• Welcome... you are currently viewing the Forum as a Guest. If you create an account or log in if you aleady have one you will see less adverts and will have the opporunity to remove the adverts altogether for just £1.50 a month by upgrading in your Profile screen... the Ads and Upgrades provide the funds to keep NLM online.... Thanks

Saturday 16th October 2021

Pawn Of Prophecy

Reserve Team Sub
Southern Counties East Division 1

Forest Hill Park 0 Westside 1

Played at the Ladywell Arena.

Entry £6 ( they don't appear to have a concession rate !). Weather - dry and cool. Attendance - h/c 20

Ladywell is situated between Lewisham and Catford in South London. The Arena is part of a larger park. Running track of course and the match is only really viewable from one side, where there is a small stand of probably 100 seats in three tiers. There is a small tea bar.

The match was uninspiring with defences well on top. I was resigned to a barren afternoon when an excellent throughball from the away 17 enabled Cover to run on and slot it in. An FHP official shouted abuse at the ref following this goal at some perceived injustice and then stormed off to the dressing room, the ref rather humorously waving a yellow card at his retreating back.

Steveb

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
12 noon
Independent Schools FA Cup, 3rd round
Royal Russell School 1 Brooke House College 3 (att 25 h/c)
Free admission, no progs

We were in the south east anyway and having enjoyed an ISFA Cup tie at Reading Blue Coat in midweek I decided to take advantage of the Saturday lunchtime kick off at Royal Russell in Croydon. I feared my plan for a double might come unstuck as the second half began late and then had 10 minutes of stoppage time (after a 40 minute half) with Royal Russell pushing hard to level.

In the end though Brooke House, from Leicestershire, hit them on the break to complete a 3-1 win. They'd been a goal down at half time but deserved their second half comeback. It was a good game between two high quality sides.

Royal Russell have excellent sports facilities in the grounds of the school. This was on 'pitch 1' which has dugouts and a chain link fence along one side and a pavilion behind the goal. Free hot drinks, and cakes, were available from the pavilion.

For anyone unfamiliar with the Independent Schools FA's flagship cup competition (sponsored by upmarket jewellery retailer Boodles), it's a nationwide competition for under 18s teams from fee-paying schools. Those schools who concentrate on football employ top coaches and have some very good players. Access to matches for spectators varies depending on the venue. The ISFA website is regularly updated with fixtures and results.

DSCF9968.JPG

2.45pm
Kent County League, Premier Division
Peckham Town 4 Tudor Sports 0 (att 186 official)
£3 admission, £1 programme

Not quite on the scale of Newcastle Blue Star, but Peckham Town are another step seven club pulling in the crowds, boosted for this game by near-neighbours and kindred spirits Dulwich Hamlet being without a fixture.

The later than expected finish at Royal Russell, coupled with London traffic, meant I arrived at the 'Menace Arena' closer to kick off time than I'd have liked. I feared parking might be a challenge, but the club has an overflow car park on the south side of Dulwich Common, and there was no problem getting a space.

I liked the ground and the vibe at Peckham Town. Assuming floodlights can be erected then promotion to step six will come soon. They easily beat a disappointing Tudor Sports, scoring three in the first half and a fourth in stoppage time.

From the end of October my ageing diesel VW will incur a charge each time I drive inside London's North or South Circular Roads, which was one reason why chose to visit this ground now. I had to head back to Hertfordshire after the game, before diving home, and tried to cross the Thames via the Blackwall Tunnel.

The traffic ground to standstill on the tunnel approach. Eventually both my satnav at Google Maps informed me it was closed, so I endured a frustratingly slow diversion via the Rotherhithe Tunnel. It added over an hour to my journey back to Ware, and meant a late start for the drive back to Manchester. I won't miss trying to drive around central London (at least until I get a newer car).

DSCF0002.JPG

More photos and reports on my blog.

Last edited:

norwich6

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Isthmian League Division One North

Dereham 3 v Witham Town 1 half time 1-0 Attendance announced as 179
Admission £5 oap Programme £2 Tea £1

Used my OAP bus pass from Norwich to Dereham for a first visit to Aldiss Park this season.
Dereham played some good football and they would have scored more had it not been for
a fine display by Rhys Madden in the Witham goal.

Despite dominating the first half Dereham only led 1-0 at the break courtesy of a 39th minute
goal from Hipperson. Witham had few attempts at goal but came close to making it 1-1
early in the second half but Pride the Dereham keeper took the ball off the feet of Cheniti as he
tried to go round him after some good approach play by Witham. Almost immediately after this
Dereham went two up when Bammant scrambled the ball home from close range.

Witham made it 2-1 minutes later when Balde's deflected shot flew over the head of Pride.
Madden then made a number of good saves before Dereham finally got a deserved third goal
11 minutes from time when Logan and Hilliard combined well which ended with Hilliard
side footing home,

Quite impressed with Dereham and if they continue to play like this they will be in the
leading places come the end of the season.

Skyblue tat

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Coventry city
Leicester Tigers
Leicestershire ccc
Midland Football league Division 1.
Nuneaton Griff 3-1 Chelmsley Town.
Admission £ 5 .
Programme £ 1.
Attendance 72.
8th v 10th.

A decent 1st half which saw griff go 2-0 up with both goals from Miles . Chelmsley pulled a goal back from a direct free kick right on half time. Just one more goal in the 2nd half from griff player manager Belcher.

nico

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
SV Schadenfreude
Wakefield & District Football Association
Cyril Craven Challenge Cup
Durkar FC 1-0 Thornesians AFC
2.30pm, at Slack Lane, Newmillerdam
Wakefield League Premier Division versus Yorkshire Amateur League Division 2 {which is actually the 5th tier of the YAL!} A very poor cup tie, with two teams of limited ability, produced the worst match I've witnessed this season ~ at least I saw a goal!

Pink Panther

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Dulwich Hamlet
2.45pm

I liked the ground and the vibe at Peckham Town. Assuming floodlights can be erected then promotion to step six will come soon. They easily beat a disappointing Tudor Sports, scoring three in the first half and a fourth in stoppage time.

There are numerous sports grounds and clubs in and around Dulwich Village and unfortunately anyone applying to erect floodlights tends to encounter strong and co-ordinated opposition from the affluent local NIMBY element. I'm fairly sure they've already tried and failed, though I stand to be corrected.

Combined Counties League Premier Division South
Farnham Town 0 Croydon Athletic 1
Admission £7 (adult)

This was a new ground for me and a chance to catch up with Aldershot-based @Roger D . It's an attractive and quirky little ground with a long history, within easy walking distance of Farnham station and close to the town centre. A small seated stand is perched atop a grass bank to the side of one goal, with a small covered terrace towards the other end along one side. The far end is closed to spectators with space at a premium.

The hosts were in mid-table while the visitors had just one win and six defeats from their previous ten league fixtures. However Athletic had recently held a near full strength Dulwich Hamlet XI to 1-1 over 90 minutes in a county cup tie and again played above their league position to edge a close contest here. The visiting side included the imposing figure of Oshane Brown in goal, who played around a dozen times for the Hamlet in the Isthmian Premier Division 7 or 8 seasons ago. He always looked good enough to establish himself at that level but for his weak kicking and distribution.

It was quite an entertaining game blighted by poor finishing. Both sides played some good constructive football but Farnham struggled to find the final pass to create clear chances, while Athletic displayed a tendency to shoot wildly from improbable scoring positions around the edge of the box.

Farnham should have had a penalty shortly before the 90 minute mark when their lively number 7 was clearly pulled down as he raced into the box, but presumably not so clear to the referee and linesman from their angles. Just as we moved into an ample period of stoppage time Athletic snatched the deciding goal. A pass was played into one of their substitutes, inside the penalty area to the left of goal, and he turned smoothly to strike a firm shot into the far corner of the net.

I haven't been able to find the official attendance anywhere but it must have been well into three figures with a lot of families and young children, which is always good to see at non-league games.

chesterbird

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Chester City, Liverpool
Wombwell Town 4 South Elmsall United Services 3, Sheffield & Hallamshire County Senior League Division 1, Att: 70, Admission: No, Prog: £1.50

A good day all round in South Yorkshire began with a brief tour of some of the other Barnsley area venues which for one reason or another I had so far failed to grab a photo of. Stop offs at Woolley Miners Welfare (where North Gawber Colliery apparently play), Spark Lane Mapplewell (where North Gawber used to play), Dorothy Hyman Stadium and Cemetery Lane Grimethorpe led me to Wombwell Recreation Ground in plenty of time for an extremely entertaining contest between two well-matched sides who showed plenty of skill and endeavour, refereed very well without linesmen of any description. The visitors took an early lead, Wombwell equalising midway through the first period before taking the lead just after the break. The lead was shortlived, the visitiing no 10 scoring his second of the game with a Panenka penalty but the home side almost immediately took the lead with a looping cross-shot which deceived the 'keeper. A well-taken fourth with twenty minutes left seemed to have secured the points and Wombwell clung on despite a late third South Elmsall goal. The ground, on Station Road (no Station any longer, nor is the nearby Railway Hotel a hostelry) is very smart. A good sized covered stand featuring a small section of seats flanked by several steps of terracing is the main feature of a ground which also has an unused cinder athletics track around the pitch perimeter. Two dugouts stand opposite the stand, with spectators allowed pitch side here, behind a rope. A large building housing changing rooms and a function room with a bar dispensing hot and cold drinks stands behind the goal nearest the entrance while a very unusual feature, a karting track runs behind the far goal and loops down the far side behind the dugouts. The friendly locals are rightly proud of the way Wombwell are progressing on and off the field and have aims of Northern Counties East football in the not too distant future. A brief stop off at Worsborough Bridge to update photos before arriving home in just about 2 hours.
Hi Andy,oldhampostcode here,we might be going to Woolley next saturday,there is also the Nailmaker brewery tap/shop not far from Darton rail station(going the other way from the ground but not far)

chesterbird

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Chester City, Liverpool
Newsome 1 v Britannia Sports 4 Huddersfield FA Cup no adm or prog att approx 30.

Top of first division v top of the 2nd so maybe a close game--not a bit of it as Newsome collapsed to defeat against much better opponents on the day.Newsome missed a penalty after around 15-20 mins and that seemed to deflate them as the away side banged in 2 goals in each half to easily go through to the next round.Have to unfortunatly say that the young referee didnt do too well,losing control of the game when one or two feisty tackles went in and the home side especially mouthing their displeasure--definitly one or two could have been booked and to be fair one was sent off near the end.A cracking consolation for Newsome from around 30 yards didnt alter the fact they were well beaten.Out with our good lady friend from Cumbria who was staying with us at night around Huddersfield.

The Moose

Youth Team Sub
STH WALES ALLIANCE PREM: BLAENRHONDDA 2 MERTHYR SNTS 0

ADM / PROG: F & N ATT: h/c 45

Finally now completed all the Welsh entrants in ‘that’ 100 best UK grounds book. Have to say the Cymru teams have been an absolute pleasure to visit, with Blaenrhondda being the icing on the cake. Tiz set in a public park, so they don’t / can’t charge admission it seems.

For step 4 level of non league footy in Wales, this is a stunning vicinity to watch the beautiful game. Small terrace cover on one side, with concrete steps meandering round another two. If you use your imagination (a lot), you can sense the feel of an amphitheatre akin to Verona. Yes, I did like it, & it was well worth the two hours by trusty steed!

As for the match, we’ll for 72 minutes I thought I was in for another pair of specs, as nought really happened. Two looping headers later, we saw some action & I was a happy bunny. Quality isn’t great at this level, but the mountain vista more than makes up for that.

Dearly beloved persuaded me to stop at Pontypridd market on the way up through the Rhondda valleys. Let’s just say, tiz a throwback to a forgotten time in the 70’s whereby not much has changed since. Personally, I don’t mind old school places that still have some character & already looking forward to my next trip over the bridge.

KRTM 😎

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
From the end of October my ageing diesel VW will incur a charge each time I drive inside London's North or South Circular Roads, which was one reason why chose to visit this ground now. I had to head back to Hertfordshire after the game, before diving home, and tried to cross the Thames via the Blackwall Tunnel.
This is true for many of us with diesel vehicles, even those not very old.
Peckham is of course on the South Circular, (so not incurring a charge), but the charges would occur for both Blackwell and Rotherhithe tunnels

Ellisref

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Wrexham and a general look out for some of the friendly teams I've been observing at around the country.
12 noon
Independent Schools FA Cup, 3rd round
Royal Russell School 1 Brooke House College 3 (att 25 h/c)
Free admission, no progs

We were in the south east anyway and having enjoyed an ISFA Cup tie at Reading Blue Coat in midweek I decided to take advantage of the Saturday lunchtime kick off at Royal Russell in Croydon. I feared my plan for a double might come unstuck as the second half began late and then had 10 minutes of stoppage time (after a 40 minute half) with Royal Russell pushing hard to level.

In the end though Brooke House, from Leicestershire, hit them on the break to complete a 3-1 win. They'd been a goal down at half time but deserved their second half comeback. It was a good game between two high quality sides.

Royal Russell have excellent sports facilities in the grounds of the school. This was on 'pitch 1' which has dugouts and a chain link fence along one side and a pavilion behind the goal. Free hot drinks, and cakes, were available from the pavilion.

For anyone unfamiliar with the Independent Schools FA's flagship cup competition (sponsored by upmarket jewellery retailer Boodles), it's a nationwide competition for under 18s teams from fee-paying schools. Those schools who concentrate on football employ top coaches and have some very good players. Access to matches for spectators varies depending on the venue. The ISFA website is regularly updated with fixtures and results.

View attachment 16330

2.45pm

Not quite on the scale of Newcastle Blue Star, but Peckham Town are another step seven club pulling in the crowds, boosted for this game by near-neighbours and kindred spirits Dulwich Hamlet being without a fixture.

The later than expected finish at Royal Russell, coupled with London traffic, meant I arrived at the 'Menace Arena' closer to kick off time than I'd have liked. I feared parking might be a challenge, but the club has an overflow car park on the south side of Dulwich Common, and there was no problem getting a space.

The traffic ground to standstill on the tunnel approach. Eventually both my satnav at Google Maps informed me it was closed, so I endured a frustratingly slow diversion via the Rotherhithe Tunnel. It added over an hour to my journey back to Ware, and meant a late start for the drive back to Manchester. I won't miss trying to drive around central London (at least until I get a newer car).

View attachment 16331

More photos and reports on my blog.
Totally agree the comments about ISFA football, standard of play is very good and coaching staff are of a high standard and very professional i.e. no verbal histrionics. Have done games for Bournemouth Collegiate and Canford in the past.

sheffgeoff

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Colchester United
Stocksbridge Park Steels
Borussia Dortmund
Southern Combination Division One
Arundel 2 Forest Row 3
Admission £5, prog donation
Hot drinks £1.20, food available
Bar open
Attendance 75 appx.

Lovely ground in a lovely town.

Spent the morning in Bognor Regis and then did a tour of Arundel. Fully enclosed and railed. There is a covered seated stand on half way and covered standing on the opposite side towards the corner. There is also cover in front of the tea bar.

A really enjoyable game. It started slowly but burst to life after the opening goal. The visiting keeper tried to pass out but his teammate lost possession. One pass across and Arundel scored. It was 2-0 with a fine solo goal. The striker beat numerous defenders to fire home. The visitors were the better side and twice hit the post but luck deserted them until FR got back into it from a penalty conceded just before half time. HT 2-1

It was level soon after the restart. Both sides came close but it looked to be heading for a draw until FR struck the winner with ten to go. The hosts were unable to counter. FT 3-2.
Also at Mill Road having travelled by train to Arundel. When I arrived shortly before one it was very wet and miserable and I headed straight to the Harveys Brewery tied house The White Hart. A pint of Old Ale later and the rain had stopped and the sun was making an appearance. The small town centre is quite a tourist trap with it’s impressive castle and catholic cathedral and has a good choice of food and drink outlets. By the time I arrived at the ground it was a glorious autumnal afternoon.

Wiretown Ed has summed up the ground and game nicely. For the record Arundel’s goals were scored by Kenzie Oatway (15’) and Lucas Micevicus (17’) whilst Forest Row’s three were all scored by Tom Underwood (45’+2‘, 49’ & 85’). The reported attendance was 42.

7811AE61-51DD-4D73-8821-815BB38084FE.jpeg5296E13F-EFBD-42CD-883A-39766FB8053D.jpeg

Steveb

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
Bedale 3 Kader 1
North Riding County Cup 1st round
h/t 2-0
h/c 11

Bedale seem to have a bit of an identity crisis. The club are listed on fulltime as Bedale AFC. Three seperate signs at the ground have them down as AFC Bedale, Bedale Athletic and Bedale Town. They've gone down as just plain Bedale in my records.
Bedale Athletic and Bedale Town were separate clubs who shared the ground. I visited for an Athletic game in 2002, and have a note that Athletic and Town merged in 2008. The merged club was just called Bedale (or maybe AFC Bedale/Bedale AFC), at least originally.

The vulture

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Groundhog
Duchy League Division One West @ Victoria Bottoms P.F. :
Nanpean Rovers 3 Lanivet Inn 0.
Att 29(h/c)

This one was all about the ground rather than the game, and a ground most are familiar with whether they've visited or not.

The Palladian cover at one end is like nothing I've seen at a UK ground. Raised on banking above one end an even more birds eye view was available by taking the steps up the side and standing atop it.

In all the ground had cover at both ends and an overhang from the dressing room/tea bar block. Suffice to say that I and fellow groundhog Tim were suitably impressed.

On the pitch the visitors initially looked the likeliest but by the break Nanpean led and had the luxury of a missed penalty. HT 1-0.

Table topping Nanpean controlled the 2nd half netting twice more for a comfortable victory.

The natives were friendly and proud of the ground and happy to tell you about it and its history.

A pain free journey down, car to Westbury then train to Exeter where Tim kindly picked me up and provided taxi services for the afternoon ; thank you Sir. Opportunity was taken to have a look at Roche's ground and we also located Bugle. Unable to access it but we could see that the big stand was still in situ, the locals at Nanpean thought that no club was using it at present.

To top off a fine trip Tim comfortably got me back to Exeter in time for the 17:55, which in turn had me back in Westbury for 19:10. All in all a rather splendid day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tim

CitizenGeorge

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Chelsea
Winchester City
Isthmian League Division 1 South Central
Tooting & Mitcham United 0-1 Bracknell Town
Entry: £11
Programme: £2.50
Jerk Chicken & Rice: £7 (Should have ordered it off the bone)
Coke/Pepsi: Coke

With Winchester City not supplying a coach to Cinderford I opted to go to Tooting and Mitcham, having opted against going the previous week lest my CST membership incur the wrath of the visiting ultras. A change at Surbiton got me to Wimbledon where a tram took me to Mitcham and a ground with a sleek stand running along one side and two old-style terraces at each end. I decided to try something different and had the Jerk Chicken and Rice; very good, but better without the bone in my view.

The match itself was a fairly even affair, settled in the 30th minute when Bracknell #2 headed home at the far post a couple of minutes after a Tooting player hit the crossbar. Both sides had chances to score in the second half, with the Bracknell keeper and profligacy keeping the score down before a mass brawl erupted among the players after the final whistle. Changes at Wimbledon and Surbiton saw me back home in Alton by 7:15.

buncranaboy

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Bostock Stanley, Barnstoneworth United
Wearside League 1 : Coxhoe Athletic 0 Chester le Street United 4. Admission £3/£1.50. No programmes. Attendance : 57 (hc)

Time for a first stroll around Durham this morning, a notable omission from my list of places visited. A couple of hours pootling around the stunning Cathedral and and Castle was never going to be enough; I'll be back with Mrs BB at some point in the future.
After the heavy stuff of last night and an even heavier breakfast, beer was not on the agenda though we did divert to the Square & Compass on the ridiculously pretty village green at Cornforth, just a couple of miles shy of Coxhoe for my passenger KYM to enjoy his Double Maxim.
Coxhoe's Beechfield Park is stunning in its own way. Immaculately maintained, it houses a hotch-potch of stands and buildings and were it not for the lack of lights, would easily qualify as a ground fit for the Northern League. There's a ramshackle cover as you enter from Commercial Road East; behind the goal to the left is a most quirky covered bench on top of the bank, while the far side consists of a covered terrace and a separate seated stand of three rows of maybe 50 seats in total. Behind the stands are a collection of club buildings, public loos and canteen from where we sampled a cheese & onion pasty & bovril for £2. Hard standing all round, and the place is an absolute picture.
Unfortunately, Coxhoe are going in the opposite direction to the Northern League as they're cut adrift at the foot of the table with only 2 points from 14 games and they were no match for CLS United who should have won by more. We did hear someone say that they had some kind of tie-in with Carlisle and were their development team. Sounds a little unlikely but ...........
Pitstop on the way home at Wetherby for the Whaler chippy and Mews gastropub. Key in door at 9.30 when it would have been approaching half-time in Sittard................
1634502051046.png1634502067782.png1634502082699.png1634502098459.png

Barnetby Railwayman

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Barnetby United (Saturday/Sunday)
All Barnetby football from 1885
Barnetby United 4 Crowle Colts Development 3 (HT 2-1)
Scunthorpe & District League, Sporting Shield, Round Two (2.30)
Free admission
Free 12pp programme (I made a donation)
Attendance 17 (h/c)
No refreshments available

My second trip to North Lincolnshire in a week was rewarded with another entertaining game. The home contingent felt First Division made hard work of ousting Second Division. No complaints from this neutral, though - especially as Barnetby annihilated new-boys Gunness & Burringham 12-1 in the previous round.

When Barnetby led 2-0 - both soft goals - after 23 minutes, I feared a repeat. But a goalkeeping howler in the 33rd minute, a couple of minutes after the hosts had squandered a one-on-one, allowed Crowle to halve the deficit. If anything, in what remained until half-time, Crowle looked the better side.

The impressive Crowle keeper - as solid as his opposite number seemed vulnerable - pulled off the pick of several fine saves a minute into the second half. Seven minutes later, the visitors equalised with a superbly worked goal.

Barnetby, wearing Grimsby Town's colours (right down to red socks), hit back to score in the 63rd and 85th minutes. In the 89th minute, their No 9 was denied a hat-trick when his acutely angled shot came back off the inside off the far post then rolled along the goalline before being cleared.

To keep things interesting, and ensuring a tense three minutes of stoppage time, Crowle got a third in the 90th minute when Barnetby failed to deal with a corner.

Up front, Barnetby's Brendan O'Callaghan (not the Brendan O'Callaghan, of Donny Rovers fame) was a handful all afternoon. His 18-yard free-kick, the hosts' third goal, was a beauty. Jacob Dunstan was a rock in the Crowle defence. Same referee, Stephen Farrow, as last Saturday at Immingham Town. Two good performances from him.

As a railway photographer, I'm no stranger to Barnetby-le-Wold (the three-way junction's now removed array of semaphore signals and extant procession of freight trains always made a visit worthwhile), but this was a first trip to the village for anything else.

Barnetby's pitch - flat and on the large side - is part of Barnetby Parish Council-owned Barnetby Recreational Field. The facilities, pretty good for a community of modest size, include a small, single-storey building provided for the football club to use as dressing rooms and a clubhouse. The pitch is about 50 yards from the dressing rooms. There isn't any 'football furniture' - not even a temporary rope barrier.

Barnetby United, founded in 1936, are nicknamed the Railwaymen. Even today, I was told, by their friendly secretary, one or two railway employees number amongst their players. From the pitch, the multi-metal railway, 75 yards to the east but screened by mature trees, is heard rather than seen.

The 2021-22 season marks the centenary of the Scunthorpe & District League. An appropriate time to take in one of its clubs.

As last week, shunning the A1079 and the Humber Bridge, I drove the scenic route from York at a leisurely pace: Escrick, Skipwith, North Duffield, Bubwith, Howden, Old Goole, Eastoft, Luddington, Amcotts, Keadby, Scunthorpe and the M180. Lovely autumn colours. Returning, I noted the Glanford Park floodlights were on. A 0-2 defeat by Forest Green Rovers and, sadly, another step closer to non-league football for apparently rudderless Scunthorpe United.
It was a pleasure to host you!!! Apologies for the lack of pin badge’s. Brilliant photos thank you, programs are free, thank you for the donation, I enjoy doing them it gets history put down in old fashion ink and paper!!!

Baggie Wingstone

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
W.B.A., Welling United & Wealdstone
FA Cup 4th QU Round

Bedfont Sports 0 Kidderminster Harriers 1

Admission: £8/£6 Programme: on line only but free teams sheets at the turnstiles Att: 410

This was Bedfont Sports' debut at this stage of the competition and, with quite a few Kidderminster supporters in attendance, they were rewarded with a much bigger crowd than their usual attendance. The ground is a 15 min walk from Hatton Cross LT Station, with Feltham & Bedfont's ground adjoining it. Despite being advised to purchase tickets in advance, I took a chance on the day (reasoning that I would watch British Airways FC who ground share with B&T next door if there were any problems) and there was no queue whatsoever on the cash turnstile. There was a lot of seating in the ground but, as usual standing spectators ignored the signs asking them not to stand in front of the seated areas, so much of the seating was useless from a viewing perspective. Had originally intended to watch from the home end but the hosts had armed some 20-30 youngsters with vuvuselas so opted to stand at the away end to avoid the ensuing racket. Any plane spotters would have enjoyed it as the ground is right on the Heathrow flight path so there were a large number of low flying aircraft coming in to land throughout the match.

Quite an entertaining game and Bedfont were well organised for a Step 4 side. There only real chance arose after only 2 mins but the ensuing shot was competently dealt with by the Kidderminster keeper. After that Bedfont only had half chances that were dealt with by a well marshalled defence. Man of the match for me was Bedfont's keeper Dimitrious Kyriatzis, who pulled off a string of fine saves as well as commanding his area at all times. He was finally beaten after pulling off another excellent save on 58 mins but unfortunately for him the ball ran lose to KH's forward Amari Morgan-Smith who converted from close range. After that KH were able to see the game out reasonably comfortably.

On the way back to the station afterwards a police van and car were seen speeding towards the ground, with sirens and flashing lights in operation. Can only assume there must have been some post match altercation. this was surprising as, other than a small number of morons amongst the KH supporters standing behind the goal whose sole aim seemed to be directing verbal abuse against the Bedfont keeper, the atmosphere in the ground was very good natured.

A shame that Bedfont did not opt of a one off printed programme on the day as their on-line effort was 56 pages and I am sure a large number would have been sold on the day.

Cherryhopper

First Team Regular
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
Bristol City 0-2 AFC Bournemouth
Att 20,828 Season ticket, prog online only

Bah. Another home game without a win. That’s 16. Six bloody teen. Last home win was in January. Last one in front of fans, January 2020. Ridiculous.

To be fair b’muff we’re very good indeed, basically a Prem team having a few months off. They outplayed us in every area and should have won by more. 73% possession and 22 shots on goal.

Best team I’ve seen this season. They will win the Champ on this evidence, better than Fulham and WBA.

In other news, delighted to see Yate Town get a replay in their cup tie down at Dover. I was looking forward to a big night at Lodge Road but just realised it clashes with City v Forest next Tuesday. Bugger.
Also at Ashton Gate. Jack Stacey set up Ryan Lowe to score his first goal for Cherries and Jordan Zemura double the lead just before half time with a cracking strike from a tight angle. Cherries should have scored more and at 2-0 the game is never over with us given how we threw it away against Blackpool and were hanging on against QPR and Luton after being 2-0 up. Think this is the first time I have seen Cherries win here, always won when I didn't go, always lost when I did apart from a thrilling 3-3 draw on a Friday night when we came back from 3-1 down. Last visit was a 0-3 loss on a Sunday between Christmas and New Year in December 2003 and Ashton Gate has improved significantly since. The new main stand reminds me of the main stand at Anfield before the third tier was added and a new stand behind the Winterstoke Road End with what looks like railed seating in the corner next to the Dolman Stand. This used to be the away end with seats plonked on the old terracing where the only way to get a view of the game at the back was to stand on the seats. Away fans now in the stand behind the opposite end which was an open terrace and the away end on my first visit in February 1987 (a 0-2 loss although we went on to clinch the 3rd Division title that season). Drove to Frome to catch the train which was more than 20 minutes late which meant I only just made the connection to Parson Street, rather than run back there to make the 1711 train after the game walked to Temple Meads making the 1743 train with 6 minutes to spare.

Stoodley Pike

First Team Hopeful
It was a pleasure to host you!!! Apologies for the lack of pin badge’s. Brilliant photos thank you, programs are free, thank you for the donation, I enjoy doing them it gets history put down in old fashion ink and paper!!!
There's life in printed programmes yet. Lovely retro cover you have.

To round off my report with the scorers' names...

Harry Finnis netted Barnetby's second and fourth goals (and, at the death, went agonisingly close to a hat-trick). Brendan O'Callaghan's 18-yard free-kick regained the lead for the Railwaymen, who had gone ahead early doors through Josh Goodman. Crowle's scorers (in order) were Toby Poole, Jack Martinson and Terry Odling.

Thanks to this forum's OldKnut for the recommendation.

Incidentally, Terry Hall - terrysbadges.co.uk - has Barnetby United pin badges in stock, if none are available at Silver Street.

AdBlock Detected

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks