Sports that you have spectated at only once or twice.

Main Drain Man

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Kingstonian Ipswich Town, Rotherham United, Sheffield United, East Fife, Norton Woodseats (RIP)
Off the top of my head only seen once.
Gaelic football cup final at Ruislip
Hurling cup final at Ruislip
Croquet 4 team international at Surbiton (friend playing for England)
Bobsleigh and skeleton; world champs at Innsbruck.
Stocksport at Mureck Aut
Drag racing at Santa Pod
Squash Surbiton v Sheffield
Ice Ball Streatham v Sheffield
Jai Alai in Tijuana
Short track speed skating at Silver Blades Sheffield
Dirt Diggers at Chessington (on World of Sport; total rubbish never seen a 2nd time)
Weightlifting at London Olympics
Freestyle wrestling at London Olympics
Netball Surrey v Loughborough
Boxing at Central YMCA
Fencing Seymore Halls Marylebone
Water-skiing World Champs at Thorpe Park
Water-ski racing (different sport) at Welsh Harp
F1 and F2 powerboats; River Thames at Westminster
Snooker Manor Club Sheffield
Golf Middlesex Golf Club
Wakeboarding Willen Lake MK
Modern Pentathlon Crystal Palace
Triathlon Hyde Park
Beach Volleyball Manly Beach NSW
Korfball finals at Croydon
Pool Lakeside Essex
Multi Track cycling Skol 6 day Wembley Arena
Flat Green bowls Middlesex v Surrey Mid-Surrey BC Richmond

Won’t do 2 or 3 times seen.

SimonUpNorth

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
North West non-league
Had to dig through my records to remind me of some of these...

1> BASEBALL - 12 June 2015 - Amsterdam Mohawks v Saugerties Stallions in Perfect Game Collegiate Baseball League at Shuttleworth Park (0-0 match abandoned in 2nd innings due to rain). Had intended on holiday to go to football - there was none, so baseball had to do - would go again, considering I only saw 1 innings and a bit

1> BRITISH RULES BASEBALL - 10 July 1993 - England v Wales at Edinburgh Park, Liverpool. I was fascinated by what this even was and so travelled 40 miles on the bus to watch it. Was interesting but didn't go back again

1> HANDBALL - 9 August 2012 - Spain v Montenegro in the Olympics at London Basketball Arena. Always liked Handball and would watch it on Eurosport back in the day. Still only been to 1 though and I intend to see a club game at some point

1> LACROSSE - 23 July 1994 - Double header - England v Iroquois & Canada v Japan - at Gigg Lane, Bury in the World Championships. I had played lacrosse when at school so was interested to see it when the world cup of it turned up a few miles from me. Was alright but not interesting enough for a club visit

1> BASKETBALL - 30 March 1996 - Manchester Giants v Thames Valley Tigers in the Budweiser Basketball League at the Manchester Arena. A few Manchester Storm fans decided to give the basketball team a try as they also played there. It was alright but never bothered to go to another, though have watched many UK games on TV/YouTube etc

1> ROLLER HOCKEY - 29 April 1996 - Europe v USA in the "International European Tour" - It was a test event for a potential Manchester European Roller Hockey side. Was not very good and the team and league never launched

1> GREYHOUND RACING - 2 May 1996 - Belle Vue, Manchester. Not really my thing although it was alright. Did some token bets and made a small profit but less than bus fare home and never returned

2> CYCLING - 10 & 12 August 1994 - Kellogg's Tour Of Britain. Not sure why I bothered not only once but twice to go to this event - on the Wed in Liverpool city centre and then Fri in Manchester city centre. Lots of nothing happened, then some cyclists rode past for a few seconds

mxhornet

Reserve Team Regular
lacrosse - it was played very close to where I live and I stopped to watch it once. Then weeks later the local council decided that it was too dangerous for an open space owned by them.

hockey - twice watched Clifton ladies, who were apparently the best team in the country at the time, during a brief flirtation with one of their players, who I met whilst playing squash.
Off the top of my head I think Lacrosse is the only sport that fits the once or twice category for me, seen at Colney Lane UEA Women's team in a BUCS match. The only other sport that comes close is Greyhound Racing, having visited Romford, Southend and Yarmouth tracks once each.

piehut

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Leeds
Snooker Manor Club Sheffield
This has jogged my memory...

I stayed at Pontins at Morecambe (and maybe Blackpool) when one of the attractions was snooker exhibition matches. My dad took me to see one or two of these events, John Spencer comes to mind as one of the players but can't be sure after 50 years or so.

prorege

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Cricket.

Bored out of my nut after 15 minutes.

Ladderman

Reserve Team Starter
Basketball.
Harlem Globetrotters vs Washington Generals at the Manchester GMex Centre in July 1989.

Match report as follows...

Bounce, bounce, bounce, score.
Bounce, bounce, bounce, score.
(Repeat, ad infinitum.)

Forget who actually won the contest! ;)
That's not real basketball, though.

Watched the rain, and a bit of tennis, at Wimbledon once and the World Athletics at Stratford. Enjoyed both, opportunity hss never arisen to repeat.

Does watching 2 lesbians at it count?

jbattheground

Youth Team Starter
Handball in Berlin - German Cup Quarter Final in 2018, absolutely loved it. Great atmosphere, very watchable sport. A recommended evening out if you get the chance.

Basketball in London on a school trip - London Towers v Sheffield Sharks at the old Docklands Arena in the mid 90s. Not particularly enthralled by it, my highlight was former NFL star William "The Fridge" Perry showing up at halftime.

Athletics - my girlfriend at uni had been a decent triple jumper, so we went to an indoor meet at the NIA in Birmingham in 2000. Fairly enjoyable, think there were a couple of indoor WRs.

Hoddy1.

First Team Regular
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.

SME

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Bradford Park Avenue, Sutton United, Northwood
I have been a speedway fan at several tracks and twice attended additional events at my regular venues out of curiosity :
Greyhound racing (Oxford). Pub outing which I quite enjoyed and did have some winners.
Stock Car racing (Odsal, Bradford) - see Ostrich's comments, #8 above

pitch 63

Reserve Team Starter
I have been a speedway fan at several tracks and twice attended additional events at my regular venues out of curiosity :
Greyhound racing (Oxford). Pub outing which I quite enjoyed and did have some winners.
Stock Car racing (Odsal, Bradford) - see Ostrich's comments, #8 above
Never been to speedway, but in the early 1980s I lived about 3 miles from a speedway track and there were two large hills between my abode and the track, but the noise kept my young kids awake; always hoped that they would fall asleep between races but some nights they didn't.

Ladderman

Reserve Team Starter
Basketball in London on a school trip - London Towers v Sheffield Sharks at the old Docklands Arena in the mid 90s. Not particularly enthralled by it, my highlight was former NFL star William "The Fridge" Perry showing up at halftime.
You went to (London) Leopards v Sharks. At the time it would have been like confusing Celtic with rangers

mxhornet

Reserve Team Regular
Off the top of my head I think Lacrosse is the only sport that fits the once or twice category for me, seen at Colney Lane UEA Women's team in a BUCS match. The only other sport that comes close is Greyhound Racing, having visited Romford, Southend and Yarmouth tracks once each.
One other to add, tennis in 1976 I spent the middle Saturday ay Wimbledon, I'm pretty sure I saw more than one game but the only one I can recall (even then with some Google help) is Bjorn Borg v Guillermo Vilas (6-3,6-0,6-2) on court one.

Wheelbarrow

Youth Team Star
Stock car racing - out of curiosity as it was at Station Road where I used to watch Long Eaton Invaders speedway.
Volleyball, Beach volleyball, handball - all one-offs at the 2012 Olympics.
Archery, athletics, swimming, goalball - all one-offs at the 2012 Paralympics.
Ice hockey - twice, once in Nottingham when I was very young as my dad got free tickets from work, then once a few years back at Belfast when we were staying in the hotel next door on a football trip and discovered there was a game on that evening.
Basketball - on holiday in New Orleans, Pelicans v Boston Celtics.
American football - twice, once in New Orleans on the same trip and once for one of the Twickenham games.

I'll be breaking my tennis duck at Wimbledon shortly as I won Centre Court hospitality tickets in a ballot at work.

glossop terrace

Junior Team Hopeful
Only a few sports only tried once or twice

Horse racing at Chester

Amateur Athletics Association at White City

Power boating in the English Channel

Cycling in Liverpool although have been held up on quite a few occasions by local events and even in the sixties by the Milk Race coming out of Cardiff.

Distant memory of Motor racing at an aerodrome near Doncaster in the early sixties very noisy.

Kirby Knitters

First Team Star
Aussie Rules. Hawthorn v Heatherton at the MCG but made no record of attending the game as i walked out bored!

Ice Hockey. New York Rangers v Washington Capitols at MSG where again i made no record but found it slightly better than the above but still didn't really understand the rules however i watched the game in its entirety.

johnr

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
NUFC (retired)
Cricket twice, once at Lords Eng v NZ early 70s then Glos v Northants Sunday match at Moreton in Marsh in 1983 I think

Gaelic football at Wembley, used to be a big event with Irish county teams in early 70s

Baseball once, 1972 Oakland v Texas Rangers 0-0 sums up my luck!!

To digress, once at Opera and once at Ballet never again.

hantslondoner

Reserve Team Starter
Hurling - once, at Croke - Offaly v Kilkenny. Would gladly watch more.

American Football in GB/Europe - Portsmouth Warriors, Heathrow Jets, Munich Cowboys. Far too many breaks, will now only watch TV highlights.

Basketball - three times at Portsmouth FC when they were British champions. Not that fussed, too repetitive for me although can appreciate the tactics and skill.

Tour de France - once in Hampshire, once in Normandy. Big build up, loads of cyclists whizzed past for a minute, then it's gone. Another sport I think is much better on TV.

Athletics - seen a couple of international meets, not bad, would probably go again.

Volleyball - saw a German Bundesliga 2 match in Freiburg, it was OK.....

One greyhound meeting in Portsmouth - again, was OK....

Other potential threads - sports that you think are better to play then to watch, or sports that are better to watch on TV than watch live.

Ropemaker

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Hailsham Town
Baseball once, 1972 Oakland v Texas Rangers 0-0 sums up my luck!!
I know it was a long time ago but doesn't baseball have extra innings as some people don't like draws?

pitch 63

Reserve Team Starter
Forgot two sports -

American Football - won tickets to go to Wembley in early 1990s - bored out of my mind, but the hospitality package that we won provided an exceptional buffet.

Power Boats - twice watched in Bristol Docks - 2nd occasion a driver killed yards away from me and my then girlfriend.

Main Drain Man

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Kingstonian Ipswich Town, Rotherham United, Sheffield United, East Fife, Norton Woodseats (RIP)
This has jogged my memory...

I stayed at Pontins at Morecambe (and maybe Blackpool) when one of the attractions was snooker exhibition matches. My dad took me to see one or two of these events, John Spencer comes to mind as one of the players but can't be sure after 50 years or so.
If it was part of the same series I saw; only 4 players. We watched John Pulman v Ray Reardon; the other 2 being Alex Higgins and John Spencer. Surreal moment was when sweet old Pulman, who gave the impression of being a favourite grandad, sat with us after missing a pot and referred to the venue as "being worse than playing in f*****g Piccadilly Circus". Only obtained tickets as one of my mate's dad was a club member.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock