Step six clubs barred from the FA Cup?

BillShep

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
City of Liverpool FC
I have missed out saying that in France they have over 7000 teams entering.

shimtoan

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Dunkirk
I have missed out saying that in France they have over 7000 teams entering.
8,506, and it lasts for 16 months.

The 1st 11 Rounds (Preliminary to 10th) are all geographic draws.

Ligue 1 teams enter from the 10th Round, also known as the Round of 64.

But then France only has 3 national leagues, 2 of which are fully professional. Their 4th level has 4 divisions, and their 5th has 14.

The Copa del Rey in Spain has just 126 teams, 4 of whom (usually including Barca and Real) get a bye to the Round of 32 (which we'd call the 3rd Round, despite it being the 4th). Only the final isn't played between mid-November and mid-February. Guess who complains about having too many matches. The qualifying rounds are, in effect, the leagues and cups from the previous season.

The FA Cup format isn't perfect, but I prefer it to those 2

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
8,506, and it lasts for 16 months.

The 1st 11 Rounds (Preliminary to 10th) are all geographic draws.

Ligue 1 teams enter from the 10th Round, also known as the Round of 64.

But then France only has 3 national leagues, 2 of which are fully professional. Their 4th level has 4 divisions, and their 5th has 14.

The Copa del Rey in Spain has just 126 teams, 4 of whom (usually including Barca and Real) get a bye to the Round of 32 (which we'd call the 3rd Round, despite it being the 4th). Only the final isn't played between mid-November and mid-February. Guess who complains about having too many matches. The qualifying rounds are, in effect, the leagues and cups from the previous season.

The FA Cup format isn't perfect, but I prefer it to those 2
I prefer the French Cup to the English, the higher numbers (I am not certain they have ever reached over 8,000) make the whole thing more democratic in my opinion. You have one too many rounds, the preliminary is only in a couple of regions, In mainland France, the competition does not generally start before August, with only Paris having matches before the old season has finished. The Outre Mer clubs may have different timetables

Also, the National 3 (fifth tier) of the French League has only 12 divisions (not 14). These divisions are nominally of 14 teams each. I am not aware of any lower division with more than 14, and most have only 12.

The German system has only a limited number of teams, but effectively you can say the entire set of Landespokal in the year before are qualifying rounds. Each of the state cup winners take a place in the First round. In some Lander, district cup winners qualify for the Landespokal of the following season, meaning that the cup can be said to run over three seasons

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks