South Thames Cup

Rootn' Tootin'

Junior Team Sub
During a quiet spell at work I began looking through Tooting's participation in this competition (sometimes called the South of the Thames Cup).

Has anyone got any info on it? It seems to have been inaugurated by Bromley FC for the 53/54 season And I think they possibly used a left over trophy from an earlier competition. Anyway, it seems to have generally been an 8 team invitational although it did change over time. And it seemed to work ok for the 1st 10 years or so but by the 60s it looks like the finals and some semi finals started to be carried over to the following season. Never good for a cup when that happens. I believe we finally won it for the 1st time TWO seasons after we played our 1st round tie!

It looks like it finally ran its course in about 1971. Has anyone got any other information?

Roger

Les

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Arsenal, Brentford, Celtic, Kingstonian.
During a quiet spell at work I began looking through Tooting's participation in this competition (sometimes called the South of the Thames Cup).

Has anyone got any info on it? It seems to have been inaugurated by Bromley FC for the 53/54 season And I think they possibly used a left over trophy from an earlier competition. Anyway, it seems to have generally been an 8 team invitational although it did change over time. And it seemed to work ok for the 1st 10 years or so but by the 60s it looks like the finals and some semi finals started to be carried over to the following season. Never good for a cup when that happens. I believe we finally won it for the 1st time TWO seasons after we played our 1st round tie!

It looks like it finally ran its course in about 1971. Has anyone got any other information?

Roger
Here are all the Kingstonian results, quite a few v Tooting.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock