Sports presenters mistakes

pitch 63

Reserve Team Hopeful
On Tuesday evening whilst watching the Barcelona v Paris St Germain match we were frequently told that Liverpool were leading in Leipzig. Only problem the match was played in Budapest.

Lord Lucan

Reserve Team Starter
Classic last night in the Wolfsburger AC v Spurs Europa League tie on BT Sport; We were told during the game that Spurs had very little experience to draw on in relation to playing Austrian clubs prior to the match. We were then advised of two ties that went back to 80s and 90s being the only ones. About two minutes later, and as part of another conversation we were advised (By the same commentator) Spurs had already played Austrian side LASK earlier in this Europa League campaign.....
Total amateurs.....(Those presenting as opposed to Austrian footy teams)....
And prior to the game we were told we would be watching events from the Worthersee Stadion. When I switched on part way through, the red seats tied in with that but it very soon became clear that the match was not being played there.

buncranaboy

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Bostock Stanley, Barnstoneworth United
And prior to the game we were told we would be watching events from the Worthersee Stadion. When I switched on part way through, the red seats tied in with that but it very soon became clear that the match was not being played there.
Chances are the commentary team weren't there either

Bigaitch

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
None in particular
Not sure about commentators mistakes but the BT Sport camera work at Torquay v Halifax is dreadful. Far too distant , not sure they have heard of a zoom.

Jaundiced Hack

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Watford FC, Bridgwater Town FC Club Secretary
Has anyone noticed recently that punditry seems to follow verbal trends almost ad nauseum? Only last season, which is decades ago, it was the done thing to lever in the words 'football' or 'football club' into virtually every sentence, as demonstrated by the likes of Tony Pulis, Tony Mowbray and everyone on Talk Sport. It would appear that has been replaced by 'this Leeds United side' or 'this Arsenal side' rather than just saying the club name. Possibly taking the US view of 'why use two words when 40 will do just as well?' Also making a very unwelcome comeback is the pluralising of the word 'goal' as in 'his shot just was inches wide of the goals'. Probably due to somebody having dug up Dean Saunders, who still does it, and I heard one of the female reporters do it twice the other evening before I couldn't take any more and reverted to Come Dine With Me.

Ropemaker

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Hailsham Town
Probably due to somebody having dug up Dean Saunders, who still does it, and I heard one of the female reporters do it twice the other evening before I couldn't take any more and reverted to Come Dine With Me.
That could easily be taken out of context:)

But on the subject of commentator/pundit trends, when did this use of "goal frame" start? Ok, there will be the odd time when it might be difficult to tell whether it hit post or crossbar but most of the time it should be fairly obvious.

paulh66

First Team Regular
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
I've still never heard any of them explain what a "false number 9" is supposed to be. Though I'm old enough to remember what a real number 9 was supposed to be.

Bigaitch

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
None in particular
I've still never heard any of them explain what a "false number 9" is supposed to be. Though I'm old enough to remember what a real number 9 was supposed to be.

You obviously haven’t seen some of the forwards my lot have had over the years Paul...some of them were very false...

paulh66

First Team Regular
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
You obviously haven’t seen some of the forwards my lot have had over the years Paul...some of them were very false...
If that's the O's then I'm hoping they'll play a couple on Saturday! ;)

The vulture

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Groundhog
Quest highlights.
In the week that FGR announce their kit will use some recycled coffee grounds, our oh so funny commentator got in endless pathetic coffee related references.
Wanker of the week.

Bigaitch

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
None in particular
Quest highlights.
In the week that FGR announce their kit will use some recycled coffee grounds, our oh so funny commentator got in endless pathetic coffee related references.
Wanker of the week.

I gave up watching that dross of a programme a few months ago. It got to the point where he could have received that accolade EVERY week.

Northstandexile

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
I tend to record the two hour show and then skip through the adverts and the comments and save about an hour.

The vulture

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Groundhog
I tend to record the two hour show and then skip through the adverts and the comments and save about an hour.
This wasn't Colin Murray, who can actually come across as "matey" unlike the totally wooden Lineker, but the bore doing the actually match clip summary.

Lord Lucan

Reserve Team Starter
Not so much a mistake as basic lack of knowledge. In the West Brom v Brighton game on Saturday, Welbeck struck a penalty against the post and then kicked the rebound back towards the goal, When an indirect free kick was awarded to WBA the commentator & co-commentator said words to effect of "I don't know what's happening there". One of them then suggested that maybe Welback had been in an offside position when the ball rebounded to him.

fatbear

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Brighton, Crawley, Oxford City, Thame United
Playing for Real Madrid !

Scotty BUFC

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Boston United
Not so much a mistake as basic lack of knowledge. In the West Brom v Brighton game on Saturday, Welbeck struck a penalty against the post and then kicked the rebound back towards the goal, When an indirect free kick was awarded to WBA the commentator & co-commentator said words to effect of "I don't know what's happening there". One of them then suggested that maybe Welback had been in an offside position when the ball rebounded to him.
Even Welbeck seemed confused as to why he'd been penalised.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks