Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Colchester United
Stocksbridge Park Steels
Borussia Dortmund
Western League Division 1

Weymouth Street, Warminster

Warminster Town 1(0) Almondsbury 0(0)

Red & Black Striped Shirts / Black Shorts Green & White Striped Shirts / Green Shorts

Attendance 128

Admission £5 Programm £1 Pint of Wessex Maltman’s Gold £3.20

A fifteen minute walk via Reeve the Bakers, where I purchased my large half time sausage roll, got me to Weymouth Street just after two. Time for a socially distanced pint in the clubhouse, a quick read of the programme and a pic of the team sheet. The Red & Blacks were missing three probable starters who were attending weddings (obviously everyone is getting wed before any more lockdowns can be imposed) which left them decidedly lightweight up front. The game proved to be a close encounter which Town just shaded. The visitors edged the first half although Town did strike an upright. The only goal of the game was scored in the 79th minute with Corey Gardner arriving at the front post to turn in Jack Miluk’s pullback from the right of the box. Town finished the stronger of the two teams and again hit the woodwork. A game that will not live long in the memory.

barcud-coch

Youth Team Hopeful
Rhayader Town 1 Croesyceiliog 3

Y Weirglodd: Floodlighting and Electrical Serrvices Ardal South East

This was my first visit to Y Weirglodd for just over two over years when Llanidloes Town defeated holders Radnor Valley in the Radnorshire Cup final. The last time that I saw the home team playing on this ground was during the previous year when they defeated local rivals Newbridge 5-1 in the MMP with Norman Lloyd Mid Wales League Second Division. Rhayader Town had competed in the Mid Wales League Second Division during the truncated 2019/20 campaign and Croesyceiliog found themselves in the Welsh League First Division. The Thin Red Line had suffered a 2-1 home defeat at the hands of local rivals Builth Wells in the opening round of the JD Welsh Cup before enjoying a 4-1 victory over Lock Stock North East outfit Carno in the FAW Trophy. Croesyceiliog, meanwhile, were beaten 3-0 by league rivals Abertillery Bluebirds before enjoying a narrow 1-0 win over local rivals Llanyrafon in the FAW Trophy. The ground had not really changed significantly since my last visit but many readers will be pleased to know Rhayader Town issued a free programme with the £4 admission charge.

Josh Price had the best of the first-half opportunities for Rhayader Town, whilst Jack Sinderby and Connor Miles tested new signing James Barker in the home goal, with Nicholas McGrath unable to keep his 20th minute volley on target when he found himself in space in the penalty area. Following a goalless first-half, it was Croesyceiliog that opened the scoring four minutes after the interval, when Lewis Clare latched on to a well-timed through ball before finishing neatly past Barker from a tight angle. Miles doubled the lead four minutes later after taking advantage of some confusion in the Rhayader Town defence to tap the ball into an unguarded net after Barker rushed out of his penalty area. The Radnorshire men halved the deficit when Jordan McFadden's 20 yard effort found the far corner of the Croesy goal in the 77th minute and gave his team some hope that they could claim a point from their opening league encounter. However, Elliot Jones' neat finish from an 89th minute corner saw the points head back south on Aled Jones' whistle.

2021/22 Statistics
Goals: 91
Matches: 20
New Grounds: 0

Dr Love

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Halifax Town
Rhayader Town 1-3 Croesyceiliog
Ardal South East

Heavy traffic had meant I'd given thought of heading to the closer game at Carno, but thankfully after Welshpool the worst of the traffic disappeared (including one person who drove 35mph on a decent bit of road with a queue which extended far past his range of vision for some distance). Fortunagtely I'd picked up on the M4 being closed too, so a diversion via Shrivenham and Wantage was possible as no signs were present to indicate this.

Like many in this part of the world, a decent ground in a scenic location. Three sides surrounded by tall trees, which did somewhat get in the way of the hard standing on two of those sides. The TV gantry is now also not usuable now. This does offer a ting bit of cover opposite the main stand, with a further bit behind one goal (this was used as a changing room by the hosts, with the visitors using the actual changing rooms). Unusually this stnad is noticeably curved. They've got the usual tea bar/bar and also plenty of parking by the ground (more space on the way in too).

A fairly quiet first half, possibly just shaded by Croesy. No goals however. The vistiors struck two goals soon after the break and for a while it looked more likely they'd get a third than Rhayader were to get back into it. They had another effort disallowed after the referee had originally awqrded it, and struck the bar. A substitute for the hosts made a difference, offering a bit more variety and strength up front, and it was he who brought the hosts back into it with about 15 minutes to play. They did have other chances, but a deserved win in the end for the visitors who made sure in the 89th minute.

Mark

Youth Team Hopeful
Saltney Town 0-4 Porthmadog
Ardal League North-West
Attendance: 86
Admission: £3
Prog: online, free

One-sided game with the home team wasting their best chance in the opening minute - they hit the post then missed a sitter in the follow-up. I believe Porthmadog, who brought a few dozen fans with them, are favourites for the title which is probably not surprising given that they were unlucky to be relegated from the Welsh Premier due to restructuring and then again from the Cymru North a few years later when Covid brought the season to an early close.

Despite playing in the North-West division, Saltney is just a few minutes walk from the English border that runs through the outlying reaches of Chester. The ground has a good playing surface, a couple of seated kit stands on one side, dugouts opposite with a partially-built covered enclosure in between, hard-standing on both the stand side and near end, and all the railings are in-filled, something which always seems to give a more professional appearance.

The ground is behind a community centre which has only a small car park at the front and with cars already parking across a bike lane on the main road when I arrived I went in search of nearby street parking - I later realised there was more parking available on grass behind the community centre, but unfortunately this wasn’t visible from the main road. Admission was taken at a table which also acted as a snack bar, and from here you could obtain a QR code (later made available on the club’s Twitter account) to download the well-presented 14 page programme as a pdf.

pokal02

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Barnet, Cockfosters
Holker OB 1-1 Golcar U
NWCFL 1N
Adm £3 conc Att 91 Coffee £1 Prog - didn't see any.

Surprisingly easy drive up the M6 for a summer Saturday - just a bit stodgy between j29 & 31. So arrived well before 14:00 - ground is down a lane before one reaches Barrow. Car park fine for these sort of crowds.

Covered seated stand behind the near goal in the corner, bar/clubhouse down one side with a small area of cover containing some wooden tables with benches next to it. Hardstanding elsewhere. A slight slope which Holker kicked down in the first half, also with the wind at their backs.

A game of few chances with Holker having more possession but Golcar generally firm at the back. 1-0 to Holker on 33min when some nice passing set up a forward for a tap in which he unselfishly squared to a colleague who had an even easier tap in. Golcar reduced to 10 on 38 for a late challenge by No6 on the half way line - a borderline red/yellow for me. The 10 men equalised after just 18 seconds of the 2nd half when the No10 drilled in a low cross from the right. Holker couldn't force another opening despite some late pressure.

Usual trouble-free Sat evening drive home & indoors at 21:50 (just a 15 min stop).

chesterbird

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Chester City, Liverpool
EBAC NORTHERN LEAGUE
WEST AUCKLAND TOWN 3 NEWCASTLE BENFIELD 4
KO 1500 ADMISSION £6 PROG £1 GATE 150

HERE WITH NIGEL. WE WERE ORIGINALLY GOING TO TOW LAW BUT WHEN WE GOT TO DARLINGTON ARRIVA BUSES SAID THEY COULDN'T GUARANTEE THE BUSES WOULD RUN BACK AT NIGHT DUE TO STAFF & BUS SHORTAGES SO WE GOT THE TRAIN TO DURHAM INSTEAD. (WE WERE IN NEWCASTLE FOR A FEW NIGHTS AND STILL HAD OUR 4 IN 8 NORTH EAST PASSES SO WE USED IT FOR GETTING TO DARLINGTON.) WHEN WE ARRIVED IN DURHAM WE GOT THE NUMBER 6 BUS TO WEST AUCKLAND.

THE INCESSANT RAIN DID MAKE US WONDER WHETHER THE GAME WOULD BE ON OR NOT BUT NO SUCH WORRIES WHEN WE ARRIVED JUST BEFORE KICK OFF. NEWCASTLE SCORED AFTER 4 MINUTES FOLLOWED BY ANOTHER 2 MINUTES LATER. THE HOME SIDE SCORED ON 12 MINUTES TO MAKE THINGS INTERESTING BUT BY HALF TIME BENFIELD PUT ANOTHER 2 GOALS AWAY ON 18 & 35 TO SEEMINGLY PUT THE GAME TO BED.

BENFIELD SHOULD HAVE ADDED MORE IN THE SECOND HALF BUT INSTEAD WEST MADE FOR AN EXCITING FINISH WITH GOALS ON 55 & 86 AND ALMOST LEVELLED RIGHT AT THE DEATH. A GOOD GAME AS EVER IN THE NORTHERN LEAGUE.

THE STEAK BURGERS AND CHIPS WENT DOWN A TREAT!!!

A THOROUGHLY ENJOYABLE DAY AND A NEW GROUND FOR THE BOTH OF US.

Nervous Rec

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Aldershot Town
Squires Gate 0 Lower Breck 1
North West Counties League Premier Division
Admission £6 Programme £2 (see below)

In October 1994 I attended a Blackpool Wren Rovers game, and was amazed how close their ground was to Squires Gate and AFC Blackpool, and vowed to come back and do the other two. 27 years later I arrived at the second of the three. Wren and Squires ground are literally next door to each other, only seperated by the shared perimeter wall, while AFC Blackpool is a 5 minute walk away. The entrance to the ground is brings you into the ground behind one of the goals, where there is a small covered seated stand, which resembles a dug out. The building housing the club house is down one side, along with a covered area which has two seating sections, and a standing section. A covered standing area is also positioned on the far side, while behind the far goal is flat uncovered standing. The game itself was awful, neither side really had a shot on target likely to beat a goalkeeper. The game was settled 15 minutes into the second half, by a penalty to Breck after a foul in the area. The best thing to come out of the game was the programme. It has been mentioned on social media, and it really is a labour of love for one hard working volunteer. 48 pages, all in colour on glossy paper for £2 gives you the essentials such as line ups, fixtures, match reports etc, but also has a magazine feel about it, as it had an article on the stadium of Spanish side Barakakakaldo, features on Japanese footballer Kazuyoshi Muira and Antonio Cassano, football in Luxembourg, a book review, this week it was Peter Miles’ Blinding Floodlights, and loads of other snippets, including women’s football. A weeks worth of reading, or something to do instead of watching what was served up on the pitch!

buncranaboy

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Bostock Stanley, Barnstoneworth United
Ardal South East : Abertillery Excelsiors 3 Tredegar Town 3. Admission £4, Prog on-line apparently. Attendance : 89 (hc)

KYM as pilot for this one for my fourth visit to Abertillery which is about three visits too many. Last time I saw this lot at home was at nearby Woodland Field back in 2001 when they played under the name Cwmtillery. I hadn't even realised they'd moved till I spoke to some who attended a hop game here a couple of years ago.
Owen Field used to be a rugby ground and has lights which I assume was the reason for the move a couple of hundred yards further up the road. Two fifty seater stands have been erected on the half way line and there's hard standing on two sides. The far side is out of bounds and overgrown and quite probably the end furthest from the entrance as well. A small tea bar sold hot and cold drinks with chocs or crisps while programmes were on-line only which to me doesn't count as a programme issue at all. Woodland Field is still intact; in fact the reserves were on there this afternoon and, bar the lights, there's not much to choose between the venues. Beautiful scenery all around but...it's in Abertillery which has to be the deadest of all dead-end South Walian towns.
Great game with the first half dominated by the visitors who should have been out of sight but turned round just 2-1 ahead. Total transformation in the second half as Aber dominated and led until the dying embers when Tredegar scored a worldie to tie the game. All enjoyed in the company of Tim of this parish and Stan Armitt, not seen too often recently.
Pre-match pitstop was at the Lion Hotel, Blaenavon, outside which is a memorial to events following the 1868 General Election; it was a tad more peaceful today.
The two Tory candidates were declared elected to the old county of Monmouthshire. This did not represent the feelings of the valley towns who had overwhelmingly voted for the Liberal Candidate. There were severe riots in Blaenavon and it was claimed that only the arrival the Royal Welsh Fusiliers stopped the violence turning into murder. The mob turned on the Lion Hotel, smashing its windows and forcing their way in. The pub's alcohol was taken out into the street and casks were breached. The 'Free Press' reported that rioters 'went down on their hands and knees to drink like beasts until they reeled and fell senseless'. Furniture and possessions were taken out of the hotel and used to make a huge bonfire and there was even an attempt to torch the hotel itself.

Post-match visits were paid to the Cantreff Inn at Abergavenny and the old favourite in these parts, the Tap House in Ross on Wye along with the Seven Seas chippy in Ross for KYM to satisfy his cod roe cravings. Key in door for 9.

Cherryhopper

First Team Regular
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
Caribou Cup 1st Round
AFC Bournemouth 5-0 MK Dons
Attendance 6,000 est
Ticket £15 - Programme £3

Comfortable win for the Cherries in Scott Parker's first competitive game in charge. David Brooks should have completed a hat trick when he opened the scoring after 35 minutes having missed two sitters, blasting over with the goal gaping and a virtual back pass when one on one with the keeper before being set up by Gavin Kilkenny. Dominic Solanke dissipated home to double the lead early in the second half and the floodgates opened opened with three more goals late on from Philip Billing, Christian Saydee's first senior goal for the club and Brooks' second in injury time.

El Loco

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Anywhere there's a warm welcome
TOOLSTATION NORTHERN COUNTIES EAST FOOTBALL LEAGUE Division 1

ROSSINGTON MAIN 4-2 OLLERTON TOWN
Doran 14, Watson 47, Sherburn 66 79 – Slack 22, Stretton 43
@ Oxford Street, Rossington Att 170

A bright game to get the season underway with a great passing performance by the home team leaving an outclassed but resilient Ollerton chasing shadows at times. Both sides played hard but fair which allowed the referee to let the game flow.

Somehow the visitors had gone into half time leading, after Niall Doran had stepped inside and shot in low from the edge of the area to give Main the lead. Ollerton made the best of the few chances that came their way – first defender George Slack coming in unopposed on a far post cornerto head home from point blank range, then just before the interval a break down the right, a dangerous cross, a miscued shot glanced across the area where Town captain Sam Stretton following in made no mistake making it 1-2 at the interval.

The second half saw Rossington once again playing in neat triangles and they were quickly level. The defence backed off Watson who struck it low into the corner from outside the area. Sub Max Dungworth could have restored Ollerton's lead in the game's decisive moment shortly after, as he outpaced the Main defence, only for keeper Johnson to deny him with a fine save. After that Rossington dominated. An awkward shot only parried by the Ollerton keeper fell to Paul Sherburn who put the ball into the net via a deflection. Sherburn’s marauding performance on the right was further rewarded when from an exchange of passes with Watson he was in again sliding the ball past the advancing keeper. Then it was just a question of whether Main could add to the tally, the closest being defender Connor Williamson who left the post shuddering with his long range effort. Holding midfielder Sam Kitchen was MotM for a solid disciplined performance tidying up in front of his defence.

Oxford Street is tucked tightly in on the North edge of Rossington and partly sheltered by woodland, with rusting floodlights and a couple of weatherbeaten flags (proudly letting you know that you're in Yorkshire) giving the ground a bit of character. Parking is tight at the ground, though plenty of space for street parking nearby. A covered terrace on halfway looks across at a two deep seated stand opposite, with the main stand/changing to its right (east) and a portakabin bar with TV to the left with the raised walkway outside proving a popular viewing point.

Wiretown.Editor

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
Ebac Northern League Division Two Jarrow 0 Easington Colliery 1
Admission £5, prog £1 Hot drinks £1
Att. 167.

Two stands, one seated, the other terraced. Perspex sides were fine when it stayed dry but probably less so covered in raindrops. Suspect it would restrict a clear view. Fortunately it stayed dry but cool. There was a covered walkway up to the bar and cafe. Enclosed and railed pitch. The pitch surface was in excellent condition. It had a slight cross slope.

A decent game with plenty of good football on show especially in the first half. Both sides had early chances but the visitors then started to dominate. That was realised when they led after the keeper could only stop an initial shot but the rebound fell kindly. The lead was almost doubled within a minute but the shot was blocked. Both sides had chances and possesion dominance switched in short spells. HT 0-1

Even after the break for a quarter hour when the visitors should have doubled their lead but the shot was saved. On twenty five they had one cleared off the line. Jarrow's best chance was a free kick from about twenty five yards deep in stoppage time but went wide. A fair result in the end.

mxhornet

Reserve Team Star
I decided to go to Mulbarton today. My 1st visit was in August 1996 when they were Mulbarton Utd & I visited again in May 1998 for a cup final.
Mulbarton United were a different club.

willesden

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Scarborough Athletic, Hull City & Hendon
Brentford 0 West Ham United 1 – PSF – Ticket: £25 – Att: c7,000 (hard to judge)

A chance to tick off the new stadium after I got in touch with a touring cricketing friend who sorted me a spare season ticket when Brentford were not initially doing general sales. Better to be safe than sorry.

It’s certainly different to Griffin Park, especially on the back row of the premium seats in the main South Stand. Greeted like a VIP, lanyard, and a lift to Legends Bar where a complimentary programme was given. I met one of the Chiang Mai regulars and had a good chinwag.

Out of the pitch it wasn’t the worst game I’ve ever been to. The Bees, not at full strength, with lots of passing, while West Ham a little more direct with Michail Antonio leading the line well, and having a goal chalked off.

b.jpg

Blank at the interval we returned to the bar where a free bottle of Peroni was handed out, though the confusion and lack of communication led to a bit of disgruntlement among the locals who seemed to think it was a free pint of anything they’d receive.

Brentford better after the break with manager Thomas Frank making changes to strengthen, but it would be Bees old boy Saïd Benrahma who settled things with a superb bending shot from the edge of the box.

Nice to be sat with a couple of Dagenham fans who had also been sorted by my contact. A very interesting chat on shady owners and managers!

Post match my pal took me to The Globe, an excellent Fuller’s house showing the egg chasing while we enjoyed fine Oliver’s Island ale and chatted lots more. A top few hours out after early shift. Certainly more sociable than serious football, but I can handle most occasions.

Wiretown.Editor

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
Ebac Northern League Division Two Jarrow 0 Easington Colliery 1
Admission £5, prog £1 Hot drinks £1
Att. 167.

Two stands, one seated, the other terraced. Perspex sides were fine when it stayed dry but probably less so covered in raindrops. Suspect it would restrict a clear view. Fortunately it stayed dry but cool. There was a covered walkway up to the bar and cafe. Enclosed and railed pitch. The pitch surface was in excellent condition. It had a slight cross slope.

A decent game with plenty of good football on show especially in the first half. Both sides had early chances but the visitors then started to dominate. That was realised when they led after the keeper could only stop an initial shot but the rebound fell kindly. The lead was almost doubled within a minute but the shot was blocked. Both sides had chances and possesion dominance switched in short spells. HT 0-1

Even after the break for a quarter hour when the visitors should have doubled their lead but the shot was saved. On twenty five they had one cleared off the line. Jarrow's best chance was a free kick from about twenty five yards deep in stoppage time but went wide. A fair result in the end.
1627806498868.png
1627806544331.png
1627806631628.png

Tales From The Riverbank3

Junior Team Star
....At the start of each season whilst working possible season options, the nagging thought gnaws away that nearly forty years after attending my first Eastern Counties League match, I have never got around at any point to visit all of the ECL Premier Division venues. Therefore, time to attempt probably the most difficult to reach unless you are in possession of four wheels...

Walsham Le Willows 1 v 2 Wroxham - Eastern Counties League Premier Division
Barnes Print Prog 28 pages £1.00* - Admission £7.00 - Att. Approx. 170

* I am sure that they wished they had ordered more. Arrived at 13.30 and as the gate was manned at the time brought the obligatory tome. After decamping to the Blue Boar, arrived back an hour later, with a queue in front and the only words I could hear was 'Sorry mate, they have sold out'.

....Long long but largely enjoyable day out. Wroxham were thoroughly professional in their approach, patiently waiting for the opportunities to arise which they ultimately did as the home defence tired and the incessant running of the Taylor's (Joe & Shaun) and the impressive Brad Spooner took their toll. Also important was the solid nature of their defence early on when W Le W frequently attacked and had their best period. The hosts pushed forward purposefully from the start and took an early lead when Charles Norman's low cross from the right was met by an excellent half volley struck with the outside of his boot by Matt Collins which sped past Ollie Sutton en route to the net.

The hosts continued to press forward however with some strong defending Wroxham were able to prevent going two behind. On the rare occasions that the defensive formation was breached, all W Le W could create was the occasional half chance which led to straight forward saves for Sutton from straight at the keeper shots from Jamie Smith and Norman.

As the first half progressed, Wroxham started to attack with greater regularity. They perhaps should have levelled when J Taylor's cross from the right found S Taylor on the back post but her could not direct goalwards shooting straight when an angle was required. At half time with the flow of the contest subtly changing into Wroxham's direction, the thought was that if the visitors levelled then it would be difficult to see them progressing to win the contest.

There was still the issue of missed opportunities for the visitors as J Taylor's outstretched leg missed by inches Spooner tantalising cross from the right. However, there was a degree of inevitability about Wroxham's leveller with S Taylor's subtle lay off finding Joe Keeley overlapping to his left and from the moment he struck his shot you knew that it was goalbound beating Steve Fenner and nestling just inside the far post.

With the W Le W attack by now making little impression, it was a surprise to see them nearly retaking the lead but Smith could not direct Ed Spampanato's cross straight. Wroxham then took the lead again with good overlapping on the left with Spooner's deft pass reaching the sprinting Ryan Curtis and although the position he struck his shot was almost identical to Keeley's earlier effort, Curtis aimed to the near post and his shot had far too much power and accuracy for Fenner.

Ultimately, the margin of victory should have been more but firstly S Taylor attempted unsuccessfully to chip over Fenner and then went for net buster which cleared the bar when clear when a more subtle shot was needed. Overall Wroxham gave the impression even at this incredibly early stage that they will be a very difficult team to beat in the division. Nothing particularly to concern the hosts about who gave the impression that upper mid table is their divisional limit.

I am sure that most have travelled by some way or another to one of the smallest places to host Level 5 football. Completely unaware that the ground was shared with cricket, however this enhanced the villagey feel to the venue. Sizeable stand and a small amount of cover behind one goal and all very organised with a number of helpers. Sat behind was a grouping of locals whose knowledge of the local non league scene was extensive and whose very strong Suffolk burr set to mind that of the departed and missed Spanner.

I did like the village bathed in summer sunshine, though it must be an isolated place in the depths of winter. No shops that I noticed but two pubs and went to the Blue Boar which is a free house. They have their own ale, not surprisingly called Blue Boar bitter, when I asked who brewed it, I was informed that it was a trade secret as he had negotiated a special price with the brewer. At £3.00 a pint, it came across as a more than drinkable session ale and sitting in the garden area listening to the bells of the neighbouring church and the thought was that it does not get better than this.

Long journeys in each direction involving multiple changes of train. There are buses to the village, problem is that there are not many of them and only the return service back to Diss is in any way suitable. Therefore, decided to walk each way from Elmswell Station. The outward journey was relatively easy, but the limbs tired on the return schlep probably due to a further pub stop at the White Horse at Badwell Ash where the Woodforde's Norada was so much more palatable than that brewery's ubiquitous Wherry. Close to departing, had a conversation with a local who returned to check that his unlocked bike was still in situ. If the evil gene had prevailed I said that I would have left a note stating that you would find your bike intact at Elmswell Station at 19.45.

Made the error of breaking the journey at Stowmarket on the way back and finding that the Kings Arms in the station forecourt has become a further pub covid casualty. Rest of journey went to plan but failed to hear the R4 23.00 pips on returning by a minute....

Hamdon Mart

Junior Team Hopeful
31/07/21 – Western League Division 1
Sherborne Town 6 Hengrove Athletic 1
Admission: £4 concession (£6 otherwise)
Programme: On-line only, access it via a QR code set up by the turnstile if that’s what toots your flute. I don’t have the technology, so that’s that. It may be made available on the club’s website – other editions from last year are available there - but it isn’t on it at present.
Teams: No announcements made, but on a positive note, they do provide a whiteboard, which is pitchside by the entrance.
Refreshments: food hatch was open, but I didn’t bother at halftime, queue too long.
Attendance: 117 (h/c)

I have yet to see a “Plan A” game this season thanks to Covid, although today’s star fixture, Westbury United v Dobwalls in a friendly, was called off because the home players were off to a wedding. Honestly, warped sense of priorities, some people …. :cautious:
This game was a good substitute, however, as I’ve never managed to catch up with Hengrove in previous seasons, so an ideal opportunity to knock ‘em off the list.

No obvious changes in infrastructure at Raleigh Grove, now renamed the Consol Stadium after some international tanning salon chain. As an aside, before the start, I popped in to Sherborne Rugby Club’s ground opposite for a nosey and was surprised to find a rather lush first team pitch, rather than its usual state of waterlogged. They’ve apparently spent some £15,000 on sorting it out.

A strange sort of game, this afternoon - despite 7 goals, not a lot really happened. I’ve seen more exciting goalless draws ..... :giggle:. That said, the Zebras got off to a cracking start with two in the first 4 minutes; first Mapletoft with a close-range conversion following a defensive error, and then Murphy with an easy unchallenged header from a corner. McCarthy stretched out to meet a cross and pulled one back after 30m, and then Hengrove’s Mancini received what I thought was a harsh yellow card for a tussle right on the edge of the penalty area, but Sherborne couldn’t make anything of the resulting free kick. Apart from that, it was all pretty run-of-the-mill midfield-orientated play with very few goal attempts, certainly nothing to get the adrenalin rushing.

More of the same in the second half – Sherborne restored their two-goal lead on 57m when Burton lofted a long ball over to the far post – an Hengrove defender on the line completely misjudged the flight of it and failed to clear. Arguably the best goal of the game came on 64m when Napier-Lawrence followed up after the away keeper could only block a shot, and wellied it home perfectly between two despairing defenders.

4-1 would have been a fair (if slightly flattering) result, but Sherborne added a further two goals in injury time through substitutes Hebbard and Beeson. Hengrove had more or less given up by that point, but they didn’t really deserve to be on the end of such a heavy defeat. Sherborne were simply clinical in their finishing when the chances arose, and that’s what counts.
Good morning, Hengrove secretary here.

Pretty fair summary of the game there, I've commented on our match report that I thought 4-1 would have probably been about right but there were some tired legs out there come the end. Five aged 16, one aged 17 and one aged 19 played today; oddly enough everyone else bar one was in their thirties. We have a curious blend this season.

Other than that, wish you well for the coming season. Yesterday was our first competitive match since 3rd November (which we lost 5-1 so things aren't getting better, ha ha) but the whole atmosphere, camaraderie, buzz of a non league match was there yesterday and it reminded me of how much I've missed it.

One final thing, we are going back to paper programmes this season and will then upload the online version after the game so if you fancy watching Hengrove again but at home, happy to put a programme back for you.

sunny nunny

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Nuneaton Borough
Rainworth Miners Welfare 1 Selby Town 1
NCEFL1
Att 101 ( inc around 15 away )
Adm £6
Parking free club car park next to ground
f&d £3.20 steak pie , mars & coffee

With boro off on there jollies in Cornwall took the chance for some early competitive action . Not just a new ground but a new league tick .
Rainworths ground is on a main road opposite the Welfare club but lying below the level of the road it's easy to miss , luckily a nice big sign for the car park pointed the way . Ground and set up felt more than step 6 , wouldn't be out of place at step 4 , which of course they were not too many years back . An early contender for the most random accessible seats with a group of 30 open seats , that look like they would have been in a stand at some point , placed on the overgrown grass bank on a corner of the ground .
Welfare were playing the first game back in the ncefl having switched from the now disbanded emcl . Selby ended last season rock bottom of this division but have recruited heavily in an effort to improve this season . First half was a poor affaire played at pre season pace . Selby were particularly poor , the home side a bit better and edged a 1-0 half time lead . The second half continued in the same vain until around 20 mins to go when something seemed to click into place with Selby , from nowhere they started to produce some fast paced attacking football and put Rainworth under heavy pressure . The equalised coming from the impressive Harry Clapham who looked like a player playing below his level and stood out amongst the rest of the mediocrity on display . Allowances have to be made this early in the season but i'll be surprised if either of these are troubling the trophy engravers come May .

Chase Dude

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Hednesford
JD CYMRU NORTH.
LLanrhaeadr YM 1- 3 Llandudno.
Recreation ground. Kick off 2.30. Admission £6. Programme online free.

Having not been to many games for a fair few years. I have eventually reached the milestone of 300 grounds. My old hopping buddy, having a free weekend, came out of hiding and decided for a nice ride out. Having looked at some of the leagues that started today, we then decided on a 60 odd mile trip into Wales to attend this game instead. Nice set up in the centre of the village of Llanrhaeadr-ym mochant in the picturesque Tanat valley. A decent seated stand along the One side with about 150 seats, plus a small 50 seater behind One goal. No floodlights. The side opposite the main stand has no spectator access, only the dug outs. The fencing goes next to the road, and there are 10 trees along it. The chairman's message was welcome to the theatre of trees. Entrance was at the near end, having parked at a near by school. Only hot drinks and sweets available. Programme was online, but code to scan was available at the entrance to enable it on a smart phone.

Llandudno always edged it as the better side, taking the lead after 30 minutes with a penalty from Cavanagh. The home team equalised on 41 minutes with a nicely floated free kick that found the head of Burgess.

Llandudno took back the lead on 47 minutes through another effort from Cavanagh. I missed this goal as I was having a piddle in the toilets. Later there were a couple of bookings for bad mouthing the referee. The home manager was also sent off. A goalkeeping mistake from Andrew allowed Owen to make it 3-1 to Llandudno in injury time.

Tim

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Welton Rovers
Ardal South East : Abertillery Excelsiors 3 Tredegar Town 3. Admission £4, Prog on-line apparently. Attendance : 89 (hc)

KYM as pilot for this one for my fourth visit to Abertillery which is about three visits too many. Last time I saw this lot at home was at nearby Woodland Field back in 2001 when they played under the name Cwmtillery. I hadn't even realised they'd moved till I spoke to some who attended a hop game here a couple of years ago.
Owen Field used to be a rugby ground and has lights which I assume was the reason for the move a couple of hundred yards further up the road. Two fifty seater stands have been erected on the half way line and there's hard standing on two sides. The far side is out of bounds and overgrown and quite probably the end furthest from the entrance as well. A small tea bar sold hot and cold drinks with chocs or crisps while programmes were on-line only which to me doesn't count as a programme issue at all. Woodland Field is still intact; in fact the reserves were on there this afternoon and, bar the lights, there's not much to choose between the venues. Beautiful scenery all around but...it's in Abertillery which has to be the deadest of all dead-end South Walian towns.
Great game with the first half dominated by the visitors who should have been out of sight but turned round just 2-1 ahead. Total transformation in the second half as Aber dominated and led until the dying embers when Tredegar scored a worldie to tie the game. All enjoyed in the company of Tim of this parish and Stan Armitt, not seen too often recently.
Pre-match pitstop was at the Lion Hotel, Blaenavon, outside which is a memorial to events following the 1868 General Election; it was a tad more peaceful today.
The two Tory candidates were declared elected to the old county of Monmouthshire. This did not represent the feelings of the valley towns who had overwhelmingly voted for the Liberal Candidate. There were severe riots in Blaenavon and it was claimed that only the arrival the Royal Welsh Fusiliers stopped the violence turning into murder. The mob turned on the Lion Hotel, smashing its windows and forcing their way in. The pub's alcohol was taken out into the street and casks were breached. The 'Free Press' reported that rioters 'went down on their hands and knees to drink like beasts until they reeled and fell senseless'. Furniture and possessions were taken out of the hotel and used to make a huge bonfire and there was even an attempt to torch the hotel itself.

Post-match visits were paid to the Cantreff Inn at Abergavenny and the old favourite in these parts, the Tap House in Ross on Wye along with the Seven Seas chippy in Ross for KYM to satisfy his cod roe cravings. Key in door for 9.
Nicely put by Buncranaboy. Couldn't resist the opportunity to make a fourth visit to Abertillery as my favourite Welsh team were the opposition. They will have gone home as disappointed as me, having had more than enough good chances to wrap this one up before the break, but the equaliser was worth the price of admission alone. Splendid game and my fourth Saturday trip to Monmouthshire in succession - I may well be back for more next week. My feeling is that the Welsh pyramid makes a lot more sense than its English equivalent, and given the choice of battling the Cookie pop ups on Full Time or using the splendid Cymru Football app, I think I may be down these parts quite a bit, especially in the winter months. Super ground, super game and fine company - other than the early M5 traffic, not a lot wrong with the day. First time up the Heads of the Valleys Road for a couple of years: if one wants to admire the complete waste of a vast sum of money, it's a fine place to look.

[email protected]

Ball Boy / Girl
Northern League Division Two
Gillford Park - Attendance 81
Carlisle City 4 (2) v 2 (0) Billingham Synthonia
Admission £4, Programme £1, F&D £5 Cheeseburger + Coke

A tale of two halves really, Billingham started brightly with two chance in the opening three minutes, then it all went downhill when Carlisle scored in the 4th then add a second on the 7th, from that point it was all Carlisle with Billingham rarely a threat. The game changed just before half time with a red card to Carlisle.

The good thing about the toilets at Gillford Park is that they share a wall with the away dressing and Billingham manager wasn't very happy shouting at the players that they could be 5-0 down (which was true) and with there managers strong words still ringing in there ears they processed to go straight out and let in a third to make it 3-0.

From that point Carlisle sat back content with there lead being a man down which in my opinion let Billingham back into the game having a lot more of the ball before eventually pulling one back. Billingham got a penalty in which they converted to make it 3-2 with 15 minutes left to play and I honestly thought they'd score an equaliser but with 5 minutes to play Carlisle hit them on the counter to make it 4-2 from close range.

Carlisle looked very impressive going forward, as they did last season too but any sorted of pressure they seem to panic but if they can sort that out they'll be up near the top come the end of the season. Gillford Park is far to good of a set up to be hosting Step 6 football and Carlisle should really be playing in a division or two higher.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks