Season 2019/20 over.....

Ladderman

Youth Team Sub
That's just a lazy cliche. And, from your previous post, presumably this separate body should be aligned with the professional game?
The suggestion that FA don't give a toss about steps 3 downwards has an element of truth in it, though. Certainly from step 5 down. If the three step 3/4 leagues have a united front on pretty much anything,- regardless of the effect it has below - they go along with it. Presumably because it's easier. The Conference, NPL, Isthmian and Southern each have far more individual influence than the whole of non-league football below them.
While I can see why they did it, the decision to void the season so early does seem to have been done because the FA would rather concentrate their efforts on levels they give a damn about.

Unicorn

Youth Team Sub
The suggestion that FA don't give a toss about steps 3 downwards has an element of truth in it, though. Certainly from step 5 down. If the three step 3/4 leagues have a united front on pretty much anything,- regardless of the effect it has below - they go along with it. Presumably because it's easier. The Conference, NPL, Isthmian and Southern each have far more individual influence than the whole of non-league football below them.
While I can see why they did it, the decision to void the season so early does seem to have been done because the FA would rather concentrate their efforts on levels they give a damn about.
I know its too late now but the FA should have written into its rules a procedure if a National Emergency occurs.
I hope going forward they put something in place.
Lets hope that they never have to use it.

paulh66

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
I believe that there is a group that is elected to represent step 5/6.
Where they consulted.
Is there a requirement for them to be consulted.
There really should be... but is there.
Will the league council sign off on the basis that correct procedure has been followed. If indeed it has.
Or will they consider that this decision has been sufficiently challenged by individual clubs and leagues to warranty a fresh look at it.
Its all down to the league council.
Anything thats said on forums is simply that.
No point in people falling out over it. We will not make the decision.
Broadly my point.
It's healthy that the FA's decision is being challenged but, until all the relevant facts are sifted from all the other noise, it's premature to say it's the wrong decision.
Sifting through what's emerged so far, the challenge itself doesn't appear to be a game changer. But that's only a matter of opinion at this stage, and opinions may change as and when the full picture emerges.
Though there'll still be grumbles either way once it's all done and dusted.

THDrummer1

Junior Team Star
This is trivial I know but all football is trivial in the current climate. I was talking to a player last night who was suspended for the first 3 matches of the 2019/2020 season. As this season didn't happen will he now be suspended for the first 3 matches of the 2020/2021 season? I would assume and hope not.

paulh66

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Some would say if steps 3/4 are unanimous on anything, the FA would, in principle, be right to go along with it, especially if the alternative would be higher levels of the game dictating the step 3+ agenda. It's then only a question of how much power step 5+ has, and should have, in setting that agenda.

Unicorn

Youth Team Sub
This is trivial I know but all football is trivial in the current climate. I was talking to a player last night who was suspended for the first 3 matches of the 2019/2020 season. As this season didn't happen will he now be suspended for the first 3 matches of the 2020/2021 season? I would assume and hope not.
I seriously doubt that would happen.
Someone messaged me yesterday and said do you think every team in England will be fined for failing to complete their fixtures.
Amusing. But i hope no one suggests it to the FA.

Kirby Knitters

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
The Knitters.
I seriously doubt that would happen.
Someone messaged me yesterday and said do you think every team in England will be fined for failing to complete their fixtures.
Amusing. But i hope no one suggests it to the FA.
Oh god , please not or we will end up with many clubs in severe financial difficulty by the time all this is over!

THDrummer1

Junior Team Star
Oh god , please not or we will end up with many clubs in severe financial difficulty by the time all this is over!
I would doubt that even the FA would be greedy enough to do that, but then again it is the FA and £££'s are their golden idol.

Ladderman

Youth Team Sub
I know its too late now but the FA should have written into its rules a procedure if a National Emergency occurs.
I hope going forward they put something in place.
Lets hope that they never have to use it.
There's generally a "cover all" rule that says they can rule anything in the event of exceptional circumstances. No rule can cover everything. If there had been a fortnight left in the season there may have been a different decision.

Part-Timer

Youth Team Sub
In order to do so you would have to come up with a definition of the phrase "National Emergency". As soon as something happened outside this definition we would be back in the position we are now. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but, to the best of my knowledge, no one on this forum or within the corridors of power had previously articulated concern, or proposed a resolution process, for football competitions in the case of a pandemic breaking out. The Standardised Rules cover such unforeseen eventualities:

4.2 Save where specifically provided otherwise in these Rules, the Board shall have power to apply, act upon and enforce these Rules and shall have jurisdiction over all matters affecting the Company or the Competition including any not provided for in these Rules. The Board shall also have the power to issue an order or instruction, by way of a Board Directive, in the best interest of the Competition, on any matter not provided for in these Rules, with which Clubs must comply or be subject to sanction under Rule 4.6, where any such Directive is inconsistent with a Rule or Regulation of The FA, in which event the Directive will not create a binding obligation on Clubs.

windydcfc

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Derby County, England & Borussia Mönchengladbach
Anyone know when the FA Council meeting is? I thought it was this week for some reason but not seen it mentioned lately.
I’ve been told that it’s being held tomorrow

Unicorn

Youth Team Sub
I’ve been told that it’s being held tomorrow
Thats it then.
We shall see.
Windy would you like to make a prediction or would you rather not.
This FA council do you or anyone know what their range of authority is.
Basically i am asking is their decision on anything final as far as the FA are concerned.

paulh66

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Council is the final sign off. They can undo the decision but, if they don't, it's binding. Legal recourse would then be the only option for the dissenters, if there was any grounds to do so.

The hierarchy in membership organisations is generally executive - board - council. For council to overturn any decision would usually mean the executive and/or the board haven't done their job properly, one way or another. As such it rarely happens.

Last edited:

Part-Timer

Youth Team Sub
That response is precisely the problem. I think we can all agree that we are in the midst of a national emergency. However for any rule to be triggered a "National Emergency" would have to be declared. The closest we have to that is the powers available under the Civil Contingencies Act 2004. Even in these extreme times, the Government have chosen not to invoke that Act. If you want to use another definition of "National Emergency" you would need to define it carefully or invoking any rule as a result of it would be liable to challenge in the courts, which rather brings us back to where we already are.

Unicorn

Youth Team Sub
That response is precisely the problem. I think we can all agree that we are in the midst of a national emergency. However for any rule to be triggered a "National Emergency" would have to be declared. The closest we have to that is the powers available under the Civil Contingencies Act 2004. Even in these extreme times, the Government have chosen not to invoke that Act. If you want to use another definition of "National Emergency" you would need to define it carefully or invoking any rule as a result of it would be liable to challenge in the courts, which rather brings us back to where we already are.
Please stop.
If this not a National emergency what is.
My response is not the problem. People like you are trying to be clever all the time.
It is far too serious for that .
This is a National Emergency and i am not remotely interested in this waffle.
Now say what you like because i am not interested.

Ladderman

Youth Team Sub
But his point is, if the rule say "In the event of a National Emergency the FA can do whatever the fuck they like" and the Government don't actually use the words "\National Emergency" the FA cannot invoke that clause. And some smart-arse lawyer - or maybe Nick Robinson - will use that to argue that despite his club being 26 points adrift of safety with a goal difference of -427 and only nine games left shouldn't be relegated.

Why we're not officially in a state of National Emergency is definitely open to question. Elsewhere.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks