Saturday 1st May 2021

petermiller36

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Ware, AFC Wimbledon.
Trent Vineyard 3 FC Mansfield 2 Nottinghamshire Senior League Division 2 North cup group stage
Beeston Weir field ground ( far pitch.)
Admission -none
Tea -none
Attendance 3

The original plan was to watch PMG academy but a phone call from the cml fixtures secretary, just as I was leaving, informed me the game was off. With a limited amount of time I struggled to find a new ground I could get to in time. I discovered this match was on, so it was off to Beeston. The last time I'd visited this area was back in the early 2000's when we had the terrible floods. I remember watching the River Trent sweeping a caravan over the weir fields in an awesome display of power. - No such worries today as the ground was in perfect condition.
Wollaton Reserves played on the nearest pitch. As you reach Canalside in Beeston Rylands, cross the bridge and follow the access road to the end where there is a large car park.
The game started off in a fantastic manner, with the home side scoring three cracking goals and the visitors pulling back an equally good goal on 21 minutes. The rest of the half became a stale mete and half time was still 3-1. The second half was end to end, but great saves by the keepers prevented further goals. On 89 minutes FC Mansfield scored a second, but it was too late to prevent them losing. My first game since Boxing Day and great to see football again. The other spectator at the game was sad.hopper so I had good company through out the game.
Aha! I wondered if the two chaps on the halfway line were of this parish! We've never started a game as well as we've started that one! Glad you enjoyed your afternoon.

Onion Bag

Junior Team Hopeful
FA Vase QF
US Portsmouth 2 v Flackwell Heath 0

For those who don't know the ground is situated in the grounds of HMS Temeraire. Decent main stand with a running track around the pitch. Very pleasant views of the Spinnaker Tower and the Gunwharf Tower commonly known as the Lipstick building.

Enjoyable game which was very even until USP no11 lobbed the goalie to score the opening goal. Flackwell had a great chance to equalise minutes later but the no9 missed from ten yards as the ball went agonisingly wide.
From then on the USP defense stood firm and they restricted Flackwell to very few chances.

The loudest cheer of the game came when USP sealed the victory with a well taken header. Minutes later the final whistle blew and the home celebrations started. Renditions of 'Si Senor' were sang loudly with lots of hugging and dancing from the players.

It was an enjoyable occasion with the home team fully deserving their victory as they took one step closer to a Wembley final.

View all photos from US Portsmouth

USPortsmouth v Flackwell Heath _ QF Vase (119).jpg

Noanorak

Junior Team Regular
I'm sure if the poster wanted to share that information, they would have done so. 'BCD', as a phrase means nothing, as a contrived 'official duty', (commonplace) or just keeping your head down and not drawing attention to yourself will change the doors' status to 'ajar' sometimes. Not sure inside a military area would work for the 2nd option...bit scary if it did, really.

Ciderjon

Junior Team Regular
Falcons 0 Upton St Leonard's 0

Reg Davis Memorial Cup, Group Phase
Attn 19 f + n

My original game choice being postponed, I headed to The Beeches in Charlton Kings. A fellow poster recently described this as a Public Park, he was being generous, as I found it no more than a scruffy rec. Falcons play on the furthest (of three) pitch from the changing block, juat a kebab-chuck away from Charlton Rovers' Balcarras School pitch (although they are moving, no details yet). There is no football furniture, it is of open aspect,it's only saving grace being a good take off South-East with views of Leckhampton Hill.

First half was tolerable warchinv, but the second drivelled on in a mire of mediocrity. About as inspiring as tofu.

This completed the league ( and ,therefore, the Reg Davis cup )for me (again). Probably the least inspiring ground in the league, at least the car park was adequate. Roll on Charlton Rovers new home......

Reactions: Tim

ped

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Sheffield United, Barcelona
I went to the historic Beck Lane* to watch a very decent local derby in the Yorkshire Amateur League Division 2

Is it open to spectators?

rambler77

Youth Team Starter
A double header at New College in Leicester

1pm - Allexton & New Parks Reserves 7-2 Birstall Old Boys
(Leicestershire County League Cobbin Trophy Group E)

3:15pm - Allexton & New Parks 4-0 Blaby & Whetstone
(Leicestershire Senior League Everards Restart Premier Cup Group 1)

Officially both games behind closed doors, but the club cannot stop people to come and watch. Only a handful @ both games, which included the parent(s) of some of the young ANP lads in the first game. Even though I am an LSL official, I still checked with ANP that they were happy for me to come down. This was a decent afternoon at a venue only five minutes drive from home.

Match photos from the games can be viewed in the links below:
reserves - https://rambler77.zenfolio.com/p124098519
1st team - https://rambler77.zenfolio.com/p72020274

andy smith

Junior Team Sub
2 games for me, both were first games of double headers..

Game 1 12:00 Mid-Essex League Div.3
Great Bradfords 3 South Woodham Ferrers United 0 (H/T 2 -0)
F&N
Watched this game in the company Of Dog Man...

Game 2 14:00 Mid-Essex League Div.1
Notley 2 Baddow Athletic 2 (H/T 0 - 1)
F&N

The follow up games finished Great Bradfords 0 South WoodhamFerrers Utd 2
and Notley 2 Baddow Ath. 0...

Chris1963

First Team Sub
Hampshire Premier League Challenge Cup (Group 1)

Clarendon 1 Michelmersh & Timsbury 2 (H/T 1-0)

Entry free, 20 page programme available for £2

Crowd - c. 25

With Clarendon producing only their second ever programme, courtesy of JMA Programmes (many thanks to the poster who informed us of this) I decided to make the trip to this club who actually play in Wiltshire. It has to be said that I would probably have attended the first match with a programme, which was played in early September, but I had not been aware of it until after the match had been played.

As strange as this may seem, there does not appear to be any town or village called ‘Clarendon’ anywhere in the UK. There is a ruined castle called ‘Clarendon Palace’ halfway between Salisbury and Middle Winterslow, and the Wikipedia entry for it states that there is a nearby civil parish called ‘Clarendon Park’ with a population of 246. The detailed club history in the programme says that the club was named after ‘Clarendon Way’ which is a road somewhere between Salisbury and the Winterslow villages. However, a look at Google Maps does not show this road, so it may have been an ancient road, perhaps something to do with Clarendon Palace.

Getting to the ground, which is in Weston Lane, Middle Winterslow, is unsurprisingly, not easy if you are travelling by public transport. The bus times are far more suited to matches kicking off at 2 pm, or earlier, in winter. There is a bus back to Salisbury after the game at around 4.30 pm, and then the next (and last) bus is not until 7 pm! As I did not want to wait this long, I decided to use Dean station (on the Salisbury to Southampton railway line) and the walk from there to the ground took almost exactly one and a quarter hours. This is a fairly straightforward walk and the fact that the roads involved do not have pavements does not really matter, as the traffic was very light in such a rural area. According to Acme Mapper, the Hampshire-Wiltshire boundary actually runs parallel with the road along much of the route, but the village of Middle Winterslow is comfortably within Wiltshire.

The village is on hilly ground, and the ground is situated on the only relatively flat area of land in the vicinity, on top of a hill. It is divided into two parts, a cricket ground nearest the entrance, and several football pitches behind the cricket pavilion. According to the programme, the cricket club folded in 2019 and so this enabled the football club to use the cricket square for football, with the pitch for this match being marked out on the cricket outfield. The club have a very impressive youth set-up for such a rural place, with lots of junior teams using the pitches and a diagram on a noticeboard showing which pitch is which. There is no cover for spectators anywhere on the complex but the cricket pavilion is only a short distance behind the north goal and programmes / refreshments were on sale from a window facing the pitch. The pavilion appears to be relatively modern but has been built in a ‘retro’ style.

The match, particularly in the second half, was spoiled by numerous stoppages and there should have been at least five minutes of injury time at the end but the referee blew for full-time after adding barely two minutes on, just after the visitors scored their second goal. The home side had taken the lead with a low drive from a corner in the 26th minute and the visitors hit the bar on the stroke of half time. The second half saw Clarendon have a potential second goal disallowed early on, before the visitors hit the woodwork for a second time. Just as it looked as though Clarendon would hang on for victory, the visitors equalized in the 82nd minute and the home keeper was sent off for protesting about it. Michelmersh & Timsbury then snatched a winner barely a minute into stoppage time before the referee, as already mentioned, blew for time.

I had enough time to walk back to Dean station in time for the 18.08 train to Southampton, and the roads were even quieter than they had been earlier. At one stage a mallard landed on the road a short distance ahead of me, and ran quickly (I know ducks don’t often run, but this one did!) before taking off again. Perhaps it mistook the road for a river?

Westberkspalace

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Palace/Didcot T/Epsom and Ewell.
Hampshire Premier League Challenge Cup (Group 1)

Clarendon 1 Michelmersh & Timsbury 2 (H/T 1-0)

Entry free, 20 page programme available for £2

Crowd - c. 25

With Clarendon producing only their second ever programme, courtesy of JMA Programmes (many thanks to the poster who informed us of this) I decided to make the trip to this club who actually play in Wiltshire. It has to be said that I would probably have attended the first match with a programme, which was played in early September, but I had not been aware of it until after the match had been played.

As strange as this may seem, there does not appear to be any town or village called ‘Clarendon’ anywhere in the UK. There is a ruined castle called ‘Clarendon Palace’ halfway between Salisbury and Middle Winterslow, and the Wikipedia entry for it states that there is a nearby civil parish called ‘Clarendon Park’ with a population of 246. The detailed club history in the programme says that the club was named after ‘Clarendon Way’ which is a road somewhere between Salisbury and the Winterslow villages. However, a look at Google Maps does not show this road, so it may have been an ancient road, perhaps something to do with Clarendon Palace.

Getting to the ground, which is in Weston Lane, Middle Winterslow, is unsurprisingly, not easy if you are travelling by public transport. The bus times are far more suited to matches kicking off at 2 pm, or earlier, in winter. There is a bus back to Salisbury after the game at around 4.30 pm, and then the next (and last) bus is not until 7 pm! As I did not want to wait this long, I decided to use Dean station (on the Salisbury to Southampton railway line) and the walk from there to the ground took almost exactly one and a quarter hours. This is a fairly straightforward walk and the fact that the roads involved do not have pavements does not really matter, as the traffic was very light in such a rural area. According to Acme Mapper, the Hampshire-Wiltshire boundary actually runs parallel with the road along much of the route, but the village of Middle Winterslow is comfortably within Wiltshire.

The village is on hilly ground, and the ground is situated on the only relatively flat area of land in the vicinity, on top of a hill. It is divided into two parts, a cricket ground nearest the entrance, and several football pitches behind the cricket pavilion. According to the programme, the cricket club folded in 2019 and so this enabled the football club to use the cricket square for football, with the pitch for this match being marked out on the cricket outfield. The club have a very impressive youth set-up for such a rural place, with lots of junior teams using the pitches and a diagram on a noticeboard showing which pitch is which. There is no cover for spectators anywhere on the complex but the cricket pavilion is only a short distance behind the north goal and programmes / refreshments were on sale from a window facing the pitch. The pavilion appears to be relatively modern but has been built in a ‘retro’ style.

The match, particularly in the second half, was spoiled by numerous stoppages and there should have been at least five minutes of injury time at the end but the referee blew for full-time after adding barely two minutes on, just after the visitors scored their second goal. The home side had taken the lead with a low drive from a corner in the 26th minute and the visitors hit the bar on the stroke of half time. The second half saw Clarendon have a potential second goal disallowed early on, before the visitors hit the woodwork for a second time. Just as it looked as though Clarendon would hang on for victory, the visitors equalized in the 82nd minute and the home keeper was sent off for protesting about it. Michelmersh & Timsbury then snatched a winner barely a minute into stoppage time before the referee, as already mentioned, blew for time.

I had enough time to walk back to Dean station in time for the 18.08 train to Southampton, and the roads were even quieter than they had been earlier. At one stage a mallard landed on the road a short distance ahead of me, and ran quickly (I know ducks don’t often run, but this one did!) before taking off again. Perhaps it mistook the road for a river?
Thanks Chris, that was one of my possibilities. I went to Buck United, another issuer. Do Clarendon have any more home games before season end, and will they issue then as well do you know?

Chris1963

First Team Sub
Do Clarendon have any more home games before season end, and will they issue then as well do you know?
There were no other fixtures listed in the programme and I think this was the last home game of the season. However, JMA Programmes have a very good twitter account that shows the programmes they are issuing and I will certainly be watching this closely in the future to see what clubs they are issuing for.

hantslondoner

Reserve Team Sub
Yes, the Clarendon Way appears to be named after Clarendon Palace, itself within Clarendon Park, a royal hunting lodge for Norman kings. It's a nice 24-mile walk between Winchester and Salisbury:

Since Clarendon FC finished bottom of their group in the cup, I wouldn't expect them to be playing again this season.

EDIT: their Twitter confirms this, plus it says:
We have a limited number of programmes from Saturdays game. Please dm for info to get one posted to you. There is also a couple of our first issue remaining for anyone who wants both.

Chris1963

First Team Sub
Yes, the Clarendon Way appears to be named after Clarendon Palace, itself within Clarendon Park, a royal hunting lodge for Norman kings. It's a nice 24-mile walk between Winchester and Salisbury:
I did actually consider the possibility of walking to the match from Salisbury, and had a look at the footpaths and roads on the maps accordingly (without actually being aware that any of them were called 'Clarendon Way') but ultimately I decided not to walk it after Google Street View showed a road from Salisbury on the route passing through what appears to be someone's private property.

Tyke Traveller

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Scarborough Athletic
Scarborough FC
Kiveton Park 2 Penistone Church Reserves 1
Sheffield County Senior League Cup
Programme – £1
Entry – free
Attendance: A couple of dozen
A real blood and thunder encounter for my first visit to Kiveton Park since they left Hard Lane.
I got a really warm welcome from the club at their new Wales High School home, where they are working hard to turn the playing field into something resembling a proper ground.
Full feature, pictures and report are here – Tyke Travels

Main Drain Man

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Kingstonian Ipswich Town, Rotherham United, Sheffield United, East Fife, Norton Woodseats (RIP)
I had intended being at Flitch United (See report from fatcat), and the League website (Fulltime) had it down as a 3.30 pm kick off. I bowl up at 3.15 and nobody is present....schoolboy error...
However all was not lost as I made it to the aforementioned reserve game referenced by Green Onions, which kicked off at 4pm.

Springfield Reserves 4 Epping Town Reserves 2
Essex Olympian League, Senior Division 5
Att; 50 ish with others viewing from the clubhouse.
Unaware of the existence of a programme....again schoolboy error!

This was a really enjoyable game that saw the hosts dominate the early exchanges but then fall behind after the ref played a very good advantage and the visitors scored from fully thirty yards after about 15 minutes. However by the break it was 3-1 to the hosts and they increased their lead when their number 16, introduced at the break got between and defender and the keeper to lob home. The 16 was a real handful and I wonder why he is only playing at this level, he was a threat all the time he was on. Epping however pulled one back with a well taken shot but never really looked like troubling the hosts who really could have added more but for some lack lustre finishing, the frame of the goal and some good and unorthodox stops from the visitors keeper.
Game was played in excellent spirit although a yellow card was flashed for a foul by a home midfielder which seemed a little harsh, but otherwise all good.
The start was delayed as the visitors had nobody to run the line and also due to a dog deciding to deposit its lunch on the pitch, which of course had to be removed. You never see that at step 6....
Very enjoyable game rounded off by bumping into an old work colleague from years ago.
Springfield 1 Sungate 2

Springfield Reserves 4 Epping Town Reserves 2

Two spot on reports (great stuff guys) for only my 2nd sport’s trip of 2021, and first visit to The Arun since a morning kick off on FA Cup Final day, umpteen years ago. Loads of dog walkers, especially during the first match as undeniable proof that this is public land. With the significant other deciding to come along too, to ensure I didn’t abuse my newfound freedom, her suggestion that we grab a Chinese on the way home, following our joint week on a starvation diet was folly to the success of the weight loss but very welcome. So just a couple of cuppas at the game and a shared Kit Kat with the alcohol on hold until cracking a couple of cans from Big Smoke back home.

Regarding the programmes, although having the same design and a couple of duplicated articles, they were unique, even down to different cover pics. With the reserves at home for the next few Saturdays I would assume more of the same to follow.

pilgrim46

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Plymouth Argyle, any non league team in Devon & Cornwall
South Devon League Premier Division Cup
East Allington United 6-1 Elburton Villa Reserves (3-1 H/T)
f & n - Att 20 (hc)

As the scoreline suggests this was a comfortable win in the end for East Allington although Elburton made them work for it particularly in the first half. It was 1-1 after 5 minutes but after this it was constant pressure from East Allington & they should have scored more than the 2 they did in the first half. The 3rd goal came right on the stroke of half time & appeared to knock the stuffing out of the visitors. The 2nd half was one way traffic & the home side cruised to victory.

The ground is in the middle of nowhere & I still don't know how I got there. It's situated high above the village & offers outstanding views of the Devon countryside. There are fences around 3 sides & as you turn into the ground you can park behind the near goal. Only the top goal was out of bounds as this was right against a hedge with the dressing rooms & a tea hut (which was closed) situated in the far corner. There are permanent dug outs & it is a very pleasant place to watch in nice weather. I would imagine on a winter's day it would be the opposite. An enjoyable day & sat nav managed to get me home within 35 minutes.

Reactions: Tim

Burgesshillbee

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Brentford
Basildon Town 0 v 0 Harold Wood Athletic Essex Olympian League Premier Division F&N Att 77 Abbswolf h/c Coffee c/o Henfield Bee

Another dip into the EOL, Basildon Town play at Basildon Sports and Social Club, which was a busy venue with games also being played on 2 other pitches with the lights of Basildon Utd which could be seen a short distance away, the pitch is railed off but no other football furniture, the bar was doing a good trade and Henfield Bee was able to get coffee from the bar. Not the greatest of games, but was closely fought with the home side having a goal disallowed in each half, one player was lucky not to get sent off when he appeared to headbutt an opponent however the referee only caught the aftermath and handed out a couple of yellow cards, despite it being goalless there was still some good chat with abbswolf and an official from the SECFL on all football matters.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks