Round Robin where teams play none of the others in their group!

Oxford Stone

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Maidstone United
Kind of - wiki says:
The main competition consisted of two groups, each with four English, and four Italian teams. Each team would play four group games – against every team in its group from the other nation. Then, the top team in each group from each nation competed in semi-finals: an all-English semi-final, and an all-Italian semi-final. The final was a single match played at Wembley.

Part-Timer

Junior Team Star
Thought so. It explains why the only Anglo-Italian Cup match I went to was a semi final between Derby and Brentford. :rolleyes:

Zebedee

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Southport
Rugby union's Continental Shield (third tier European competition) used this sort of format for three editions - two groups of four, with each side playing the teams in the other group once. Group winners then advanced to playoffs. In 2016-17 the top teams in Pool A, Krasny Yar and Petrarca, both won all four of their group teams but Petrarca were eliminated as the got one less bonus point. Meanwhile Mogliano advanced from group B with two wins and two defeats.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks