Social Distancing in Non-League Games

Kirby Knitters

First Team Starter
Team{s}
The Knitters.
Short of keeping the venues under wraps until as late as possible i can see no alternative because there are always going to be people 'taking the dog for a walk' doubtless with pen and paper.

Mark

Junior Team Star
I was thinking of going to Coxhoe a week on Saturday, probably won't now. Will Hurworth Albion come under these restrictions, I presume it's only a pitch but I'll be "walking" the dog.
Hurworth might be tricky as I believe the pitch is part of a larger sports complex so spectators could be asked to leave, whereas a ground like Wideopen is literally set within a public park.

Unicorn

Youth Team Star
Short of keeping the venues under wraps until as late as possible i can see no alternative because there are always going to be people 'taking the dog for a walk' doubtless with pen and paper.
2 weeks ago i watched a County League and there was only 9 people watching it.
So no problem there. And i would think there are hundreds of similar games.
Of course i did not know the other 8 people and they might all be dead by now but i seriously doubt it.

IAN S

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles & Kendal Town
I can confirm that I do not use pen and paper, nor does the dog.

LeedsPhil

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Leeds + groundhopping
The expression used by the North Caledonian League sums it up really. PSFs on unenclosed venues have begun. The league stated:

Please remember that during the current phase spectators are NOT permitted to attend matches. Please avoid unnecessary difficulties for the teams involved by keeping away from the games.

So if you wish to bend the rules, may your conscience be aware that you're potentially causing the teams you're watching 'unnecessary difficulties'.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Hurworth might be tricky as I believe the pitch is part of a larger sports complex so spectators could be asked to leave, whereas a ground like Wideopen is literally set within a public park.
So, Wideopen is really Wideopen o_O

I can confirm that I do not use pen and paper, nor does the dog.
I think the dog should learn

hamlet

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
anyone non league
These guidelines really are out with the fairies now,you can be in a light ale shop with total strangers till 10pm every night,but you can't be in the open air for 2 hours on a Saturday watching a game of football.As the man said 9 spectators at a County game l could go watch Ilford at Cricklefield and would struggle to be in near proximity to another spectator as you would at all of the Essex League Clubs and most of the Isthmian Clubs for that matter.Theres a running track up the road from me that you could lose 20000 in.As for the face nappies if they were any use why are we on the point of another lockdown?

Workington FC

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Workington Reds
Well I'm a bit perplexed with the arrangements for the Kendal Town v Workington game this Saturday.

There are no advance ticket sales and admission is at the turnstile only. The kick off is 3.00pm but the turnstiles open at 10.00am. Surely clubs want spectators in their grounds for as short a time as possible?

Kirby Knitters

First Team Starter
Team{s}
The Knitters.
At least booze can be taken out of the clubhouse at Kendal on Saturday but if there are many in the ground at 10:30 social distancing will be well and truly out of the window.

Kingsmere

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Rampant Rangers
I was at Tadley Calleva last night - while there were no unsavoury incidents, the chap on the PA had to make several pleas to remind a large gathering in the turnstile corner of the ground to respect social distancing. While a few moved, those pleas largely went unanswered.

The club had made an effort though, with markings around the clubhouse end and the right-side touchline to aid with distancing efforts.

Has been noted and action taken by the authorities, presume that is the answer. Two strikes and your out, of spectators.

Isaac Hunt

Junior Team Star
These guidelines really are out with the fairies now,you can be in a light ale shop with total strangers till 10pm every night,but you can't be in the open air for 2 hours on a Saturday watching a game of football.As the man said 9 spectators at a County game l could go watch Ilford at Cricklefield and would struggle to be in near proximity to another spectator as you would at all of the Essex League Clubs and most of the Isthmian Clubs for that matter.Theres a running track up the road from me that you could lose 20000 in.As for the face nappies if they were any use why are we on the point of another lockdown?
I think it's you that's "out with the fairies".

paulh66

First Team Starter
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool

hamlet

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
anyone non league
I think it's you that's "out with the fairies".
Every man and his dog including the one watching the match in the park has an opinion on this virus,l have stated mine and everyone else is entitled to theirs.Enjoy your games wherever you go.

Reactions: Nik

LeedsPhil

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Leeds + groundhopping
Well I'm a bit perplexed with the arrangements for the Kendal Town v Workington game this Saturday.

There are no advance ticket sales and admission is at the turnstile only. The kick off is 3.00pm but the turnstiles open at 10.00am. Surely clubs want spectators in their grounds for as short a time as possible?
Someone asked on their facebook : "Can you turn up at 10.00am and purchase a ticket then enter the ground later?"
The official reply was : "Yes you can."

I did that (albeit not as early as 10am!) for their FA Cup tie on Saturday 12th Sept. Nice place to stroll around, Kendal.

10am does seem irresponsibly early though - a recipe for some to have had too many, come kick-off time 5 hours later.

IAN S

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles & Kendal Town
So, Wideopen is really Wideopen o_O

I think the dog should learn
He learnt to use paper very quickly as a puppy:giggle: can't see many hoppers using it for the same purpose though.

oftenscore6

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
FC United of Manchester, St Pauli, Hammarby, Hawthorn (AFL)
Someone asked on their facebook : "Can you turn up at 10.00am and purchase a ticket then enter the ground later?"
The official reply was : "Yes you can."

I did that (albeit not as early as 10am!) for their FA Cup tie on Saturday 12th Sept. Nice place to stroll around, Kendal.

10am does seem irresponsibly early though - a recipe for some to have had too many, come kick-off time 5 hours later.
If the ticket sales opened at 2:30, you would have a lot of people there at once, and they'd have been pretty much as likely at the pub too, with perhaps less social distancing then. The longer the period the tickets are on sale beforehand, the less congestion there will be at the ground.

Also, people don't have to be there at the time the ticket sales open either, but they do run a risk of not getting in, the later they leave it. And they don't have to go to the pub for the whole time in between, it gives time for a walk or other activities, though I am sure I would be in a GBG or two in Kendal myself if I were there. Table service takes longer usually too.

Steveb

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
If the ticket sales opened at 2:30, you would have a lot of people there at once, and they'd have been pretty much as likely at the pub too, with perhaps less social distancing then. The longer the period the tickets are on sale beforehand, the less congestion there will be at the ground.

Also, people don't have to be there at the time the ticket sales open either, but they do run a risk of not getting in, the later they leave it. And they don't have to go to the pub for the whole time in between, it gives time for a walk or other activities, though I am sure I would be in a GBG or two in Kendal myself if I were there. Table service takes longer usually too.
And most people buying tickets will live in Kendal, in which case they'd simply go to the ground in morning to get a ticket, then go back home for a few hours before the match.

LeedsPhil

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Leeds + groundhopping
I am sure I would be in a GBG or two in Kendal myself if I were there. Table service takes longer usually too.
As I discovered a fortnight ago, Kendal is an odd place in that the only GBG that is open from lunchtime, even on a Saturday, is the Fell Bar. The others not until 3pm or 4pm.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks