Saturday 8th May 2021

The Moose

Junior Team Star
ZUMMERZET CO. LGE CUP: DRAYCOTT 1 CHEDDAR RESSIES 2

ADM / PROG: F & N. ATT: h/c 40

Still not sure why Ashcott was called off, but it gave me the opportunity to go the hours drive to the sleepy village of step 10 Draycott. Roped off pitch by the hall which was closed. Changing rooms in the far corner & dugouts, plus the bonus of a rickety old bus shelter style of cover behind the goal. Just about still standing, despite the best efforts of vandalism by local youffs.

Not the best first half, played throughout in murk, mist & mizzle (is it really May?). The weather & poor fare on show, was top trumped by the scenic views, with the ground being in the resplendent Cheddar valley. Second half of the ‘El Cheesio’ was much better, with the visitors just shading it. It seems with the western league side not playing, a fair few have taken to following the stiffs. Three quarters of the masses were from the Gorge area, two miles up the road.

Just the three left now in this division, but all will have to wait till next season now. Hopefully by then, we won’t need to concern ourselves with any grounds being private or public!

KRTM 😎

Reactions: Tim

Pawn Of Prophecy

Reserve Team Hopeful
Surrey Intermediate Western

Lightwater United 0 Manorcroft United 0

Played at Lightwater Leisure Centre

Attendance - h/c 10. Weather - Very gusty wind and damp.

Lightwater Leisure Centre is inside the Lightwater Country Park, an open heathland area. Plenty of parking here. 1 football and 1 rugby pitch.

I picked this one as it was fairly local and was my seventh new ground in this league this season. However, the combination of a bumpy pitch, a gusty wind blowing from goal to goal plus two sides with nothing to play for eventually made for a pretty poor match, with little incident.

The LU defenders were all about 6 foot 2, whilst the MU forwards were all about 5 foot 6. MU were the better side but were incapable of stringing any moves together. A 0-0 looked nailed on some way out and when with about 10 minutes to go an MU forward found himself with only the keeper to beat and tamely hit it straight into his arms, I knew my fate was sealed.

GroundhoppingFC

Junior Team Sub
Yesterday I made the trip south into a very wet and windy Northamptonshire, for the match between Weldon United of Division Three, and Wittering Premiair Reserves of Division Two in the Peterborough & District League Junior Cup Group C at the Rockingham Triangle Athletic Stadium, the former home of Corby Town FC until they moved next door to the modern Steel Park.

inside forward

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
any and all fc
Thames Valley Premier League Division 1
FC Imaan Lions 1 Reading YMCA 2
att: 20

It was cold afternoon at windswept Whitley Wood Rec for this encounter that pitched 2nd placed YM against 5th placed Lions. The conditions did not help the quality of the game with the wind blowing straight down the pitch regularly sending well placed passes hurtling out of play with valiant chasers having no chance of catching them.
The Lions had the wind behind them in the first half and stunned their visitors with a goal within the first 3 minutes when YM failed to clear a ball into the box allowing Isaac Sedu to steer the ball home at the far post. Their lead lasted 30 minutes before sub Charlie Cooke struck with a fierce shot from well outside the box which the Lions replacement keeper had no chance with. 1-1 at the break and the visitors began to dominate with the wind behind them and it came as no surprise that they took the lead. On 78 minutes with the Lions defence expecting an offside flag the ball was squared from the right wing and Sam Tucker, one of three players alone in the box, fired home. The hosts failed to create any clear cut chances in the second half and YM retained their second place behind the the villagers from Wargrave who are yet to drop a point this season.
Interestingly on the pitch adjacent two of these team's rivals were in action with Eldon Celtic taking the points against Rotherfield United to move them into third place.

Main Drain Man

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Kingstonian Ipswich Town, Rotherham United, Sheffield United, East Fife, Norton Woodseats (RIP)
Was it the seasonal programme with a small matchday insert that was issued at their last home game?
Based on the description in last week's WDYG, it was the same shell , edition 2, with squad details and the day's fixtures/tables on an insert. 3 unsold copies were left at the sanitising station, when I went to powder my nose at half time.

trippa

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Rotherham United, Lincoln United, Lincoln City, almost every Italian team especially Inter, Crotone, Livorno, Ternana, Genoa, Turris, Andria,
Lincolnshire League Cup, League South

Nettleham 2-2 Wyberton att 30

The perfect antidote to two hours of agony in front of the television which had ended in Rotherham's relegation from the Championship.

Both teams had won four out of four at the start of play. It took only about twenty minutes for Wyberton's superiority to put them two goals ahead and at that stage anything other than a comfortable win for them seemed a longshot. The game changed when Nettleham's Eddie Davies resisted two or three attempts to bring him down, eventually going over when the Wyberton keeper dived at him in the box. After blowing for a penalty the ref was persuaded to speak to the linesman and changed his mind, instead giving a goalkick. Only two minutes later Davies scored a legitimate goal and celebrated with a knee slide, arms aloft, towards the linesman. The ref took a dim view and showed him a yellow.

The equaliser came late in the second half following another disputed penalty decision. This time the referee's award was confirmed by the linesman. This met with approval from the home support who had already voiced their opinion, in song, of the relative abilities of the two linos.

buncranaboy

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Bostock Stanley, Barnstoneworth United
Reg Molehusband Cup : Charfield 2 Chalford 2. f&n; attendance : 46 (hc)

Knowyourmarket had no problems parking whatsoever at the Charfield Community Hall, behind which is the well laid-out cricket & football facility. Catchagogoal, the Town Crier and myself all tagged along for the hour-long journey down a quiet M5 and having ascertained that the game was good to go, decided to repair to The Plough, just a couple of hundred yards past the ground, which has plenty of covered outdoor space. Unexpected ticks from Severn Brewing and Lucifer Brewhouse were most welcome as was the rare discovery of lardy cake on the counter of the garage across the road.
A couple of Bristol-based hoppers were also in attendance for this latest game in the round of group games in the GNSL who knew Tim of this forum but preferred not to speak about him; we did look for evidence of the attendance of both said Tim and The Vulture for the previous midweek game and although there was some broken glass and a faint whiff of urine in the cover on the halfway line, it was impossible to determine any link.
The cover was most welcome as the drizzle rarely abated and the game (Div 2 vs Div 1) was a decent well-fought affair with the visitors initially leading before having to come from behind to salvage a point late on. No other facilities open at the ground though there were public lavatories on the Community Hall car-park which were closed before the game had ended.
The local micropub (Pear Tree) didn't open at 16.30 as advertised, so we moseyed a couple of miles up the road to Wotton Under Edge for a fairly ropey pint in the Royal Oak before scoffing various goodies from the Wotton British Take Away; faggots, chips, mushy peas and gravy for £4.50 being my fodder of choice though most of the chips were deposited in a nearby bin.

oftenscore6

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
FC United of Manchester, St Pauli, Hammarby, Hawthorn (AFL)
Sheffield and Hallamshire FA Senior Cup.

Denaby Main JFC 2 Dodworth MW 5
F/N
Fosters £1.50 (Tins)
Att. 82 H/C.

Train up to Sheffield for the hourly Northern service to Conisbrough. I'm getting to know this route rather well!

Days like this i really wish i got out and about more rather than following a club throughout the season, i only tend to do early and late and i am missing out!!

The ground has history written all over it, fully enclosed and the former home of the defunct Denaby United but with a new changing room block which also houses the social club.I visited the new version a couple of weeks ago and enjoyable as it was it didn't begin to touch this place, i got talking to a few people and they were more than happy to tell me what had gone on, at times it was just like Hinckley minus the animosity!

Main have a decent following but to see shirtless fans on the booze letting off smoke bombs at this level wasn't what i was expecting but they were all good humoured young fans out enjoying themselves and added to the day.

The game? An absolute cracker with Main taking an early lead but twenty minutes later they were 1-3 down and were lucky to have not been on the end of a bigger hammering than what they got.

Roll on August with step 5 football and potential visits to the likes of Heanor, Uttoxeter and god knows where else to look forward to. Can't wait!! Yeah rite.
Also at this the game along with hipkissexpress. I've no idea what you look like, KK, to say hello.

Two good stands remain, though it doesn't look quite what it was. No floodlights but great facilities generally and a super tick.

Pre-match pints at the wonderful Cutlers Arms in Rotherham, which had 8 Chantry beers on, in fantastic form. The New York Pale and Styrian Wolf in particular. Post match ones in Elsecar and Barnsley were good but did not hit the same heights.

villan

Junior Team Star
Completed Staffs county Premier league at AFC Alsager 3-3 Audley & District ATT 101 h/c free ADM. Prog. £2

What a cracking game, end to end with both sides going for it. Hosts led 1-0 on 16 with visitors levelling on 37. Audley took the lead on 47 & game really took off with AFC seeking goals that could take them to top of table but visitors matched them. The equaliser came on 71 & then hit another on 79. The ref found 10 minutes of stoppage time from somewhere & the equaliser came in the 9th of those. I felt disappointed for hosts but really could not begrudge the visitors as neither deserved to lose.

Alsager hub has 3 grass pitches with the main pitch fully railed but no hard standing, cover or seats. Dugouts existed on near side with 3 cages running parallel, 2 football & 1 for hockey. A large car park also exists but also few empty spaces come KO time in view of other games in progress in 2 of the cages. Remarkably the weather held up for the match & good company from totallyuntamed &Steve Munday +2 fellow hoppers. Excellent day out.

Westberkspalace

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Palace/Didcot T/Epsom and Ewell.
Saturday May 8th 2021 KO 14:30.
Oxfordshire Senior League Premier Division Cup.
Garsington (Green/Black Shirts) 0-2 Bure Park (Light Blue/White Shirts).
About 35 watching.
Alcoholic Drinks seemed to be available from the shared cricket/football pavilion bar. I didn't venture inside but I saw some supping pints of lager.

On a very windy and at times drizzly day I took my first ever step into the local Oxfordshire Senior League. And 90 minutes I was glad I had. A very acceptable standard of football in a lovely scenic setting that I'm sure on a sunny warm day would be a delight to watch at.

Playing with the downwind the visitors from Bicester had the better of the first half and deservedly took the lead through Rowen Chappell on 39 minutes.
At the change of ends I fully expected a comeback from Garsington, but they conceded again within 60 seconds of the restart, a close in strike from that man Chappell again, and a well organized away defence held out fairly easily. There was a mass melee on 90 minutes by the corner flag that flared up from nowhere, as the game had been played in good spirit. This involved about 18 players and 1 or 2 from the benches, but as quickly as it flared up and looked like it would get out of control, it calmed down, and at games end a minute later, they all seemed fairly happy to shake hands. As a I say a lovely scenic venue with country views in every direction, if Step 7 and below is your bag, add this one to your list.

Amazingly cricket was being played on the lower field, this was NOT a cricket weather day!
I shall revisit the Oxfordshire Senior League soon

Jaundiced Hack

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Watford FC, Bridgwater United FC Club Secretary
Imperial 2 AFC Brislington 2
08/05/2021
Somerset County League Junior Cup Group C
Admission - none
Attendance 16 h/c

Imperial play at The Imperial Sports Ground in south Bristol. The ground is roped off on all four sides, has dugouts but no cover, there is a large pub style clubhouse that caters for all the sports played under the Imperial banner. These two clubs are both in Somerset County League division two with Imperial struggling towards the foot of the table as opposed to AFC Brislington who are flying high, it took a late goal for the impressive visitors to grab a point today however.

The current club were formed in 1995 after a merger between Imperial Bristol and Imperial United. As Imperial Bristol the club appeared in The FA Vase between 1980/81 and 1982/83. The ground used to have an old pavilion that burnt down and stood where the flats were built. A fairly easy trip up the A37 that took around an hour.

Just a heads up on the Imperial situation, the wonderful old two storey Victorian cricket pavilion was home to Imperial CC who were a top club until around 25 years ago and at the time it was not used for football. The two Imperial clubs, both in what was the Somerset Senior League, played on the other Imperial ground across the mini roundabout and once divided from each other by the Bristol to Frome railway. Imperial played nearest the Sturminster Road while United played on the next level up with the changing rooms for both clubs. There was a third pitch at the time on the far side abutted against part of Knowle Golf Course and my little one bedroom flat at the time overlooked it so, should have been inclined, I could have watched senior football from my bed!

mids

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Arsenal, Newport IOW, Weymouth
Tisbury United 4-2 Chickerell United
Dorset Senior League Cup - at Tisbury Lower Recreation Ground (att. c75)

A popular little ground. It was completely roped off along one side, preventing you from walking around, but providing a captive audience for the burger van and clubhouse (table service under the marquee cover), which was doing a good trade.

This competition is reaching an interesting stage, with three teams in each group fighting for the semi-final places. Saturday's victory now puts Tisbury in a great position, needing just 2 points from their remaining 2 games to ensure progress - as rivals Chickerell and Merley play each other in their final match:
Merley Cobham 'Res': P9 - 19pts
Chickerell Utd: P9 - 18pts
Tisbury Utd: P8 - 18pts

Confusion reigned before the game as both teams warmed up in their red kits - Chickerell ultimately being forced to wear Tisbury's away shirts, since they hadn't brought their own. Chickerell looked the stronger side for much of the game, but didn't have much luck. They found themselves 2-0 down at the break, and when Tisbury extended their lead shortly afterwards, it was always going to be an uphill battle. It was a quite a niggly/physical game, that the referee struggled to keep under control. In the end, the big difference between the sides was the clinical finishing of Tisbury's Lee Gale - a hat-trick on the day taking his season's tally to 15.

Match photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ianmiddlebrook/albums/72157719140541547

DSC_3917_001_thum.jpg

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock