SPFL Proposal to Bring 2019/20 to an End

SotonSats

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Southend United
Southampton and Hampshire
AFC Totton
Why would you bother after the split if you were not in danger yourself? Pointless matches????
Why would you ? For finishing seventh ?
A better option then assuming still 12 teams as now seems inevitable (sulks) would be to split top 8 more teams having 4 O/F matches more dosh Bottom 4 join the top 4 of championship. There would be a lot less irrelevant matches. With 4 European spots available chances are most of the 8 would have a chance at finishing 4th. Promotion / Relegation Group would also have everything to play for??? But then you have the question about Championship teams 5-10 and ad infinitum downwards. Just suggestions happy to be shot down!

Tykeoldboy

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Doncaster Rovers
Everton
Could you see Premiership teams voting for something that could potentially see 4 PL teams relegated in the same season?

SotonSats

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Southend United
AFC Totton
But you know it makes sense!!! More importantly it could also mean NONE get relegated which statistically is far more likely and will keep more teams interested for much longer and be more inticing to sponsors and fans!

Cyclizine

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Wick Academy, Ross County
The 12-12 into 8-8-8 madness (with a 18 team 3rd level) was proposed and vetoed several seasons ago. It's an awful structure. I don't mind the small divisions, if I was allowed to do anything I'd reduce the Premiership back to 10. As it stands, I'm more than happy to keep the status quo. 14 and above is a non-starter.

SotonSats

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Southend United
AFC Totton
Lets face no one is going to agree to anything unless the SPFL or SFA come up with something unbiased and of financial benefit to all. I live in hope! Everyone has too much to loose! So we are stuck with 12,10,10,10 if it can get up and running! One thing I think they should look at is increasing promotion and relegation to give a fairer chance to the 3 relegated teams (who lets face it have been shat on by their supposed fellows). At least they would have a sporting chance to get back where they believe they belong. Two up two down and include non leaguers in that! Certainly L2 need the fear of relegation to make them improve!! With the pyramid under the SPFL taking major steps to develope, the behaviour of some supposedly better teams will have dented the aspirations of any progressive Non League football clubs. Sadly.

SotonSats

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Southend United
AFC Totton
Sorry I was meaning 12,12,10,10 or even 12,10,10,12 not 18 ! The 8 split in the Premier would give 2 more teams extra O/F matches and remember there are 4 places for Europe so 8 is not unreasonable and maybe a saleable point to the Premier teams. It is a gamble for the Premier teams do we go for the extra O/F matches $$$$ and risk being in the relegation group also $$. The Promotion/Relegation 8 team group would add excitement and give sponsors more for their money but then no need for play offs? and what do you then do with the rest of the championship teams not in the relegation fight? Talk myself out of it lol! Just trying to think outside the box but thats not a good idea for kittens!

007Dale

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Leicester City, St Albans City
Lets face no one is going to agree to anything unless the SPFL or SFA come up with something unbiased and of financial benefit to all. I live in hope! Everyone has too much to loose!
I guess if the Premier League and Championship teams found a way forward that the League One and Two teams voted against, then they could always break-off from the SPFL as the PL teams have done before.
You could in fact argue that a separate organisation that looked solely at the professional game might be better than one that has to balance the wide ranging needs of professional and part-time teams.

SotonSats

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Southend United
AFC Totton
Apologies all its time for me to Butt out I will try and remain interested from a distance just hope you make the right calls for the better good! Nice chatting with you all even if we dont all agree. There would be no point if we all thought the same. Take care stay safe and be well!

prorege

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Auntie Ann now saying she has found some philanthropists {her word} who will give FREE MONEY to all the smaller clubs in the SPFL.

Provided they support her Hearts survival plan, that is.

Aye Right.

paulh66

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
Auntie Ann now saying she has found some philanthropists {her word} who will give FREE MONEY to all the smaller clubs in the SPFL.

Provided they support her Hearts survival plan, that is.

Aye Right.
BBC is now reporting it as unconditional, and quoting Doncaster as saying he heard Budge on the radio say it was unconditional.

SotonSats

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Southend United
AFC Totton

paulh66

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
Hope Tranmere get more mercy than Stranraer and co! Wishing you the best a Southend fan we dont deserve it hope you do!
Cheers. Yes, as we've already seen in Scotland, the decision-making pantomime is turning predictably ugly. Questionable leadership on one side, enough hot air to fill a flotilla of balloons on the other, and the National League drifting aimlessly in the slipstream. I'll doubtless have a bit more to say in the relevant sections of the forum in due course!

ComradeBT

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Wycombe Wanderers
The shenanigans in English League One has nothing on the implosion of Scottish football!

Throughout all of these posts I've not read a mention to the proposals that were floated about 6 or 7 years ago. I believe the source of review came out of, or was possibly led by, a Scottish supporters group representative of all (or a lot of clubs) across the country. The review (or recommendation) was documented from a survey asking fans what sort of divisional set up could be deployed in future. (I'm merely quoting the above from memory so forgive me if those sources are incorrect).

The overwhelming response was a set of supporters bored to tears by a 10-team Premier League, with a request to extending the number of clubs, increasing the variety of matches by playing different teams rather than each a club a minimum of 4 times (if you include cup games as well). Therefore, the league probably operating with 3 divisions across the whole SPFL and not 4.

Since then we've had, if my timelines are correct, the merger of the SPL and SFL into a single faction and the development of the relegation play-off from SPFL L2 - with the pyramid structure of the Highland League, Lowland League and now EOSL, SOSL and soon to be WOSL below that.

(You can certainly state the pyramid is a positive development going by the number of clubs transferring and wishing to play in the Lowland League and levels-below structure).

The biggest drawback on an extended SPL is of course the loss of Celtic-Rangers income for other teams and until that 'drug' is eradicated by a constant drip-feed of alternative income streams the possibility of extending the Premier League beyond 10 teams is a non-starter.

I enjoy watching Scottish football whenever I journey across the border from England, however, I've always felt a 10-team Premier League is a dull proposition and the 3/4 season split is something I just don't 'get'. I've always seen it as a comical/bizarre operation. I also think hooking the game and every other club's finances on just 2 teams isn't healthy either. A better outlook for the next 10, 20+ years needs to be engineered, surely?!

Anyhow, enough of my ramblings.....what came of the supporter wishes from this 'review' of a few years back? And is it, or should it, be revisited as part of the reconstruction talks? (which Hearts are right to put on the agenda but not to railroad through in just a matter of weeks, IMO)

Claret&BluePixels

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
South Shields FC
The 12-12 into 8-8-8 madness (with a 18 team 3rd level) was proposed and vetoed several seasons ago. It's an awful structure. I don't mind the small divisions, if I was allowed to do anything I'd reduce the Premiership back to 10. As it stands, I'm more than happy to keep the status quo. 14 and above is a non-starter.
I remember Rugby League did that 12-12 into 8-8-8 not too long ago, From wot i've seen, it wasn't popular with the fans.

It finished with this ridiculous "million pound game" too between the 4th and 5th teams in that second 8

prorege

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Auntie Ann has all but given up on her reconstruction proposal. Now she has to decide whether to go ahead with legal action. Seeking an interdict would alienate all of Scottish football and potentially lead to Hearts being suspended by the SFA.

Meanwhile, more has emerged abut the mystery philanthropist. He's multi-millionaire James Anderson. He's already given £9 million to Hearts. Now he's proposing to give £4.75 million to the 42 league clubs, primarily to help them with the costs of covid 19 testing. He says that this offer is unconditional.

A test costs £50. Players and staff would need to be tested at least twice a week. Assuming they trim their squads and backroom staff to say 25 people, then that's £2.5k per week. Anderson's donation could fund that level of testing for every SPFL club for 40 weeks - i.e. the whole of next season.

Moonhowling conspiracy theorists from Castle Greyskull pointing out that Anderson has business links to Dermot D, therefore the whole thing is a Vatican Conspiracy. Presumably they would refuse any hand outs.

SotonSats

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Southend United
AFC Totton
Now it is decided the the Prem will be 12 can the other proposals not still be considered rapidly! i.e. Increase Championship to 12 save Partick and Stranraer and promote Falkirk and Edinburgh Brora and Kelty? Sorry I know I said I give up cant help myself!

007Dale

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Leicester City, St Albans City
Now it is decided the the Prem will be 12 can the other proposals not still be considered rapidly! i.e. Increase Championship to 12 save Partick and Stranraer and promote Falkirk and Edinburgh Brora and Kelty? Sorry I know I said I give up cant help myself!
Reconstruction should not happen now. It should be considered carefully and agreed before the start of 20/21 to come in for 21/22 - that way everyone knows what they are playing for when the season starts.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks