SPFL Proposal to Bring 2019/20 to an End

SotonSats

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Southend United
Southampton and Hampshire
AFC Totton
OK with the 5 Premier there is no chance. I think it would have been better if it had not been left to Hearts. Their only stance has been has been 14 team prem and is basically the same as it was before. There were many other options that don't save Hearts but would have been better than the current. 12,12,10,10 which would have satisfied the 5 Premier teams not insulted Stens, Clyde, Forfar, Peterhead and Cove and would have given some justice to Falkirk, Edinburgh, Partick and Stranraer. Mr Darlington was very clever in his selection and should perhaps have chaired it himself and maybe the likes of yourself with no axe to grind!

prorege

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
The SPFL Board discussed Budge's proposal yesterday. They agreed that it should be put to the member clubs next week. There will be separate meetings of Premiership, Championship and League 1 / 2 clubs to discuss the proposal on Monday / Tuesday. It seems unlikely that the resolution will actually go to a vote as these meetings will kybosh the idea. Elgin City are the latest club to publicly say Nein Danke.

Tykeoldboy

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Doncaster Rovers
Everton
Budge's 14-14-14 proposal is only for 2 seasons. After that Scottish football goes through it all again, tearing itself apart with the teams that would lose out in the next reorg in 22/23 doing the whining, which might be Hearts again.

SotonSats

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Southend United
AFC Totton
The SPFL Board discussed Budge's proposal yesterday. They agreed that it should be put to the member clubs next week. There will be separate meetings of Premiership, Championship and League 1 / 2 clubs to discuss the proposal on Monday / Tuesday. It seems unlikely that the resolution will actually go to a vote as these meetings will kybosh the idea. Elgin City are the latest club to publicly say Nein Danke.
That is a surprise we were originally told that all L2 teams would ONLY vote and ALL Vote for 14 teams in their division? Wondder what has change to make Elgin review?

prorege

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Pure thrawnness, I expect. We suggested this at the start and you rejected it. Now you want it when it suits you. Sod you.

SotonSats

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Southend United
AFC Totton
Pure thrawnness, I expect. We suggested this at the start and you rejected it. Now you want it when it suits you. Sod you.
Sorry not sure this is meant for me but seems to be in relation to my Elgin question? I certainly have not intended to offend anyone? Certainly I have nowt to do with Hearts at all and I havent rejected anything so am a little confused? I am just interested and enjoying learning to understand how things work in Scotland (and the odd new word "Thrawness" I had to google it lol?) I have no vested interest apart from football justice which is something I feel very strongly about. I am a League secretary in Southern England but was born in Scotland and have always maintained an interest in my home country. I personally would have liked change and anything that would have allowed the Non Leaguers to step up! Again apologies for any misunderstanding?

prorege

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
It is not aimed at you at all. I am paraphrasing Elgin City Response to Anne Budge.

BlackDouglas

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, The Rangers, Rochdale, QotS.
Sorry, if we go for 14 teams in the top flight and have a 6/8 split after 26 games does that mean the top 6 will play 36 games, but the bottom 8 playing 40? How the hell does that work in a league table!!

prorege

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Wise words from the (other) Blue Brazil
Everyone is just fed up with Hearts bleating and moaning. If Budge hadn’t wasted millions on dud players, kept faith in a dud manager and overseen a stand building project that has gone 2x budget and still isn’t finished . . . Maybe they wouldnt be bottom of the league and maybe people would have s9me sympathy with her. She is now an utter joke figure in Scottish football.

prorege

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Budge now saying she will apply for an interim interdict to prevent football restarting if she doesn't get her way!

Tykeoldboy

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Doncaster Rovers
Everton
Sorry, if we go for 14 teams in the top flight and have a 6/8 split after 26 games does that mean the top 6 will play 36 games, but the bottom 8 playing 40? How the hell does that work in a league table!!
Probably work like in Belgium where the bottom 8 is named the relegation group after the spilt and the top 6 is named something appropriate.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
"The Old Firm and Friends"

SotonSats

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Southend United
AFC Totton
Probably work like in Belgium where the bottom 8 is named the relegation group after the spilt and the top 6 is named something appropriate.
Doesnt there have to be an incentive to win the lower group?? Maybe to be involved in a Europa play off? Otherwise the bottom half is pointless once the meagre one relegation spot is sorted maybe increase it to two relegation spots??? With 8 teams involved there would be more insignificant matches unless some other change happens. If 12 teams I like the idea of bottom 4 playing top 4 of championship now that would be exciting both to fans and sponsors and TV companies! Especially as Celtic will likely have won the title before the split even happens chuckles! Dont think there will be any change though unless one of the Premier teams decide they can start or go bust.

Claret&BluePixels

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
South Shields FC
The Championship group as far as I understand it

They have a top 6 and bottom 10 split after the first 30 games with the winners of that bottom 10 table able to take part in the end of season playoffs for a Europa League place...I think

prorege

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
We only have 4 European spots. An asymmetric split would be awful.

SotonSats

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Southend United
AFC Totton
Budge now saying she will apply for an interim interdict to prevent football restarting if she doesn't get her way!
To be fair I do think that whichever team it was in that position would do the same and not take it lying down and do whatever they can to "cheat/beat" the drop! What was wrong was putting her in the untenable position of being in charge of the reorg sub group coz everyone was always going to say self interest! Any proposals should have & could still come from the SPL & SFA Committees taking into account sponsors, finances and this whole cruel situation we all find ourselves in! It will be interesting to see which teams declare they will not start until ???November / January and perhaps build the divisions based on teams responses? Perhaps divide the highest 20-24 that want to play from August (behind doors or otherwise) into the two top divisions and the remainder into two divisions with the later start even regional? We may even find there are only enough for one larger division lets hope not! Only time will tell!

SotonSats

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Southend United
AFC Totton
We only have 4 European spots. An asymmetric split would be awful.
does the winner of the lower relegation group get a trophy of sorts or medals???

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks