Scotrail Club 50

LeedsPhil

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Leeds + groundhopping
Good news for those of us who didn't see the point in renewing our Scotrail Club50 membership when it expired during these covid times. They're giving us another year's membership for free.
Valid from 26th April 2021. There'll be an e-mail on how to trigger it.
And the news article mentions the Flat Fare deals, so they'll be coming again.

piehut

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Leeds
The £17 Flat Fare offer is coming back...

'Starting from 10am on Thursday 24 May, travel anywhere in Scotland for just £17 return* until Thursday 24 June 2021 – with return travel available up to one month later.'

Are there any games on 'Up Norf' on Saturday?

LeedsPhil

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Leeds + groundhopping
How far north do you want to go?!

In the seniors, North Caledonian League (all 2pm) :
  • Halkirk United is a 3 mile walk from Georgemas Junction station. So you'd need to be on the 0700 out of Inverness, and be back at the station by 1645 for the last one of the day.
  • St Duthus (3rd v top in the top division) is close to Tain station. My target game for the day anyway.
  • Alness United are just over the footbridge (then behind the swimming pool) from their station. 2nd in the lower division with games in hand, receiving the whipping boys Scourie. There will be goals!
  • Loch Ness are walkable from Inverness station - on the 3G rugby ground south of the Bught, so guaranteed if wet.
Plenty of Amateur games to aim for. A recommended one close to a station would be Vale Of Atholl in one of the Perthshire Amateur FA area cups (mini-leagues) on the riverside park in Pitlochry. The setting of one of the bigger highland games, so with developed bench seating set into the grass bank and a superb twee pavilion. And give yourself time to also march a mile uphill to the Moulin Inn brewpub.

Enjoy!

piehut

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Leeds
How far north do you want to go?!

In the seniors, North Caledonian League (all 2pm) :
  • Halkirk United is a 3 mile walk from Georgemas Junction station. So you'd need to be on the 0700 out of Inverness, and be back at the station by 1645 for the last one of the day.
  • St Duthus (3rd v top in the top division) is close to Tain station. My target game for the day anyway.
  • Alness United are just over the footbridge (then behind the swimming pool) from their station. 2nd in the lower division with games in hand, receiving the whipping boys Scourie. There will be goals!
  • Loch Ness are walkable from Inverness station - on the 3G rugby ground south of the Bught, so guaranteed if wet.
Plenty of Amateur games to aim for. A recommended one close to a station would be Vale Of Atholl in one of the Perthshire Amateur FA area cups (mini-leagues) on the riverside park in Pitlochry. The setting of one of the bigger highland games, so with developed bench seating set into the grass bank and a superb twee pavilion. And give yourself time to also march a mile uphill to the Moulin Inn brewpub.

Enjoy!
Loch Ness will probably fit the bill.

Mrs PH will probably be accompanying me , and the delights of Inverness would keep her out of mischief for a couple of hours.

Are there any recommended beer gardens near the centre of town? The Beeb is forecasting a balmy 17 Celsius :cool:.
We 'usually' frequent the Spoons 'The King's Highway'...:rolleyes:

Problem with going farther Norf is getting back to Livi the same day.
The last train with a connection to Livi leaves Inverness @ 18.50, which would mean getting the 12.34 Wick to Inverness. Departing Alness at 16.16 would be 'doable' for future reference.

Just checking the NCL website and Nairn County A v Scourie on June 5th looks enticing...

LeedsPhil

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Leeds + groundhopping
The best real ale pub in Inverness is the Phoenix, not far from the railway station. No garden though.

The answer used to be the Castle Tavern, its triangular outdoor area facing the castle. But that was when it had the same owners as the Phoenix. They sold it to someone who didn't have a clue about real ale but continued with it - I had bad pints there too many times before giving up on it. It's a tourist trap, so it upsets me that they get the wrong impression about British real ale. Could have sorted itself out by now though, let me know!

The Clachnaharry is ideal, but may be too far out of town for you.

Within the city, the Glen Mhor on the riverside is is probably your best bet. Nice garden. Not a wide selection when I was last in there, but it was real ale (in the indoors bar).

LeedsPhil

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Leeds + groundhopping
Just checking the NCL website and Nairn County A v Scourie on June 5th looks enticing...
Presumably you're aware that they don't play on the first team's Highland League ground, but on the Riverside park pitch (also used for Forres & Nairn Welfare summer football).

Any trip to Nairn should include the Bandstand Bar (Braeval Hotel). Deservedly won CAMRA Highland Pub Of The Year many times under the previous owner. Good to see that the new owner has maintained standards - it won that again in 2020. Has an outdoor area, partially taken over by a beer tent when they have their week-long Beer Festivals - best in the Highlands. Good food too.

piehut

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Leeds
Presumably you're aware that they don't play on the first team's Highland League ground, but on the Riverside park pitch (also used for Forres & Nairn Welfare summer football).

Any trip to Nairn should include the Bandstand Bar (Braeval Hotel). Deservedly won CAMRA Highland Pub Of The Year many times under the previous owner. Good to see that the new owner has maintained standards - it won that again in 2020. Has an outdoor area, partially taken over by a beer tent when they have their week-long Beer Festivals - best in the Highlands. Good food too.

Station Park was my first Highland League 'tick' (Sept 2016 v Strathspey Thistle).
Cost me £38.30 return from Uphall, but I did get a 25% delay voucher because of a late arrival at Nairn ;).

I've never sat on a park bench to watch football, Riverside Park would definitely be a first in that respect!
Reminds me of watching Bradford League cricket back in the day.

The Braeval Hotel's beer garden looks well worth a visit.

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock