12-16-16
30 game season, no way.

12-12-10-10
44 game Championship - impossible
Split in Championship? Unpopular

12-12-12-10
same problem as above

12-12-12-12
Are there 6 viable new additions to the SPFL?
Cake divided 48 ways. Unpopular.
Hi 16's can split after 30 top 8 play each other bottom 8 likewise. With the 12,12,12,12, all divisions identical split 6/6 just like premier does now! Not sure why Championship would be against split would have thought TV would love it! It is all about how it is sold to clubs and investors. But what do I know just trying to be open minded and fair to teams that I deem to have been treated unfairly. Sponsorship might be easier to come by and more enticing if it was to be seen to be more open and representative of the whole Country? On another matter I note you use the book as your logo does that mean you are the producer??? I might buy it this time as you are quite thought provoking! I see also there is a North of Scotland annual being advertised which also looks interesting! Thanks for your continued tolerance of my weird views!

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
If next season isn't allowed to start until at least October, a 30 game season might be viable.

prorege

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Yes, I produce the Scottish Football Almanac. New edition currently being prepared.

Currently 6 out of 10 clubs in the Championship are promoted, relegated or in the play offs. Next season everyone will wan5 2 home games against Hearts. In recent seasons everyone has welcomed two home games against Rangers, HIbs, Hearts, Dundee United etc. Not just the gate money, but live tv money as well. A split would accentuate the gap between the haves and have nots.

prorege

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Fife clubs
If next season isn't allowed to start until at least October, a 30 game season might be viable.
League 2 clubs proposed a14-14-14 solution. That allowed for a 22, 33 or 39 game season, depending on when it started.

However, the season is unlikely to start in the lower divisions until January at the earliest. There may not be any leagues in 2020/1, just an extended Sectional League Cup.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
I would propose 12-10-10-10? Would it work?
(as a general rule, rather than for a shortened season)

007Dale

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Leicester City, St Albans City
The way I look at Scottish football is this; there are 22-23 professional clubs, perhaps 1 or 2 who could make it in that category, but probably no more. Therefore, a system that recognised a split between pro and semi-pro might work.
I’d be tempted to go with two top divisions of 12. I’d follow the former rugby league model and after everyone had played each other once, take the top 8 in the PL and play again twice for the European places.
Bring the bottom 4 of the PL and top 4 of then Championship together for a promotion league and the bottom 8 of the championship would play for the Championship Shield and to avoid 2 relegation places.
Each team then plays 36 games.
Below that, depends on how many clubs you think could support national football in Scotland. Could be two divisions of 10, 12 or 14. But, I don’t think you could have regional leagues at an SPFL level (for anyone who questions that, I suggest you try and fill a north and south national league without placing Lothian Or Fife clubs in the North).

of course the PL clubs would never vote for it as it reduces their OF games to a minimum of 2, but i think something like that could make Scottish Football really interesting.

Tykeoldboy

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Doncaster Rovers
Everton
Wasn't 2-20-20 mentioned by another poster? That would be 38 games in tier 2 and tier 3, that is 2 extra games per season and keeps the number of teams at 42, giving Brechin a reprieve. Premiership could by 8 or 10 games leaving the rest of the winter months for lucrative tours around the USA and middle east.

SotonSats

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Southend United
Southampton and Hampshire
AFC Totton
Can see your logic of the 14,14,14 if the number of games can be adjusted once the start date is known gives that flexibility. Could even allow League Cup late in season is FA Cup is played? Shame it would stop Kelty and Brora but it does make a kind of sense I reluctantly agree. Trouble is I cant see the Premiership teams reprieving Hearts. Even in this thread there seems so much ante Hearts (expect a wee bit from Hibs (althouugh they would lose the local derbies?) but was surprised by the vehemence sadly.
I would propose 12-10-10-10? Would it work?
(as a general rule, rather than for a shortened season)
Suppose it give the options of playing 18, 27 or 36 matches depending on the restart date but would supporters be prepared to pay for season tickets not knowing how many games they would get for their money?

buckielugger

Junior Team Starter
And that's it confirmed . . . congratulations to Celtic on their second nine-in-a-row title achievement.

Byr bye Jam Tarts.
Except of course that Celtic haven't won it this season, and nor have Hearts been relegated.
Inventing outcomes by vote doesn't make them true.

SotonSats

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Southend United
AFC Totton
Except of course that Celtic haven't won it this season, and nor have Hearts been relegated.
Inventing outcomes by vote doesn't make them true.
We will know Monday. It is a shame that they are putting the restructure in the hands of Hearts. It would have been better to use Independents with the interests of football at heart (sorry no pun intended). Peeps will just turn around and say self interest like they did with the Brechin Chairman. Never was a time for independent views more important!!

Cyclizine

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Wick Academy, Ross County
Great stats, are there match by match attendances somewhere then please?
A chap with the username of Burnieclub78 on Pie & Bovril collates official crowds (very few released) and headcounts from the non-league seniors and juniors.

If you go to the appropriate subfora on P&B you'll find the attendance threads, he updates them weekly during the season.

Loiner

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
None
It seems that Mrs Budge is proposing 14-14-14 or 14-14-16 in her submission to the Club and SPFL today.

007Dale

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
It seems that Mrs Budge is proposing 14-14-14 or 14-14-16 in her submission to the Club and SPFL today.
The proposal is for a 6/8 split. Arguing the extra home games offsets the loss of a OF fixture in the bottom half.
Requires 11 out of 12 PL clubs to agree. Also, it would be for 2 Seasons.
Suspect it will get the votes of the bottom 2 divisions. Not convinced the bigger Championship sides will be thrilled.

007Dale

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
The proposal is for a 6/8 split. Arguing the extra home games offsets the loss of a OF fixture in the bottom half.
Requires 11 out of 12 PL clubs to agree. Also, it would be for 2 Seasons.
Suspect it will get the votes of the bottom 2 divisions. Not convinced the bigger Championship sides will be thrilled.
And this is the proposed structure;
Premiership
1. Celtic
2. Rangers
3. Motherwell
4. Aberdeen
5. Livingston
6. St Johnstone
7. Hibernian
8. Kilmarnock
9. St Mirren
10. Ross County
11. Hamilton Academical
12. Heart of Midlothian
13. Dundee United
14. Inverness Caledonian Thistle

Championship
1. Dundee
2. Ayr United
3. Arbroath
4. Dunfermline Athletic
5. Greenock Morton
6. Alloa Athletic
7. Queen of the South
8. Partick Thistle
9. Raith Rovers
10. Falkirk
11. Airdrieonians
12. Montrose
13. East Fife
14. Dumbarton

League One
1. Clyde
2. Peterhead
3. Forfar Athletic
4. Stranraer
5. Cove Rangers
6. Edinburgh City
7. Elgin City
8. Cowdenbeath
9. Queen’s Park
10. Stirling Albion
11. Annan Athletic
12. Stenhousemuir
13. Albion Rovers
14. Brechin City
Plus Kelty Hearts and Brora Rangers if clubs want to add them.

Sacristan.Revenant

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Bo'ness Utd, Yeovil Town, Dynamos (Zimbabwe).
And this is the proposed structure;
Premiership
1. Celtic
2. Rangers
3. Motherwell
4. Aberdeen
5. Livingston
6. St Johnstone
7. Hibernian
8. Kilmarnock
9. St Mirren
10. Ross County
11. Hamilton Academical
12. Heart of Midlothian
13. Dundee United
14. Inverness Caledonian Thistle

Championship
1. Dundee
2. Ayr United
3. Arbroath
4. Dunfermline Athletic
5. Greenock Morton
6. Alloa Athletic
7. Queen of the South
8. Partick Thistle
9. Raith Rovers
10. Falkirk
11. Airdrieonians
12. Montrose
13. East Fife
14. Dumbarton

League One
1. Clyde
2. Peterhead
3. Forfar Athletic
4. Stranraer
5. Cove Rangers
6. Edinburgh City
7. Elgin City
8. Cowdenbeath
9. Queen’s Park
10. Stirling Albion
11. Annan Athletic
12. Stenhousemuir
13. Albion Rovers
14. Brechin City
Plus Kelty Hearts and Brora Rangers if clubs want to add them.
Now, those divisions don't half look tasty! Particularly with Kelty & Brora in L1.

prorege

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Dame Edna's resolution requires 9 Premiership, 8 Championship and 16 League One / Two clubs to vote in favour for it to pass.

SotonSats

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Southend United
AFC Totton
Dame Edna's resolution requires 9 Premiership, 8 Championship and 16 League One / Two clubs to vote in favour for it to pass.
What is your gut feeling? Personally I would like it with the 16 (or even 2 smaller 8's North & Sth) but can see that bigger divisions may prove difficult if Coronavirus causes late start in the bottom division? Can understand the ante feeling to behind closed doors! But needs to know which teams are going to be ready to play at all! Difficult times. Maybe sticking with 12,10,10,10 or 12 would be best?

prorege

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Fife clubs
I suspect it has no chance. This would never have been brought forward if Hearts weren’t up the creek. Budge had never been a fan of reconstruction before the last few months. For some it is now personal, against her. I might, of course, be proved wrong.

Definite votes against will be Stenhousemuir, Clyde, Forfar, Stranraer, Peterhead
Likely votes against will be Hamilton, Ross County, St Johnstone, Killie, St Mirren and Cove.

As for admitting two new clubs . . . even less chance.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks