Saturday 1 August 2020

hemelhopper

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Hemel Hempstead Town; Trust Portsmouth FC and the Reds of Cincinnati
BTC Southampton 6-0 AFC Mayflower (Pre-Season Friendly)
- played at BTC Sports Ground, Stoneham Lane, Southampton from 2.00pm.

Att – 12 (h/c); Entry and Prog – none; Parking - free and plenty
Weather – an odd light shower, amongst clouds and sunshine
Travel – west along the M27, at a leisurely pace (digging’s coming along slowly)
Colours – BTC in all blue with white stripes .. AFCM in all black with orange stripes

Been meaning to call in and watch a game here for a while .. always passed by and just never ventured in .. and today, a couple of pitches were in use by the hosts .. Vets or Reserves playing on the grassed area nearer the Clubhouse .. whilst the main grass pitch (for this game), further away, flatter and having two masonry dugouts on the far side .. no fixed furniture elsewhere.

Our teams were from the respective Senior League and Junior 3rd Division, of the Southampton Saturday League .. the hosts size and age apparent .. always the stronger and forcing most of the play in the first half .. but credit to AFCM, as they provided good keeping, dealt with an early injury .. and provided solid defence, to keep the game tight early on .. the score even (nil-nil) at the half.

Second was one way though, given the pressure and legs tiring .. the goals going in on 58 (right sided attack and shot off inside of post), 60 (turn and shoot), 67 (left footer defected to inside of right post), 75 (cut back from right side and tapped in), 76 (left sided attack, crossed and turned in) and 88 (defensive mistake and then one on one, picked his spot) .. all very enjoyable and good to be back out in the fresh air.

Merlin the happy pig

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Oxford United
QK Southampton 0-0 Romsey Town.

Nice to get out for a game. Unfortunately no goals, but a nice tidy ground and free to get in, so no complaints.

Andy D

Youth Team Sub
After a disappointing but not entirely surprising no-show at my morning game at Prestbury Rovers v Smiths Barometrics (no replies to my requests to both clubs for confirmation of venue, certainly wasn't either clubs' home ground but Smiths apparently won 3-1) I headed for......

Dursley Town 7 MPK Lofts 1, Att: 60, Admission/Prog: No

Much more activity at this pleasant venue on the edge of the Cotswolds. Arriving more than two hours prior to kick off, there were already people erecting gazebos which were to act as changing areas and both teams had arrived an hour before kick off. The pitch is in the corner of the town recreation ground and is railed on one side with two permanent dugouts on the same side. The remainder of the pitch was open but was enclosed on two sides by hedges. The game was a little one-sided, the hosts from the Gloucestershire Northern Senior League were quicker and more skilful than their Bristol Suburban League visitors and scored at regular intervals, reaching the break 4-0 ahead. Credit to MPK Lofts for not giving up but they were always struggling to compete. Other than the gazebos the only other concession to the virus was a ballgirl wearing gloves who retrieved all stray balls. No track & trace details were taken and social distancing was not something the locals sermed to take any notice of. During the second half the local air ambulance landed behind one goal to a chorus of sirens passing the ground. Hopefully it wasn't as bad as it sounded.

Good to be back.

buncranaboy

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Bostock Stanley, Barnstoneworth United
Dawley Town 3 Wednesfield 5. Attendance : 90 (hc). F&N

Just good to get back in the Saturday routine of beer/chippy/football/talking bollocks - been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely time etc.
Myself, catchagogoal and knowyourmarket met at the excellent Pheasant Inn in the centre of Wellington which had a number of Rowton ales amongst others and plenty of tables out the back on a mild afternoon. Free parking was available next door at the Wilko car park.
Dawley is a few miles from Wellington and was at one time going to be "Dawley New Town" when the modern conurbation was conceived in the early sixties but in 1968 the New Town was named after Thomas Telford instead - it could all have been so different! Today, Dawley's residential streets are rather quaint and old-fashioned, apart from the dismal High Street that is. There is a free car park at the top of Doseley Road from where it's only a couple of minutes walk to the ground. We diverted via the Flying Fish just round the corner which had all the healthy food a hopper could wish for before wandering down the incline to the ground.
Dawley are last year's Telford Juniors whose name still appears all over the ground, and I understand they'll be in the new Shropshire County League this season. Wednesfield are still in the WML Prem at Step 6.
I'd done this ground back in March 2015 for a WML2 clash between Oakengates Athletic and FC Stafford (1-2, att 28) and not a great deal has changed in the interim though there are signs that hard standing is being laid down and the ground has a new mesh fence on it's north side, making it self-contained and thus eligible for FF funding I believe. One of our names/numbers was taken for T&T and there were no drinks available today unlike my previous visit - there is no clubhouse on site. Spick and span toilets open and that's yer lot by way of spectator facilities.
The game was over as a contest early on with Wednesfield going four up before a second-half fightback saw the deficit reduced to one. Briefly. A pretty feisty affair that threatened to get out of hand on occasions but I'm sure both sides will just have been grateful to get back to matchday action.
And so say all of us...........

Chris1963

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Oxford United / groundhopper
Welcome to the forum Merlin, especially as you're an Oxford United fan like myself!

As no-one else has posted on my game yet, I will report on it now.

Virginia Water 0 Balham 1 (H/T 0-1) F & N

This was actually a revisit, as I had already been to Crown Road for a midweek game in April 1994, and as I had not taken any photos on that occasion, today was an ideal opportunity to make up for it.
I could not remember anything of what the ground looked like, which shows just how important it is to take photos. Fortunately it was clear that the venue looked pretty much the same as it did in 1994.
The game was not a classic. It started well with the visitors scoring with a fine pass and shot in the 5th minute, but apart from a goalmouth scramble at the same end some ten minutes later, there was very little of note in the game until the home side headed a corner wide in second half stoppage time. (Despite it being a friendly, the referee added on several minutes in each half which, along with the neutral linesmen, helped make it feel like a competitive match.)

To avoid paying the train fare I travelled on the Piccadilly Line to Hounslow West and then caught the 203 bus to Staines. The bus service between Staines and Virginia Water was not operating today, so I walked all the way there and back, which took one hour and twenty minutes. Whenever 1st August falls on a Saturday, I often seem to use the Piccadilly Line. In 1981 (which happened to be my first match after leaving school) I went to Southall v Feltham (Middlesex Charity Cup) and in 1987 I attended Yeading v Brentford (friendly) both of which involved taking buses from Hounslow Central.

Last edited:

Tim

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Stourbridge, Welton Rovers
Glastonbury 4 Manor Athletic 0 (PSF) Att: 35 h/c f&n t&t

My season began at the 3G at Strode College in Street, for a County League v Yeovil League clash. The Dollies led inside a minute but things were reasonably even until the closing stages. Manor looked a decent side, but had little up front. Glastonbury's midfield impressed. Excellent referee and played in good spirit. Viewing areas on both sides inside the cage - decent venue, which is home to Lantokay and AFC Strode in the Yeovil League.

Then a very short trip to:

Keinton Park Rangers 2 Donyatt United 1 (PSF) Att: 32 h/c f&n t&t

Yeovil League v Perry Street League for this one, and although the standard was lower, the teams were well matched and the game was very enjoyable. A little more aggresive than the morning game - the referee (same one as at Strode) had to reach for the yellow card on a few occasions, but totally diseent free. Rangers play at Keinton Mandeville Playing Field and it's as basic as one might expect, but a very pleasant place to watch a game on a sunny afternoon.

Best Saturday for a very long time.

Ipeland

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
BWFC, local non-league teams
Allscott Heath 2-1 Hampton (2-1 HT) at Shawbirch Lane
Friendly
Admission: £2, Tea: £1, Flapjack: £1 (all paid by contactless)
Attendance: 45 (h/c)

Good to be back watching 22 men kick a ball around. Decent, competitive match to return to as well. Allscott took the lead about 5 minutes in before adding another near the 20 minute mark, both scored by the same guy (didn't have the teams so not sure who), Hampton got one back just before half time with an effort that bounced off the crossbar and just about over the line. Second half had a few less chances but both sides should've added to their tally, Hampton thought they deserved a penalty near the end but the ref ruled it out. Allscott probably deserved the win on the balance of play.

Allscott's a ground I've been meaning to do for a bit so good to get it ticked off here, friendly club. Railed off pitch with hard standing most of the way around, no cover except for a small corrugated iron structure with a bench underneath it, tea bar/toilets and changing rooms in portakabins. Covid regulations very well with everything paid with contactless, one way system for the tea bar, details/temperature taken before entering and plenty of sanitiser around. Ground is next door to a cricket pitch which saw Newport comfortably beat Alscott by 9 wickets, the visitors innings took roughly the length of the match. The proximity did lead to a funny moment where several fielders whiffed while trying to kick the football back.

umbria99

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Northamton Town
Romsey Town
Romsey Town (1) 1 v Brockenhurst (1) 2
Pre Season Friendly
Chestnut Avenue, Eastleigh (former home of AFC Stoneham)
Admission free - no programme

First game in charge for new Town boss Adam Pullinger (recruited from Colden Common in the close season) and the starting XI had a familiar look with just three new players - and Jake Burgess looking the most impressive - before a rash of substitutions in the second half brought a host of new and often unknown faces and a previously unheard of 3-5-2 formation. An early goal for the visitors was cancelled out by a Craig Bryant header before a comedy of errors in the second half saw a winning goal hit from 35 yards into an unguarded net. Game was played at this venue as Romsey's home ground was being prepared for an comedy event this evening hosted by Town's new sponsors - The House of Comedy - I know you couldn't make it up!

Mark

Junior Team Starter
Also at
Virginia Water 0-1 Balham
Attendance: 63 h/c

As Chris mentioned, not the most incident-packed game. Most people were congregated near the clubhouse with not a lot of social distancing observed.

I drove past loads of gated houses within a mile of the ground, so it’s not surprising they’ve had difficulties improving the facilities. It now comprises two pitches within a public park, the nearest having dugouts and being roped off on the near side, and a clubhouse that looked dated from the outside. I believe the main pitch used to be railed and there were certainly holes around the pitch suggesting this.

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
Another at Virginia Water. Since their Development squad have pulled out of Hellenic 2 a first team pre-season friendly looked like the best bet for ticking The Timbers, a pleasant venue surrounded by trees. Liked the colour of the dugouts painted green, white and maroon. The second pitch is a nice setting in its own right with a small grass bank at the end of a line of trees in the far side. One of the home players told me a new rail is going up around the pitch on 10th August so best to wait for the visit of Bedfont & Feltham on 15th if you want to see it looking more like a proper ground but if looking for a double, next Saturday's match vs Badshot Lea now appears to be a 1200 kick -off. Was also told the club now has planning permission for a new ground with floodlights and a 4G pitch.
IMG_20200801_145245.jpgIMG_20200801_142105.jpg

Sewnapart

Junior Team Sub
Wombwell 0-2 Belper for me too. Calculated attendance as 140 (plus 2 non league dogs). Cracking club, and a really good ground for the level and kept parity against a much higher side with a far larger squad for 71 minutes too, which bodes well. Combined it with most of elsecar v Appleby frodingham in the cricket too (will update other sports thread) to try and make some use of hotel/travel booked for snooker at crucible 🤒

moistureman

Junior Team Hopeful
Viney St. Swithin's 1 Woolaston 1. Att.130. Fine day and setting for this Gloucestershire friendly. Competitive with late goals in each half. Bar open, doing a brisk trade.

m11v03b61

Ball Boy / Girl
FOOTBALL is BACK!!!!!!

01/08/20 - 10:30 AM
Cribbs 3-1 Burnham United (on NEW Training Pitch)

01/08/20 - 12:30 PM
Cribbs 8-1 Nailsea United (on Training Pitch)

01/08/20 - 15:00 PM
Hallen 1-3 Bristol Manor Farm (on Training Pitch)

All free admission All without a programme - Food / Drinks etc layed on at Hallen.

glossop terrace

Ball Boy / Girl
No problems getting in at Heswall but kick off was an hour later than published at 2pm.

Three other well known local faces in attendance and getting into the swing of talking rubbish again realised how much i had missed the interaction with people outside the family bubble.

Hopefully by the start of competitive football i will be able to drive far enough to visit some new venues.

IAN S

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles & Kendal Town
Wombwell 0-2 Belper for me too. Calculated attendance as 140 (plus 2 non league dogs). Cracking club, and a really good ground for the level and kept parity against a much higher side with a far larger squad for 71 minutes too, which bodes well. Combined it with most of elsecar v Appleby frodingham in the cricket too (will update other sports thread) to try and make some use of hotel/travel booked for snooker at crucible 🤒
Judging by Twitter there was quite a few hoppers in attendance, at least two with cameras in tow.

Pawn Of Prophecy

Junior Team Star
Wraysbury 1 Claygate Royals 0

Attendance - h/c 30. No personal details required. Weather - warm and sunny.

Wraysbury are in the Thames Valley Premier at Step 7 and play at the War Memorial Ground, an open space at the far end of the village, near to the green (cricket here today) and the disused windmill. Claygate spent last season in Division 1 of the Surrey South Eastern at Step 9, but on Friday announced that they are switching to the Middlesex County Division 1 at Step 8. They groundshare at CCL Molesey.

We played 3 thirds of 30 minutes. Start was delayed to enable some dog poo to be removed from the pitch ! The match overall was fairly uneventful except for two moments. The first was the goal - a very good strike from the edge of the box by Wraysbury's #14 Kenwright after 26.

The second incident was more disturbing. On 42 the Wraysbury 9 and CR 15 came together near the touchline ( and near to me) and fell in a heap on top of each other. As if in slow motion, this developed over a few seconds into a tussle between the two. upon which the CR player suddenly shouted out " he's F...ing bit me". Both sides then piled in some to join in the scrap, some to separate them. For a few moments it was chaos, with the ref of course whistling like a lunatic..

Once it had settled down the CR player was booked but before the ref dealt with the #9, the Wraysbury manager said that they were taking him off. The ref said fine and that he wasn't allow to come back again. We than played for 5 more minutes before the ref stopped play and told Wraysbury they still had 11 players and that they should only have 10. So he had been sent off, despite me never having seen a red card. When the third section of the match started we were back to 11 v 11.

Wraysbury were the better side and deserved the win but Claygate improved as the match went on., although they seemed to lack a cutting edge, as they had some good chances to equalise but missed all of them.

Warwickian

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Leamington
Cropredy 8 Hook Norton 2

A revisit to what was Priors Sports ground in Priors Marston. Priors are no longer around and the ground thesedays is used by Chasewell Park in the Banbury & District Lord Jersey FA. Nice countryside setting and with an attendance of just 21 plenty of room for social distancing.
A very easy win for Cropredy against Hooky who only just had a starting eleven with the goals coming at regular intervals.The ground is as basic as it was when I visited many years ago to see Leamington in a pre-season friendly although I'm sure the dugouts are a more recent addition.
Just to repeat what other posters have said,it felt good to watch a game after so many weeks and although the standard wasn't the highest it was still enjoyable!

Peterw

Ball Boy / Girl
Basildon Town Reserves 0 Lakeside 3

Tidy ground with a bar...did not hang around for the 1st team that followed as s lift got me to...

Hatfield Peverel 0 Rayleigh Town 4

Temperature check and contact details given, I found a nice set up serving hot food and alcohol.

Thanks to Dave for the lift and Andrew for the lift to the station for the train home. An unexpected double to start the season....

Planning on Fleetlands FC and Buckhurst this week....

RussWWFC

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Wycombe Wanderers
Game 1 of 2020/21 (12:30)
Basildon Town Reserves 0
Lakeside 3
Attendance: 63

Game 2 of 2020/21 (14:30)
Basildon Town 3
Barnston 1
Attendance: 66

Ground 912 - Blog, pics & a couple of goals here:

dtr1989

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Bury FC
Hurst Green 1-3 Clitheroe
Venue: Smithy Row
Attendance: circa 120
KO: 3pm
Admission: Free, donation given

What a beautiful village in the middle of Lancashire. The ground had a stunning backdrop of Pendle hill and surrounding farm land. The ground is just a railed pitch (a well kept railed pitch) on a slope with uneven parts. There was a portacabin for changing facilities, loos and refreshments. Surrounded by a small cemetery and stiles into the fields with cattle and sheep. The village has a huge grade 1 listed school with beautiful grounds.

The game itself was bitty, expected as much as it was the first friendly for both sides. Hurst Green are step 7 (West Lancashire League) and Clitheroe are step 4 (Northern League division 1). Clitheroe started the better side and dominated the first half. The left winger Conor Gaul was causing problems, turning the full back inside out, and his crossing was pinpoint. The striker Kieran Feeney, a 19 year old formerly of Wolves & Barnsley, was a pest and scored twice before a long range effort made it 0-3 by half time.

The 2nd half saw 10 changes for Clitheroe including a Trialist keeper Harry O’Brien. O’Brien saved a penalty before giving away another by dallying on the ball and fouling the striker when tackled. He couldn’t keep the 2nd penalty out following a change in taker. The game pretty much petered out after that.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks