Sports that you have spectated at only once or twice.

piehut

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Leeds
I've been to many football, rugby league and cricket matches over the years but I've only been to....

One Speedway meeting (Halifax Dukes v Wimbledon at The Shay on 1/8/1981)

and two Rugby Union matches (Wakefield v Leicester in the 1976/77 John Player Cup Round 1 - the game was played at Headingley RU's ground at Clarence Field, Kirkstall, and Leeds v Morley at Headingley stadium).

Anyone else?

Manchester Warrior

Reserve Team Sub
Basketball.
Harlem Globetrotters vs Washington Generals at the Manchester GMex Centre in July 1989.

Match report as follows...

Bounce, bounce, bounce, score.
Bounce, bounce, bounce, score.
(Repeat, ad infinitum.)

Forget who actually won the contest! ;)

pitch 63

Reserve Team Starter
lacrosse - it was played very close to where I live and I stopped to watch it once. Then weeks later the local council decided that it was too dangerous for an open space owned by them.

hockey - twice watched Clifton ladies, who were apparently the best team in the country at the time, during a brief flirtation with one of their players, who I met whilst playing squash.

Stoodley Pike

Reserve Team Star
Dog racing. Twice. The final meeting @ Middlesbrough’s Cleveland Park then Kinsley. On both occasions, the people watching was far more interesting than anything that happened on the track.

Horse racing. Once, at Doncaster, circa 1972. Cripes, what a bore. My mum spent 20 years as PA to the Timeform Publications MD. He offered me, on several occasions, comp tickets for various courses. Never remotely tempted to take them up.

Cycle road racing. Once, circa 1987. A round-the-town event in Cumbria. Not for me.

rebus

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Wroxham, Barnet
Ice Hockey
London Knights v Belfast Giants @ London Arena

I won two tickets in a raffle for this match, which Belfast won.

Digdagdog

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Lancashire CCC, Wigan Warriors
Horse racing twice - the Curragh 1989 on a stag do and Cheltenham 2012 on a corporate. "Got" why peaople go, but not really my cup of tea

Badminton horse trials 2005 - corporate....sooooo boring and not my social set

Dog racing Wimbledon in the '80;s - corporate - not my scene

Ostrich

Junior Team Regular
Banger Racing if that's a sport .........
Dame here, just once, at Coventry's speedway track, Brandon. The stockcars just merged into a constant head-to-tail procession, no idea who was first or who was last.

Greyhound racing - 3 or 4 times I guess, at Perry Barr Stadium. Most memorable race was the one where my dog did a back-flip out of the trap, set off in the wrong direction, and met the hare coming the other way. Race abandoned. One of my mates wasn't a happy bunny, he had bet on the dog which was in the lead .... :ROFLMAO:

Flyball - a team competition for over-excitable collies. Demonstration seen at the Butts Arena before a Coventry Bears RL game.

"A flyball race sees two teams of four dogs each, racing side-by-side over a 51 foot long course. There are different tournament formats but each format involves racing between two teams at a time. Within a team, each dog must run over the jumps, trigger a Flyball box releasing a ball, retrieve the ball and then return over the jumps. The next dog is released, in relay fashion, to run the course but can't cross the start line until the previous dog has returned over the finish line. The first team to have all 4 dogs finish the course without error wins." [British Flyball Association]

One collie finished up half-way up the main stand, IIRC!

RussWWFC

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Wycombe Wanderers
Ice Hockey - a Slough Jets game in the mid-90s - tempted to get into it
Basketball - Hemel Hempstead - again mid-90s
Rugby - Wasps v Connaught - game at Wycombe - didn't like it, no desire to go back
Banger Racing - at Snetterton in the mid 90s

Wouldn't mind giving Gaelic Football a go, maybe Cricket too

Tykeoldboy

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Doncaster Rovers
Everton
Ice Hockey in Atlanta about 20 years ago
Drag racing near Derby in the late 1970's
Cycling road race just outside Amsterdam about 10 years ago

Cousse

Junior Team Regular
Rugby League twice, not for me at all and never been to a Union game.
Greyhounds 4 times in Dublin, Reading, Walthamstow & Romford from memory but was many years ago so might be wrong

Ropemaker

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Hailsham Town
Speedway - Once, Eastbourne Eagles at Arlington in 1970s
Horse Racing - Once, Plumpton in 1980s
Basketball - Once, Uni of Surrey side tournament game in mid 1980s
Baseball - Once, St Louis Cardinals v Atlanta Braves 1987
Gaelic Football - Once, Munster Finals at Killarney 1987
Hurling - Once, All-Ireland Semi Finals at Croke Park 1993
Ice Hockey - Twice, Nottingham Panthers v Sheffield Steelers 2003 and Guildford Flames v Slough Jets 2009
and
Cycling - The 2012 Olympic Women's Road Race went past where I live so I saw it for a few seconds

Skyblue tat

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Coventry city
Leicester Tigers
Leicestershire ccc
Rugby league . Once in 2004 . London Broncos Super league game v Hull was played at Welford Road (Leicester Tigers ).

Ice Hockey. Twice . Both in 2001 .Coventry Blaze v Slough jets and Coventry Blaze v Edinburgh capitals.

British Touring Car Championship. Once . Silverstone . 1998.

Tennis. Once . APT World Tour Finals . O 2 Arena . London . 2012.

Richard Rundle

Junior Team Regular
Seen numerous times
American Football, Athletics, Basketball, Cricket, Cycling, Football, Hockey, Horse Racing, Rowing, Rugby Union, Surfing, Table Tennis, Tennis

Seen once or twice
Badminton once 2002 Commonwealth Games
Baseball twice, once 2000 Olympics, once MLB game at Stratford
Golf once when there was a European Tour event at St Mellion many years ago
Greyhound Racing once at Wimbledon
Handball once 2000 Olympics
Ice Hockey twice - Vancouver and Toronto
Netball once 2002 Commonwealth Games
Rugby Sevens once 2002 Commonwealth Games
Triathlon twice once 2000 Olympics, once a local race
Weightlifting once 2002 Commonwealth Games

Sale Holmfield

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Altrincham
Very interesting thread.
I have seen athletics once in a British Athletics League meeting at Stretford, when one of the athletes collapsed and subsequently died, as well as lawn tennis once at the Northern Club, where John McEnroe, at his peak, took part as he was recovering from injury just before Wimbledon.
I have also played croquet once, which gets me lots of points in quizzes for how posh your are.

Mentions also for speedway and (field) hockey which I have seen more than twice but only at one venue - Belle Vue and Brooklands respectively.
I do have a feeling there is some other sport I have forgotten about!

ChrisHFC

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Hendon
Almost 70 years since the first football match I can remember attending - Arsenal 2 WBA 2 at Highbury in the early 1950s (1952 I think - Doug Lishman scored twice for the Gunners) - plenty of matches at various grounds since, mainly while supporting Hendon since January 1960.
Lots of cricket at Lord's and occasionally The Oval and several other grounds, again going back to the early 1950s, also regular attendance at South Hampstead Cricket Club in the 1960s, occasionally assisting there in the scorebox.
Fairly regular attendance at the Inter-County Athletics Championships at White City in the 1960s, plus several meetings at Crystal Palace, and the 1970 Commonwealth Games in Edinburgh (athletics only).

Sports I've only attended once (from memory, which is not as reliable as it used to be):

British Gymnastics Championships at the Royal Albert Hall - can't remember when, but many years ago;
Rugby Union at Vicarage Road - Saracens v an Italian side in a European club match around 2012 (not impressed);
Motor Racing at Snetterton in the late 1960s;
Rugby Sevens at a minor level when I was pressganged into supporting my works team in a tournament;
Amateur boxing at club level - my then girlfriend's family were providing the St John's Ambulance support to the event.
Last round of the 1970 British Open at St Andrews, when Doug Sanders missed a two and a half foot putt at the 72nd hole to win, and instead tied with Jack Nicklaus who won the 18 hole playoff the following day.

Of those sports I've only seen live once, the only one I'd be happy to repeat is the golf (though not necessarily the British Open).

Hornchurchspur

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Tottenham, Cambridge City
Plenty of one-offs at London 2012 :
Field Hockey
Eventing - cross country phase
Handball
Boxing
Greco Roman wrestling

I've also once went to "professional wrestling" whilst at the seaside in the 60s - can't remember who was performing but it was at the time of Mick McManus, Jackie Pallo, Kent Walton etc

Baseball at the Charleston Riverdogs in South Carolina
Show Jumping at Hickstead
London Marathon
Oxford v Cambridge Boat Race on the Thames - a damn long wait for a thirty second view of the two crews.

Tim

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Stourbridge, Welton Rovers
Horse racing - Aintree
Speedway - Cradley Heath
Wrestling - Bristol
Rugby Union - Stourbridge
Baseball - Montreal Expos
Five a side football - Wembley Empire Pool

Ropemaker

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Hailsham Town
Speedway - Once, Eastbourne Eagles at Arlington in 1970s
Horse Racing - Once, Plumpton in 1980s
Basketball - Once, Uni of Surrey side tournament game in mid 1980s
Baseball - Once, St Louis Cardinals v Atlanta Braves 1987
Gaelic Football - Once, Munster Finals at Killarney 1987
Hurling - Once, All-Ireland Semi Finals at Croke Park 1993
Ice Hockey - Twice, Nottingham Panthers v Sheffield Steelers 2003 and Guildford Flames v Slough Jets 2009
and
Cycling - The 2012 Olympic Women's Road Race went past where I live so I saw it for a few seconds
Forgot Boxing. Saw Jawaid Khaliq defend his IBO world welterweight title twice in Nottingham in 2001 and 2002.

Loiner

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
None
Aussie Rules Football at the Oval in 1989.
Greyhound Racing at the old stadium in Elland Road and also at Doncaster'
Horse Racing at Doncaster early 60's.
Motor Cycling -.Isle of Man TT Races in the mid 60's
Motor Cycle Scrambling at Post Hill, Leeds in 1950's
Wrestling at Leeds Town Hall when Jackie Pallo and Les Kellett were top of the bill.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock