My Front Room k.o. 10:30
Admission £0
Programme: via Local paper TV Guide – ITV4
Refreshments: provided from weekly shop at Tesco

Games: FA Cup 4th Round - Jan 75
West Ham v Swindon
Coventry v Arsenal
Leeds v Wimbledon

After my 60-minute stride around the local park/nature reserve and home the long way to give my car a little run out and then a quick shower, I settled down for the second Saturday running to watch The Big Match Revisited offering in my front room.

For those who will watch on catch-up later, look away now.

The games were from the FA Cup 4th Round in January 1975:
West Ham v Swindon Town
Coventry v Arsenal
Wimbledon v Leeds

There was also a look back (called Playback) to a 1970 game between Chelsea and Watford.

Much was made of the Wimbledon goalkeeper’s penalty save against Leeds but as we shall see later “was it all that?”.

It was great to see these games played on pitches that were heavily sanded and cut up almost from the start which saw players slipping at crucial moments. It is also worth noting that the players played some good football despite the conditions.
Goalkeepers wore green and had gloves because of the damp conditions.
Photographers were crowded to the side of the goal (one was even hit by the ball) and the Police and St John’s volunteers were sat on a box in one of the corners.

Game 1 - West Ham v Swindon Town (1-1)

Some famous names: Trevor Brooking, Frank Lampard snr, Billy Bonds, Clyde Best and for Swindon, long serving John Trollope, Frank Burrows and Peter Eastoe (£80K from Wolves)
Referee: Clive Thomas
End to end in the first half with the referee having words with Frank Burrows at a corner (I doubt whether the player took any notice). There were many great saves by the ‘keepers. (0 – 0) at half time.
Before West Ham scored the first goal through Billy Jennings, Anderson from Swindon robbed Taylor on the edge of the box and was clean through on goal when Taylor pulled him back. Result, just a booking.
Swindon equalised when a cross from the right was missed by a defender and allowed Eastoe to fire passed Mervyn Day in goal.
These were the days when youngsters came on to the pitch to pat their heroes on the back and for the kindly policeman to ask them to go back to the terraces.

Game 2 – Coventry v Arsenal (1 – 1)

No team line-ups
Famous names: Alan Ball, Brian Kidd, Pat Rice, Larry Lloyd, Willie Carr

After Brian Kidd hit a hard shot the commentator Hugh Johns said the he could’nt half “clobber” the ball.
We also saw Pat Rice head the ball against his own post
Coventry took the lead following a corner by Carr which Arsenal failed to clear allowing Brian Alderson to score with a great left-foot shot.
Arsenal equalised after John Radford took the ball off a defender and Alan Ball scored from close in when he chased the rebound.

Before the final game we were treated to a look back at the game Chelsea v Watford, a Cup semi-final in 1970 played on a Tottenham’s pitch that resembled a beach.
Dave Webb score first. Garbett equalised. Then goals from Osgood, Houseman 2, Hutchinson made it 5 – 1.

Final game – Wimbledon v Leeds (0 – 0)
No team line-ups

The Wimbledon ‘keeper, Dickie Guy, who was the guest on the show, received newspaper headlines for his penalty save from Peter Lorimer. The commentator even said that he should receive “the freedom of Wimbledon” for that save. But, with all due respect, the penalty kick was hit almost at him. He made several more important saves during the game.
Leeds had all their stars on parade: Giles, Bremner, Lorimer, Reaney, Gray, Yorath and a guy called Duncan Mackenzie.

Finally, it was good to see Referees with white collars and cuffs on their shirts and white tops to their socks

As for the state of the pitches, it just showed that good players can play on most surfaces.

John Treleven

First Team Hopeful
Switched direction to fool the border police and went East this week

Premiership

St. Paul's (1st) 2, St. Clement (5th) 0

Have now reached the half way point of the league season in terms of matches played 9/18

Does that mean points per game can now operate?

buncranaboy

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Bostock Stanley, Barnstoneworth United
Switched direction to fool the border police and went East this week

Premiership

St. Paul's (1st) 2, St. Clement (5th) 0

Have now reached the half way point of the league season in terms of matches played 9/18

Does that mean points per game can now operate?
What sort of attendance at this and other local league games John ?

prorege

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Fife clubs
My sources tell me that there was a groundhopper from London at Eyemouth United v Muirkirk today.

I wonder who?

Hoddy1.

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
My sources tell me that there was a groundhopper from London at Eyemouth United v Muirkirk today.

I wonder who?
Bloody rich innit, Muirkirk apologizing to fans for no coach because of situation and maybe there was a cross border visitor there.
My sources from Essex and Kent revealed to me just now.
EDIT. Sorry Reg that should be Suffolk and Kent.

Was there a programme done for officials.?

I do hope it's an unfounded rumour.

Last edited:

RussWWFC

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Wycombe Wanderers
Arrogant vermin.

None so deaf as those who won't listen.

Hoddy1.

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Remember this is all unfounded.
Can't imagine anyone coming forward and saying they saw him there even if they were Dutch.

pokal02

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Barnet, Cockfosters
Front room again for Dinamo Batumi v Gori - at least I didn't have to watch another Barnet defeat!

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Connorbelle, who said two weeks ago that he did not need to be banned, because his post was a one off and he was not posting again, has had his post deleted. Too overtly political for this moderator.
He has not been banned. The post would be permitted under politics in other matters

I have allowed posts to this point about an alleged (and unnamed) hopper travelling to Scotland, but I think that is enough unless it can be confirmed

hantslondoner

Reserve Team Hopeful
Not as good as live football, but good entertainment all the same:
Wealdstone were on BT Sport this evening, and looked to have a hangover from midweek as they went two down to Sutton United in 11 minutes, both goals from terrible defending, and they could (should) have been four or five down at the break.
They then turned up, Sutton tried to sit on their lead, and Stones led 3-2 well into injury time, the third goal a remarkable 35-yarder from full-back Mendy as the opposing keeper seemed to be out of position, but Sutton equalised with the last kick of the game.

Lord Lucan

Reserve Team Sub
At least a dozen people pictured watching the Eyemouth game from outside the ground. No one I recognise.

Hoddy1.

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.

LeedsPhil

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Leeds + groundhopping
Haven 3-6 Banff Rovers
N.E. Scotland FA, Gordon Leask Memorial Cup, Group 3, last match

1pm at 'St Fergus Park' - properly 'St Fergus Community Pitch, Kinloch Park'. AB42 3QB. Haven FC's first competitive match at their long-awaited ground.
Att: "0" - BCD. But 15 blatantly stood out atop the bank + me viewing from the car.

For the fourth weekend in a row, very thankful for the normally-summer NESFA playing competitive winter football in my 'shire of residence. So another short drive from home, without exiting my Scottish Tier 2 zone, and watched from the public highway without stepping out of the car ...which is more than can be said for 15 others.

In normal times, I would probably have given this one up. Because on Friday Thurso decided to move their Saturday game from a wet Dammies to the Naver 3G, which I've yet to see them using, so I would have gone for a picnic inside the car, parked outside that cage; at the same time hoping that Haven would qualify from their cup group and hopefully get a home draw in the knockout phase, to leave doing them at St Fergus until then.
But these are not normal times.
a) I'm not sure whether we're even not supposed to go down a tier from a Scottish Tier 2 zone into a Scottish Tier 1 zone (I've got sick of trying to keep up with what the ever-changing exact rules are...), although my hill-walking retired pals seem to think that one can do that;
b) Orkney's Saturday trip to the mainland was PPd on Friday in anticipation of high winds affecting the ferries, so maybe that would disrupt a match on a carpet on the north coast too?... And checking afterwards, I see that Thurso's was indeed also PPd, but not until late morning - which would have been after I would have already set off.
So I'm glad I stuck to my Plan A :

Haven FC formed a few seasons back, and were nomadic on the standard Peterhead NESFA venues, but always with a plan to have their 'own' ground in nearby St Fergus (also for Community use - juvenile football). It has been nearly there, only to drag on for over a year - there was a delay getting electricity to the portakabin-style changing rooms, the only football furniture. But finally they've got a functioning home.
In this only (?) competition NESFA are having a go at this winter, Haven are in a four-team group, so have three opponents. And they got the short straw of 2 Aways and only one Home. So if they didn't progress from the group, they would have just one home game for the season! All the more reason to target this fixture. It was supposed to be on matchday 1 on 31st October, but was PPd wet that day. No surprise - the open grass pitch is outside the village, in farming country, and being set down below the road it will always be vulnerable to sogginess. No such worry today - whilst other parts of Scotland have had wild weather of late, this corner of the country has been quite mild and dry, and today was a gorgeous blue sky day - perfect for watching football out in the countryside.

Haven had won their two aways 0-7 and 4-6, so only needed a draw today to progress, Banff Rovers having won 1 and lost 1.
So when opening the scoring on 17 - a penalty which was parried but the taker tucked away the rebound, Haven could have been confident of making the knockout phase. But Banff Rovers have got goals in them - they scored 9 last week. In an eight-minute spell from 35 to 43 they scored four! The last another parried pen but the taker's mate being first to the rebound. That turnaround of the game wasn't received well by Haven - a crunching tackle went in just before HT, leading to a stramash, but no red cards.
And Banff carried on straightaway in the second half - only 2 minutes gone and it was 1-5.
2-5 not long after, but quickly matched - the 2-6 goal being a free kick that the wall cowered out of the way of and it went straight through them and in.
Another pen, this time scored directly, was last-minute consolation - 3-6 the final score and it's Banff Rovers who progress.
We'll see whether NESFA add another competition this winter, or leave it at that and resume in April as usual, as to how soon Haven will have their second fixture at their new home.

I took a minor detour into Peterhead on the way home, to check where Station Bar were playing (theirs kicked off half an hour later than Haven's), after last Saturday's disaster of missing their first ever, played on a pitch upon which I've never seen any NESFA fixture. And indeed they were using the same pitch today - the furthest-from-the-sea of the two pitches at West Links. I didn't stop of course, but I see afterwards that that ended in a draw, so there's still a chance of Station Bar qualifying for the knockout stage after their final game next weekend - Away at whipping-boys newcomers Boddam United. So I'll have fingers crossed that they do progress, plus get a Home draw and also play that one on the same pitch - it's another that's easily viewed from the car so without breaking the No Spectators rule.

Home by half past 3, my son having spotted me parking outside and already having the kettle on. Good lad!

gcnc

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Newport County
... and another watching exclusively from the public highway, though those who have already visited Woodfield Road will know that the best viewing point is probably the pavement atop the bank behind the one goal. To further comply with Welsh Assembly / FAW rules I made sure my front Door was Closed Behind me before making the five minute walk from home to the ground.

PSF
New Inn 3 Pontnewydd 1*
No admission or programme

This match, kicking off at 12.30, was the first of a double header, the second due to kick off straight afterwards at Pontnewydd's ground a mile and a half away, thus avoiding breaking the 'rule of 30' regulation governing the maximum number of people taking part at one venue. Nothing great about the match, but it was live football, and I was home in time to watch the Barry - Newtown Welsh Premier match on S4C straight afterwards, about which there was even less great!

* With the game kicking off a few minutes earlier than advertised, I may have missed a goal, so this scoreline is subject to later editorial clarification!

ARL

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Leverstock Green
A morning walk around Wakering, passing by a deserted Burroughs Park on the way.

A visit to 70s heaven with The Big Match Revisited.

Watching the free stream of Hemel v Dulwich, and dreaming of being able to visit the ground about a mile away over the far touchline some time soon.

A visit to Waitrose at about the same time I would normally be dropping in on the way back from a Levy game.

Kingsmere

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Rampant Rangers
After a morning working from home, then.

Brackley Town 1
Chester 1

Att quite a few in view outside ground, 1300 using stream.

Cost Nil free stream

Game OK, quite a bit of development to the ground since my last visit last season.

Post match 3.7 mile walk via M&S to do some shopping.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks