Scottish Football and Covid - January 2021

buckielugger

Junior Team Star
I think they should null and void the season for the ones already suspended in hindsight they probably shouldn’t have started.
Can understand why they kept the Premiership going this season for the media deals but everything else should have just had the season out.
And of course that was the choice of quite a lot of clubs anyway.
Choice will be finish season however long it takes, running well into calendar for next season if need be.
Or else, yes, void again.

Any re-start will only be possible once cases have dropped dramatically and virus rollout has covered most people.
And then everyone make whatever decisions seem best at that time.

Hoddy1.

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.

prorege

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Should know never to bet on Hibs.

Celtic cobbled together a team with a fairly strong defence and midfield. Their goal was a brilliant free kick.

Recouped most of it with a separate bet on Brora to beat Camelon. They left it late but came up trumps.

Leyther_Matt

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries, Hibernian
I had a 'double chance' bet on Hibs which is still running, though of course that will be ruined when Bolton inevitably get stuffed tonight.

Of all the 'Hibsing it' scenarios, last night will probably feature quite low in the scheme of things. That Celtic side was weakened, but far from 'weak'. Probably still a higher wage bill than anyone else in the league (fellow ugly sister, aside).

Cowden Andy

Youth Team Sub
I had a 'double chance' bet on Hibs which is still running, though of course that will be ruined when Bolton inevitably get stuffed tonight.

Of all the 'Hibsing it' scenarios, last night will probably feature quite low in the scheme of things. That Celtic side was weakened, but far from 'weak'. Probably still a higher wage bill than anyone else in the league (fellow ugly sister, aside).
Aye it was hardly a rookie X1. Made the mistake of watching it with the sound on bad one , wonder how the commentator seen anything with his head so far up Celtic’s rear end.

LeedsPhil

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Leeds + groundhopping
Given that the top two divisions are carrying on playing (not that I'm saying I agree with that...), and both divisions have no fixtures scheduled on the Saturday 30th January weekend, to allow for the Scottish Cup; why not get the all-top-2-divs Cup fixtures out of the way then, rather than suspending the Cup en masse.
There are 3 of those : Dundee-St.Johnstone, Hamilton-St.Mirren, QoTS-Hibs.
EDIT : and Morton-Dunfermline outstanding from the previous round.
Gives the TV contract something to show. Which is obviously the only reason the top 2 divs are carrying on with league fixtures.
Or perhaps there will be some league fixtures shifted into that 30th Jan weekend blank space.

All assuming we get as far as 30th January, that is...

Last edited:

prorege

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Having watched Morton v Dunfermline on the box last night, I hope that the SPFL Championship is terminated asap.

Cowden Andy

Youth Team Sub
Having watched Morton v Dunfermline on the box last night, I hope that the SPFL Championship is terminated asap.
Aye it was terrible. Notice the SFA have written to Championship sides asking them if they want to pause the season.

prorege

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Aye it was terrible. Notice the SFA have written to Championship sides asking them if they want to pause the season.
Ann Budge will have exploded again. Get it roon' ye, Jambos.

prorege

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Fife clubs
And of course Celtic's meticulously planned Operation COVID (Celtic On Vacation In Dubai) might yet get the Premiership season called off. Rangers fans will no doubt be calling for the campaign to be declared Null and Void, just as they were last season.

Cowden Andy

Youth Team Sub
Ann Budge will have exploded again. Get it roon' ye, Jambos.
Aye she’ll be getting a statement prepared as we speak.
Must be some clubs still strapped for cash despite getting £500k grant and unable to afford the weekly testing.

Cowden Andy

Youth Team Sub
And of course Celtic's meticulously planned Operation COVID (Celtic On Vacation In Dubai) might yet get the Premiership season called off. Rangers fans will no doubt be calling for the campaign to be declared Null and Void, just as they were last season.
I’m sure they will they won’t want handed a tainted title just like Hearts won’t want the Championship title through default.
In the real world it would even things out last season they were never going to catch Celtic who this season were never going to catch Rangers.

Cowden Andy

Youth Team Sub
I’m sure they will they won’t want handed a tainted title just like Hearts won’t want the Championship title through default.
In the real world it would even things out last season they were never going to catch Celtic who this season were never going to catch Rangers.
Got to think that with the lockdown extended until the middle of February that will be the end of the lower leagues.
Major problem is what to do with the Scottish Cup ties involving these sides.

Manchester Warrior

Youth Team Sub
Major problem is what to do with the Scottish Cup ties involving these sides.
In the 2020 season Coral Challenge Cup (i.e. Rugby League) the part time teams were effectively allowed to scratch and the cup draw was made again.

Obviously not a precedent for the Scottish FA, but just one possible work around possibility. 🤔

LeedsPhil

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Leeds + groundhopping
The SFA has shown that it is not averse to finishing off one season's Scottish Cup during the following season.
I would expect that such Scottish Cup ties will just have to wait until they are possible, even if it means not completing this season's Scottish Cup until after the summer.
I guess a lot rests on whether UEFA bins the Euros, because if not the season can't extend too far into the summer - players will have to be released to international duty.

Lennon doing his best to goad the politicians into shutting down the SPFL Prem season too, with that press conference!
Clutching at straws to get it voided.

Cowden Andy

Youth Team Sub
The SFA has shown that it is not averse to finishing off one season's Scottish Cup during the following season.
I would expect that such Scottish Cup ties will just have to wait until they are possible, even if it means not completing this season's Scottish Cup until after the summer.
I guess a lot rests on whether UEFA bins the Euros, because if not the season can't extend too far into the summer - players will have to be released to international duty.

Lennon doing his best to goad the politicians into shutting down the SPFL Prem season too, with that press conference!
Clutching at straws to get it voided.
Difference this time is it’s almost the whole tournament with the big clubs just coming in.
Last season’s one was easy enough with only 3 games to play.

Cowden Andy

Youth Team Sub
In the 2020 season Coral Challenge Cup (i.e. Rugby League) the part time teams were effectively allowed to scratch and the cup draw was made again.

Obviously not a precedent for the Scottish FA, but just one possible work around possibility. 🤔
If the smaller clubs had to withdraw then surely they would have to offer compensation.
In reality I wouldn’t expect us to beat Partick away, same with Brora against Hearts.

prorege

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Some Amateur Leagues starting to accept reality and saying no football until August at the earliest.

Little appetite to make contingencies for short League Cup competitions given the uncertainty. If play is possible then ad hoc friendlies in April and May will be the most to look forward to.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks