Rugby League Law Change?

Andy D

Junior Team Starter
Something I noticed for the first time yesterday at the GB Police v Torfaen Tigers game. Following the award of a penalty, rather than the team awarded the penalty kicking for touch, the referee took the ball and advanced it 10 yards from where a tap was taken. Is this something new for 2020? Is it something designed to speed up the game?

Leyther_Matt

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries, Hibernian
Something I noticed for the first time yesterday at the GB Police v Torfaen Tigers game. Following the award of a penalty, rather than the team awarded the penalty kicking for touch, the referee took the ball and advanced it 10 yards from where a tap was taken. Is this something new for 2020? Is it something designed to speed up the game?
Penalties on the canal-side touchline at Leigh Miners are always a tap 10m further forward rather than kicking to touch and risk losing the ball in the canal. Without knowing the surroundings of the ground, was there the possibility of something similar there?

Andy D

Junior Team Starter
Penalties on the canal-side touchline at Leigh Miners are always a tap 10m further forward rather than kicking to touch and risk losing the ball in the canal. Without knowing the surroundings of the ground, was there the possibility of something similar there?
No. It's an enclosed ground (ex Castleton Gabriels FC) but nothing that wouldn't be solved by several balls being available, which there were, as conversions regularly disappeared out of the ground.

Leyther_Matt

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries, Hibernian
No. It's an enclosed ground (ex Castleton Gabriels FC) but nothing that wouldn't be solved by several balls being available, which there were, as conversions regularly disappeared out of the ground.
Hadn't realised it was at Mayfield until seeing your earlier post. It certainly isn't a law change for the season so can only assume it was agreed between the teams to limit the loss of balls - maybe they're easier to retrieve from behind the sticks than along the side, but that's the best I can come up with.

Stoodley Pike

Junior Team Starter
It is extremely common in amateur rugby league, Andy. Been happening for years. In my experience, it takes place even at grounds which aren't constricted in some way. However, as I recall, at the Sherwood-Wests cup tie yesterday, plenty of penalties were kicked to touch, rather than the 10m advance and tap option being taken.

seagull

Ball Boy / Girl
Yep, been in the amateur game for as long as I can remember to avoid ball loss. Seems to be something that's agreed before the game between the captains and match officials. Lost count of how many grounds I've seen it in operation down the years! It was applied at Barrow Island on Saturday as it normally is, holly bush down much of one side and badly overgown and contaminated land beyond the hedge on the other.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks