SPFL Proposal to Bring 2019/20 to an End

prorege

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Brora and Kelty have not earned the right to play in the SPFL.

The rules say that to be promoted they must win a Play off against Club 42.

In the five years of the Play off Club 42 has won three out of five - Montrose x 1, Cowdenbeath x 2.

If the SPFL chooses to enlarge then that is a different matter. However, my reading of things is that should actually be done by application with any suitable club able to throw their hat into the ring, not by cherry-picking two teams.

If your logic is that you cannot relegate Stranraer and Partick because the season wasn't finished, then you surely cannot promote Edinburgh City and Falkirk. They could just as easily have been caught for second place as Partick or Stranraer might have clawed their way to safety. Equally, had they gone into the Play Offs they might have failed. Airdrie, Montrose, East Fife, Cowdenbeath, Annan Athletic and Elgin City would certainly dispute your logic.

A decision was taken, by agreement of the clubs, to end the season and calculate tables on a PPG basis. They agreed to cancel the Play Offs and operate a one-up one-down system based on the PPG outcome.

As for "reconstruction", that has never been on the table this Spring. What has been on the table is "short term self preservation" on the part of a few clubs. Their whining and moaning should not distract from the fact that a clear majorty of SPFL clubs are happy with the status quo and happy with the decisions taken.

SotonSats

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Southend United
Southampton and Hampshire
AFC Totton
But they didnt know what they were playing for this season!!! No one did! Sorry I really am trying to stop!

SotonSats

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Southend United
AFC Totton
Brora and Kelty have not earned the right to play in the SPFL.

The rules say that to be promoted they must win a Play off against Club 42.

In the five years of the Play off Club 42 has won three out of five - Montrose x 1, Cowdenbeath x 2.

If the SPFL chooses to enlarge then that is a different matter. However, my reading of things is that should actually be done by application with any suitable club able to throw their hat into the ring, not by cherry-picking two teams.

If your logic is that you cannot relegate Stranraer and Partick because the season wasn't finished, then you surely cannot promote Edinburgh City and Falkirk. They could just as easily have been caught for second place as Partick or Stranraer might have clawed their way to safety. Equally, had they gone into the Play Offs they might have failed. Airdrie, Montrose, East Fife, Cowdenbeath, Annan Athletic and Elgin City would certainly dispute your logic.

A decision was taken, by agreement of the clubs, to end the season and calculate tables on a PPG basis. They agreed to cancel the Play Offs and operate a one-up one-down system based on the PPG outcome.

As for "reconstruction", that has never been on the table this Spring. What has been on the table is "short term self preservation" on the part of a few clubs. Their whining and moaning should not distract from the fact that a clear majorty of SPFL clubs are happy with the status quo and happy with the decisions taken.
OK you win! Roll on August 1st

SotonSats

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Southend United
AFC Totton
But the rules also say teams will play X number of games H & A and also say there will be play offs and there are a host of other rules not complied with this season through no fault of the victims or the gainers! But August 1st will be upon us before we know it and hopefully the wrongs can be righted on the pitch, oh I forgot they can't! be!

prorege

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
And this afternoon we have confirmation that the Premiership 2020/1 will start in August, behind closed doors.

Clubs hopeful of getting fans back in with restricted capacities from November, and cautiously hopeful of full admission by January 2021.

Looks like a very good deal done by the SPFL to avoid penalties for defaulting on the 2019/20 deal.

"Scottish Premiership scheduled to resume in August

The Scottish Professional Football League and Sky Sports have agreed terms that provide a framework for the top-flight of Scottish football to resume in August.

The Scottish Premiership clubs will create a ‘virtual season ticket’ for the 2020/21 season, providing an alternative source of matchday income while social distancing measures prevent fans from attending matches. During the 2020/21 season, each Premiership club will be able to sell a package to season ticket holders to watch all home games.

From August, Sky Sports will be the only broadcaster to offer live coverage of the SPFL with 48 games available on the new home of Scottish football, as Celtic aim to make history and win a tenth consecutive title. The return of a new season in Scotland at the beginning of August would follow on from the conclusion of the English Premier League season.

The SPFL and Sky have also agreed to spread the financial settlement for the games unable to be completed in Season 2019/20 across the term of the new five-year contract, providing security and financial stability to the competition and its clubs.

SPFL Chief Executive Neil Doncaster said: “This is an innovative and pragmatic solution to the challenges posed by Covid-19 and I’m grateful for the flexibility shown by our clubs and by Sky Sports.

“This agreement means that any liability for games not delivered during Season 2019/20 has now been settled, on terms that reflect Sky’s status as a committed partner and supporter of Scottish football.”

Rob Webster, Managing Director of Sky Sports, said: “Sky Sports is proud of our long-standing relationship with Scottish football and we have been committed to finding a positive solution for the SPFL and clubs. The virtual season ticket for the 2020/21 season is an innovative way to maintain the connection with fans and provide economic stability for the clubs, and we are very happy to support it.

“The new season promises to be a unique experience for the Scottish Premiership and our approach is to be as flexible and supportive of the clubs as we can be in these unique times.”

Chris1963

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Oxford United / groundhopper
So games could be played behind closed doors as late as October? As I have mentioned elsewhere, Hungary was admitting spectators to top division matches last weekend, with a crowd of 2,225 at Diosgyor.

007Dale

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Leicester City, St Albans City
For a number of premier league clubs the capacity far exceeds average attendances. Clubs like Kilmarnock, Motherwell, St Johnstone and Livingston, may therefore be closer to their average capacity by October.

SotonSats

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Southend United
AFC Totton
So games could be played behind closed doors as late as October? As I have mentioned elsewhere, Hungary was admitting spectators to top division matches last weekend, with a crowd of 2,225 at Diosgyor.
5,000 watched the Belorussian Cup game the other day!

prorege

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Hungary has had 534 deaths from COVID 19. Scotland has had 2,386, and that is thought to be an underrecording of the total. Hungary has ten million people, Scotland has 6 million.

Work it out.

prorege

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
For a number of premier league clubs the capacity far exceeds average attendances. Clubs like Kilmarnock, Motherwell, St Johnstone and Livingston, may therefore be closer to their average capacity by October.
All SPFL clubs are being asked to audit their grounds for compliance with different levels of social distancing requirements, both inside and out. Some have acres of space around them, eg StMirren and StJohnstone which makes safe queuing, ingress and egress easier. Some have very little space - Hearts and Raith Rovers, for example. Whether or not and if and when spectators get in will be based on a range of factors.

Cowden Andy

Junior Team Sub
Just because it’s happened in Hungry didn’t mean it’s safe to do it here.
I won’t be anywhere near a football stadium anytime soon.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
I think that it is all speculation at this point, and that the dates could be brought forward if the infection curve decreases (or, of course vice versa)

SotonSats

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Southend United
AFC Totton
So if Mr Anderson is prepared to finance the testing then behind closed doors could be viable from August 1st and allow European Competition to begin for the 4 Scots teams. Interesting to see down to what level? and now ND has devised a new version of Mrs Budge's proposals so still no final solution.

Chris1963

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Oxford United / groundhopper
Hungary has had 534 deaths from COVID 19. Scotland has had 2,386, and that is thought to be an underrecording of the total. Hungary has ten million people, Scotland has 6 million.

Work it out.
If any country is under-recording its death toll, I would have thought it would be Hungary as it is effectively controlled by a dictator (Viktor Orban) whose behaviour is causing so much trouble for the EU that sooner or later Hungary may find itself thrown out of the club.

prorege

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
[email protected]
If any country is under-recording its death toll, I would have thought it would be Hungary as it is effectively controlled by a dictator (Viktor Orban) whose behaviour is causing so much trouble for the EU that sooner or later Hungary may find itself thrown out of the club.
I am well aware of the authoritarian regime in Hungary. They imposed a rigorous lockdown early on which was key to reducing the infection rate. One of the few benefits of Orban’s modus operandi, allowing a faster easing of some of the restrictions.

piehut

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Leeds
Victor Orban and Ann Budge in the same thread, that must be another 1st for NLM?

Nicola Sturgeon and Alexander Lukashenko in the same sentence, I wonder if Alex could give Nicky some tips on how to get the Scottish game back up and running?

prorege

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
And overnight the £4.75 million has become just over £2 million.

Nothing to do with rejection of reconstruction, though.

However, the good news is that it will be distributed equally amongst the 42 clubs, £50k each.

Still very welcome.

SotonSats

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Southend United
AFC Totton
A single Biomedical Company could have a contract to test all SPFL players for COVID for a period of time out of that money so everyone could get up and running August 1st!!! That would work nicely!

SotonSats

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Southend United
AFC Totton
And overnight the £4.75 million has become just over £2 million.

Nothing to do with rejection of reconstruction, though.

However, the good news is that it will be distributed equally amongst the 42 clubs, £50k each.

Still very welcome.
Could that be why ND is suddenly trying so hard to sway opinion on restructuring? We are cynical chuckles! But seriously though even a little money will help the Part Timers big time! Anderson deserves a big thanks from all concerned! Perhaps a Cup in his name or another way of acknowledging his input would not go amiss?

prorege

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
I don't think he would want any of that. He actually wanted to remain anonymous. However, it was felt unwise for the SPFL to accept a donation of that size from an anonymous source.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks