SPFL Proposal to Bring 2019/20 to an End

Kirby Knitters

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
The Knitters.
None likes us, well not until it comes to wanting a home game against us. Or needing a big hitter to pump up the tv deal, or lift Scotland's Eufa coefficient out of a serious nose dive.
Tell them to shove it. Memories of Dundee United squealing about Rangers refusing ticket allocation for Cup tie at Tannadice after the stunt they and many others pulled lives long in many memories..

Tykeoldboy

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Doncaster Rovers
Everton
Assuming Stranraer had won the South League would they have played off with the East Champions for a place in the Lowland League. Would reserves be allowed in the Lowland League?
I believe the answer to that is No. As it stands, or stood, when Stanraer Res won the SoS league there was no play off with the EoS champion and it was the EoS champions that moved up to the LL.

007Dale

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Leicester City, St Albans City
Looks like Ross County will vote against. They are not adverse to B teams, but not this season.

prorege

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
The Sons Trust, Dumbarton Supporters Trust and major shareholders in the club have issued a statement strongly opposing Colt teams.

"THE SONSTRUST would like to reaffirm its opposition to the idea of ‘colt teams’ being introduced into the SPFL League system. In a consultation conducted in 2018, 89% of Trust members voted against the idea of having Colt teams play in our lower leagues, and it is also the unanimous position of the Sonstrust Board. We would therefore firmly oppose any league reconstruction proposals which introduced colt teams into the bottom tier.

We believe the democratic principle of ‘one club, one team’ should be upheld, and to see the lower tier devalued into little more than a development league for the top two sides in Scotland to test their youth against is something we could not support under any circumstances. This opportunistic attempt to use the crisis in Scottish football to shoehorn their development sides into the lower leagues, with the promises of guaranteed ticket sales and joining fees should be recognised as no more than a bribe – one that compromises the integrity of the competition. We believe that whatever financial benefit can be obtained by admitting colt teams into the league will be outweighed by the loss of revenue and goodwill from our supporters who overwhelmingly oppose the idea. The low attendances and boycotts at Challenge Cup fixtures involving colt teams both at The Rock and at many other grounds across Scotland show that there is little appetite to see the introduction of colt teams into the league.

The Sonstrust will therefore be making firm representations to the Club in opposition to any reconstruction proposal involving colt teams being introduced into the league setup. No matter the financial gain, the Club should not sells its soul by voting for such a proposal and risk antagonising its supporters who have been incredibly generous to the club over the past few months, rallying around and contributing financially to help ensure the future of our club."

SotonSats

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Southend United
Southampton and Hampshire
AFC Totton
See Amiens, Toulouse and Beveren Waas all won their cases against relegation in prematurely ended seasons! Might be worth considering these outcomes before making costly errors of final decisions!

prorege

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Difference is that the decision was imposed in those countries. In Scotland it was agreed by a vote of the member clubs.

paulh66

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
The point of law in play in the French case is that the original decision to relegate was based on the fact that the agreement between the league and the French FA provides for a limit of 20 clubs in Ligue 1. But this agreement expires on June 30, after which a new one will have to be put in place.

As such, the court ruling requires the league to rethink its format for next season, though it doesn't compel them to run with two extra clubs. It's only a suspension of the original decision to relegate. No idea if that'll prove to be moot.

SotonSats

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Southend United
AFC Totton
Difference is that the decision was imposed in those countries. In Scotland it was agreed by a vote of the member clubs.
Gicumbi FC and Heroes FC have lost their appeal case in which they sought to reverse the decision which saw them relegated to the Ferwafa Men’s Second Division. Rwanda.

SotonSats

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Southend United
AFC Totton
The point of law in play in the French case is that the original decision to relegate was based on the fact that the agreement between the league and the French FA provides for a limit of 20 clubs in Ligue 1. But this agreement expires on June 30, after which a new one will have to be put in place.

As such, the court ruling requires the league to rethink its format for next season, though it doesn't compel them to run with two extra clubs. It's only a suspension of the original decision to relegate. No idea if that'll prove to be moot.
I guess if the French & Belgian Leagues go back to their clubs and get them to vote the original decision may stand?

paulh66

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
No idea on French law or the detail of the constitutional and contractual arrangements in play here but, generally speaking, a vote of the self-interested doesn't necessarily magic everything away. Either way I'm not sure it's a ruling that gives Hearts much cause for optimism.

SotonSats

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Southend United
AFC Totton
Yes I hope once all this is sorted for this current season that the SUITS sit down and make Rule change proposals and get them passed through clubs in the event of the same thing happening again! At least that way everyone would vote on what is fair rather than self interest and no one has anything to lose at the time of the rules being passed! No one could argue then if there had been rules already in place!

prorege

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
In Scottish football it is not the role of the suits to make rules. They implement what the clubs want. The only clubs moaning are the ones who feel they lost out due to the.outcome of a democratic vote, conducted according to the rules the clubs approved.

Sacristan.Revenant

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Bo'ness Utd, Yeovil Town, Dynamos (Zimbabwe).
All this brouhaha when 14-10-10-10 could solve the initial problem, with proviso that a 'proper reconstruction plan' will immediately be sought, however long that might take.

paulh66

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
In Scottish football it is not the role of the suits to make rules. They implement what the clubs want. The only clubs moaning are the ones who feel they lost out due to the.outcome of a democratic vote, conducted according to the rules the clubs approved.
In the SPFL case the outcome may well be watertight from a legal perspective, despite the obvious questionability of the vote. The point made was that legality doesn't automatically follow just because there was a vote and a rule book. Presumably Hearts aren't litigating anyway, in which case it's moot in this instance.

SotonSats

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Southend United
AFC Totton
In the SPFL case the outcome may well be watertight from a legal perspective, despite the obvious questionability of the vote. The point made was that legality doesn't automatically follow just because there was a vote and a rule book. Presumably Hearts aren't litigating anyway, in which case it's moot in this instance.
The important thing from all this is to ensure there are rules in place for this kind of event should it ever happen again God forbid. I agree with proreg that it is the clubs responsibility. But would expect the Suits to provide proposals on which the clubs should vote when NOT under the awful pressure they were all put under in this occasion i.e. do it in close season when no one has vested interest apart from thinking "what if it was me".

Cowden Andy

Junior Team Sub
The important thing from all this is to ensure there are rules in place for this kind of event should it ever happen again God forbid. I agree with proreg that it is the clubs responsibility. But would expect the Suits to provide proposals on which the clubs should vote when NOT under the awful pressure they were all put under in this occasion i.e. do it in close season when no one has vested interest apart from thinking "what if it was me".
It’s a one in a life time experience which has caught out the whole world so understandable different countries have had their own take on trivial matters like football.
I suppose for the future they can have an agreement in place to decide what to do whether the average points or null and void.
The whole carry on has really put me off football with all the shenanigans which have taken place, feel sorry for those who have been relegated or missed out on play offs but others have just Moaned for the sake of it.
At least a firm rule on what to do would cut out that crap.

SotonSats

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Southend United
AFC Totton
I think this situation needs impartiality and the one thing the clubs have shown is they are incapable of being impartial! There are occasions where impartiality is essentail! Thats what SUITS are for!

SotonSats

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Southend United
AFC Totton
It’s a one in a life time experience which has caught out the whole world so understandable different countries have had their own take on trivial matters like football.
I suppose for the future they can have an agreement in place to decide what to do whether the average points or null and void.
The whole carry on has really put me off football with all the shenanigans which have taken place, feel sorry for those who have been relegated or missed out on play offs but others have just Moaned for the sake of it.
At least a firm rule on what to do would cut out that crap.
Exactly!

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks