Sports presenters mistakes

Oxpete

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
Carrying on Buncranaboy's excellent old era forum thread of...

...Starting with this old chestnut...

While listening to 5Live's commentary on Sheffield United v. Manchester United the other week, there was way way too many comments of "Oh, United are looking dangerous", "United are on the attack", "United have scored", etc etc. I think Danny Mills might have been one of the guilty parties? I wouldn't mind so much if it was a genuine error each time, but you know darn well that they only meant one specific 'United' and not the other! And they weren't referring to the original United football club...

buncranaboy

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Bostock Stanley, Barnstoneworth United
Carrying on Buncranaboy's excellent old era forum thread of...

...Starting with this old chestnut...

While listening to 5Live's commentary on Sheffield United v. Manchester United the other week, there was way way too many comments of "Oh, United are looking dangerous", "United are on the attack", "United have scored", etc etc. I think Danny Mills might have been one of the guilty parties? I wouldn't mind so much if it was a genuine error each time, but you know darn well that they only meant one specific 'United' and not the other! And they weren't referring to the original United football club...
Meanwhile on Quest, Jon Parkin told us more than once that Newport County had turned Valley Parade into a bit of a fortress - and,no, they weren't playing the Bantams.
A ground-sharing agreement that had passed me by..........:censored:

Ropemaker

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Hailsham Town
Also on Quest, the Nottingham Forest v Sheffield Wednesday game was apparently played at the County Ground.

Dr Love

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Halifax Town
The Times has the result for the Aveley v Carshalton Athletic FA Trophy match on Monday as being a 2-0 win for Aveley (which is correct). However, it's also listed as a 1st Round, second leg game with Aveley winning 5-3 on aggregate.

BlackDouglas

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, The Rangers, Rochdale, QotS.
The Times has the result for the Aveley v Carshalton Athletic FA Trophy match on Monday as being a 2-0 win for Aveley (which is correct). However, it's also listed as a 1st Round, second leg game with Aveley winning 5-3 on aggregate.
Flashscores does this on the match page. Seems whoever codes the software has no concept of replays.

Stoodley Pike

Junior Team Star
Kevin Howells referred to Macclesfield United during his 5 Live Sports Report read through of the New Year's Day football results. However, I prefer Howells to Charlotte Green.

buncranaboy

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Twice on MOTD on Saturday night, the excitable Jonathan Pearce informed us that Liverpool were the first team to score 50 league goals across Europe's top 5 leagues this season.
Excluding Manchester City of course. Pillock.

Ropemaker

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Hailsham Town
Caught some of the BBC Snooker coverage

John Virgo said the lowest possible break involving a total clearance (ie all 15 reds followed by the six colours) was 72, when it's actually 44.

buncranaboy

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
You're wrong; he's right

buncranaboy

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
....unless you pot all 15 reds in one shot...

ChrisHFC

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Hendon

John Virgo said the lowest possible break involving a total clearance (ie all 15 reds followed by the six colours) was 72, when it's actually 44.
John Virgo is correct.

For the lowest possible break involving a total clearance, each red is followed by the yellow, making 15 sets of 3, i.e. 45, followed by the six colours totalling 27.

BlackDouglas

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}

15 reds with 15 yellows 15x(1+2)=45, + 6 colours, 45+27=72.

Tykeoldboy

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Doncaster Rovers
Everton
Not a mistake, more of not realising football existed before 1992. Jermaine Jenas. said on 5Live that Liverpool could dominate English football like Manchester United did in 1990's and 2000's,. It didn't occur to him to say Liverpool could dominate English football like .... errrr Liverpool did in the 1970's and 1980's

Bigaitch

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
None in particular
Not a mistake, more of not realising football existed before 1992. Jermaine Jenas. said on 5Live that Liverpool could dominate English football like Manchester United did in 1990's and 2000's,. It didn't occur to him to say Liverpool could dominate English football like .... errrr Liverpool did in the 1970's and 1980's
Easy mistake to make, you have to remember that football was not invented until 1992....

OwdReds

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Accrington Stanley & Others
Commentator in the Man City v Fulham match yesterday after an injured Fulham player had returned to the pitch said that they were back to their full compliment of 11 clearly forgetting that they'd had someone sent off.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Not Association Football, and not a Sports Reporter

Kansas City, (Missouri)

Surely the President of the USA should know which state the Super Bowl winner comes from

BlackDouglas

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Did I just hear the BBC commentator say Oxford Utd are wearing Black shorts? Surely it's Navy Blue.

jrev61

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
None
Not Association Football, and not a Sports Reporter

Kansas City, (Missouri)

Surely the President of the USA should know which state the Super Bowl winner comes from
Part of Kansas City is actually in Kansas. Sporting Kansas City (the soccer club) play their matches in Kansas. Not sure Trump would know that though.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks