Not a game to live long in the memory for myself or Tim.

Reactions: Tim

Digdagdog

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Lancashire CCC, Wigan Warriors
WG Parr Trophy - Semi Final
Sand's Lane Recreation Ground, Rowde - new tick
The Castle 3(1) Old Road 0(0)
F&N Attendance: 20+

The Chippenham & District Sunday League was COVID-voided and the three cups played to a finish instead. This was played between D2 hosts and D1 visitors. Both are pub sides so this was also Devizes v Chippenham! Played on a basic Rec in a small village 3 miles West of Devizes, this was actually a good game between two committed sides. The Castle were top of D2 when the Leage was voided and they were much better, scoring three cracking goals and coping with the breeze better than the visitors.
Also helped that, because it was a semi-final, we had three proper officials and none of the usual Sunday League moaning and biased flagging. There was even a straight Red for the hosts but that didn't knock them off their stride.

Tim

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Stourbridge, Welton Rovers
Lichfield & Walsall. KO 10:30. Crowd 25.

Burntwood Victoria 0 v 1 Burntwood Lions

Burntwood Leisure Centre hosted this fixture. There are 3 pitches, all quite separate from each other across the complex. The game featured 5th and 6th in the table and sadly was not of the quality of the other games seen in this league. Indeed, it was 75minutes before there was a shot on target, which came to nothing.

Then, with the inevitable feeling of 0-0, the ref awarded an 89th minute penalty to the visitors. Needless to say, on what we had seen so far, we expected it to be blazed over the bar. As it happens it was a well struck penalty, just imside the post. Not a game to live long in the memory for myself or Tim.
Nothing to add to Dave's thoughts. It was pretty crap, really.

More on Thursday!

ped

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Sheffield United, Barcelona
Nothing to add to Dave's thoughts. It was pretty crap, really.

More on Thursday!
Rotherham & District Sunday League, Division 2. 10:30 K.O.
Olympic Legacy Park, Attercliffe, Sheffield

City Knights FC 4 v 0 Waverley Att: 14 (h/c)

City Knights play on the 3G at the OLP on the overall site of the demolished Don Valley Stadium and this was a belated first visit to the newish facility, having missed out on watching Sheffield United Women play here before their move to Chesterfield's stadium.
The facility is being developed into a larger stadium complex as home for the return of Sheffield Eagles RLFC to Sheffield and is due for completion in Feb. 22. Apparently the 3G will be replaced by a hybrid grass pitch. City Knights have a contract to remain at the ground and will surely have one of the best Sunday League grounds in the country when it's finished.
They are a young side in their 3rd season and easily won this match playing too quick and skillful for their opponents.
I'll be taking in a few more R&DSL matches because the league carries on into the middle of June (including the odd Thursday).

dtr1989

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Bury FC
I turned up at Copperas Lane playing fields expecting to see FC Gorton v Reddish North End but there was nobody around. Checked Twitter where FC Gorton are normally pretty good and there was nothing regarding a postponement or venue change. They did tweet about midday stating the game was postponed (was a 10.30ko). A quick scour of Full Time showed a few games in the area however I had 10 minutes spare to get to the next ground. I found the following game just over a mile away and was there before KO.

Tameside League Division 5
Infinity Initiatives 5-0 Dom Doyle County
Attendance - 12

Venue: Lumb Lane Playing Fields - based in Audenshaw, Manchester. A small playing field consisting mainly of the pitch. The areas around the pitch were very boggy/waterlogged however the pitch looked absolutely fine. No furniture apart from Infinity’s portable bench. Netting and flags in Infinity colours (2 shades of blue). Nice canal path through the bushes. The roar of the m60 neighbouring meant that I couldn’t hear anything.

Game: Infinity were 4th before the game, and County 9th (11 team league). Infinity were much the better team throughout. An early goal set the standards, an absolute pearler curled into the bottom right corner from long ranger. The 2nd goal was a freak goal. A free kick from the centre half on the half way line evaded everyone, the keeper let the ball bounce, it bounced funny and over the keepers head. Infinity’s keeper had 2 decent saves to make to earn his clean sheet however the final result was indicative of the game.

Climate Change

Reserve Team Sub
Pleasant day for some........

Attachments

• crewe.jpg
    crewe.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 183685635_10159152989208674_6876923235840512226_n.jpg
    183685635_10159152989208674_6876923235840512226_n.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 41

Davetherave

Reserve Team Hopeful
Rotherham & District Sunday League, Division 2. 10:30 K.O.
Olympic Legacy Park, Attercliffe, Sheffield

City Knights FC 4 v 0 Waverley Att: 14 (h/c)

City Knights play on the 3G at the OLP on the overall site of the demolished Don Valley Stadium and this was a belated first visit to the newish facility, having missed out on watching Sheffield United Women play here before their move to Chesterfield's stadium.
The facility is being developed into a larger stadium complex as home for the return of Sheffield Eagles RLFC to Sheffield and is due for completion in Feb. 22. Apparently the 3G will be replaced by a hybrid grass pitch. City Knights have a contract to remain at the ground and will surely have one of the best Sunday League grounds in the country when it's finished.
They are a young side in their 3rd season and easily won this match playing too quick and skillful for their opponents.
I'll be taking in a few more R&DSL matches because the league carries on into the middle of June (including the odd Thursday).
Does anyone know if this pitch overlaps with the footprint of the old Don Valley pitch?

Hoddy1.

First Team Regular
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.

John Treleven

First Team Starter
F.A. Inter-League Cup Final 2019-20

Jersey Combination 5 (Jake Prince 4, Luke Campbell pen 9, Sol Solomon (2) 14 & 61, Luca Margaroli 90); West Cheshire 1 (Louis Gorman 74)

Dave the Glassboy

Junior Team Star
Wolverhampton and District Sunday League Division Five
Tettenhall Athletic 1 Raytheon 1

Played at the Windsor Avenue Playing Fields, albeit the postal address is Pinfold Lane. I think WIndsor Avenue is the access road to this multi-pitch facility on the outskirts of Wolverhampton.

I was meant to be watching Dudley United, whose colours I'd ascertained were red and black so went for the game which had a team in red and black. It was only when someone shouted "Come on Tettenhall" at half time that this tipped me off I was watching the wrong game. Ah well.

According to the league's website Tettenhall's normal home venue is Codsall High School. I'm wondering if this was unavailable for Covid related reasons.

There are four pitches at this site, with three in use today. There is an ample car park on site. The game I saw was to the right of the entrance and in a dip, meaning there was a grass bank behind the goal that you could stand or sit on to watch the game. There was also a raised bank behind the far goal.

Not a great game to be honest. Raytheon took the lead in the 2nd minute, Tettenhall equalised early in the 2nd half but the game had a decidedly end of season feel to it.

Meanwhile, in the last five minutes the game behind me had three goals and a sending off. I'll bet that was the Dudley United game!

Cherryhopper

First Team Starter
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
Winchester & District League Division 2
Bakers (Winchester) Reserves 4-3 AFC Corinthians
Attendance peaked at 20 - F + N

Not the game I planned to see, arrived at King George V Playing Fields on the South Eastern edge of Winchester to find one adult game about to kick off, there were three on Fulltime albeit all listed for Pitch 1 which obviously wouldn't have been possible. Driving in saw two teams warming up on the adjacent Garrison Ground where I saw Winchester Castle v Downton in a PSF in July 2019 and a walk through the footpath at half-time confirmed this was the match I had planned to see, the Division 1 title decider between Bakers 1st team and Mucky Duck which the visitors triumphed 3-0. As it would have been an accidental revisit decided to stay and watch the game on offer at KGV which, by elimination was either Whalesmead Thistle v Waltham Wanderers in Division 1 or Bakers Reserves v AFC Corinthians in Division 2, turns out the former fixture was reversed and played at Swanmore but guessed the team in green and white hoops were Corinthians as their Southern Counties East namesakes wear the same colours. Bottom of the table they found themselves a goal down early on with a near post header from a corner and two down after a penalty midway through the first half but fought their way back to level by the break, first goal a cracking strike from 20 yards out. Hosts regained the lead on the hour despite being reduced to 10 men after having a player sent off, visitors levelled again with 15 minutes to go but couldn't hold on for the point after the hosts scored a late winner, still they played their part in an entertaining contest.

King George V Playing Fields is a multi pitch facility next to the M3, most of which double as junior pitches with two smaller goals on opposite sides but quite a scenic venue with houses on the hill to the west and the start of the South Downs to the east.
IMG_20210509_104551.jpg
IMG_20210509_105110.jpg

Dave the Glassboy

Junior Team Star
Game 2
Beacon League Western Division
Sedgley Rangers 1 Sedgley Sporting 4

By contrast, this game was a cracker. Rounding off the weekend action with the Sedgley Old Firm.

Played at the Dormston Centre in (believe it or not) Sedgley, just off the town's high street. Attached to the local school and theatre complex again there was a more than adequate car park, from which you ascended some steps to get to the one and only grass pitch.

As always, three officials but played without corner flags which may not appeal to some purists!

Sporting went into the game needing a 3 goal win to claim the title in a truncated season (each team played each other once). Fair representation from Woodside Inn FC who were the current leaders and had scored a lot more goals than their nearest challengers (I'd seen them notch up a 9-1 win a couple of weeks ago). Indeed, possibly the biggest crowd I've ever seen at a Beacon League game as there must have been around 40 people watching.

As you'd expect the visitors dominated, but Rangers were determined to do their bit for the integrity of the competition. It wasn't until the 36th minute that Sporting broke the deadlock and 1-0 at half time the job was one third done.

A second with 21 minutes to go really fired Sporting up, but Rangers scored a well struck free kick to the delight of the Woodside contingent and Sporting needed 2 in 15 minutes.

With 11 to go, a scrambled effort made it 3-1 and just one more needed. Sporting threw everything they could at a tiring Rangers side who still managed the odd soiree into the Sporting half, but it looked like a scenario like that at Liverpool v Arsenal in 1989 was not going to happen.

Even I was getting tense and I didn't really care who won!

Then, three minutes into stoppage time, an unfortunate defender tried to head the ball back to the keeper only for it to slip through his fingers and nestle in the back of the net. Just about time to kick off before the referee blew the final whistle and Sporting had the title!

To be fair to the Woodside Inn contingent they came over to congratulate the new champions before leaving.

Climate Change

Reserve Team Sub
So your friend had no problem in getting into the ground. I wonder how he managed that?
Nothing to do with Hoddy.
There you go again, jumping to conclusions.

mxhornet

Reserve Team Regular
Stowupland Falcons U18 Girls - 1 Needham Market Women Reserves - 5
Suffolk Women's League Covid Cup Group One
Church Road (pitch one)
Attendance - 40ish

For the second time in recent weeks I turned up in good time for kick off only to find the start had been pushed back, this time from 2pm to 2-30 to accommodate another match that was off in the end.
NM took the lead after 16 minutes with a fluke goal and the extended their lead just after the drinks break (remember them ?) the home side pulled a goal back late in stoppage time to make it 1-2 at half time. NM scored twice early on in the second half (47 m and 52 m) the latter a penalty and after an evenish second half went further ahead after 85 minutes. The side were far more evenly matched than the score suggests the main difference begin the quality of their respective goalkeepers.
I had previously visited for a game on pitch two for the men's side.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
I had to google that. Sports analytics? The rest of us should have tried that with the FL clubs we support.
I think you will find that you have to be asked to do it, you can't just put yourself on the list

Hoddy1.

First Team Regular
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
I think you will find that you have to be asked to do it, you can't just put yourself on the list
It might be different in his world.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock