Season 2019/20 over.....

SteveW

Site Admin
Staff member
.... it looks that way. The Step 3/4 Leagues want the season terminated as of now according to Twitter.

They haven't said how they will determine promotions / relegations or if there will be any at all.

For me it's just a lazy decision. All to do with player contracts ending on April 25th and money.

If football isn't to commence until next August we could have finished the season in 10 weeks, it wouldn't impact on player contracts and then worked out the logistics of Season 2020/21. It could have worked.

It seems that will not be the case

007Dale

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Leicester City, St Albans City
Personally I think this was the only choice. We’re not restarting any time soon. Normality to resume with a fresh season in August.

I’d use the current tables / PPG as a guide as how to form the divisions next season - no appeals. Some promotions, some reprieves.

No trophy’s awarded.

SteveW

Site Admin
Staff member
I really disagree most strongly on this one. Of course we are not starting any time soon but football WILL restart.
I refer you back to my suggestion posted on another thread which is completely doable:

"Complete the remaining season from September to October. (change that to Aug/Sep now that Euro 2020 has been moved)
Have a couple of weeks break in November/September, transfer window and the like.
Start the 2020/21 season late November/September BUT have all teams play each other only once instead of home and away. Some Leagues like the Welsh do this as a matter of course in the final stage and don't find it unfair.
There will be plenty of Cup matches to be played, you would envisage Step 5+ teams playing an FA Cup/Vase game almost every week at the start so probably still the usual Fixture backlog. Nothing new there... before this mess the FA were insisting that some clubs play 18 games in 7 weeks to finish the season on time. "

mayo

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Bradford City (lapsed)
Steve, I've read your tweets and I get it that you're not at all happy about this, but for me it's the most sensible and logical thing to do. I know that "sense" and "logic" don't come into football much, but maybe it's about time they did.

THDrummer1

Junior Team Regular
Personally I think this was the only choice. We’re not restarting any time soon. Normality to resume with a fresh season in August.

I’d use the current tables / PPG as a guide as how to form the divisions next season - no appeals. Some promotions, some reprieves.

No trophy’s awarded.
Really difficult situation but I totally agree with you. It's surely better to close the season by using the 25-30 games played rather than the 10-15 not played.
I would minimalise relegations by running steps 4, 5 and 6 at 22 teams next year.
Take care all.

sunny nunny

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Nuneaton Borough
I feel this is about saving clubs . Clubs can now make decisions finance wise that wouldn't have been able to make before the season officially ended . For me it makes 100% sense .

paulh66

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
The FA appears to have gone through a consultative process with leagues, whose position in turn has been established in consultation with their member clubs. The glimpses we've seen into the results of these consultations suggests no clear outright preference amongst leagues and clubs about the best way forward.

So whatever outcome is reached will inevitably disappoint many. But the process used to determine that outcome looks as good as it could be, under the circumstances. As such, there can't really be any complaints.

Last edited:

SteveW

Site Admin
Staff member
I feel this is about saving clubs . Clubs can now make decisions finance wise that wouldn't have been able to make before the season officially ended . For me it makes 100% sense .
Why is about saving clubs?
Very few clubs have lots of players on contract. If they do then that contract will end on April 25th and football certainly isn't going to resume by then.
So restart the season in August... it will take 10 weeks to complete. I really don't get why this is a problem

Arnold Snitchitt

Junior Team Sub
Very few clubs have lots of players on contract. If they do then that contract will end on April 25th and football certainly isn't going to resume by then.
So restart the season in August... it will take 10 weeks to complete. I really don't get why this is a problem
Steve, do you think there will be enough interest and players to get going again by then? I'm sure some can't wait. But maybe some will want to give it more time.

SteveW

Site Admin
Staff member
Steve, do you think there will be enough interest and players to get going again by then? I'm sure some can't wait. But maybe some will want to give it more time.
Well the season starts again in August whether we start a new season or carry on with the current one.

jrev61

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
None
I think it highly unlikely that non-league football will be able to resume in August, in fact next season might have to be written off too. My personal preference would be to decide leagues on points per game, although whether there is any promotion or relegation is a different matter. I suspect relegation will be irrelevant as so many clubs will go bust, due to the closure of their club house or bankruptcy of their major benefactor.
I also think that very few clubs will be able to pay players next year so many players will not bother playing, causing a shortage of players of a reasonable level willing to play for nothing.
This could be the end of the pyramid system as we know it. Anyone who expects football at any level will just carry on as before in August or whenever is being extremely naïve.

Ladderman

Junior Team Star
Ooooh a good scaremonger story. Do you relly think we'll all still be in quarantine in six months?

SteveW

Site Admin
Staff member
Wuhan where this started, first reported case on Dec 31st, if I am right has had no new cases in a week. Italy that is two weeks ahead of us has seen cases starting to decline.

I'm not following the news too closely because it's like googling a cough... scares the hell out of you. But that is my understanding.

On that limited knowledge I will think we have football in August, 5 months away or so

Haywain

Junior Team Sub
Wuhan where this started, first reported case on Dec 31st, if I am right has had no new cases in a week. Italy that is two weeks ahead of us has seen cases starting to decline.

I'm not following the news too closely because it's like googling a cough... scares the hell out of you. But that is my understanding.

On that limited knowledge I will think we have football in August, 5 months away or so
Wuhan has only just started to lift the restrictions on movement - it will be at least a week or two before we can be sure that they are in the clear. Even if they are, that’s been two months of much tighter restrictions than we are on yet.

SteveW

Site Admin
Staff member
Wuhan has only just started to lift the restrictions on movement - it will be at least a week or two before we can be sure that they are in the clear. Even if they are, that’s been two months of much tighter restrictions than we are on yet.
Okay knock my optimism if you like :p

Part-Timer

Youth Team Sub

The Government strategy is to reduce the number of people infected at any one time to below the NHS capacity. The lockdown, massively reducing contact between people, has been introduced with this in mind. Infection will inevitably decrease as a result, after a time lag. This has happened in Wuhan and has started to happen in Italy. When the restrictions are relaxed, infections are likely to increase again. If they start to threaten NHS capacity again, as the Government expect, restrictions will be re-introduced. This could happen multiple times. The result will be the same total number of people getting infected but over a longer period of time, thus allowing them to be better treated and reducing the death toll.

Deciding how to re-start football in these circumstances is futile. We must wait for it to play out then decide.

DonQuixote

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Romford [el revolución]
Everton [el revolución2]
@brentwoodSunLge
It's not shutting the country down that is the problem -
in essence that's the easy part - but the bigger worry
is how long it will take to get the [world] economy back
to anything like it was at the turn of the year.

"This business may last a long time" - Rudolf E Binding

windydcfc

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Derby County, England & Borussia Mönchengladbach
According to the Daily Star, the National League has voted to end the season, null & voided.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks